Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

if this is true it's yet another strike against Onkyo (in my opinion). This is my 4th Onkyo product (605, 806, 5507, and now the 709). My basement AVR is a Yamaha and other than the lack of Audyssey the Yamaha is so much easier to use. It's amazing how much of a difference there is just because of the better functionality of the iPhone app. On the Yamaha, you can play music from your iPhone on the AVR wirelessly (not on the Onkyo). On the Yamaha you can stream your iTunes (not on the Onkyo). Zone 2 plays from the Yamaha Zone 2 outs which means you can control the volume via the AVR (not on the Onkyo unless you use the speaker terminals). This makes me almost as mad as the fact that if I want to watch the Phillies where I live i MUST get Comcast. SMH.

The first receiver I purchased with the HT makeover was a Yamaha. I sent it back to Crutchfield, because the HDMI handshaking from the Yamaha was screwing with my Tivo HD. Every time I turned on the receiver, it would send some type of HCMI HEC signal that would reset the Tivo from 1080i down to SD resolution. Yamaha clearly had a compatibility issue, but I gave up on their support and sent it back.

Somethings you can live with and others you cannot. I stream all my music through my Tivo from my home PC music library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible. I'm not aware of iTune support through the 709 network connectivity. There are several apps in the networking menu, and iTunes isn't one of them. No mention in the manual either.

The closest you can achieve playing music from your iTunes library is to buy the Onkyo IPhone Dock and play from your Iphone as the Source for Zone 2.

I thought at the very least you could see your itunes library thru DLNA albeit without all the itunes functionality?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but would the 709 be a good upgrade from a 707? What are the gains and possible losses (if any) from switching?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but would the 709 be a good upgrade from a 707? What are the gains and possible losses (if any) from switching?

You get more hdmi inputs and an extra hdmi output. You get iPhone and android app support. Network support and additional dsps pretty much does it.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

Absolutely the correct forum.

Many of us actually got free 709 replacements due to the defective HDMI boards on the 707.

No loss. All gains. more functionality. Network download, network streaming, runs cooler and hopefully doesn't have the same bad h/w design as the 707 which is causing them all to failure in 18 to 24 months.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Hi all,

I got a new 709 a couple of months ago, and so far overall it has been great. My main issue at the moment is that I can't seem to do 3D passthru. I've got a Sony BDP-S580 3D blue-ray player connected to the BD/DVD port and the head is a Sony XBR-55HX929 w/ 3D detect set to 'Auto'. When I try to play a 3D disk, the on screen menu says it cannot detect a 3D capable TV.

The 709 Monitor Out is HDMI Main with Resolution set to 'Auto'. The manual isn't the most verbose with regard to 3D configuration.

Any thoughts? What else can I check? Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
^^
First make sure the BDP will play 3D when connected directly to the Sony. Then try connecting to each of the other HDMI inputs on the 709. If the BDP has a "Deep Color Output" setting, set it to OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydas View Post

I thought at the very least you could see your itunes library thru DLNA albeit without all the itunes functionality?

DLNA and Airplay are different, incompatible techs though a product could support both at the same time.
I agree though Airplay wouldn't have been a bad addition.

You can use various apps to stream from iPhone to DLNA (your receiver) though.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking into getting the 709 and have some questions on Zone 2 functionality. As I understand it you can't use a digital source with Zone 2. If this is correct:
- How can I stream from iTunes to Zone 2? I had planned on using an AppleTV, but that would be hooked to the 709 with HDMI so I'm guessing that won't work with Zone 2. If I hook it up with analog, then the sound would suck for streaming movies via AppleTV to Zone 1.
- Do net sources (like Pandora) work with Zone 2?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

I'm looking into getting the 709 and have some questions on Zone 2 functionality. As I understand it you can't use a digital source with Zone 2. If this is correct:
- How can I stream from iTunes to Zone 2? I had planned on using an AppleTV, but that would be hooked to the 709 with HDMI so I'm guessing that won't work with Zone 2. If I hook it up with analog, then the sound would suck for streaming movies via AppleTV to Zone 1.
- Do net sources (like Pandora) work with Zone 2?

