Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all your posts and reading reviews i've decided on the 709. Best Buy has it for 799.00. BB says they don't match online prices but I found the 709 way cheaper online. Was think about getting it from BB bring it home set it up and going back to BB and tell them I will return it unless they match the price. What do I have to lose? They don't match I return it and order online. Anybody able to get BB to price match?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwillie View Post

After reading all your posts and reading reviews i've decided on the 709. Best Buy has it for 799.00. BB says they don't match online prices but I found the 709 way cheaper online. Was think about getting it from BB bring it home set it up and going back to BB and tell them I will return it unless they match the price. What do I have to lose? They don't match I return it and order online. Anybody able to get BB to price match?

Or you can just order it online and not go through all that BS with Best Buy. My experience with BB price matching is that they will match only if it's with another brick and mortar store that has the item in-stock. They'll just tell you to return it (after you set it all up) and resell it as open box for more money than you can find it online anyways.
post #633 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Why do you want to get it at BB so badly that you're willing to try to strong arm them? Newegg and Amazon are both reputable. If you want the peace of mind that comes from dealing with a brick and mortar store, you're gonna have to pay their prices. However, I wouldn't pay $799. That's just ridiculous. If you have a Fry's in the area, they'll match some online prices. If not, you may have to wait for the next sale. Presidents Day weekend?
post #634 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do I have to lose?

Time, hassle, possibly a 10-15% restocking fee, and it's just plain dishonest IMO. Either the ability to interact with a local store is worth the extra $$$, or it is not.

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #635 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
just noticed an issue with my 709 that has me concerned. I noticed no sound was coming out of my rear left channel, even in speaker setting mode with the whote noise. only a very faint sound coming from it. i switched around speaker inputs, speaker cable, everything, and confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the speaker or the cable paths.

has anyone had one channel just stop working properly in terms of the actual output from the Onkyo? how could one channel output get fried like this?

just purchased this from onecall (via amazon) last month, not sure if my only recourse is onkyo warranty service.

EDIT: i can try a factory reset but that would be last resort, waiting to hear if this is a problem anyone else has had an/or fixed before doing that though :-(
post #636 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM

How does the 709 know which tv I have? I have programmed the remote for the directtv and the vizio bluray player but I don't know how to set up the tv. If I use Activities menu and hit ALL Off, the directtv box and the reciever turn off but the tv stays on. I am assuming I have to set up the remote to know which tv I have but it doesn't seem to work the say way as the input selectors. I noticed in the manual that some tv's won't power off or enter standby mode but I still feel like I should have set up the tv somewhere for this to have a chance to work. Am I right? How do I program the remote for my tv?
post #637 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boria View Post

How does the 709 know which tv I have? I have programmed the remote for the directtv and the vizio bluray player but I don't know how to set up the tv. If I use Activities menu and hit ALL Off, the directtv box and the reciever turn off but the tv stays on. I am assuming I have to set up the remote to know which tv I have but it doesn't seem to work the say way as the input selectors. I noticed in the manual that some tv's won't power off or enter standby mode but I still feel like I should have set up the tv somewhere for this to have a chance to work. Am I right? How do I program the remote for my tv?

Never mind, I think I"ve got it now. I am kind of slow at figuring out this remote control thing.
post #638 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM

ok, another question,

This if for someone using directtv. Can I use the directtv dvr with the onkyo remote. If so, which button starts to record function? Which button brings up the recorded list?
post #639 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
ok, another question,

This if for someone using directtv. Can I use the directtv dvr with the onkyo remote. If so, which button starts to record function? Which button brings up the recorded list?
Hi Boria, save yourself from the headache of trying to figure it out ... get a Harmony remote.
post #640 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Boria, save yourself from the headache of trying to figure it out ... get a Harmony remote.

I have considered the harmony remote. Just don't know if it works that well or if it will control my components any better than the onkyo remote. Can the harmony remote be programmed to work every function of my directtv remote? Will the harmony remote work the functions of the 709? Will I loose any of the 709 functions with the harmonys?

