Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 6024 Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF View Post

Hey guys--update to my video problems discussed in the last page. Through is still not working as described, but I figured out why all my HDMI video sources were responding to "custom" with flat sliders differently. The key was the color space as user wl1 suggested. The cable box was outputting an RGB color space (which the Onkyo likes). RGB doesn't crush the blacks.

The xbox and blu-ray player were set to "auto" color space. For some reason, the onkyo is telling the other HDMI devices that it wants Ycbcr color space. So, as those devices were set to "auto", they outputted Ycbcr. That wouldn't be a problem, but the Onkyo apparently doesn't correctly handle Ycbcr. The regular colors and brightnesses are OK with Ycbcr, but low blacks are completely crushed. The DVE brightness bars confirmed this.

To get around this problem, I simply made Xbox and the blu-ray player to output RGB. The onkyo was able to correctly display the blacks in the Custom mode, and I get the benefits of the scalers. As far as I can tell, with all the sliders flat, custom looks nearly indistinguishable from "Direct". I am now a happy 809 owner! Let me know if you have any questions

I had a similar experience with my fat PS3. Under default settings, the PS3 sets BD/DVD Video Output to Automatic. When I selected the Custom setting on the Onkyo 809, the picture was very dark on my plasma compared to Direct mode. However, once I selected RGB on the Video Output setting of my PS3, the picture came back to life and was as bright as Direct mode on the 809 (at least to the naked eye). This enables me to use the 809's video processing, which to my eyes looks a little better than Direct mode in my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 6024 Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

For those 809 owners looking to know more about Custom and ISf picture adjustment settings within the Amp. This is a start.........

http://youtu.be/xq1eoeS8Zag

...Thx wl1 for the info, I have been wondering about ISF settings since I got my 809 2 months ago.
post #2973 of 6024 Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Yes, this AVR has many features that others do not currently enjoy, but this is only good if you need them. What do you need?

I only wanted an AVR to sound great with MOVIES (it does) and switch my Video inputs (it does). It has many great things beside, like Net Control and Apps, Great implementation of Audyssey (didn't know how good this was), etc but the ISFccc is not getting used, for example.

I have no issues with my AVR, it is very complex, and a steep learning curve if you want to use everything correctly and get the best out of it. It will keep you playing for months.

The best amp I have ever owned - no regrets.

Equally, if you want separate AMPs for some reason, perhaps you should look further up the range. Not sure why though, at this price point, it's a great choice for many people.

Thanks for the reply! I have an old onkyo (tx-sr604 90w per channel) and use it mainly for blu-ray movies and games. Looking into also adding a projector and screen so hoping to find a mid-level receiver that I could boost with an amp down the line if need be. Also, with it being a new room, would love the Audyssey. Don't need anything above 7.2 and I see some good prices out there for the 809, so thinking about jumping on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

With HDMI standards changing as often as they do, future proof in this day and age amounts to about 3 years ... especially in light of HDMI 2.0 being released this summer.

Thanks! Yeah, I know with technology things are usually out-dated once out of the package. I'm not looking to drop big $ and would be happy with most of what the 809 delivers.
post #2974 of 6024 Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Guys... I am trying to diagnose why my new Hsu ULS 15 subwoofer is barely getting any sound. For such a big sub, this thing is really really quiet. My old Velodyne ULD 12 makes the walls and windows rattle when hooked to the 809, but not the new HSU. Any thoughts on what might be wrong would be appreciated. I tried turning up the sub volume via the audio settings. Even at +8db, I am barely getting anything.

Also, is there a way to turn off all speakers but the subwoofer to run specific SPL testing on just the sub?

Thanks........
post #2975 of 6024 Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstormnh View Post

Hello,
First post! A lot of great info in this thread and I love the 809. I'm seeing an issue, though. I am running wired to my Linksys router, however I am having intermittent network issues. It connects fine and I can browse from my PC to it. However, whenever I try to run Pandora or DLNA from my PC, it'll play a song for about 2 seconds and then stop and re-buffer. At times it takes a long time to buffer as well. I've tried multiple Cat5 cables and multiple ports on my switch with no luck. The interesting thing is that when I ping it from my PC I get anywhere in between a 5-15% packet loss. When I ping my Tivo, which is right next to it, no packet loss. I even switched cables in between the 2 to verify this and the problem follows the Onkyo. I've reset to factory defaults twice and updated the firmware to the latest. I could not do a firmware update via net as it would come up with errors (different each time, but always when downloading). USB flash worked fine. Onkyo support suggested I reset to factory settings and unplug for 30 minutes, which I did but it did nothing. I fear a bad network port. Onkyo support asked me to try wireless, however I don't have and don't really want to purchase a USB wifi adapter just to test whether this works,

Anyone have any other suggestions besides sending it in for repair? It was like this out of the box.

