Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
got my exchanged 709 yesterday - after setting everything up and running Audyssey (same locations i measures with my first 709) - went back and set my channels and crossovers and what i'm hearing doesn't sound anything like the 709 i just sent back for the exchange (rear left channel wasn't outputting). Bass is fine, but the high end/treble sounds terrible - hollow and shrill with little fidelity. and overall the surround sound doesn't sound as enveloping as what i was hearing before. i'm hoping re-running Audyssey fixes this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

How do I get an Ipod menu to show up on my TV screen? ...I just received my 709 in the mail, and cannot seem to figure this out.

I previously had a 509 that I sold because I wanted to go 7.1 and be able to amp my front speakers. On my 509, when I plugged the Ipod in and selected "USB" the Ipod menu would come up on my TV screen --> it shows Music, Artists, Albums, etc. just like you would see on the Ipod screen. When I tried my 709 today, my TV screen just stayed blue.

Anyone?

post #723 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
new 709 should be shipped out next week.
Looking for any input on signficant differences in setting up.
I had connected:
Sony 52XBR6 HDMI
TIME WARNER DVR HDMI
PS3 Slim HDMI (BITSTREAM)
WII Component Cable
CD/DVD Optical/Component
Onkyo DAS3 IPOD player
7.1 Klipsch 52II Reference series BANANA PLUGS

Hope to be able to add wireless streaming from PC's/NOTEBOOKS/IPHONE/IPAD/ITOUCH FOR MUSIC?

I HOPE TO DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL SO I AM READY FOR SUPERBOWL. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I AM HOPING MOST OF THE SETTINGS WILL BE ALIKE
THANKS
post #724 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

Send the wife back....I suspect, the repair (if possible) will be quick as they'll want to get her out of the shop quickly

Hah! It is amazing to me the amount of posts in these forums that reference unhappy wives or a decision that was made based on a wife's input.
post #725 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnowinny View Post

new 709 should be shipped out next week.
Looking for any input on signficant differences in setting up.
I had connected:
Sony 52XBR6 HDMI
TIME WARNER DVR HDMI
PS3 Slim HDMI (BITSTREAM)
WII Component Cable
CD/DVD Optical/Component
Onkyo DAS3 IPOD player
7.1 Klipsch 52II Reference series BANANA PLUGS

Hope to be able to add wireless streaming from PC's/NOTEBOOKS/IPHONE/IPAD/ITOUCH FOR MUSIC?

I HOPE TO DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL SO I AM READY FOR SUPERBOWL. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I AM HOPING MOST OF THE SETTINGS WILL BE ALIKE
THANKS

Should perform better. Setup the same as the old 707 but first doe a firmware upgrade before any configuration or personalization.

No more audible clicking from my 709 with my Tivo switching audio encoding modes which was very annoying. Runs much cooler. You should be happy.
post #726 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM

D Bone,

Thanks so much for all the advice, very helpful. I'm going to switch my crossovers to 80 for both my center and mains. Just a few more questions:

1) I suspect I should change the crossovers post audyssey setup, is that accurate? I can't recall if it allows me to change them on the "save" step of audyssey calibration: if so should I switch them mid-setup?

2) will switching the crossovers to something different than what audyssey detects render the audyssey eq settings obsolete or less effective?

3) Do I really need to measure the sound at 8 different listening positions in the room?

Thanks again for all your help!
post #727 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnowinny View Post

THANKS

Download the manual and latest firmware from this page:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d

Quote:

How do I get an Ipod menu to show up on my TV screen? ...I just received my 709 in the mail, and cannot seem to figure this out.

I previously had a 509 that I sold because I wanted to go 7.1 and be able to amp my front speakers. On my 509, when I plugged the Ipod in and selected "USB" the Ipod menu would come up on my TV screen --> it shows Music, Artists, Albums, etc. just like you would see on the Ipod screen. When I tried my 709 today, my TV screen just stayed blue.