Which one do you suggest? Would the 650 work ok? I need something basic and simple.
post #641 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

well, factory reset did not fix the problem with the rear-left-surround output from the onkyo. looks like i'm going to have to exchange it :-(
post #642 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

after switching back to the ethernet connection, i was able to finally update the firmware after multiple new error messages. there was definitely a new update recently because i only updated this about a month ago.

I was on the ethernet connection when thjs happened, so I dont think it was limited to wireless updaters.
post #643 of 2448 Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I was on the ethernet connection when thjs happened, so I dont think it was limited to wireless updaters.

is it possible the new firmware update had anything to do with me losing the left/rear surround channel output? strange that i noticed it today right after performing the update.
post #644 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If you set HDMI Through to "AUTO" (p. 58) you can pass any HDMI input connected to the AVR through to the TV.

Thanks! It worked.
post #645 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:

I have considered the harmony remote. Just don't know if it works that well or if it will control my components any better than the onkyo remote. Can the harmony remote be programmed to work every function of my directtv remote? Will the harmony remote work the functions of the 709? Will I loose any of the 709 functions with the harmonys?

Which one do you suggest? Would the 650 work ok? I need something basic and simple.

I'm a big fan of Harmony remotes, I've owned them for years. Trust me when I tell you that they will learn anything you want them to learn... and will do anything you want it to do. But go for the 700 model. I went through three defective model 650s before Logitech sent me a model 700 as a replacement. So far, that thing has been bulletproof. I love it.
post #646 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Liked: 11
I had the same error code. I've found that it is so much faster and *safer* to download and extract the firmware update to a USB stick drive. Installs very quickly and less chance of a glitch.

Samsung UN65ES6500
Onkyo TX-NR809
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590
Boston Acoustic VR 30 Fronts
Boston Acoustic VR 20 Surrounds
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
post #647 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

i'm about to drop my month-old 709 off at fedex for an exchange from onecall. if anyone else has ever experienced one of the sets of speaker outputs just stop working, and found out a fix, let me know asap!
post #648 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:

ok, another question,

I have directv dvr, running to 709 through CBL/SAT input. I'm at work right now so I cant tell you specifically which 709 remote buttons control what on the dvr, but when I started pushing buttons I was pleasantly surprised at how many functions responded. Just play with it and you'll see.
post #649 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 1597
Quote:

ok, another question,

Based on the table provided on p. 71, RECORD is not listed so you may not have the function from the Onkyo remote; however, you can likely use the LEARN feature (p. 72) to teach the Onkyo remote the RECORD button and whatever other buttons are missing directly from the DVR remote.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #650 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am 0 for 2 on this receiver. HDMI on BD/DVD input died after only a few hours of use. Amazon exchange, second one, same thing. Worked for a couple of hours then the BD/DVD input died. I unplugged the BD HDMI cable and plugged it into the next input (VCR) and it passes video and audio. So I know its the input and not something else. SAT input (Directv HR21-100) and PC still work. But haven't spent much time using those inputs so far. Maybe they will die too if I use them for a few hours.

I didn't find much on this issue when searching this thread, maybe wrong search words??? Not many complaints here but Amazons reviews bring up HDMI issues quite a bit. Not sure why as I expect to find more critical reviews here.

I really like this receiver but not sure if I should try a third one.

No one else with this problem?
post #651 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post

I am 0 for 2 on this receiver. HDMI on BD/DVD input died after only a few hours of use. Amazon exchange, second one, same thing. Worked for a couple of hours then the BD/DVD input died. I unplugged the BD HDMI cable and plugged it into the next input (VCR) and it passes video and audio. So I know its the input and not something else. SAT input (Directv HR21-100) and PC still work. But haven't spent much time using those inputs so far. Maybe they will die too if I use them for a few hours.

I didn't find much on this issue when searching this thread, maybe wrong search words??? Not many complaints here but Amazons reviews bring up HDMI issues quite a bit. Not sure why as I expect to find more critical reviews here.