My only thought would be to try to find a cheap USB wifi adapter and see if that works to troubleshoot, but does anybody know if it needs to have a specific chipset to work (meaning is only the Onkyo aTP-Link in this thread the only 2 that will work)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Bryan

Just wanted to update people in case someone else runs into this. I was able to get a different make router and the AVR connects just fine to this with no packet loss. Net features now work with no buffering! I had tried 2 Linksys WRT54G routers and the problem happened on both of them, but a Motorola WR850G works flawlessly. So my problem is resolved. There's something that makes the 809 and the Linksys WRT54G not play nice. I'm on a little older firmware on the router so I'll try to update it to see if it was a bug in the WRT54G.

Super psyched that it's working. Extremely happy with the AVR. A HUGE improvement from the 15 year old HK Signature 2.0 pre/pro.

FYI, my setup for anyone who cares:

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Amp: B&K AV5000 Series II (running L/R/C and zone3)
Fronts: Sonus faber Concerto
Center: Sonus faber Solo
Rears: Mission 732
Sub: Mirage BPS-150i
TV: Sony 55HX729

Thanks again to everybody who's posted, this is a great thread with lots of great info!

-Bryan
post #2976 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Quick heads up to anyone worried about not being future proof because of "HDMI 2.0" that's entirely inaccurate. First of all HDMI can no longer be classified by number. HDMI is only based upon bandwidth and now if it includes ethernet or not. Since all HDMI 1.3 High Speed cables can handle the bandwidth of a 4K video feed there is no reason to worry too much in advance.
I believe the 809 was touted as HDMI 1.4 even when no such specification existed so aside from using ethernet over HDMI this receiver should be set.
post #2977 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Were any of the WRT54G's running DD-WRT?
post #2978 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM

How much does the avr usually go for? I'm currently seeing it listed for 649 but you know what they say if its to good to be true....
post #2979 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myers View Post

How much does the avr usually go for? I'm currently seeing it listed for 649 but you know what they say if its to good to be true....

It's currently in stock at NewEgg for that price if that's what you're alluding to.

The only thing too good about it is it's not out of stock!
post #2980 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlethoraGreen View Post

It's currently in stock at NewEgg for that price if that's what you're alluding to.

The only thing too good about it is it's not out of stock!

That's funny when I went to newegg I saw 1099? That's why I was asking it looked like a great deal.

Edit: scratch that just added it to cart and got the 649. Ques do they normally offer this avr at such a low price or is this one of those one shot deals? Offer pretty had to pass up esp when comparing it to the denon 3312
post #2981 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:

That's funny when I went to newegg I saw 1099? That's why I was asking it looked like a great deal.

Edit: scratch that just added it to cart and got the 649. Ques do they normally offer this avr at such a low price or is this one of those one shot deals? Offer pretty had to pass up esp when comparing it to the denon 3312

Usually goes on sale for that price or similar on the weekends. Not always. But also fairly often.

It's sometimes hard to catch in stock and I'd have no regrets ordering it for that price. I bought mine on an Amazon sale for $800 awhile back and I'm still perfectly content with what I got for that price. For $650 I wouldn't even think once.
post #2982 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlethoraGreen View Post

Usually goes on sale for that price or similar on the weekends. Not always. But also fairly often.

It's sometimes hard to catch in stock and I'd have no regrets ordering it for that price. I bought mine on an Amazon sale for $800 awhile back and I'm still perfectly content with what I got for that price. For $650 I wouldn't even think once.

How do you like it? Have you had any issues?
post #2983 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:

How do you like it? Have you had any issues?

I love it.

I've had a few silly things happen that are more related to not understanding the full complexities of a device like this. Setting up proper network and other small configurations etc. In terms of performance and feature set I couldn't be happier.
post #2984 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrummen View Post

Were any of the WRT54G's running DD-WRT?

No, they weren't. One of the things I never got around to doing. They were on factory firmware (probably a few versions behind as well).

-Bryan
post #2985 of 6024 Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Yeah Amazon had them at that price but backordered and onecall was willing to match it.
Regardless I got mine from Amazon a while ago and loved it but had to sell it in my move, just replaced an order today and for that price I'm willing to wait and the warranty is basically a freebie then.
post #2986 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I think I've discovered a major glitch with the Onkyo TX-NR809 w/ latest firmware as of Jan 22, 2012. (I don't know if it was there with the previous firmware, though)

So I've got my PS3 or my Panasonic 210 Blu-ray player hooked up via HDMI to the Onkyo, which then goes out to my Panasonic PT-AE7000U or my JVC X30/RS45.

In both cases, I get what appears to be a frame skip every so often during 24p Blu-ray playback. As soon as I take the receiver out of the equation, the skipping ceases. I've tried both DIRECT and THROUGH picture modes, but in each case I still get that periodic frame skip. We're talking about a SINGLE frame. Not a great stuttering.

