post #31 of 2450 Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV View Post

Think my paradigm studio 60s + cc690 want a little more power that my 607 is providing. Hadn't really noticed it until I bought a pair of studio 10's & pioneer elite integrated amp for the office. It also could be differences between the rooms here at the office and home.

Now I just have to figure out if the 709 is what I want or not. I'll have to keep watching to see if people start running into problems. Almost wish I had of pulled trigger on the 809 @ newegg last week.

Yeah, you and I both. I wonder if somebody will post it on AVS if that deal comes back?!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2450 Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I'm still SICK to my stomach missing that deal. I came back from 3 week vacation turned on my Onkyo 876 and no HDMI works. Heat issue and hdmi board problem finally caught up to me. Mind you this was ONE day AFTER the deal ended. That deal couldn't saved me, but no.

I also wonder if 709 would do me but I feel, having studio 100's that they need all the juice I can give them monsters.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #33 of 2450 Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else noticed a delay in video and audio when first turning everything on?

I have my cable box, tv, and DVD hooked up to the 709 exactly the way have it shown with the quick setup instructions that come with the unit.

I'm using basic, cheap HDMI cables I had bought off of EBAY a while ago.

When I turn everything on, it seems like it takes 10-15 seconds for the video signal to be picked up.

Is there a better way of hooking up the other components to the receiver?

Should I upgrade the HDMI cables to better, Monster cables?
post #34 of 2450 Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNH View Post

Has anyone else noticed a delay in video and audio when first turning everything on?

I have my cable box, tv, and DVD hooked up to the 709 exactly the way have it shown with the quick setup instructions that come with the unit.

I'm using basic, cheap HDMI cables I had bought off of EBAY a while ago.

When I turn everything on, it seems like it takes 10-15 seconds for the video signal to be picked up.

Is there a better way of hooking up the other components to the receiver?

Should I upgrade the HDMI cables to better, Monster cables?

Cables should not make a difference. It does take a few seconds to complete the handshake and will probably vary based upon the source (cable/dvd) and the display. All HDMI receivers have to handshake with HDMI receivers, which can cause a momentary delay. It's part of the "wonderful" technology that is HDMI.
post #35 of 2450 Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Liked: 14
Would turning on the various components in a different order make a difference?

source > display > AVR?
post #36 of 2450 Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 AM

The other thing I noticed is that the picture on my tv goes beyond the edge of the screen a little bit. It's most noticeable when you go into the AVR's Setup and try to view the setup menus.

Any thoughts on what I should adjust?
post #37 of 2450 Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNH View Post

The other thing I noticed is that the picture on my tv goes beyond the edge of the screen a little bit. It's most noticeable when you go into the AVR's Setup and try to view the setup menus.

Any thoughts on what I should adjust?

Both your tv and receiver have zoom features. Make sure neither are on.
post #38 of 2450 Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Yea I'm still SICK to my stomach missing that deal. I came back from 3 week vacation turned on my Onkyo 876 and no HDMI works. Heat issue and hdmi board problem finally caught up to me. Mind you this was ONE day AFTER the deal ended. That deal couldn't saved me, but no.

I also wonder if 709 would do me but I feel, having studio 100's that they need all the juice I can give them monsters.

The 809 is back on sale. Guessing that if I don't have any problems with heat with a 607 and have about the same amount of shelf room for the 709 or 809, I shouldn't have any issues with heat, right?
post #39 of 2450 Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The higher end onkyo models were very much hotter than the lower end ones. I had mine on TOP of stand in open air, WITH fan blowing on it, and yet the hdmi board still failed in just two years. You can not keep a receiver cooler than what I did. Also it says in the manual itself to NOT put it in a shelf placement. It's supposed to have like 4 inches on every side clear at the least.

I had mine in shelf with fans on it anyway so make certain it was cool. But then I got some crazy issue ( http://www.youtube.com/user/hdtv00#p/u/7/yimcSrsCMdM ) it did that when I put it in the shelf. I had it replaced, the 2nd unit did it as well. It was NOT the hdmi cords and it ONLY did that when I ran it through the 876 while in a shelf.

