"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3031 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
big_marcelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post

Buy the 809.

I had the Onkyo 905 without any issues for nearly 2 years... The all the settings would be lost and I would need to do a full set up again.

So I decided to "upgrade to the 809", as the 3009 and 5009 were not available yet. This was in the middle of September 2010.... In the middle of jan 2012, 3 months later, I'm on my third 809..... Two HDMI board failures.....


When the 809 works, it's very good for movies and the the HQV chip with ISF calibration offers similar PQ to my old DVDO VP 50... Which is amazing on a receiver, specially at this price....

For music, the amp section was definitely lacking compared to the 905.... So I added an Emotiva XPA-5 and the sound now is truly amazing for movies.... With a DACmagic plus in the chain for music, and you have a great setup..... When it works...

I now have my bedroom Yamaha sound projector in the living room while I wait for the distributor to re-open from Chinese New Year to fix the HDMI board again......

So either I have a Lemon, or there are some serious design flaw on the 809 model... I have heard reports of this happening elsewhere also...

Reliability was something I never worried about when I had my Yamaha or Marantz (pre- HDMI also) .... Onkyo brought great new features and awesome video performance... However you need to ask yourself if you can live with its QC.... I used to recommend Onkyo to all my friends.... But now I can't do that anymore... I'm on the verge of seriously considering selling mine and buying a NAD, Marantz or Pioneer amp.... Can't afford Arcam..... I will miss the video features... But I need something more reliable really... I'm tired of plugging everything back in, recalibrating and the suddenly something happens....

It's all connected via Tacima power boards, and I have the onkyo connected via Atlas power cable also.... No other piece of equipment in my house has any issues only the Onkyo...

Buyer beware....

Can't get enough of technology .... Love the toys!!!
big_marcelo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3032 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,019
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

Thank you for responding, JD. I have been running the new Hsu sub manually through the dB range available on the 809. I have all settable speakers at the THX recommendation of 80hz. I don't have any ability to change the sub on the 809. I have tried both 0 and 180 on the phase selector with no difference. I have not spent much time trying the sub with DD or DTS. However, I did get some sound out of the sub when I tried playing my Lord of the Rings blueray. However, this thing has to work with music for me or it is a no-go. As mentioned in first post, the same settings yielded window rattling base on my Velodyne ULD-12. Something is just not right because the Hsu is not even switching from off to on (I have the power set to auto/standby) once the music starts. Sheesh.... I sure hope this is not the sub. This thing weighs nearly 100lbs. But it seems like the 809 is not sending much power to the sub.

You may have a defective sub if another sub plays without issue. What happens when you run the Audyssey test tones? What does the Onkyo set the sub trim to? Have you tried setting the sub to ON rather than Auto/Standby?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #3033 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

... where do I turn to from here?

Suggest posting your issue here or call HSU @ 1-800-554-0150. Pretty sure Pete or one of their techs can help solve your problem.
JChin is offline  
post #3034 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Member
 
razrsharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still have another question regarding changing the speaker setup for Zone 2. While I previously reported that having a 7.1 + 2.0 setup is technically possible through changing the speaker setup, (you need to go 5.1 + 2.0), I'm wondering what it does to Odyssey and speaker settings. I haven't explored this much because it's winter in Canada and I don't even have my 2.0 outdoor speakers connected at the moment.

But, does anyone know if changing the speaker setup from 7.1 to 5.1 + powered zone 2 affects my Odyssey or speaker settings (Crossover, levels, etc.)?
razrsharp is offline  
post #3035 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_marcelo View Post

No other piece of equipment in my house has any issues only the Onkyo...

Buyer beware....

Does it have adequate cooling?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline  
post #3036 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,019
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post

Still have another question regarding changing the speaker setup for Zone 2. While I previously reported that having a 7.1 + 2.0 setup is technically possible through changing the speaker setup, (you need to go 5.1 + 2.0), I'm wondering what it does to Odyssey and speaker settings. I haven't explored this much because it's winter in Canada and I don't even have my 2.0 outdoor speakers connected at the moment.