The easiest way to see it is to load up the end credits of a Blu-ray. I used Transformers (the first movie). At 2:16:50 in the movie you get the end credits scrolling up the screen. Anywhere between 5 seconds and a couple of minutes into the credits you'll see the skipped frame. It's completely random, but I've noticed it in movie as I watch, especially annoying during panning sequences. You get a lovely 24p smooth pan, and then SKIP. If you blind you might miss it, but it really hits you in the face when it happens.

Anyway, feel free to try this on your own, but I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done? I've literally spent 10-15 hours troubleshooting this, at first thinking it was my new Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector that was the issue, but as soon as it did it with my JVC X30, I knew something was up...

Any advice, guys?

*EDIT*

Tried Video Processing set to SKIP (VCR/DVR + RETURN), and the problem is still there. Guess I'll be dumping the Onkyo and getting something else if this can't be resolved. WHAT a frustration!
post #2987 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Is it every 2:m46s ?
post #2988 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 AM
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8gray View Post

Aha! This was indeed a problem with the PS3 configuration. The dumbest thing is that I screwed it up myself only days ago and then forgot about it.

When I got the 809 I disconnected my old receiver but didn't have time to set up the 809, so I hooked up the PS3 directly to the TV. (The kids gotta have their Netflix ya know.) I configured the PS3 to only output Dolby Digital and stereo PCM on the HDMI output because I knew the TV couldn't handle anything higher. Then I promptly forgot about it.

When I couldn't get the DTS-HD MA stuff to work I had a vague memory of needing to change something but I got distracted by the whole bitstream vs. PCM configuration and forgot about the other setting (which is buried under a totally different menu on the PS3's convoluted menu system). Big thanks to etp for kickstarting my brain and putting me on the right track.

So now I'm back in happy land -- this thing really does have incredible sound! I was pretty happy with my old setup but Audessy really did a better job than I did with the old SPL meter, and I've only run the quick setup so far. My wife is digging Pandora too. now if I could only find a way around the 55W in standby thing I'd be in hog heaven.

I am still working the volume issues as I had to manually turn up the center channel for voices. I may get desparate and try Audyssey. I still have to turn up the master volume as far as 50. I adjusted the output volume of some of my devices and that seemed to help a little. I also set my speakers to THX even though they are not certified. That helped a little also. My HK 7200 had more punch.

ETP
post #2989 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post

I am still working the volume issues as I had to manually turn up the center channel for voices. I may get desparate and try Audyssey. I still have to turn up the master volume as far as 50. I adjusted the output volume of some of my devices and that seemed to help a little. I also set my speakers to THX even though they are not certified. That helped a little also. My HK 7200 had more punch.

I don't understand an aversion to run Audyssey. It probably took you longer to post.

And is it an issue turning up volume to 50? There is a default value that can be set for power on level (menu 6.1), mine is set to 45.
post #2990 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM
etp

Audyssey made the center and sub worse but improved everything else.

It also removed the THX settings and set some of my speakers to a 150 crossover. I have matched infinity speakers BTW. Once my wife gets off the TV I will try some manual adjustments.

Anyone have a work around to the cherping out of the sub when it clicks in and out during a program?

ETP
post #2991 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

It also removed the THX settings and set some of my speakers to a 150 crossover. I have matched infinity speakers BTW. Once my wife gets off the TV I will try some manual adjustments.

Anyone have a work around to the cherping out of the sub when it clicks in and out during a program?

I would re-run Audyssey again as that doesn't sound right. Was it completely silent in the room? Did you do the full 8 position calibration at each seated listening position?
post #2992 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post

I would re-run Audyssey again as that doesn't sound right. Was it completely silent in the room? Did you do the full 8 position calibration at each seated listening position?

No I did not do the full 8/just the center of the couch. Next time! Just me and the cat breathing/LOL

Also I saw a post many pages back that talked about setting the sub at 85 and not 75 and a few other tweeks to the settings. Kind of a neat program that sets the cross overs for you. 150 is just not right. I wonder if I turn up the output to the sub will it stop the cherping. It sounds like a signal fade in and out to me.

ETP
post #2993 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Did it set your Front - Center - Right to 150 or the surrounds ?
post #2994 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Has your sub got an Auto Standby ?
post #2995 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Did it set your Front - Center - Right to 150 or the surrounds ?

I think it was the surrounds. But I can't remember!

I have been researching my sub and the manuals are no longer available for the 1200. However the 750 controls look like mine. I have the LFE on and standby is on all the time.

