AVS Forum banner

Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread

344K views 3K replies 439 participants last post by  merceg100 
#1 ·
Mini-Review:

Onkyo's Jan Brady might be the Best Sub-$750 Receiver this Year

In years past, many Onkyo owners (myself included) tended to migrate to either the value-curve melting entry-level 6-series or the full chassis muscle of the 8 series and up. The 7 series has long been an "in-between" model in Onkyo's lineup. It was omitted in 2006 altogether and seems to be an easy step to overlook as prices naturally descend above and below it. To this extent, the 70x was the proverbial Jan Brady - not quite the brawny muscle of the 80x or the entry-level, high bang for your buck 60x.

Networking, THX certificiation, and quality video processing have all tricked down the lineup even further this year, making model differentiation for the 709 more difficult. That said, the 709 presents a big leap over the 609 in respects of the version of Audyssey auto room callibration (2EQ vs MultiEQ XT); multichannel pre-outs for the connection of a separate amplifier; dual HDMI outs for video toggling between two displays; the historical inclusion of a learning feature in the remote; and a somewhat ridiculous 8 HDMI inputs. These are all (and in particular MultiEQ XT) considerable reasons to opt for the 709 over the 609. The advent of HDMI and rapdily falling prices have led to a scarcity of inputs on most modern mid-range receivers, notably with Denon. The onkyo tx nr709 and upcoming pioneer vsx-1121 probably offer some of the best connectivity in this space.

I have owned numerous Onkyo products in the past and am well aware of their quirks (massive heat, moody HDMI boards, etc), but have always been impressed by their raw power, strong featureset, and intuitive setup menus. Onkyo appears to have addressed a number of its predecessors' shortcomings in the 709. Gone is the easy-bake oven operating temperatures of past models. In fact, I was shocked to compare it to Denons, Marantzs, and Pioneers operation in an enclosed cabinet to find the 709 an incredibly cool-operating machine. I believe there is an internal fan, but its operation is silent from normal distances.

Somewhat strangely, I have always relied on Onkyos exclusively for my mother and mother-in-law as they are the only receiver that can be setup over the telephone easily. Their menus are intuitive and easy to navigate, unlike modern Denon and Marantzs that seem to always hide something at some point. Beginning in 2010, Onkyo introduced an overlain onscreen display similar to Denon, but an abstract of the full menu/GUI (Denon offers overlain access to the full setup menu). In some ways Onkyo's approach is superior in that it offers great aspect adjustments (ie zoom in on blu rays to remove black bars) and the full picture simultaneously (Denon and Marantz gray the picture to some extent). I must admit I am a fan of the quick-reach tweaks to video and audio settings in addition to input (which is largely redundant considering the remote is already in your hand). The 709 relies on video-processing from the highly touted Marvell Qdeo chipset. This is a significant improvement from the long-in-the tooth Farjouda chip Onkyo dragged in various versions since 2008. The Marvell chip was also used in mid-range Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers last year and I found performance to be excellent in both. That said, video processing in receivers is helpful, but far from essential - most displays will offer identical or better processing. From a competive perspective, it should be mentioned that Denon (and Marantz) has dropped the very good ABT-2015 chipset in its mid-range receivers in favor of none or an Analog Devices chip. Pioneer continues to rely on the Marvell chip as well.

Speak setup and callibration is very easy with the Onkyo once the setup microphone is plugged in. Initially, the Onkyo confirms the speaker setup (height, wide, rear/normal, or zone 2) and confirms whether you want to run full audyssey or a quick setup. The former is what I strongly recommend as it unlocks the amazing ability of Audyssey to set speaker distances, levels, crossovers, and other equalizer filters to get the most out of your speakers and set reference volume. The current iteration of Audyssey MultiEQ XT foregoes the center/left/right measurements it did two or three years ago. It does offer multi-positional measurement, but I have found from experience that letting it remain in the center of the listening environment throughout the measuremetns yields the best result.

Real-world power and sound quality is excellent for a receiver in this price range. Many people overstimate the actual power they need in real-world usage and rely on ignorant comments such as "it must be less powerful since i have to turn it up to -20 on movies" as anecdotes of amplification power. The 709 provides ample amplification power that will leave all but truly inefficient speakers struggling at reference volume. In mere anecdotes, the 709 seemed to offer power nearly to the level of my Denon AVR-3311ci, which is a complement to its amplification ability. The 709 is a THX Select2 Receiver, which is largely marketing save the listening modes THX offers (they anecdotally provide a thuddier version of the orignal audio).

In respects of networking, the 709 provides what I would classify as the essentials - Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody, and DLNA streaming. It lacks the bleeding edge Airplay Denon introduced last year and Pioneer improved upon this year in respects of multi-zone playback. The lack of Airplay is somewhat disappointing, but could be overcome with an Apple TV2, which offers video-streaming unlike the aforementioned receivers.