But, does anyone know if changing the speaker setup from 7.1 to 5.1 + powered zone 2 affects my Odyssey or speaker settings (Crossover, levels, etc.)?

On p. 47 of the Owner's manual, it indicates if any of the listed settings are changed (to include "Powered Zone 2 - No/Yes") requires running Audyssey again. An 809 owner will have to confirm whether this is true or not.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #3037 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Member
 
CCSchoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some questions on what others are using as far as Dynamic EQ/Vol and Dolby Vol. Do people here use these features when watching movies?

One time I was watching a movie, and the sound wasn't near what it should be. After investigating, I realized I had Dolby volume activated....as soon as I turned that off, the volume in the movie was A LOT better. So I assumed that Dolby Volume de-activates the audyssey settings, is this accurate?

Also, I have activated Dynamic EQ / but not Vol. I find this produces the best sound for my ears, what are others doing?

Another thing, I was playing the other night and ventured into the EQ settings in the 809set up and noticed you can adjust the EQ settings for each indvidual speaker...I didn't do this as I wouldn't have a clue where to start, but was curious if others here bother to adjust the EQ settings for each speaker. (In my EQ Settings, all were at -0-, this is normal if I've made no adjustments, correct? Was just making sure that there shouldn't be any adjusments already made in there by running Audyssey as I've already done twice now.)
CCSchoch is offline  
post #3038 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Member
 
razrsharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

On p. 47 of the Owner's manual, it indicates if any of the listed settings are changed (to include "Powered Zone 2 - No/Yes") requires running Audyssey again.

Crap, what I feared. I believe this amp may have been an inappropriate choice for me; it's amazing how difficult it is to get the correct amount of information for what I thought was a common scenario. Turns out there is much limitation to this "Powered Zone 2" feature than meets the eye.

Too late to return it now - looks like I'll have to get a stand-alone 2.0 amp just to power my 2 outdoor speakers and complete my setup properly.

Quote:


An 809 owner will have to confirm whether this is true or not.

When I get a chance to re-run Audyssey I'll confirm this here. I'd imagine others out there looking for a "powered zone 2" receiver would want to know this information/limitation before buying this receiver.
razrsharp is offline  
post #3039 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Member
 
PlethoraGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post

Also, I have activated Dynamic EQ / but not Vol. I find this produces the best sound for my ears, what are others doing?

I do the exact same thing. Sounds great!
PlethoraGreen is offline  
post #3040 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Newbie
 
rwscott01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I am beginning to build my Home Theater for my new house that is under construction. I have been doing a boatload of reading and have learned quite a bit but I am still trying to pick up on everything. I am a Noob here, and yes I searched this thread but didn't find what I was looking for.

I have pretty much all the speakers for the new setup but am clueless on receivers. So far this appears to be my front runner but am unsure if i am buying too much of a receiver for what I have.

Here is my setup -

Subwoofer - Outlaw LFM-1 EX
Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II (2)
Center - Polk Audio CS2 Series II
Rears - 2 Wharfedale Monitor M128 (these are from the UK apparently...I inherited them from my Uncle when he passed away, they are NIB. I dont have a lot of info because they are in storage right now. I may get rid of them if they are junk...anyone know anything about them?)

Anyway, I will also want to have two speakers in my ceiling upstairs (zone 2). I am wondering if this is a good receiver for what i have or do you all recommend something else?

Thanks for any input in advance!
rwscott01 is offline  
post #3041 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post

I have some questions on what others are using as far as Dynamic EQ/Vol and Dolby Vol. Do people here use these features when watching movies?

One time I was watching a movie, and the sound wasn't near what it should be. After investigating, I realized I had Dolby volume activated....as soon as I turned that off, the volume in the movie was A LOT better. So I assumed that Dolby Volume de-activates the audyssey settings, is this accurate?

Also, I have activated Dynamic EQ / but not Vol. I find this produces the best sound for my ears, what are others doing?

