Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #2581 of 2590 Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zone 2 Questions

I hadn't used my outdoor (zone 2) speakers for awhile as the ancient speakers finally gave up the ghost. So I hung and connected another pair, but I don't get any sound and I want to check that I've set it up properly:
  • Zone 2 Setting Powered "On"
  • Separate Power Amp
  • Zone 2 Source (tried HDMI-connected DISH and HDMI-connected BluRay and tried the setting "Source")
  • Checked headphone outlet - nothing
  • Checked different speaker pair output with a small speaker right at the amp, no sound

What am I doing wrong, since I figure it's something?

Related question - Does setting Zone 2 to Powered on disable 7.2 in my main room?

Unrelated - I've given up on that Sirius issue. I just listen through the Dish Sirius channels. But that lack of a software update has totally soured me on Onkyo and its related companies. Never again...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2590 Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whenever I've had to re-set my Onkyo receiver I am often puzzled why Zone 2 doesn't seem to be working... but then I remember to raise the output level (volume) on Zone 2. My Zone 2 speakers have their own volume controls so I need the Onkyo to be putting out a Zone 2 signal at close to full (~75%?) volume. Maybe that will work for you?

And, yes, you need to make a choice... either those 2 amps serve the main listening room OR as Zone 2 amps. It's one or the other.

Finally, the 709 needs an analog signal for Zone 2. You need to run a RCA cable (in addition to HDMI) from your Cable Box, Blueray, etc. to the Receiver in order to have those inputs available to be heard in Zone 2.

Hope this helps.
post #2583 of 2590 Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.m650 View Post
Whenever I've had to re-set my Onkyo receiver I am often puzzled why Zone 2 doesn't seem to be working... but then I remember to raise the output level (volume) on Zone 2. My Zone 2 speakers have their own volume controls so I need the Onkyo to be putting out a Zone 2 signal at close to full (~75%?) volume. Maybe that will work for you?

And, yes, you need to make a choice... either those 2 amps serve the main listening room OR as Zone 2 amps. It's one or the other.

Finally, the 709 needs an analog signal for Zone 2. You need to run a RCA cable (in addition to HDMI) from your Cable Box, Blueray, etc. to the Receiver in order to have those inputs available to be heard in Zone 2.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'll have to find that output level control. And I do have 7.1 along with an amp for Zone 2, so "off" it will go.

What's weird is that I thought I remembered that all sources did play to Zone 2, not just analog. Other than vinyl, what would be analog - FM tuner? Most others are via HDMI (Dish, BluRay, AppleTV). If I connect RCA cables, will I have to change input details whenever I want to hear that? That would be a pain. I do have plenty of those cables, all high-quality.

post #2584 of 2590 Old 08-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Best Listening Mode for TV/Movie Stereo/Mono Sources

I have a HT with a 7.2 (surround back) speaker layout and a Onkyo TX-NR709. This receiver has the following listening modes:

Dolby Pro Logic II
  • Movie
  • Music
  • Game
Dolby Pro Logic IIx
  • Movie
  • Music
  • Game
Neo:6
  • Neo:6
  • Neo:6 Cinema
  • Neo:6 Music
Audyssey DSX
  • Audyssey DSX
  • Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Movie
  • Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Music
  • Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Games
THX
  • Cinema
  • Music
  • Games
  • THX Cinema + Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx Movie
  • THX Music + Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx Music
  • THX Games + Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx Games
  • THX Cinema + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie
  • THX Music + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music
  • THX Cinema + Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height
  • THX Music + Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height
  • THX Games + Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height
  • THX Cinema + Neo:6 Cinema
  • THX Music + Neo:6 Music
  • THX Cinema + Neo:6
  • THX Music + Neo:6
  • THX Games + Neo:6
  • THX Select2 Cinema
  • THX Select2 Music
  • THX Select2 Games
  • THX Surround EX
  • THX Select2 Games + Dolby Pro Logic II Game
The selection of listening modes is overwhelming.
My question is what listening mode would you all recommend for MONO and STEREO (2.0) movie and TV input sources.

Thanks,

Scott
post #2585 of 2590 Old 08-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
They all sucks. For 2ch music use stereo or pure audio. For 2ch video use neo 6 but for best results upgrade your receiver to get the newer dolby surround and dts natural x. I just replaced my old Onkyo nr809 with Yamaha A2070 What a difference!!! Surround modes sre much more useful than the THX crap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
post #2586 of 2590 Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
They all sucks. For 2ch music use stereo or pure audio. For 2ch video use neo 6 but for best results upgrade your receiver to get the newer dolby surround and dts natural x. I just replaced my old Onkyo nr809 with Yamaha A2070 What a difference!!! Surround modes sre much more useful than the THX crap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
I happen to be getting a Yamaha A2070 tomorrow. Going from a Onkyo TR-707. Not familiar with the Yamaha, so I am curious. What settings do you use for watching TV newscasts. Also, what settings do you find best for watching baseball, football, etc.?

With the Onkyo, for movies I preferred Audyssey DSX
Audyssey DSX + Dolby Pro Logic II Movie

Thanks,

Hugh
post #2587 of 2590 Old 08-21-2017, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 308
The best mode is found by experimentation. What sounds good to me may sound absolutely awful to you.

For upmixers, there is no absolute best. Some work great for some content, but are awful for others.

That said, for multichannel content, I use straight (no additional processing). For 2ch content, I try them all to see which one sounds best to me. Heck, maybe my mood determines which one I like best - today it's one setting, tomorrow it's another. They're free to use so there is no harm in trying them all.
post #2588 of 2590 Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR709

​Thanks for the listening mode recommendations.
EB1000 makes a good point about upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR709.
Does anyone else have an upgrade suggestion to a receiver that has similar specs and features?
Since I have a 7.2 speaker layout I would like to go with a receiver that can support a 7.2.2 layout.
Also, I didn't buy the TX-NR709 because it was THX certified but would also like any thoughts on THX certified receivers in general.
Thanks,
Scott
post #2589 of 2590 Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
​Thanks for the listening mode recommendations.
EB1000 makes a good point about upgrading from my Onkyo TX-NR709.
Does anyone else have an upgrade suggestion to a receiver that has similar specs and features?
Since I have a 7.2 speaker layout I would like to go with a receiver that can support a 7.2.2 layout.
Also, I didn't buy the TX-NR709 because it was THX certified but would also like any thoughts on THX certified receivers in general.
Thanks,
Scott
I wouldn't seek out a receiver that had THX or ISF anything, personally.
When looking to upgrade, I feel the Room Correction to be pretty important. XT32 for Audyssey, or look at Arcam with Dirac, or Anthem ARC.
It sounds like you are looking to protect for 2 extra immersive channels too....but it may be wise to protect for 11 if your room suits (newest receivers only).

With the 709, I would use the Dolby Pro Logic (Movie) pretty much for movies, and try the THX variant for more "open" sound - if the Movie suits this.
As others have said, Stereo for Music (as Pure disables room correction) IMO.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #2590 of 2590 Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
for those that use the 709 to pass through 4k signals - how well does it work? I assume it won't pass through HDR / DV signals? I currently have all of my sources going directly to my 4k display, but to reduce clutter and cable congestion I am considering running everything through my 709 and then to my display. Thoughts?

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, , PS4, XBox360, Wii, FiOS

Den: Sony XBR-65X900E, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, FiOS, AppleTV v3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709 , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page