Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I fixed my problem; I had to unplug the power cable and wait a minute then plugged it back in. After that Audyssey ran just fine. So if you do a reset and that doesn't work then try unplugging the power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESCypher View Post

Is anyone on the most current firmware having issues calibrating? I can't seem to go past the Calculating phase. I've also reset my receiver twice and that didn't help. I updated via NET and it completed successfully. After that update Audyssey doesn't seem to work any longer. I'm getting the problem I stated above.

I had that problem before the update - updated via net

No problem on full calibration with 3 positions

4 or more positions - it freezes on calculating
post #1383 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post

Anyone known if any good deals for this receiver?

See accessories4less. as of today, its the lowest i have seen, though a refurb (but just like new). I just bought one last week and paid a bit more for it.
post #1384 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Well I went ahead and did it today bought a Onkyo 709. I have had a Samsung HW-c700 for the past few years. Heard my friends onkyo 608 and loved the sound from his unit so much more than what I had at home. I have Polk cs1, monitor 50s and monitor 30s. I hope this will be a great upgrade. I live in a apartment so no sub for me. Can't wait for it to arrive.
post #1385 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1979 View Post

Well I went ahead and did it today bought a Onkyo 709. I have had a Samsung HW-c700 for the past few years. Heard my friends onkyo 608 and loved the sound from his unit so much more than what I had at home. I have Polk cs1, monitor 50s and monitor 30s. I hope this will be a great upgrade. I live in a apartment so no sub for me. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Congrats. I am in the same boat, just bought one last week. while I have only used it once so far, it "sounds" like a great upgrade for me. Hope you find it the same and really enjoy it.
post #1386 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM

welcome to the club guys... congrats on the purchases. Now hurry up and figure out how to fix the issues that we have... lol.

Seriously... someone has to know how to video one signal and audio another. And to help me with my audio issue on the computer. Surely someone hooked up their computer to one.
post #1387 of 2409 Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8yp View Post

Seriously... someone has to know how to video one signal and audio another.

Hi ten8yp, one way to watch a video and select an audio like Tuner or music source is to assign & connect it to TV/CD port - via optical, coaxial or analog. I don't believe Net and USB will work.

- select your video input source
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD" or "AM" or "FM"
post #1388 of 2409 Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Seriously... someone has to know how to video one signal and audio another. And to help me with my audio issue on the computer. Surely someone hooked up their computer to one.

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but my guess would be if you use RCA cables, hook the video cable up to one source, the audio cables to your other source, pick an input on the receiver problem solved.

Would that do what your looking for?
post #1389 of 2409 Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I had an older Pioneer Elite receiver (briefly as I returned it for other issues) in about 2001 or so, that had independent audio video source control. You selected a source normally, and then the remote had a button to cycle through the audio on the other sources. So if I selected TV, I could cycle through until I heard the radio and then still watch TV. My Sony ES I just replaced didn't have this feature, and unless I'm mistaken, the Onkyo doesn't either. It was pretty cool for couple weeks I had the Pioneer.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #1390 of 2409 Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 16
So I've had this receiver for a month or so now although I was gone on vacation for a week and have been crazy busy at work so it doesn't feel like it. When I first got this receiver, I thought it made by PSB speakers sound muddy compared to how I was used to with my Sony ES it replaced. I felt the same way with a Pioneer Elite I had about 10 years ago. I was starting to think Sony had a different sound that I preferred. Also, I haven't been able to run Audyssey because it seems like every time I had an opportunity, someone is sleeping or construction is going on outside, etc. Honestly, I didn't think it would make _THAT_ much difference.

Anyway, I finally had 20 min today to run it, and man does that fix all my issues. The music curve sounds a little tinny on the highs, off sounds like someone threw a blanket over the speakers, but that movie curve is perfect. The treble is back to what I was used to with the Sony ES (maybe even more detailed), and the bass is much better than it's ever been. I checked a low frequency sweep with my RS sound meter and it's quite a bit flatter than it's ever been in this room. Still a small spike and a dip here or there, but music sounds great.

Now to listen to my entire cd collection again.........

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #1391 of 2409 Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the responses guys... I was hoping for a digital method on both though. If I HAD to choose I would definitely want a digital audio signal and analog video but anyways...