Yes, Dynamic EQ is a must - for watching movies at less than Reference Volume. It ensure the perceptual differences of various frequencies sound the same AS IF they were played at Ref. Vol.

So Dolby Volume should be OFF, as Dynamic EQ cannot be used with it.Though Dolby Volume would not disable the "Movie" Audyssey Room Correction etc.

Audyssey Volume reduce volume peaks - dynamically compressing the Soundtrack volume. I think it is for Adverts between programs, or late night. It should be left off unless you need the feature and don't mind the compromised sound.

I do not use THX Loudness Plus, but if you like THX Listening modes, you should try this instead of Dyn EQ.

See attached.
LL
LL
LL
wl1 is offline  
post #3042 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post

Another thing, I was playing the other night and ventured into the EQ settings in the 809set up and noticed you can adjust the EQ settings for each indvidual speaker...I didn't do this as I wouldn't have a clue where to start, but was curious if others here bother to adjust the EQ settings for each speaker. (In my EQ Settings, all were at -0-, this is normal if I've made no adjustments, correct? Was just making sure that there shouldn't be any adjusments already made in there by running Audyssey as I've already done twice now.)

The manual EQ are only active if Audyssey is OFF - not advisable, as you lose all the benefits of MultiEQ XT.

============================================================ =================

Aside
I love this AVR for Movies, but have been playing about with it for Music. I was considering using Audyssey OFF for my Music Source and setting up with this manual EQ. But I lost more, and it didn't work for me.

I have persevered, and found I am very happy with my settings.

My main speakers are Monitor Audio RS6 floor standers. Supposed to go to 38hz, and Onkyo / Audyssey measured the crossover to be 40hz. So I have been playing about between 40-80hz. 80hz was best for Movies. I was disappointed with thin sounding music though, wanting more from the bass. Testing with Listening Modes Stereo& Pure - I really struggled to find a combination.

I then decided to go against my instinct of these "great speakers should do some of the bass", and eventually set the crossover to 120hz.

And that was it.

Full range, dynamic music, great sound stage, and great bass. Cracked it for Music and Movies.

Audyssey was set to "Movies", not Music too. I think this played a big part for me. Now using Stereo Listening Mode not Pure. No more messing about.

What am I going to do now......

:-)
wl1 is offline  
post #3043 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Member
 
PlethoraGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Now using Stereo Listening Mode not Pure. No more messing about.

What am I going to do now......

:-)

What subwoofer are you using? I run a 3.0 setup currently and at first was using Pure mode for music and thought I was super happy. After messing with settings and finally flipping over to the Stereo listening mode I am now truly happy. I was listening to a FLAC copy of Rush's Moving Pictures and couldn't believe how much better Stereo sounds over Pure. It's almost like I'm back at Red Rocks for the Time Machine Tour. Phenomenal.

Again no subwoofer currently, but I'm pretty blown away by what the 809 and Paradigm Studio 100s can do.
PlethoraGreen is offline  
post #3044 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlethoraGreen View Post

What subwoofer are you using? I run a 3.0 setup currently and at first was using Pure mode for music and thought I was super happy. After messing with settings and finally flipping over to the Stereo listening mode I am now truly happy. I was listening to a FLAC copy of Rush's Moving Pictures and couldn't believe how much better Stereo sounds over Pure. It's almost like I'm back at Red Rocks for the Time Machine Tour. Phenomenal.

Again no subwoofer currently, but I'm pretty blown away by what the 809 and Paradigm Studio 100s can do.

My sub is REL Storm, which has funny arrangement of connection, which added to my confusion. It has a LFE phono type connection, plus it has a high impedance connection to the Main speakers.

Sorted now (disconnected sub from Main speakers).

I found Pure to be most like my previous Amp, which is why I initially liked it, but eventually decided it was too boomy (didn't like no display and a bright blue led too).
wl1 is offline  
post #3045 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
big_marcelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Does it have adequate cooling?