I don't use an iPod, so I can't help you, but I'm sure someone here will chime in?

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #728 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon76 View Post

D Bone,

Thanks so much for all the advice, very helpful. I'm going to switch my crossovers to 80 for both my center and mains. Just a few more questions:

1) I suspect I should change the crossovers post audyssey setup, is that accurate? I can't recall if it allows me to change them on the "save" step of audyssey calibration: if so should I switch them mid-setup?

2) will switching the crossovers to something different than what audyssey detects render the audyssey eq settings obsolete or less effective?

3) Do I really need to measure the sound at 8 different listening positions in the room?

Thanks again for all your help!

Yes, you change the x-overs after you run Audyssey, and it will not effect Audyssey in any way. From what Audyssey says, more the better, that being said, I used 5 measurements myself.

What ever you do, make sure the 1st measurement is where the "Master Listening Position" is because that measurement is the one that sets all of your speaker trims and distances. I placed the 1st mic right where my head would be in "my" recliner, and from there, I just created a "bubble" around our listen area. I didn't try to do the whole room, as I really only care about mine, and my wife's seats.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #729 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

Have you tried selecting "Mode (THX)" button?
post #730 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikivan View Post

Hi guys, I've been enjoying my 709 for couple weeks now. I think I might have an issue, though. The receiver plays 2.0 material very well, however when playing 5.1 I am not happy with the center channel. It just feels 'weird' . The dialogues sound thin and lifeless and there is no punch. I've tried every possible setting including raising the level from -3db (set by the calibration) to +1db and still no joy. In comparison my Yamaha 671, and even my 10 y.o. Kenwood VR-209 sound just great with the same set of speakers (TSi400 x 2 plus CS10). When listen to Onkyo there is a feeling that the processor simply decides not to send some parts of the track to the center speaker. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Could it be defective unit? Please share your suggestion how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks.

this is the SAME EXACT issue i am facing with my second 709. the first one did not have this weird sounding center channel issue. it's like the fidelity has been sapped from the center channel. i am hoping that re-running Audyssey will help but i'm a little worried i'm 0-2 with the 709 so far :-(
post #731 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Update - tried Audyssey calibration again, and now it's even worse than before. the only way things sound normal now is in DIRECT mode. when dolby digital or any sound option is selected it's like ALL of the bass is being sapped out of the channels, almost like the crossover isn't working right (i changed the crossovers back to 80khz after the calibration).

what i'm hearing is exactly what Nikivan described with their new 709. My first 709 sounded 10000x better (until one of the channels stopped outputting).

is it possible something is screwy with the latest firmware update? my first 709 had the problem with the missing surround output after installing the latest firmware, and this second 709 has the latest firmware.

the sound is "normal" in DIRECT mode (center channel sounds fine, mix sounds even), and then it sounds like an AM radio put into surround mode. subwoofer seems to be handling the right amount of bass, it's the mains that seem to be sapped of all fidelity.

very frustrating...hoping there is some setting i am just not remembering or same magic trick that will work because i really don't want to ship back another 709 :-(
post #732 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp11 View Post

I noticed the same thing,i adjusted the volume of the centre,but it just does not have any meat,or impact in the voices like you said,its tinny.

I tried a yamaha 667,and it was much better,and im not using some cheap centre,its a B&W HTM4.

My speaker sounded impressive with an old Akai 5.1 stereo ,but sounds mediocre with an Onkyo 709?.

so not just nikivan having same problem as me, just noticed this post too. these descriptions are EXACTLY what i am hearing. the 709 is not supposed to sound like this as i had great fidelity with my first one. this is STRANGE.

Nikivan and mrp11 - did you ever find anything that helped the issue? this must be some kind of recent defect as these werenot issues in the my first 709.
post #733 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlind01 View Post

Have you tried selecting "Mode (THX)" button?

No...but what would that have to do with the Ipod's display showing up on my TV?

post #734 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

so not just nikivan having same problem as me, just noticed this post too. these descriptions are EXACTLY what i am hearing. the 709 is not supposed to sound like this as i had great fidelity with my first one. this is STRANGE.