Ozorowsky - Nah, that wouldn't work. No computers I know of have RCA video output built in. Most have VGA and SVGA, even less have HDMI if they are more recent. I do have VGA which would have split the audio and video via a specialized cable but VGA isn't Hi-Def (nor is the analog audio the special cable comes with) so it defeats the purpose for this task. The only blu-ray player I had in the house this weekend was on a desktop so we were attempting to use it... unsuccessfully obviously.

If anyone figures out how to do two simultaneous digital signals give us a shout...

-Nate
post #1392 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Hello all. I have a problem with Audyssey that is driving me crazy. I have set up my system as a 9.2 using wides, my source is a sound card 7.1channels into the receiver, which is obviously handling it as direct... well.... I'm not getting ANY sound from my wides. I have already went through the extensive Au. setup, sound came from the wides, everything was hunky dory... I have the option to put out 5.1 audio via hdmi instead... seriously, all I want is sound from all speakers, and the most audio channels out to the receiver as possible... why aren't my wides working?
post #1393 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitydreamer View Post

Hello all. I have a problem with Audyssey that is driving me crazy. I have set up my system as a 9.2 using wides, my source is a sound card 7.1channels into the receiver, which is obviously handling it as direct... well.... I'm not getting ANY sound from my wides. I have already went through the extensive Au. setup, sound came from the wides, everything was hunky dory... I have the option to put out 5.1 audio via hdmi instead... seriously, all I want is sound from all speakers, and the most audio channels out to the receiver as possible... why aren't my wides working?

Ok, well... I had worked forever to get my 7.1 out of my hdmi (trust me, I'm familiar with these drivers inside and out) but whatever, I now how "7.1" capabilities... but of course music is only 2 channel, and all the movies I currently have are 5.1... and of course, it only sends out the number of channels available, so how the heck do I get my 709 to put out to all speakers no matter how many incoming channels? Especially my darn front wides lol... sorry if I come off as rude, it's just frustrating as you can imagine. Faster the replies, the better, I want to FINALLY get this setup finished
post #1394 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Ok, well... I had worked forever to get my 7.1 out of my hdmi (trust me, I'm familiar with these drivers inside and out) but whatever, I now how "7.1" capabilities... but of course music is only 2 channel, and all the movies I currently have are 5.1... and of course, it only sends out the number of channels available, so how the heck do I get my 709 to put out to all speakers no matter how many incoming channels? Especially my darn front wides lol... sorry if I come off as rude, it's just frustrating as you can imagine. Faster the replies, the better, I want to FINALLY get this setup finished

I ended up using my Realtek driver to simulate the audio to the other channels for stereo audio... but what about the wides? I wanna pull my hair out lol...
post #1395 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
With the replacement TX-NR717 increasing in MSRP to $999 while simultaneously dropping down from MultEQ XT to 2EQ, it really makes the 709 perhaps the best Midrange AVR extant. I cannot believe there is only going to be a $100 between the replacements for the 709 and 809 when the 818 is going from MultEQ XT to MultEQ XT32/SubEQ HT.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #1396 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:

The problem is you bought the wrong receiver for a 9.2 setup. The 709 is a 7.2 receiver... meaning you can only run a max of 7.2 channels. You have to step up to the 1009 in order to get 9.2.
post #1397 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUDesi View Post

The problem is you bought the wrong receiver for a 9.2 setup. The 709 is a 7.2 receiver... meaning you can only run a max of 7.2 channels. You have to step up to the 1009 in order to get 9.2.

Awesome... I was misinformed... and had a hard time finding an answer (that was wrong) about that... LOL... though, I am pretty darn sure you can do rears and wides/highs, just not both wides and highs... bah, oh well... so how do I enable the wides, after disabling the rears?
post #1398 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Seeming more and more like you're correct about the only using highs, wides, or rears... ARRGGHH LOL... blast, either way, how do I get the wides to play instead of the rears I guess...
post #1399 of 2409 Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Awesome... I was misinformed... and had a hard time finding an answer (that was wrong) about that... LOL... though, I am pretty darn sure you can do rears and wides/highs, just not both wides and highs... bah, oh well... so how do I enable the wides, after disabling the rears?