No way on earth I'm putting the 809 in the shelf.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #40 of 2450 Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM

i hate you have to manually turn off zone 2 power to get 7.1 this is stupid. it should automatically switch.
post #41 of 2450 Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsccr View Post
i hate you have to manually turn off zone 2 power to get 7.1 this is stupid. it should automatically switch.
That's the way every 7 amp receiver works.
post #42 of 2450 Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM

my old SR804 did it automatically.
post #43 of 2450 Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
my old SR804 did it automatically.
No it didn't. If you had zone 2 on, you only had 5.1 in your main room. Owned the same receiver. Zone 2 used the surround backs amps.

See page 6 and 83 of the 804 manual for confirmation.
post #44 of 2450 Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM

I have the 509 (had the Denon AVR-588 before that) and am thinking of upgrading to the 709. I have the following questions about the 709:

- does it have automatic volume control? the Denon 588 had a setting that would allow the receiver to always start at minimum volume level and to set a selectable limit to the max volume output. These are very important settings when you have kids around :-). The Onkyo 509 does not seem to have this setting. Does the 709?

- Is there a way to turn off the TV and still be able to listen to an HDMI audio/video source? I have an appleTV connected via HDMI to the Onkyo, which is then connected to the TV via HDMI out. I want to be able to listen to the appleTV radio stations with the TV off. When I turn off the TV, however, the AppleTV sound also shuts down. Is there a way to keep the audio on? I've also noticed with the 509 that, once I turn the TV back on to listen to the AppleTV radio again, the sound does not come on (a glitch?). I have to switch to a different AppleTV media source (e.g. movies), to get the audio back. Confusing.

Thank you
post #45 of 2450 Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM

I have an additional question. If I have a DVD player (Oppo 981HD in my case) connected to the Onkyo receiver via HDMI, and the Onkyo then connected to the TV via HDMI out, which video processing chipset am I using to process the DVD video? The DVD player's or the receiver's? is there a way to choose?

Thank you.
post #46 of 2450 Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macauley86 View Post

I have the 509 (had the Denon AVR-588 before that) and am thinking of upgrading to the 709. I have the following questions about the 709:

- does it have automatic volume control? the Denon 588 had a setting that would allow the receiver to always start at minimum volume level and to set a selectable limit to the max volume output. These are very important settings when you have kids around :-). The Onkyo 509 does not seem to have this setting. Does the 709?

- Is there a way to turn off the TV and still be able to listen to an HDMI audio/video source? I have an appleTV connected via HDMI to the Onkyo, which is then connected to the TV via HDMI out. I want to be able to listen to the appleTV radio stations with the TV off. When I turn off the TV, however, the AppleTV sound also shuts down. Is there a way to keep the audio on? I've also noticed with the 509 that, once I turn the TV back on to listen to the AppleTV radio again, the sound does not come on (a glitch?). I have to switch to a different AppleTV media source (e.g. movies), to get the audio back. Confusing.

Thank you

to your first question, yes.

to your second connection, run an optical out of the apple tv and ensure that the hdmi cec is turned off on the tv.
post #47 of 2450 Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an additional question. If I have a DVD player (Oppo 981HD in my case) connected to the Onkyo receiver via HDMI, and the Onkyo then connected to the TV via HDMI out, which video processing chipset am I using to process the DVD video? The DVD player's or the receiver's? is there a way to choose?

Thank you.

Try source direct (or original) on the 981 with the resolution set to 1080p or auto on the onkyo, then compare it to the oppo upscaling to 1080p
post #48 of 2450 Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. I was hoping I could avoid using an optical cable, but I guess I'll have to go that route. As for the video chipset, which is the one used by default? Thank you much.
post #49 of 2450 Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Has anyone that just recently purchased a 709, been able to successfully register with vTuner so that you can save favorites?