My first unit failed on me, but it was unrelated to the HDMI issue you seem to be experiencing. My second unit has been great since the summer.
post #652 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM

just got my 709 yesterday $649.99 at top choice electronics in woodbridge ontario canada

got it up and running needed to make 2 calls to onkyo tech found them helpful knowledgable and polite

i went to try my my computer setup tonight ran int a bit of a snag

so desk top is hooked up to 709 with rgb cable or whatever its called and sound is 3.5 mini plug to rca split to PC in on 709 so i turn desk top on and every thing starts up normally i get so far and all of a sudden there are 2 blue squares on top screen and bottom of screen is overed with closely spaced red horizontal lines and i get no further any ideas

first part of start up is completely normal all graphics are correct

i have tx-nr709b model hopefully hdmi problems have been corrected

thanks in advance for you help
post #653 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie View Post

Ummm...no, I have a turntable as well. "Game" maybe?? Would that be an option?

use aux imput thats what i did
post #654 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post

Update: Just got home from work and thought I would see if it magically healed itself, and surprise - surprise the input is working. (Crapped out last night). I'm going to put on a movie and see what happens. Strange that it's the same problem on two units. BD player is an Oppo BDP-83. Nothing worse than intermittent electronics.
post #655 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM

did it just go out while you were watching, or did you switch inputs and get a blank screen?

I've had the second thing happen to me a couple times, and switching inputs fixes it (although sometimes it takes a few tries). i don't recall if it affected sound or just video. I've been assuming it's some kind of HDMI negotiation glitch and not a hardware problem, but that could just be wishful thinking.

of course, it could be completely unrelated to your issue too...
post #656 of 2448 Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I received mine today from Amazon. It arrived in 4 days, in perfect shape. I have my DirecTV HD, Blu-Ray and Xbox all connected to the 709 via HDMI, and then an HDMI to my Samsung 60" 6042. I updated the firmware the second it was out of the box, and have since been playing with it all day. I run a 5.1 set up with 5 NHT SuperZero 2.0s and a Cadence CSX-12 sub. I have been cramming the manual well before I received it, so everything has been pretty uneventful.

I ran Audyssey, and set the sound fields to THX Cinema.....Wow! It sounds incredible. Night and day difference between this and my Yamaha RX-V471. We will use the crap out of the 709, as it will be on 100% of the time when we watch TV, DVD, Blu-Ray and Xbox.......... I do have a couple of Audyssey questions, but it's late, and I'm fried!

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #657 of 2448 Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that when i select the "custom" mode (with everything set to neutral, the way it comes out of the box), the colors are different from the other modes. The other modes seem to have a distinctly warmer tint (more red). Do any of you experience the same thing?

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #658 of 2448 Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have my video set to 1080p, and I agree that it is a warmer color tone. I can't say for certain that upscaling DirecTV from 1080i to 1080p has a huge effect or not on picture quality. My lipsync is perfect on all channels now, which wasn't the case with my Yamaha.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #659 of 2448 Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post

did it just go out while you were watching, or did you switch inputs and get a blank screen?

I've had the second thing happen to me a couple times, and switching inputs fixes it (although sometimes it takes a few tries). i don't recall if it affected sound or just video. I've been assuming it's some kind of HDMI negotiation glitch and not a hardware problem, but that could just be wishful thinking.

of course, it could be completely unrelated to your issue too...

I was watching a movie, about 1/2 way through, and the picture went "streaky" for a fraction of a second as the image collapsed, then blue screen and no audio. I switched to a different input then back but blue screen remained. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it into the VCR HDMI input and got picture and sound back. Plugged it back into the BD/DVD input but blue screen was still there. This has happened more than once. The first unit did the same thing and it never recovered. This one recovered after being off for several hours. I will continue to see if I can figure out what's going on. Does HDCP keep checking or does it only check at initial startup between devices?

The good news is it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem.

I ran Audyssey last night and OMG does it sound good now! Best the theater has ever sounded.
post #660 of 2448 Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM

I don't know the answer to your HDCP question but that does sound different than my issue... sorry
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page