Nikivan and mrp11 - did you ever find anything that helped the issue? this must be some kind of recent defect as these werenot issues in the my first 709.

You must have a defective unit I guess? There is no setting that you are not applying that when off, makes the unit sound like an AM radio. Does it sound this bad with Audyssey both on & off?

post #735 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

You must have a defective unit I guess? There is no setting that you are not applying that when off, makes the unit sound like an AM radio. Does it sound this bad with Audyssey both on & off?

in DIRECT mode things sound fine, but obviously i want to take advantage of the audyssey and surround modes. the DIRECT results lead me to believe that the unit is capable of outputting the correct sound, but since two other posters have very recently described the same exact thing, it really makes me wonder if something is either wrong with a very large batch of new 709's or that something is funky with the latest firmware update.

could something be wrong with the audyssey mic?

also, other than using Direct mode, there really isn't a way to turn audyssey off, is there?

my first 709 sounded great after running audyssey, but with the new exchanged unit, i am hearing exactly what those two people i responded to are hearing. it's a very weird and specific lack of fidelity and i find it strange numerous people are all of the sudden having the same issue.

regardless, this is likely going back to onecall (again) and i'll have to try my luck with another brand/model. going 0-2 with 709's in a two month period doesn't bode well
post #736 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

it's definitely an issue with Audyssey - i just ran through the setup again and this time turned it all off on the final "save" page, and everything sounds great again, without having to use DIRECT. i wonder if something is wrong with the mic? i noticed this one was silver, the first 709 i had came with a black setup mic. or something weird with the new firmware and how the audyssey setup works? maybe people who calibrated before the new firmware aren't affected.

update, found this thread on the onkyo forums, may indeed be an issue with audyssey calibration and current firmware:

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotio...ration-problem
post #737 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM

I just ordered one of these. Hooking it up to

Front - Polk Audio A9's
Center - a6
rears- fti a6
post #738 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

No...but what would that have to do with the Ipod's display showing up on my TV?

Because that's the MODE button that you must press for the IPoD or IPhone to show up on your TV using the Dock.

I was pressing the MODE button near the top in the REMOTE section and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong for the longest time. The THX Mode button is how you get a docked IPond to display the playlists and videos on your TV.
post #739 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^Yep, it looks like page 68 of the manual talks about the mode button and what is displayed on the TV with an ipod.

post #740 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^^Yep, it looks like page 68 of the manual talks about the mode button and what is displayed on the TV with an ipod.

I purchased my 709 from OneCall open-box and did not receive a manual, but thanks for the info.

Quote:

Because that's the MODE button that you must press for the IPoD or IPhone to show up on your TV using the Dock.

I was pressing the MODE button near the top in the REMOTE section and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong for the longest time. The THX Mode button is how you get a docked IPond to display the playlists and videos on your TV.

Odd, but of course this worked. Thanks!!

post #741 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I purchased my 709 from OneCall open-box and did not receive a manual, but thanks for the info.

You can download it from here:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d

post #742 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

i wonder if anyone here who doesn't use audyssey for whatever reason (and wouldn't suffer from the results ) could download the new firmware and also see if they can replicate the odd sounds some of us are hearing when doing the calibration now. it's like a hollow tinny sound spread across the mains and surrounds with nominal bass from the sub.

just like the video processor presets that do a lot more harm than good unless you know what to switch it to, i fear a lot of people will buy this otherwise great receiver and use the audyssey calibration on new firmware units and think that it's a bad gimmick that doesn't work, when it can and should sound a lot better.

my bet is the new firmware is fine for people who have already calibrated, it's likely something wrong in the calibration/calculation going on now.
post #743 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:

