Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #2581 of 2583 Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zone 2 Questions

I hadn't used my outdoor (zone 2) speakers for awhile as the ancient speakers finally gave up the ghost. So I hung and connected another pair, but I don't get any sound and I want to check that I've set it up properly:
  • Zone 2 Setting Powered "On"
  • Separate Power Amp
  • Zone 2 Source (tried HDMI-connected DISH and HDMI-connected BluRay and tried the setting "Source")
  • Checked headphone outlet - nothing
  • Checked different speaker pair output with a small speaker right at the amp, no sound

What am I doing wrong, since I figure it's something?

Related question - Does setting Zone 2 to Powered on disable 7.2 in my main room?

Unrelated - I've given up on that Sirius issue. I just listen through the Dish Sirius channels. But that lack of a software update has totally soured me on Onkyo and its related companies. Never again...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2583 Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whenever I've had to re-set my Onkyo receiver I am often puzzled why Zone 2 doesn't seem to be working... but then I remember to raise the output level (volume) on Zone 2. My Zone 2 speakers have their own volume controls so I need the Onkyo to be putting out a Zone 2 signal at close to full (~75%?) volume. Maybe that will work for you?

And, yes, you need to make a choice... either those 2 amps serve the main listening room OR as Zone 2 amps. It's one or the other.

Finally, the 709 needs an analog signal for Zone 2. You need to run a RCA cable (in addition to HDMI) from your Cable Box, Blueray, etc. to the Receiver in order to have those inputs available to be heard in Zone 2.

Hope this helps.
post #2583 of 2583 Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.m650 View Post
Whenever I've had to re-set my Onkyo receiver I am often puzzled why Zone 2 doesn't seem to be working... but then I remember to raise the output level (volume) on Zone 2. My Zone 2 speakers have their own volume controls so I need the Onkyo to be putting out a Zone 2 signal at close to full (~75%?) volume. Maybe that will work for you?

And, yes, you need to make a choice... either those 2 amps serve the main listening room OR as Zone 2 amps. It's one or the other.

Finally, the 709 needs an analog signal for Zone 2. You need to run a RCA cable (in addition to HDMI) from your Cable Box, Blueray, etc. to the Receiver in order to have those inputs available to be heard in Zone 2.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'll have to find that output level control. And I do have 7.1 along with an amp for Zone 2, so "off" it will go.

What's weird is that I thought I remembered that all sources did play to Zone 2, not just analog. Other than vinyl, what would be analog - FM tuner? Most others are via HDMI (Dish, BluRay, AppleTV). If I connect RCA cables, will I have to change input details whenever I want to hear that? That would be a pain. I do have plenty of those cables, all high-quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page