All in all, the Onkyo TX NR709 is an incredible value, although it is not perfect. It lacks a dettachable power plug, which is incredibly pedestrian in light of pre-outs and dual hdmi outs. The lack of airplay relegates the 709's appeal in a world where most people's music library now resides on a pc and an ipod/iphone. That said, I would encourage many people to find a receiver that offers the same featureset, power, and connectivity at the same street price ($650). Well done Onkyo even if most people will still end up picking Marcia.

See less See more
#2,135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_22988795

709 is back in stock. I just ordered since I never got a confirmation on the first one nor was my CC charged.

Wish me luck!

My new amplifier is coming as well! All I need to do now is ship my broken monitor 70 tweeters from my amp clipping and I'm set!

Edit: Someone wanted this information:

Return Policy:

Onkyo products, including any refurbished (Factory Reconditioned) products, if purchased directly from ONKYO may be returned to ONKYO for a full credit or exchange within 30 days of your receipt of shipment if you are not completely satisfied for any reason. All products returned to Onkyo must be returned prepaid in original factory carton and in re-saleable condition, together with all manuals, accessories and parts. Customers returning an opened product that is missing any items will be charged for such items. All returned products must have a Return Authorization Number (RA#). You must apply for a RA# by calling 800-229-1687. Please state your order number, model number and reason for return in all correspondence with Onkyo's customer service department.

Packaging A Return:

Please write RA# on shipping label provided with your order.

Pack the product in its original packaging with all original contents.

For your protection, we recommend you insure your shipment.

Your return will not be accepted without the RA# clearly marked on the shipping label.

That was me--thanks again. Hopefully they,ll get some more before the 20% off deal is gone.

Ed

#2,136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_22991598

That was me--thanks again. Hopefully they,ll get some more before the 20% off deal is gone.

Ed

I was so bummed out, and I was just refreshing the page in the morning because I was bored and boom they came up and I jumped on it. I remember myself saying "Checking back every 5 minutes won't make it come any faster!" then it just came and I freaked out lol.

#2,137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_22992372

I was so bummed out, and I was just refreshing the page in the morning because I was bored and boom they came up and I jumped on it. I remember myself saying "Checking back every 5 minutes won't make it come any faster!" then it just came and I freaked out lol.

I've been checking all day to no avail. There's one more day...... I'm sure they'll eventually have 'em @ 20% off again if I miss this one. Let's us know how you like yours when you get it.

Ed

#2,139 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_22994974

Let's us know how you like yours when you get it.

They are sneaky. My status still shows prepared for shipping but I found out their factory doesn't always show when it gets shipped. If you use your order number as a reference number you can track on fedex. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

#2,142 ·
709 received today! Def a used model, seems to be working well though. Ran the audessy set-up with no problem. I thought the receiver sounded not too strong, had to turn volume up pretty high to get good sound. Then tweaked the levels a bit and holy cow!!! This gets loud at a low volume!

#2,143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidercat  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_22999761

709 received today! Def a used model, seems to be working well though. Ran the audessy set-up with no problem. I thought the receiver sounded not too strong, had to turn volume up pretty high to get good sound. Then tweaked the levels a bit and holy cow!!! This gets loud at a low volume!

Good for you! Just wondering what "tweaks" you did to get the volume you wanted?

Ed

#2,144 ·
I took advantage of the 20% promo @ shoponkyo...mine came Thursday. Let the high volume commence.

#2,145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_23000048

Good for you! Just wondering what "tweaks" you did to get the volume you wanted?

Ed

ED,

Audessy had set my speaker levels to -9. So i basically raised the level to -6. Raised the sub to -0. Then turned Intellivolume up to 5. Also turned on the Dynamic EQ. Tweaking the levels and intellivolume made a huge difference. Went from having to turn it up in the 60's to now getting loud volume at 40's. Also, every time i switched sources i had to set the volume levels for that specific source (blue ray, cable, tuner).

#2,146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidercat  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_23003187

ED,

Audessy had set my speaker levels to -9. So i basically raised the level to -6. Raised the sub to -0. Then turned Intellivolume up to 5. Also turned on the Dynamic EQ. Tweaking the levels and intellivolume made a huge difference. Went from having to turn it up in the 60's to now getting loud volume at 40's. Also, every time i switched sources i had to set the volume levels for that specific source (blue ray, cable, tuner).

Thanks, appreciate it.

Ed

#2,147 ·
I am looking to upgrade an old receiver to a NR709. I am a relative novice to home theater accessories. This may be a silly question but does the NR709 adjust to the best quality sound for each input? For example, when watching CBS you get full surround sound and if you watch Fox the sound quality is not as good. A local midwest sports channel is another lower quality sound channel. I just wonder with my current receiver if I have it on the best possible setting. And does the NR709 do this automatically?