Read the manual... I know there is a section in there about speaker setup, including how to set up wides/highs. I believe you just plug whatever 7.1 config you want to do and the receiver takes care of the rest.
post #1400 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 AM

Liked: 15
Plug highs & wides in. Run Audessy & then use the SP Layout button on the remote to switch between them.
post #1401 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM

Zone 2 question.....i have a Soundcast Outcast Jr speaker for my patio and I send audio to it via a transmitter connected to my 709. The transmitter is connected to the Zone 2 pre outs on the 709. When on my patio I control the 709 via the iPhone app and things work pretty well.

My question is - why can't I adjust the volume using the app? What I mean is I adjust the volume but nothing happens.

Conversely - my basement avr also has a wireless transmitter connected to the Zone 2 preout (it's a Yamaha, their app blows away the Onkyo one by the way), and when i'm listening to audio sent from the Yammy I have no such problems getting the sound to adjust.

Is there something in the Onkyo setup that I must change to allow for Zone 2 volume to not stay fixed?

EDIT - found the answer on page 63 of the manual. I can't believe that Onkyo doesn't allow the AVR to control the volume of Zone 2 when using the line out when the Yamaha does. To me this is a significant fail in design. Since I use my outdoor speakers quite a lot this could be a dealbreaker. I'd rather not have to constantly go to the speaker to change the volume. ARGHHHH!!

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #1402 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

Zone 2 question.....i have a Soundcast Outcast Jr speaker for my patio and I send audio to it via a transmitter connected to my 709. The transmitter is connected to the Zone 2 pre outs on the 709. When on my patio I control the 709 via the iPhone app and things work pretty well.

My question is - why can't I adjust the volume using the app? What I mean is I adjust the volume but nothing happens.

Conversely - my basement avr also has a wireless transmitter connected to the Zone 2 preout (it's a Yamaha, their app blows away the Onkyo one by the way), and when i'm listening to audio sent from the Yammy I have no such problems getting the sound to adjust.

Is there something in the Onkyo setup that I must change to allow for Zone 2 volume to not stay fixed?

EDIT - found the answer on page 63 of the manual. I can't believe that Onkyo doesn't allow the AVR to control the volume of Zone 2 when using the line out when the Yamaha does. To me this is a significant fail in design. Since I use my outdoor speakers quite a lot this could be a dealbreaker. I'd rather not have to constantly go to the speaker to change the volume. ARGHHHH!!

I have the exact same setup and use Zone 2 for outside patio speakers only and have been dealing with this limitation since my 707. The pre-outs are not adjustable (as they are meant to go to external amps).

My resolution was to run them to my wifes VERY old (radio shack quality) receiver and connect the speakers on the patio to the L/R out. The speaker cable lengths are probably about 100 feet from the 709, through the basement and up into a bedroom closet next to the outside patio.

I've had to use a device called LEAPFROG which had a velcro attached IR transmitter that converts IR to RF. This attaches to the receiver remote control. The problem with this older model was the small battery would drain in about 1 month and range didn't seem to work from 50 feet away through the house. However, googling leapfrog today there seems to be some new solution that may be improved.

If you have a spare old receiver, then perhaps this is a solution you can work with.
post #1403 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

I have the exact same setup and use Zone 2 for outside patio speakers only and have been dealing with this limitation since my 707. The pre-outs are not adjustable (as they are meant to go to external amps).

My resolution was to run them to my wifes VERY old (radio shack quality) receiver and connect the speakers on the patio to the L/R out. The speaker cable lengths are probably about 100 feet from the 709, through the basement and up into a bedroom closet next to the outside patio.

I've had to use a device called LEAPFROG which had a velcro attached IR transmitter that converts IR to RF. This attaches to the receiver remote control. The problem with this older model was the small battery would drain in about 1 month and range didn't seem to work from 50 feet away through the house. However, googling leapfrog today there seems to be some new solution that may be improved.

If you have a spare old receiver, then perhaps this is a solution you can work with.

That won't work for me since I want to control everything via my iPhone. Seems like the app is useless for zone 2 unless they change their future avrs to do what Yamaha does.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #1404 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

Plug highs & wides in. Run Audessy & then use the SP Layout button on the remote to switch between them.

