Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 84 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2491 of 2506 Unread 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When you toggle through the sound modes and go all channel mode, does sound come out of your back surrounds? (assuming those are the ones that aren't playing in 7.1 mode)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2506 Unread 02-01-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I get sound out of all 7 speakers. A couple of examples playing a 7.1 source (m2ts file channel check from Hunger Games):

All Channel: 7 Speakers
THX Cinema: 7 speakers. However the rear surround speakers share the sound with the side surround speakers (e.g., the same sound that comes out of RIght Surround comes out of Right Rear Surround and vice versa).
Pure Audio: 5 speakers. Rear surround speakers silent, the sound that's intended for them comes out of the side speakers.

So this makes me think it's something up with the input signal since it's being read and treated as 5.1.
post #2493 of 2506 Unread 02-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixone View Post
I get sound out of all 7 speakers. A couple of examples playing a 7.1 source (m2ts file channel check from Hunger Games):

All Channel: 7 Speakers
THX Cinema: 7 speakers. However the rear surround speakers share the sound with the side surround speakers (e.g., the same sound that comes out of RIght Surround comes out of Right Rear Surround and vice versa).
Pure Audio: 5 speakers. Rear surround speakers silent, the sound that's intended for them comes out of the side speakers.

So this makes me think it's something up with the input signal since it's being read and treated as 5.1.
Man that's weird. I honestly can't think of anything else. I hope someone else chimes in
post #2494 of 2506 Unread 02-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Me too . Thanks for your help though!
darkleafar likes this.
post #2495 of 2506 Unread 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does any one know how to get feedback from the RS232 port. I can not get any return data. All my other RS232 controlled devices automatically returns data.
post #2496 of 2506 Unread 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
I'd like to connect a projector to the first HDMI and use it with my 5.1 speaker setup, and connect the TV (mounted on another wall) to the second HDMI and use it with its built-in speakers. Is this possible with the 709? Any recommended settings?
To answer my own question, it is possible. The settings that worked for me are either:

1. Hardware -> HDMI -> HDMI Control(RIHD) = On
or
2. Above setting disabled (Off) and Audio TV Out = On

Note that option #2 only works when Monitor Out is set to Both. #1 also works when it's set to Both(Main) or Both(Sub). The other advantage of #1 seems to be that the Speaker Setup menu doesn't get disabled.

New question: Does the OSD work for the secondary HDMI output? I can only get it to work with the primary HDMI.
post #2497 of 2506 Unread 03-01-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
New question: Does the OSD work for the secondary HDMI output? I can only get it to work with the primary HDMI.

Hi Prognathous, OSD appear only on HDMI Out Main.
Prognathous likes this.
post #2498 of 2506 Unread 03-01-2015, 11:32 PM

Thank you JChin. I wonder what's the logic in this limitation? One would expect that sending the same signal to both outputs would mean just mirroring the same. I believe that's what a simple HDMI splitter would do.
post #2499 of 2506 Unread 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
also victim of no sound from the receiver need to read through this whole thread now ugh
post #2500 of 2506 Unread 03-22-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post
also victim of no sound from the receiver need to read through this whole thread now ugh
Warranty have been extended for this issue. so give them a call.
post #2501 of 2506 Unread 03-23-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Yer welcome!

Ed
post #2502 of 2506 Unread 03-23-2015, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I checked my serial on their website last week and was told I was not impacted - do I need to call maybe? At work now so don't have the serial on me but I can try again later tonight...
post #2503 of 2506 Unread 03-23-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I checked my serial on their website last week and was told I was not impacted - do I need to call maybe? At work now so don't have the serial on me but I can try again later tonight...

From what I understand, you should do it again & check off network problems as well as the sound issue. That should work. Let us know.

Ed
post #2504 of 2506 Unread 03-24-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently contacted onkyo bc my receiver had the dreaded no audio/network issue. Pasted below is the info they sent me. Good luck

"At your request, I am sending you the following information regarding our Loss of Audio/Network Customer Care Program.

We would like to assist you. Please follow this link an supply the requested information to verify that your unit qualifies: http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php .
If your unit qualifies, a box and prepaid shipping label will be sent out. Please note that as part of the repair process, the firmware will be upgraded and all user settings will be reset to factory defaults. The average time for repair is 7-10 business days after the unit arrives at the service center.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF ANY UNRELATED ISSUES ARE FOUND, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED WITH AN ESTIMATE TO HAVE THOSE ISSUES REPAIRED AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE, OR AS PROVIDED BY OUR STANDARD WARRANTY POLICY. PLEASE REVIEW THE LINK PROVIDED ABOVE FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

Thank you,

Parts and Service
201-785-2600 option 4 Phone
post #2505 of 2506 Unread 03-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
From what I understand, you should do it again & check off network problems as well as the sound issue. That should work. Let us know.

Ed
I just sent mine in with the same issues. Make sure you checked hat you bought it new and you must check both no sound and no network. You may want to double check that your network is indeed not working before you send it off. It takes about 2 weeks for the entire process.
old corps likes this.
post #2506 of 2506 Unread 03-28-2015, 12:59 AM

My receiver was repaired twice for the HDMI issue, and now (after it's no longer in warranty) all SPDIF digital outs are dead, both optical and coaxial. Is this a known issue?

I'm not sure it's worth fixing since I mostly want to use those outs to troubleshoot streams not being detected properly by the receiver (e.g. as Multichannel instead of AC3 or DTS).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com