#2,148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarring  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_23003614

I am looking to upgrade an old receiver to a NR709. I am a relative novice to home theater accessories. This may be a silly question but does the NR709 adjust to the best quality sound for each input? For example, when watching CBS you get full surround sound and if you watch Fox the sound quality is not as good. A local midwest sports channel is another lower quality sound channel. I just wonder with my current receiver if I have it on the best possible setting. And does the NR709 do this automatically?

The receiver will decode the audio channel that it's receiving from your network broadcast and play out on on your speakers in the best possible audio that's available based on the source sound. You can also manually switch through a dozen or so different types of audio selections based on your speaker setup. Not much you can do with a Left and Righ speaker to improve the audio but, if you have a full 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, you'll have lots of options to select.

#2,150 ·
I've had an Onkyo 709 for a little over a year now, and all of a sudden it's started issuing vey loud popping sounds from my center speaker during passages with a lot of low frequency rumble or explosions. The volume is not even up very load and it does this. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's decoding DD or DTS lossless, it just keeps emitting these loud pops from the center speaker. I installed the latested firmware and it still doesn't seem to have any effect. Does anyone know what's going on or how to fix it? It's been a fairly good avr before this.

#2,155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_23021747

anybody running a .2 setup (2 subwoofers)? If so can you please let me know how you set them up and how you ran Auddysey with them?

This is how I use two powered subs:

From Onkyo TX-NR709 I ran 2-separate Coax cables. One direct to Left Input on Sub plate amp, the other to Right input on 2nd Sub plate amp.

Set the Subs gains to mid-point on both. Set Low-pass filter (Crossover point) to 180Hz (or Max). This effectively turns off the Sub amp's

crossover and lets the Onkyo 709 use it's bulit-in LowFrequencyEffect crossover at 24dB/octave rolloff. Switch Phase setting on your sub amp to Normal (0 deg.). Now turn off/lower all noise sources (includes kids and pets) before you run Audyssey.

Plug in the mike and Audyssey Setup instructs you to set your sub volume level to 75dB, then determines your speaker setup. Just follow the instructions from there.

I let the AudysseyEQ XT choose 45Hz for my Main Fronts (Floor standing Klipsch towers). The subs handle from 45Hz down to 20Hz.

Hope this helps,

sgibson

#2,156 ·
A problem showed up for me with my 709 and my new Dish Hopper/Joeys.

The Hopper is connected in the main room through the 709, and with my 722k, if I turned off the Onkyo, the screen would blank for a moment, come back on, and the sound would now come through the TV (via HDMI).

On the first night with the Hopper, the sound would not come through the TV if the Onkyo was off. Next morning (without the Onkyo on), the sound came through fine, but then last night, no sound without the Onkyo, and no "self-heal" this morning. Any idea on what's different about the Hopper vs. the 722k?

These photos are of the 722k audio setup, the Onkyo 709 HDMI/audio setup, the Hopper audio setup, and the error message.

Suggestions? And I also posted this on the Hopper Forum on DBS.
722k audio setup.JPG 3551k .JPG file
Onkyo 709 audio setup.JPG 2067k .JPG file
Hopper audio setup.JPG 2687k .JPG file
Onkyo error message.JPG 2202k .JPG file

Attachments

#2,157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1  /t/1340545/onkyo-tx-nr709-owners-thread/2130#post_23058068

A problem showed up for me with my 709 and my new Dish Hopper/Joeys.

The Hopper is connected in the main room through the 709, and with my 722k, if I turned off the Onkyo, the screen would blank for a moment, come back on, and the sound would now come through the TV (via HDMI).

On the first night with the Hopper, the sound would not come through the TV if the Onkyo was off. Next morning (without the Onkyo on), the sound came through fine, but then last night, no sound without the Onkyo, and no "self-heal" this morning. Any idea on what's different about the Hopper vs. the 722k?

These photos are of the 722k audio setup, the Onkyo 709 HDMI/audio setup, the Hopper audio setup, and the error message.

Suggestions? And I also posted this on the Hopper Forum on DBS.
722k audio setup.JPG 3551k .JPG file
Onkyo 709 audio setup.JPG 2067k .JPG file
Hopper audio setup.JPG 2687k .JPG file
Onkyo error message.JPG 2202k .JPG file

Sometimes how easy it is to forget these are all just computers. Unplugged he Onkyo for a minute and after that, audio works fine and even my problem Onkyo networking back ok. Unplugging and plugging might even be the cure for the common cold.

#2,158 ·
Hello all. I have everything working on my 709 except for one annoying problem...

When I connect to my PC and a sound is started all audio is muted for the first few seconds, then it's OK. So if I start playing a movie I always miss the first second or so of audio. My HTPC runs Windows 7 and outputs to the 709 via HDMI only(for both video and audio). Is this a common problem with an easy fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.