OK, search is my friend. Here's what I learned:
- To get analog from the AppleTV, I need an spdif to analog converter
- Internet radio, Pandora, etc should all work fine for Zone 2

New question: can the AppleTV output to HDMI and its optical audio out at the same time?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:

New question: can the AppleTV output to HDMI and its optical audio out at the same time?

Here, let me google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=can+the+Apple+T...e+same+time%3F

And, in case you don't like clicking links, the answer is yes.

I must be schizophrenic today.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:

I recently asked the same question - in a different AVR owner's thread.....and it resulted in me buying this. It works like a charm.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
First make sure the BDP will play 3D when connected directly to the Sony. Then try connecting to each of the other HDMI inputs on the 709. If the BDP has a "Deep Color Output" setting, set it to OFF.

First rule of troubleshooting: eliminate levels of complexity.

I connected the BDP to HDMI4 on my XBR, and it is reporting: "The output is restricted. View/listen using HDMI-connected device." and the output is restricted to 480i !!

I'm off to do more searching on why the BDP is restricting output over HDMI.

Thanks, JD!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibsie View Post

DLNA and Airplay are different, incompatible techs though a product could support both at the same time.
I agree though Airplay wouldn't have been a bad addition.

You can use various apps to stream from iPhone to DLNA (your receiver) though.

I understand however you could use DLNA on the AVR to play your Itunes library on your PC and then use the Onkyo app to control the music..not exactly airplay but does allow remote functionality with iphone to play library...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Onkyo replaced my 707 with a 709 last fall due to HDMI board failures. I don't recall any issues with digital or audio to Zone 2 on that model. The 709 seems to behave differently as I just learned last weekend while breakign out my rock speakers for spring setup on my patio.

I have a Tivo which is HDMI connected to my receiver. I also have a Toslink cable connected from my Sony TV audio to one of the optical in ports so that I can watch the built-in TV Tuner and listen to native tv audio (rather than Tivo video cable card and 5.1 audio).

I use Zone 2 to listen to music streaming from my Tivo to rock speakers on my patio. With this configuration, I have two audio streams available.

Last weekend I found that my normal listening mode to zone 2 would not work. I was perplexed as this configuration worked fine with my 707. I found the AM/FM worked fine but not my Tivo. What I stumbled upon (by pressing every front button) was that my streaming music would play on zone 2 only when I selected my "TV Audio" which was the toslink connection.

I just googled online and reports indicate you can output to both HDMI and optical at the same time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1062425

Give this a try.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 AM

I asked this in the DVDO Edge thread too, but is the video chip on this (qdeo) better than Edge's ABT 2010 chip? Anyone know..tested?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

Onkyo replaced my 707 with a 709 last fall due to HDMI board failures. I don't recall any issues with digital or audio to Zone 2 on that model. The 709 seems to behave differently as I just learned last weekend while breakign out my rock speakers for spring setup on my patio.

I have a Tivo which is HDMI connected to my receiver. I also have a Toslink cable connected from my Sony TV audio to one of the optical in ports so that I can watch the built-in TV Tuner and listen to native tv audio (rather than Tivo video cable card and 5.1 audio).

I use Zone 2 to listen to music streaming from my Tivo to rock speakers on my patio. With this configuration, I have two audio streams available.

Last weekend I found that my normal listening mode to zone 2 would not work. I was perplexed as this configuration worked fine with my 707. I found the AM/FM worked fine but not my Tivo. What I stumbled upon (by pressing every front button) was that my streaming music would play on zone 2 only when I selected my "TV Audio" which was the toslink connection.

I just googled online and reports indicate you can output to both HDMI and optical at the same time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1062425

Give this a try.

there's no way to get sound to Zone 2 from digital sources. Toslink and HDMI are both digital connections. If you want to hear music from your Tivo on your Zone 2 speakers you have to connect via red / white rca cables.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way to set the Audyssey Reference Level Offset for a discrete source input?