I've registered my unit with Onkyo, and have a Club Onkyo account now, but Onkyo.vtuner.com doesn't recognize it, and I see no other place to register for an account with vTuner.
post #50 of 2450 Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. I was hoping I could avoid using an optical cable, but I guess I'll have to go that route. As for the video chipset, which is the one used by default? Thank you much.

depends on the native resolution of the source. apple tv outputs 720p. the qdeo chip would upscale that to 1080p
post #51 of 2450 Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
well....i've loved my 709 thus far but with amazon's generous return policy and the 809 being on sale for only $50 more than what i paid upgrading to the 809 is just too hard to refuse. i miss the extra power my 805 had a little and for such a small price increase with the sale can't resist.
post #52 of 2450 Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Will the 709/809 let you listen to 7.1 sound with the speaker setup of powered Zone 2 but with zone 2 physically off? Will it convert down to 5.1 when Zone 2 is turned on?

I would like to have my 7.1 (center backs) setup hooked and in use 90% of the time. But during that 10% when i want to fire up the deck speakers, i would like to simply turn on Zone 2 and have the living room go down to 5.1 while i use the powered Zone 2.

Will the 709/809 function in this manner?

Thanks!!
post #53 of 2450 Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11
I just picked up my 709 last night (replacing a TX-DS696 that got taken out by lightning) and I'm still trying to figure everything out.

Probably important to note that I also replaced my TV (a big ol' 36" Sony Wega) with a nice slim 52" Sharp Aquos. And the old TV was just HDMI ready, not HDMI, so I had to use it in conjunction with an HD receiver, and an HDMI router (since the Wega had only a single HDMI port and I also have a Blu-Ray). So, this new setup means I get rid of two components - yay!

I don't subscribe to any cable or satellite tv - I just use the excellent OTA signals, with a good outdoor antenna, and that works great for me. I guess I thought that ALL of the video would be run through the 709, but when I looked at the back, I realized that there was no HD antenna connection, so my antenna is connected directly to the TV. So, my first question is...how the heck do I get the TV sound to play through my receiver/speakers? I see a weird looking tiny plug, and an optical plug...and yes I have read the manual, and these are the two methods that it lists. I have no optical cord...and I don't have any idea what that other tiny plug is.

Can anyone 1) give me some idea of what that little plug is and what kind of cable I would need? And 2) Is one connection better than the other?

I was going to connect the Bluray up straight to an HDMI port in the TV, until I realized that I had this audio issue, so I connected it to the 709 and then the HDMI MAIN out to the TV...and that seems to do the trick. One thing that I noticed - when we watched the Blu Ray on the tv - it displayed this little "no audio" icon at the bottom of the screen (we had audio through the receiver speakers - it worked great), as if the receiver was smart enough to talk to the tv and tell it that it was directing the audio to the speakers and not the tv. Does that even MAKE sense? I would have expected to have to mute the tv speakers....I never thought that it would do that for me. Weird?? Anyone know about this? I could find nothing in the manual.

One more thing...the receiver display...does it always stay off until you use it? I can change the tuning station, and then bam...a second later, it turns off. Again, I can't find anything in the manual on this.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
post #54 of 2450 Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I don't subscribe to any cable or satellite tv - I just use the excellent OTA signals, with a good outdoor antenna, and that works great for me. I guess I thought that ALL of the video would be run through the 709, but when I looked at the back, I realized that there was no HD antenna connection, so my antenna is connected directly to the TV. So, my first question is...how the heck do I get the TV sound to play through my receiver/speakers? I see a weird looking tiny plug, and an optical plug...and yes I have read the manual, and these are the two methods that it lists. I have no optical cord...and I don't have any idea what that other tiny plug is.

Can anyone 1) give me some idea of what that little plug is and what kind of cable I would need? And 2) Is one connection better than the other?

Hi ChessieMom, depending on your model tv ... 1) its either via HDMI cable (ARC -Audio Return Channel), Optical cable (Digital Audio Output) or RCA cables (Analog R&L - red & white). 2) HDMI cable or Optical cable.

Don't know about the "weird looking tiny plug" without know your tv model. But you could be looking at a 3.5mm input jack (normally used in conjunction with DVI/PC) and not an output jack.