Mine doesn't get very hot at all... Nothing compared to the old 905.... And since I added the emotiva is very cool to the touch - no heat issues.

Can't get enough of technology .... Love the toys!!!
big_marcelo is offline  
post #3046 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Member
 
spoolthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_marcelo View Post

Mine doesn't get very hot at all... Nothing compared to the old 905.... And since I added the emotiva is very cool to the touch - no heat issues.

does any have the OSD volume display with a thin black bar running through it? other than that, seems better than my 707(MultiEq)
spoolthis is offline  
post #3047 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Member
 
tatumguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Don't buy one. That's my advice. And take that from someone who did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post

Buy the 809.

I think advice on this forum regarding AVRs (or any product for that matter) mirrors typical human behaviors regarding negative reviews versus positive ones.

There are a number of market research and sociology studies available online, and while the results vary slightly, the unequivocal truth is that people are far more likely to post a negative review (about a product, restaurant, Dentist etc.) than a positive one.

Psychology being what it is, when we get burned by a product or service that we expect to work, humans get pissed and essentially try to take revenge against that product or service.

When something works, we expect it to work, and basically go on with our lives.

So, in fairness, I believe you will always get stronger and more passionate negative reviews over positive ones. And in the end, those negative reviews may be 100% accurate and extremely informative. Its just that they are more likely to be posted.
tatumguy is offline  
post #3048 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
toolwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Suggest posting your issue here or call HSU @ 1-800-554-0150. Pretty sure Pete or one of their techs can help solve your problem.

Thank you for the link. I posted a very detailed description of the problem there. If I can't resolve by the end of the week, I will sadly have to pack the ULS-15 back up and return it. Very frustrating since I researched the heck out of subs and found that it was supposed to be among the best in that class.
toolwarrior is offline  
post #3049 of 6014 Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Member
 
wingman1659's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumguy View Post


I think advice on this forum regarding AVRs (or any product for that matter) mirrors typical human behaviors regarding negative reviews versus positive ones.

There are a number of market research and sociology studies available online, and while the results vary slightly, the unequivocal truth is that people are far more likely to post a negative review (about a product, restaurant, Dentist etc.) than a positive one.

Psychology being what it is, when we get burned by a product or service that we expect to work, humans get pissed and essentially try to take revenge against that product or service.

When something works, we expect it to work, and basically go on with our lives.

So, in fairness, I believe you will always get stronger and more passionate negative reviews over positive ones. And in the end, those negative reviews may be 100% accurate and extremely informative. Its just that they are more likely to be posted.

This x100
Its something in the round of you'll tell 10 people about a negative experience compared to one for an exemplary experience.
wingman1659 is offline  
post #3050 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Member
 
CCSchoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Yes, Dynamic EQ is a must - for watching movies at less than Reference Volume. It ensure the perceptual differences of various frequencies sound the same AS IF they were played at Ref. Vol.

So Dolby Volume should be OFF, as Dynamic EQ cannot be used with it.Though Dolby Volume would not disable the "Movie" Audyssey Room Correction etc.

Audyssey Volume reduce volume peaks - dynamically compressing the Soundtrack volume. I think it is for Adverts between programs, or late night. It should be left off unless you need the feature and don't mind the compromised sound.

I do not use THX Loudness Plus, but if you like THX Listening modes, you should try this instead of Dyn EQ.

See attached.

Did you mean "Dolby Volume" and not "Audyssey Volume"?

I was playing last night, and when watching TV, I like Dolby Volume on because when you change channels it levels out the audio for volume variations between channels / commercials & regular programming.

BUT, I "think" when I turn on Dolby Volume, it disables Dynamic EQ for ALL inputs, is this correct?

Meaning, on my AVR I was in my Cable input and turned on Dolby VOL, and it disabled Dyn EQ. Then I changed the input to my Blu Ray player, and it was disabled in there too. Does it Automactically disable for ALL inputs? Or if I would've turned Dolby Volume Off before switching inputs, my Dynamic EQ would've been left turned on for my Blu Ray input?