SUBWOOFER CONTROLS
Rear Panel 1 Subwoofer Level Control 2 LFE/Normal Switch
3 Phase Switch
4 Crossover-Frequency Adjustment
5 Line-Level (LFE) Inputs
6 Power Switch

Auto On/Standby
With the Power Switch 6 in the ON position, the LED on the front
panel will remain lit in red or green to indicate the On/Standby
mode of the subwoofer.
RED = STANDBY (No signal detected, amp off)
GREEN = ON (Signal detected, amp on)
The subwoofer will automatically enter the Standby mode after
approximately 10 minutes when no signal is detected from your
system.The subwoofer will then power on instantly when a signal
is detected. During periods of normal use, the Power Switch 6
can be left on.You may turn off the Power Switch 6 for extended
periods of nonoperation, e.g., when you are away on vacation.

Crossover Adjustment
The Crossover Adjustment Control ¢ determines the highest
frequency at which the subwoofer reproduces sounds. If your
main/satellite speakers can comfortably reproduce some lowfrequency
sounds, set this control to a lower frequency
setting, between 50Hz and 100Hz.This will concentrate the
subwoofer’s efforts on the ultradeep bass sounds required by
today’s films and music. If you are using smaller speakers
that do not extend to the lower bass frequencies, set the
Crossover Adjustment control to a higher setting, between
120Hz and 150Hz
NOTE: This control will have no effect if the LFE/Normal Switch
2 is set to LFE. If you have a Dolby Digital or DTS receiver/
processor, the Low-Pass Frequency is set by the receiver/
processor. Set the LFE/Normal Switch 2 on the subwoofer to
LFE. Consult your owner’s manual to learn how to view or change
this setting. A setting of 100Hz – 120Hz is recommended when
using the TSS-SUB750 with Infinity Total Solution satellites.

ETP
post #2996 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM

If you had to do it all over again, would you get the Onkyo 809 or the Denon 3312? Why?
post #2997 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG_in_Bama View Post

If you had to do it all over again, would you get the Onkyo 809 or the Denon 3312? Why?

Seeing how this is the thread for the 809 and it is an outstanding AVR you might want to take that question to a less biased general thread. 809 hands down!
post #2998 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I think I've discovered a major glitch with the Onkyo TX-NR809 w/ latest firmware as of Jan 22, 2012. (I don't know if it was there with the previous firmware, though)

So I've got my PS3 or my Panasonic 210 Blu-ray player hooked up via HDMI to the Onkyo, which then goes out to my Panasonic PT-AE7000U or my JVC X30/RS45.

In both cases, I get what appears to be a frame skip every so often during 24p Blu-ray playback. As soon as I take the receiver out of the equation, the skipping ceases. I've tried both DIRECT and THROUGH picture modes, but in each case I still get that periodic frame skip. We're talking about a SINGLE frame. Not a great stuttering.

The easiest way to see it is to load up the end credits of a Blu-ray. I used Transformers (the first movie). At 2:16:50 in the movie you get the end credits scrolling up the screen. Anywhere between 5 seconds and a couple of minutes into the credits you'll see the skipped frame. It's completely random, but I've noticed it in movie as I watch, especially annoying during panning sequences. You get a lovely 24p smooth pan, and then SKIP. If you blind you might miss it, but it really hits you in the face when it happens.

Anyway, feel free to try this on your own, but I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done? I've literally spent 10-15 hours troubleshooting this, at first thinking it was my new Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector that was the issue, but as soon as it did it with my JVC X30, I knew something was up...

Any advice, guys?

*EDIT*

Tried Video Processing set to SKIP (VCR/DVR + RETURN), and the problem is still there. Guess I'll be dumping the Onkyo and getting something else if this can't be resolved. WHAT a frustration!

I just stopped by Magnolia HiFi here in the US, and picked up a Denon AVR-3212. The problem is now solved. I will never buy another Onkyo receiver again. Their entire line is faulty.

Extremely frustrating since I just bought the TX-NR809 7 weeks ago. You live and learn, I suppose...

Hey another bonus from the Denon is no waiting for the audio to start playing again when you fast forward/rewind/skip chapter during Blu-ray playback. That 2-3 second delay of silence was annoying.
post #2999 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post

Seeing how this is the thread for the 809 and it is an outstanding AVR you might want to take that question to a less biased general thread. 809 hands down!

I anticipated bias but why do you think the 809 is a great AVR?
post #3000 of 6024 Old 01-22-2012, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm planning on buying a nr 809 Friday morning when my tax return hits! I have a Onkyo 607 which has started to act up! I have klipsch RB 61, RC 52, sw112, and ks20. I read mixed reviews is there anything else I need to know before buying

Main System
Fronts RB 81 II BLK
Cener RC 52 II BLK
Rears RB 61 II CHERRY (going to be replaced with a black set)
Subwoofer SW112 BLK
SR 5006
MM7025
LG 55 LED 120HZ BDPS590 ipad 2 remote
Bedroom RB 41 II BLK/ TXSR 607 / TCL32X1 / BDPS370 / Apple TV 2 wife ipad3 remote
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page