Sony STR-DH820 deoding problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased this receiver & I have a PS3 & samsung 3d blu ray player that both output DTS-HD & Dolby TruHD but I can't get the receiver to decode it from either player. The receiver has the logos for both lossless codecs. I have Monster HDMI 1000 cable bought 5 years ago. I get great 2d 18080p & 3d picture. I've checked every setting in the player & reciever. Is it possible that my HDMI cable is 3d & 1080p compliant but not for lossless audio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 130
It can't be the cable. When you play a lossless track, do you get lossy or stereo?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

It play the audio tracks in LPCM 48hz. The manual for the receiver shows that the display will light up when DTS HD or True HD are being decoded. I ordered some new cables on amazon to see if they will do the trick I guess.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM

You have to force some sources to output bitstream. Sometimes, during the HDMI handshake, the source will output to PCM by default unless you force it to bitstream. See if there are settings to force bitstream out.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayjunkie View Post

It play the audio tracks in LPCM 48hz. The manual for the receiver shows that the display will light up when DTS HD or True HD are being decoded. I ordered some new cables on amazon to see if they will do the trick I guess.

Stereo or multichannel? If you are getting stereo, it's likely being caused by the HDMI handshake with the TV. TVs are 2 channel devices and may tell the player to decode the track and downmix it to stereo. Most receivers have a setting that disables the HDMI audio output to the TV.

If you are getting multichannel, that would likely mean you hzve set your players to output PCM. Bitstream is the proper setting to feed encoded audio to your receiver. btw, if you have an older "fat" PS3, it cannot bitstream lossless audio. Another btw: the quality of the lossless audio is the same when decoded in the player for PCM output and when decoded in the receiver.

Again, it is not possible for a cable to cause the problem you describe. Not possible.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Hey Blurayjunkie- did you ever solve this problem? I have the identical issue- thought it was the cables too- was not. If you figured it out, the solution would be greatly appreciated. My bluray and PS3 are confirmed bitstreaming out. thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 AM

Liked: 11
Hi I just joined this forum for this thread. I just got the receiver and had the same problem. I originally set everything on the player which is a sony bdp s590 to out put bit stream, then output the receiver to amp.Long story short, I ended up with the same problem just getting LPCM. Then I looked into the arc handshake between the tv (sony kdlhx820). I had recently updated the firmware and the audio out put was changed back to "tv speakers". I change the setting back to "audio system" and it all works now. DTS and TRUE HD. I've tried several discs.Turned the receiver off and on. Its solid.
Glad to be a part of this forum. I've been lurking for a while now. haha.
jasmart likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
did you read that Sony recommends a Sony HDMI cable only. though there are some others
I believe are compatible. I really do not know the difference yet if someone can share the light......

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

There are no differences among HDMI cables. Sony simply wants people to buy its cables instead of someone else's.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

There are no differences among HDMI cables. Sony simply wants people to buy its cables instead of someone else's.
I would agree they should all be the same. but I have read where many who had sony TV
and sony BR player found they could not get certain audio to/back to their receivers with
out a sony/sony compatible cable.
sony TV forums

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page