Protection circuit activated on two different receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,
My parents bought a house a few years ago that has a home theater of sorts in the basement. The original setup was a Yamaha RX-V992 receiver, PSB front and center speakers, a powered sub that says "Velodyne DLS", and two white surround speakers mounted to the ceiling that I can't identify. At some point, the receiver started shutting down when there was a really loud noise in the movie. In the Dark Knight, for example, it might shut down when the bank teller walks out of his office and shoots his shot gun in the first chapter.

We were told that the receiver was busted, so we basically just used the system a lot less from that point on. Recently, I bought my dad an Onkyo TX-NR609 for his birthday and fathers day. After some setup, however, the same issue persisted.

Do you guys have any advice for troubleshooting this? We are having some real difficulties getting past this issue. One thing worth noting is that when we were using the audyssey setup, the front right speaker sounded a bit quieter than the others. We also have the receiver and a few other items inside of a wooden box in a cabinet that slides in and out a bit, and my father was concerned that the track may have frayed the wire. I took a look and did not see anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Helps if you provide some info about the wiring, which is likely where the problem lies. The best method for dummies is to disconnect all but the R-L speakers and see if you can still get it to shut down, then add one speaker at a time till you find the one that shuts it down. You can also try swapping speaker connections to see if the problem moves with the speakers. An ohmmeter can be used to check each wire and speaker individually to see if something jumps out as being different.

Speakers themselves can develop a defect that will drain power from the amp, but wiring is the usual culprit.

Also note that poor ventilation will cause an amp to overheat and shut down. this is something that would also be common to 2 different amps.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Helps if you provide some info about the wiring, which is likely where the problem lies. The best method for dummies is to disconnect all but the R-L speakers and see if you can still get it to shut down, then add one speaker at a time till you find the one that shuts it down. You can also try swapping speaker connections to see if the problem moves with the speakers. An ohmmeter can be used to check each wire and speaker individually to see if something jumps out as being different.

Speakers themselves can develop a defect that will drain power from the amp, but wiring is the usual culprit.

Also note that poor ventilation will cause an amp to overheat and shut down. this is something that would also be common to 2 different amps.

Thanks for the tips. The wiring is all through these grey cables, each of which contains red and black positive and negative cables. The previous owner of the house had all of it run through the ceiling and walls, so very little of it is exposed. The sub has two cables which are similar to rca cables that run through the walls as well. If I was to find an ohm meter, would it be a valid test to use it on the two sub cables, or would I have to do something different to check the sub wiring?
post #4 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sounds to me like you have some bad wiring in one of the speakers and shorting out when the volume is turned up. I would disconnect the speakers one at a time until the issue stops. You already said one of the speakers seemed to not put out enough sound.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
+1

Start with checking the wiring on the Front R speaker from AVR all the way to the speaker. Also, how much open space does the AVR have on the sides and top? Is the front and rear of the cabinet open or closed?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

The AVR probably has about an inch of clearance on either side and a solid 6 inches above it. The front of the cabinet is open. The fact that it always happens at the same times (specific loud noises) makes me want to believe that it is not a heat issue. It will happen two minutes after we turn the receiver on, if we can get to that part of the movie fast enough.

Checking the wire all the way from the receiver to the speaker will be difficult, if not impossible, given that it is in the wall. I might have to try that as a last resort.

If I use an ohm meter, what is the best way to test the wiring? Shuold I leave it connected to the speaker and test the ends that would normally be connected to the receiver?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 01:30 PM
585-645-1006

Very likely could be a nail went through the wire if it's in the wall.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I connected just the front three, then I added surround left and right, and there were no issues.

My dad has now also told me that he was having an issue with the sub where pulling the receivers gliding shelf out by some amount would cause it to hum, and he suspected that it was something with the connection. This was while using the old receiver. The sub connects to the receiver with two coax cables that have RCA ends. Do you guys think that this could be implicated? The receiver was hooked up and positioned in a way that I did not hear the hum, but after he mentioned it, we were able to replicate it.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

We think we may have figured it out, but we would love to hear if the solution makes sense to you guys that actually know about this sort of thing. The sub, which has its own power source, was turned all the way down. The audyssey setup had it turned up some db (forget how many), and my dad suggested that those big booms might by sending out too much power when the sub could actually be doing some of the lifting on its own. We turned the knob on the sub to halfway and then reran audyssey, which set it to -12db. We then replayed the scene that we watched earlier and got through it with absolutely no issues. We even got past that part to an even louder boom and again had no issues.

Does this make sense? We are going to keep an eye on it, obviously, but it has passed the first test. I have no idea how it came to be set up that way, though. The issue was not always present, so I have a feeling that my parents got to fiddling with knobs at some point and inadvertantly did this.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM
585-645-1006

^^
A sub setting of -12db means the sub volume is set to high. Back the volume off to about 10 o'clock (or a little bit off of middle volume) and rerun Audyssey again. You want it closer to 0db although at the very least, just not = -12db. You also want to make sure that ALL speakers are set to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossovers. Leave any crossovers set > 80hz at that set level. Also, once the setup has been saved, do NOT make any further changes on the sub itself ... rather make any volume changes via the AVR remote control.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
A sub setting of -12db means the sub volume is set to high. Back the volume off to about 10 o'clock (or a little bit off of middle volume) and rerun Audyssey again. You want it closer to 0db although at the very least, just not = -12db. You also want to make sure that ALL speakers are set to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossovers. Leave any crossovers set > 80hz at that set level. Also, once the setup has been saved, do NOT make any further changes on the sub itself ... rather make any volume changes via the AVR remote control.

Will do, thanks!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Liked: 10
I too am on my second reciever. I too am using Psb speakers with the Onkyo TX-NR609 reciever. Whenever there is a sound such as a gunshot in movie, the sound shuts off on the receiver. I had an Onkyo reciever before this one that was shutting off all together. The first one started right after I upgraded my psb speakers. I thought that it was one of the speakers, so I took it back and exchanged it, but continued to have the issue. Everyone had me convinced that it must have been my 7 yr old reciever, so I bought the new 609. Still having the same issue with one, now just $400 poorer.

I did change the speaker wire too, but to no avail.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiedinknots View Post

I too am on my second reciever. I too am using Psb speakers with the Onkyo TX-NR609 reciever. Whenever there is a sound such as a gunshot in movie, the sound shuts off on the receiver. I had an Onkyo reciever before this one that was shutting off all together. The first one started right after I upgraded my psb speakers. I thought that it was one of the speakers, so I took it back and exchanged it, but continued to have the issue. Everyone had me convinced that it must have been my 7 yr old reciever, so I bought the new 609. Still having the same issue with one, now just $400 poorer.

I did change the speaker wire too, but to no avail.

No idea, dude. Sorry. Do you have a powered sub, and if so, did you try what worked for me?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page