Edit: I just read the manual, and it says Dynamic Volume is used to adjust for variations between commercials / channels....so i'll activate that for my Direct TV input, and de-activate it for my Blu Ray input.
CCSchoch is offline  
post #3051 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Member
 
CCSchoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

The manual EQ are only active if Audyssey is OFF - not advisable, as you lose all the benefits of MultiEQ XT.

============================================================ =================

Aside
I love this AVR for Movies, but have been playing about with it for Music. I was considering using Audyssey OFF for my Music Source and setting up with this manual EQ. But I lost more, and it didn't work for me.

I have persevered, and found I am very happy with my settings.

My main speakers are Monitor Audio RS6 floor standers. Supposed to go to 38hz, and Onkyo / Audyssey measured the crossover to be 40hz. So I have been playing about between 40-80hz. 80hz was best for Movies. I was disappointed with thin sounding music though, wanting more from the bass. Testing with Listening Modes Stereo& Pure - I really struggled to find a combination.

I then decided to go against my instinct of these "great speakers should do some of the bass", and eventually set the crossover to 120hz.

And that was it.

Full range, dynamic music, great sound stage, and great bass. Cracked it for Music and Movies.

Audyssey was set to "Movies", not Music too. I think this played a big part for me. Now using Stereo Listening Mode not Pure. No more messing about.

What am I going to do now......

:-)

When you say you set your x-over at 80 for movies and 120 for music, is there a way to save those settings for each input so you don't have to adjust them every time you play a CD or a blu ray?

Just curious.
CCSchoch is offline  
post #3052 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Member
 
CCSchoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently am only running a 5.1 set up. How many people here use / think the 7.1 or 9.1 set up is worth it? Do you think the front height or front wide adds more to your sound? Also, are the rear backs worth it as well?

Also, how does this work in the set up in the AVR, I understand you tell the AVR which speakers you have, but when I play a movie that's encoded in 5.1, what listening mode do I select to utilize all the speakers, or does the AVR just automatically split up the sound and send it to the available channels?


Also, I currently have Axiom QS8's for my surrounds and love them. How would those work as front Height speakers? I think they'd look really well in my set up to mount them on my wall in the front.
CCSchoch is offline  
post #3053 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post


Did you mean "Dolby Volume" and not "Audyssey Volume"?

BUT, I "think" when I turn on Dolby Volume, it disables Dynamic EQ for ALL inputs, is this correct?

Edit: I just read the manual, and it says Dynamic Volume is used to adjust for variations between commercials / channels....so i'll activate that for my Direct TV input, and de-activate it for my Blu Ray input.

1. I meant Audyssey Dynamic Volume, as attached in the jpg files

2. Yes, as attached in he jpg files

3. As in the post.
wl1 is offline  
post #3054 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post


When you say you set your x-over at 80 for movies and 120 for music, is there a way to save those settings for each input so you don't have to adjust them every time you play a CD or a blu ray?

Just curious.

I have retained 120hz as one setting. I do not switch it about for different content.
wl1 is offline  
post #3055 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
e84cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If I have my Iphone hooked to the front USB will it show my iTunes movies

Main System
Fronts RB 81 II BLK
Cener RC 52 II BLK
Rears RB 61 II CHERRY (going to be replaced with a black set)
Subwoofer SW112 BLK
SR 5006
MM7025
LG 55 LED 120HZ BDPS590 ipad 2 remote
Bedroom RB 41 II BLK/ TXSR 607 / TCL32X1 / BDPS370 / Apple TV 2 wife ipad3 remote
e84cooper is offline  
post #3056 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Newbie
 
itsmefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post

I tried resetting and it did not make any difference.... so.....