I currently have L/R, Center, 2subs, Side l/r, Rear l/r, and Front Wide l/r plugged in... do I really have to remove the rear's connections? and why would I have to have Front Highs plugged in when I only can use one? None of that is in the manual... I've read it, trust me. I ran the audyssey full setup, it detected everything perfectly fine, except the obvious no front highs... and then finished the setup. I've had no operational problems, nor audyssey setup problems, just no sound is playing out the wides. When I try the SP switch, it says Not Available, (obviously not because no highs, but I thought I'd try), and the Audyssey light is on on the receiver... I've enabled wides in the speaker config...
post #1405 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I currently have L/R, Center, 2subs, Side l/r, Rear l/r, and Front Wide l/r plugged in... do I really have to remove the rear's connections? and why would I have to have Front Highs plugged in when I only can use one? None of that is in the manual... I've read it, trust me. I ran the audyssey full setup, it detected everything perfectly fine, except the obvious no front highs... and then finished the setup. I've had no operational problems, nor audyssey setup problems, just no sound is playing out the wides. When I try the SP switch, it says Not Available, (obviously not because no highs, but I thought I'd try), and the Audyssey light is on on the receiver... I've enabled wides in the speaker config...

A man has teets, but you can't get milk!

Page 13 of the manual states the LAW regarding connections and active speakers.
Quote:

*2 Front high, surround back and front wide speakers cannot be used at the same time.

Pages 35-39 describe the types of ACTIVE connections available, and the Listening Modes Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height, DTS-ES Matrix*7, Audyssey DSX*8, etc to achieve your speaker goal i.e. 7.1-FW, 7.1-FH, 7.1-SB

Quote:

*7 If there are no surround back speakers, DTS is used.
*8 • This listening mode can be selected only when all the following conditions are satisfied:
– Center speaker is connected.
– Either of front high or front wide speakers is connected.
• Depending on the “Speaker Configuration” setting (➔ page 47), the output can be switched between the front high or front wide speakers by pressing SP LAYOUT.

So, depending upon your source material and your Listening Mode selection, thus determining which speakers will be active (on).

Yes you can have all the connections to all your speakers, but they don't all supply sound under all conditions.
post #1406 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post

A man has teets, but you can't get milk!

Page 13 of the manual states the LAW regarding connections and active speakers.

Pages 35-39 describe the types of ACTIVE connections available, and the Listening Modes Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height, DTS-ES Matrix*7, Audyssey DSX*8, etc to achieve your speaker goal i.e. 7.1-FW, 7.1-FH, 7.1-SB

So, depending upon your source material and your Listening Mode selection, thus determining which speakers will be active (on).

Yes you can have all the connections to all your speakers, but they don't all supply sound under all conditions.

I ended up getting that, but to get sound out of my Wides instead of my Rears... well... needless to say... I turned off the system, went to work, came back, and the Wides were working (and I already tried restarting the receiver... weird O.o) just like my HDMI issue... I guess the way to fix things is to not pay attention to the problem and let the mystical TechnoKnomes come out and fix it for you!!
post #1407 of 2409 Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Does anyone uses Dolby Volume with this receiver?

I noticed that for other models (like NR5008 / NR3008), on the manual it says that if you enable it, Audyssey Multeq XT 32 Equalizer will turn off.

On the NR709 manual, there's no mention of that, so I assume it remains on? Does it work well with Dolby Volume?

My current receiver only has Dynamic EQ / Dynamic Volume, but it doesn't work very well, so I wanted to give Dolby Volume a try, but also want to keep the MultEQ Equalizer instead of a manual equalizer!

Thanks!
post #1408 of 2409 Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
Although the manual implies otherwise, AFAIK, Audyssey will be disabled when using Dolby Volume (just as with the higher models).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1409 of 2409 Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM

umm, that's sad

I also looked at the newer higher end models (NR5009 / 3009), and they also removed the reference there.

Do you think they removed it because they were planning to allow this to work together in a future firmware?
post #1410 of 2409 Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the best way to output analog stereo from the Onkyo into the line-in input of my Sonos system? My goal here is to have whatever music is playing in my HT piped into the Sonos system for whole-house distribution.

The source will be my HTPC, which is connected via HDMI to the Onkyo.

From the manual, it does not appear that a HDMI source can be routed to Zone 2 (in analog stereo):

[quote]Only analog input sources are output from the ZONE 2 LINE
OUT L/R jacks and FRONT WIDE/ZONE 2 L/R terminals.
Digital input sources are not output. If no sound is heard when
an input source is selected, verify that the source is connected to
an analog input.[\\quote]

To accomplish this, would I need to find a way to simultaneously output analog stereo from my HTPC along with digital via HDMI?

Any ideas?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page