Quote:
I was going to connect the Bluray up straight to an HDMI port in the TV, until I realized that I had this audio issue, so I connected it to the 709 and then the HDMI MAIN out to the TV...and that seems to do the trick. One thing that I noticed - when we watched the Blu Ray on the tv - it displayed this little "no audio" icon at the bottom of the screen (we had audio through the receiver speakers - it worked great), as if the receiver was smart enough to talk to the tv and tell it that it was directing the audio to the speakers and not the tv. Does that even MAKE sense? I would have expected to have to mute the tv speakers....I never thought that it would do that for me. Weird?? Anyone know about this? I could find nothing in the manual.

This is most likely HDMI-CEC feature on the tv. Read up on Sharp "Aquos Link".

Quote:
One more thing...the receiver display...does it always stay off until you use it? I can change the tuning station, and then bam...a second later, it turns off. Again, I can't find anything in the manual on this.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sorry don't know, possible the display brightness is turned down. Also may want to check on any firmware update for the receiver and tv. Hopefully its not the beginning of the remote command problem (see Onkyo press release bulletin).
post #55 of 2450 Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ChessieMom, depending on your model tv ... 1) its either via HDMI cable (ARC -Audio Return Channel), Optical cable (Digital Audio Output) or RCA cables (Analog R&L - red & white). 2) HDMI cable or Optical cable.

Don't know about the "weird looking tiny plug" without know your tv model. But you could be looking at a 3.5mm input jack (normally used in conjunction with DVI/PC) and not an output jack..

The manual stated that it was an audio output jack. But have never seen such a tiny plug used for that purpose...and it's single...not left and right. THere are no RCA out connections.

Quote:

This is most likely HDMI-CEC feature on the tv. Read up on Sharp "Aquos Link".

I will check that out.

Quote:

Sorry don't know, possible the display brightness is turned down. Also may want to check on any firmware update for the receiver and tv. Hopefully its not the beginning of the remote command problem (see Onkyo press release bulletin).

This isn't related to the remote. The display turns off whether I use the remote, or the buttons on the receiver itself.

Still hoping for some help on this...? The TV is a Sharp model LC52LE830U

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...C52LE830U.aspx
post #56 of 2450 Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The manual stated that it was an audio output jack. But have never seen such a tiny plug used for that purpose...and it's single...not left and right. THere are no RCA out connections.

Still hoping for some help on this...? The TV is a Sharp model LC52LE830U

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...C52LE830U.aspx

Ok, this is a 3.5mm audio out jack which is the similar to a RCA out but instead you use a "Y" cable (3.5mm to 2 RCA cables), see page 16 in OM.
post #57 of 2450 Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, this is a 3.5mm audio out jack which is the similar to a RCA out but instead you use a "Y" cable (3.5mm to 2 RCA cables), see page 16 in OM.
Page 16 is where I had found it. I was just hoping for more information as I have never heard of such a connection. Is it as good as regular RCA connectors? I mean, will it give me true stereo? I guess I can google a bit more. Maybe I need to look for a Sharp TV forum.
post #58 of 2450 Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM

One more question...there is an input labeled TV/CD...and from what I have read, I HAVE to use that connection for the audio return channel. SO....if I use that for the TV, then what do I use for my CD player?
post #59 of 2450 Old 07-25-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more question...there is an input labeled TV/CD...and from what I have read, I HAVE to use that connection for the audio return channel. SO....if I use that for the TV, then what do I use for my CD player?

Phono and rename it.
post #60 of 2450 Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:

I agree. I just set my 709 up last night. Everything actually went really well, UNTIL I got to powering up my Emotive Amp. Same problem, the 709 will not automatically start up the Emotiva like my Pioneer VSX92 did. Have to turn on the system (using Harmon One remote), THEN grab the 709 remote, hit ZONE and toggle power on. I also am disappointed with Harmony that there is no selection for ZONE in the device options. I hope someone will come up with a solution for tricking the Harmony remote into recognizing that command (no, the learning feature did NOT work
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page