I called Onkyo yesterday. After being on hold for about 20 minutes, I had a tech support person pick up the phone. The experience was frustrating (coming from someone who previously loved Onkyo/Integra). The first person was on the phone with me for 40 minutes and constantly putting me on hold after a few seconds of questions which she kept repeating. She actually told me to plug in a laptop into my PC/VGA port otherwise that is the reason the ethernet is not working. She sounded like she has never seen a receiver and then kept asking about how my HDMI is connected to the receiver. Clearly not someone who knows what is going on with an ETHERNET/Net issue. She finally transferred me to the parts and warranty department. The guy answered the phone: "Yeah?". Are you serious? I told him the problem and he asked if I did a firmware upgrade (by the way the first tech never asked about firmware... wouldn't you think that would be the first thing?). He said he has no idea and that he is not a tech so he transferred me to another tech. She was actually very good but only because she was honest and right away knew that she couldn't help me. She said it should never freeze up regardless of it being a router issues, etc. She asked for the serial number and gave me a ticket number. She said she is going to report this to the bosses and give me a call back. She claims that I am the first person who has ever called about this issue! Well two days ago, Cazual was also told that! I told her that I'm not the first person and she insisted I was. Anyway she gave me a ticket number so if you are calling Onkyo for this Now Initializing/NET function issues, don't let them tell you that you are the first one to call. If you need my ticket number, PM me and I will be happy to give it to you so you can prove that you're not the first one.

Investigating on my own, I am starting to think that there is some sort of handshake issue with certain routers. But that's just speculation. When I reset my router and Onkyo at the same time, it has a higher probability of working. Just a thought. Not always but it seems that the ethernet works.. at least longer. I have to investigate more but my gut tells me that something is going on there because it freezes after I plug in the cable... Any ideas?

Just wondering if your 809 is still working fine through the NET connection? I saw you (or perhaps another member) mention that they switched to a Motorola router and it worked fine but wanted to know if it's still working?

I saw someone reported the issue on the Onkyo Support Forum recently: onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t298-tx-nr709-network-initializing-issue and I just posted my same issue there as well. I encountered this issue on two 709s and my current 809. I really don't want to return the 809 since everything else works great, but I don't like to spend money on a product that is not functional for 10% of the features I bought it for. Thanks!
itsmefd is offline  
post #3057 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Member
 
spoolthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone seeing a thin black bar running through the volume display? it cuts the blue bar in half(horizontally) just curious if this is common...maybe there's a firmware for this issue? i'm not to concerned but would like people's opinion on this matter..thanks

mig c.
spoolthis is offline  
post #3058 of 6014 Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Newbie
 
xmas111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should have my 809 on Monday.

I'm upgrading from a TX-SR876.

Been very happy with the 876....and can't really say why I'm upgrading except maybe I wanted something new.....

I'll report back and let everyone know if it was worth it.

John
xmas111 is offline  
post #3059 of 6014 Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
New quickie question...don't think it is possible.

So can I take two "different input signals" and output two "different output signals"

For example HDMI In for TV Signal ONE to HDMI OUT
THEN COMPONENT VIDEO in for TV Signal TWO to COMPONENT OUT ?

Reason for asking is my projector has SPLIT screen..and for the superbowl, during commericals and halftime I want another network on...then during the game split back to a single huge screen.

I know I won't/can't have audio for both AT the same time, but I just want Video.

If the 809 can't do this...is there an elegant solution vs. manually patching cords together ?

Thanks in advance!
toofast68 is offline  
post #3060 of 6014 Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

New quickie question...don't think it is possible.

So can I take two "different input signals" and output two "different output signals"

For example HDMI In for TV Signal ONE to HDMI OUT
THEN COMPONENT VIDEO in for TV Signal TWO to COMPONENT OUT ?

Reason for asking is my projector has SPLIT screen..and for the superbowl, during commericals and halftime I want another network on...then during the game split back to a single huge screen.

I know I won't/can't have audio for both AT the same time, but I just want Video.

If the 809 can't do this...is there an elegant solution vs. manually patching cords together ?

Thanks in advance!

Nope, the 809 2 HDMI outputs are of the ONE selected input. But you could obviously feed the tv directly for one of your signals. Or did misunderstand.

It seems this Superbowl is a big thing then? ;-)
wl1 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off