For example, when I'm listening to music via Sonos, I'd like to set the Audyssey Reference Level Offset to 10dB, but when I'm watching movies, I'd like to set it to OdB.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, as noted on p. 52 this setting can be set for each input source.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post

Is there any way to set the Audyssey Reference Level Offset for a discrete source input?

For example, when I'm listening to music via Sonos, I'd like to set the Audyssey Reference Level Offset to 10dB, but when I'm watching movies, I'd like to set it to OdB.

Thanks!

Go to Setup > 4. Source Setup > Select your Audyssey RLO

You will need to do this for all inputs separately.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Go to Setup > 4. Source Setup > Select your Audyssey RLO

You will need to do this for all inputs separately.

Excellent -- thanks!

Now -- one more question -- I use my HPTC for both movies and music. The HTPC is connected to the 709 using one of the HDMI inputs. As I understand it, I can set only one Audyssey RLO for each HDMI input, so there can be only one RLO for the HTPC, regardless of whether I'm using it to play movies or music. Correct?

If so, is there a discrete IR/IP/RS232 code than I can send to reset the Audyssey RLO when I'm playing music? (I'm using iRule to control the receiver and can set up activity-based macros with it)

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:

I understand however you could use DLNA on the AVR to play your Itunes library on your PC and then use the Onkyo app to control the music..not exactly airplay but does allow remote functionality with iphone to play library...

No because those two do not work hand in hand (alas).
Though some device can share iTunes libraries, this is indeed an free (if not open) technology, but this isn't DLNA.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked, too.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive device to hook up to zone 2 that might do pandora, internet radio or such..(not an Ipod!)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive device to hook up to zone 2 that might do pandora, internet radio or such..(not an Ipod!)

Might be overkill, but WD Live Player.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Why? The 709 can send these to Zone 2.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Am I being dim - I thought you could use the internet radio or spotify or usb stick et al or dnla built in to the 709 as a source for zone 2 - or have I missed something?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Why? The 709 can send these to Zone 2.

did not realize that, will give it a go
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM

I asked a question about sending NET to zone 2 before but didn't get an answer so I'll try again. As far as I can tell the only way to control what is being played is if NET is also being sent to zone 1. Is there something I'm missing?

The scenario I'm thinking of is being able to listen to music on zone 2 while my wife is watching tv using zone 1, but it seems like that won't really work. I mean, you can start something playing then change zone 1, but if you want to change what is playing you'll have to switch back.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Might be overkill, but WD Live Player.

How about this for overkill, Logitech Squeezebox Touch! the WAF would be very high though! Looks so easy to operate

Since it does have both optical and rca outs i'm wondering if this can go to both zone 1 and 2? zone 2 for when listening to music on deck while still watching tv and zone 1 for when listening to music in main living area?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Hi everyone

I'm a new member and have recently purchased an Onkyo 709. Very happy with it so far!

Does anyone use their 709 successfully with Viera Link?
I have a new Panasonic P50GT50, and Viera Link has only worked once.

Basically when the 709 is on and I change volume using the TV remote, the receiver volume should change and not the TV's. No sound comes out of the TV when the 709 is on (even when TV volume is turned up) which is correct, so the TV knows the sound is coming from the receiver, but it still doesn't change the receiver volume anymore.

I have seen it work once. When changing volume with the TV remote, the TV displayed Home Theater Volume and the 709 volume changed.

Now it doesn't. When I go to Viera Link it says 'Feature not available.' I gather the issue could be the TV, not the amp, but I'm not sure.

Virea Link is set to on on the TV, and RIHD is on on the 709.

I have read posts suggesting turning off everything for a few minutes and trying again, this didn't help. I have also read that Viera Link only works properly with Panasonic products, so maybe it was a freak chance that it worked once.

Any ideas? Is this a TV or a receiver issue?

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709