WOW ! Thank you
post #744 of 2416 Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:

it's definitely an issue with Audyssey - i just ran through the setup again and this time turned it all off on the final "save" page, and everything sounds great again, without having to use DIRECT. i wonder if something is wrong with the mic? i noticed this one was silver, the first 709 i had came with a black setup mic. or something weird with the new firmware and how the audyssey setup works? maybe people who calibrated before the new firmware aren't affected.

update, found this thread on the onkyo forums, may indeed be an issue with audyssey calibration and current firmware:

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotio...ration-problem

Here is another link, different Onkyo model, but they also talk about "quiet speech" from the center channel.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post399226775
post #745 of 2416 Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikivan View Post

Here is another link, different Onkyo model, but they also talk about "quiet speech" from the center channel.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post399226775

yeah and unfortunately it's nothing that just raising the center channel level or fiddling with the EQ parameters can fix, it sounds like someone ran it through a compressor/limiter a few times and then removed all of the bass.

luckily for me the 709 sounds great in my room without audyssey being involved but i would like onkyo to address this, i am going to try calling them tomorrow.
post #746 of 2416 Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM

I have flashed my 709 with the latest firmware and done two full Audessey configs since then in the past week, and have not noticed anything weird. I did take the advice others were giving about setting the crossovers to 80 and it seemed to make it sound even better. Audessey had originally set the fronts to 40, the center to 50, and the surrounds to 60. Should the sub crossover be set at 80 or 120 in the speaker setup menu? Or should I leave the sub where Audessey put it?
post #747 of 2416 Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHawg75 View Post

I have flashed my 709 with the latest firmware and done two full Audessey configs since then in the past week, and have not noticed anything weird. I did take the advice others were giving about setting the crossovers to 80 and it seemed to make it sound even better. Audessey had originally set the fronts to 40, the center to 50, and the surrounds to 60. Should the sub crossover be set at 80 or 120 in the speaker setup menu? Or should I leave the sub where Audessey put it?

i think you should leave the lpf to 120. and setting the crossovers to 80 is going to be right for most people's setups.

i changed the crossovers back to 80 but the weird center channel issue persisted, so i am leaving audyssey off for now and enjoying the 709 without it. i thought maybe the new firmware was the issue, maybe it's a combination of things. i will borrow a friend's setup mic and try again but i guess for me it's not a huge issue as what i am hearing without audyssey is just as good as when i had it up and running on my first 709. but since some folks on the onkyo forums have noticed other audyssey issues with the latest firmware, maybe the next firmware will address some of this weirdness. for those who have heard it, it's not just subtle, it's immediately noticeable, almost like zero LFE is going to the center a compression/limiter filter is on it.
post #748 of 2416 Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think you should leave the lpf to 120. and setting the crossovers to 80 is going to be right for most people's setups.

for those who have heard it, it's not just subtle, it's immediately noticeable, almost like zero LFE is going to the center a compression/limiter filter is on it.

Why would LFE ever be going to the center channel??

post #749 of 2416 Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would LFE ever be going to the center channel??

my terminology probably wasn't good - if you have the crossovers set to 80, there should be at least some bass info going to the center channel, correct? regardless, what i was hearing with audyssey was like almost all frequencies except for the very high end being cut out of the center channel. like even the mid-range was gone. almost like one of the two speaker cables wasn't connected to the channel. watching the AFC championship and the sound is great, so at least i know the receiver itself is working just fine, i just can't use audyssey in any capacity.

does anyone know if the silver mic is any different than the black mic? trying to troubleshoot this the best i can, and it seems like they gave me a different mic with my second 709...
post #750 of 2416 Old 01-22-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, got ya. My 709 is only 2 weeks old, and it came with the silver mic too. After I un-boxed it, I hooked up the HDMI main out to my TV so I would have a GUI, then I installed the latest firmware via USB before another cable was plugged in, or setting was changed. I use Audyssey EQ all the time, and I'm still experimenting with Dynamic EQ...Sometime on, sometimes off. I'm not experiencing what you are.

The latest firmware is 1111 1077 0211 1105
My unit shipped with 1061 0677 0210 8104

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page