"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
First ... 116  117  118 119  120  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread
PoolShark's Avatar PoolShark 10:08 PM 02-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolShark View Post

This is a serious concern and I hope more people speak out about their experience with Main HDMI out failures. Look at Amazon reviews for the 809 and HDMI failure is very prominent. One poor guy bought two of them and they both failed on him. I hope Onkyo has been able to fix this issue this late into the years run. Reports also say that the HDMI sub will also go out once the Main goes out. It is an issue with the HDMI board supposedly. I just bought one from ABT and I would hate to have to deal with return or repair issues with this new receiver. Most post I have read say it is failing around their 30 day return window, so they are getting stuck with dealing with repair issues up to 6 weeks. Onkyo service is not getting rave reviews either!

Replacing my 805 after a solid 5 years of wonderful service!!! Going in the closet just incase

Man am I glad I didn't take my 805 to the closet! My new 809 ran for 30 minutes then shut down and kept shutting down. Tried the reset several times and managed to make it to clear but still shuts down within 10 seconds. Unplugged everything and still shuts down. Put my 805 back in and still works like a champ! If it wasn't for the extra inputs, I wouldn't consider the change until the 805 dies.

I also noticed that the 1080p upconverting has slight pixelation. Anybody else notice this on large screens 65"? I thought this would be a great benefit but that did not appear to be as good a benefit as I thought it would be. My intent was to have the 809 upconvert my Tivo 1080i to 1080p but I could notice pixelation on corners while moving objects where on screen. It was noticably distracting but maybe it was this bad overall 809.

Going to give it one more try

nightfly85's Avatar nightfly85 10:12 PM 02-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

Thanks for all of the advice.

Wll save for the better speakers!

Buy used. Audiogon is a good source. You could get some descent mains for that price to start.

Make sure to match speaker sensitivity, resistance, and "voice" as you acquire your setup. These factors can be mitigated somewhat via calibration, but the closer the better.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:20 AM 02-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolShark View Post

Put my 805 back in and still works like a champ! If it wasn't for the extra inputs, I wouldn't consider the change until the 805 dies.

You can always just add an HDMI switch to get more HDMI inputs for the 805.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
bad1550's Avatar bad1550 05:45 AM 02-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by korn646 View Post

+1 for Polk, I went with the Tsi series for my fronts and center, along with a comparable in-ceiling pair of Polks for the rears. I think they sound great with my 809. The monitor series speakers from them are really only cosmetically different from the Tsi, and would make a good choice for you being on a budget. Watch Techbargains for great deals from Newegg... or Polk also has great deals on direct refurbs on Ebay.

Thanks, I have a 14 x 18 bedroom
Would the 70's fronts work and 30 or 40's for the rears?

Bob
tatumguy's Avatar tatumguy 01:02 PM 02-22-2012
Hey, quick question for you Onkyo 809 owners out there. I have a wierd problem that Im hoping some of you can help me with.

Setup:
Polk Monitor 60 ii - L + R
Polk Monitor CS1
Polk Monitor 40s - Surround
Outlaw LFM-Plus
Onkyo 809

OK so here is the problem. Every thing sounds great except for some circumstances when I am watching my Verizon Fios on HBO and Encore. When I am listening at low to moderate volumes, I get what sounds like clipping from my Left, Right and Center. When there are explosions or heavy noise, it sounds like there is a static that increases with the intensity of the explosion. The funny thing is, its really not on very loud at all, and seems to only happen on HBO and Epix channels. When I flip to another station, like Starz and leaving it at the same volume, I get no clipping sounds. Even increasing the volume, and watching an intense scene like Two Towers - Helm's Deep battle, I get no clipping or static sounds whatsoever.

I flip back to HBO or Epix, and once it gets to a louder scene, I get that static again. I should note that it seems the intensity and frequency of the static sound increase and decreases both with the my changing of the gain on my reciever as well as volume peaks through out the movie im watching.

So, am I clipping my Polks? If so, why is this clipping specific to HBO or Epix channels and not happening when I change to another station and increase the volume.

I appreaciate any help and insight you all may have. Thanks.
dr_gallup's Avatar dr_gallup 01:29 PM 02-22-2012
Quote:

Can someone recommend a 5.1 speaker system to pair with my 809.

$300-$500 Range?

Thanks

Go to Vanns.com & search for Mirage speakers. You can get one OMD-15 or two OMD-5 or five Nanosats, your choice.
jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2 03:24 PM 02-22-2012
Quote:

Thanks for all of the advice.

Wll save for the better speakers!

Good luck. You can get a lot more recommendations in the speaker forum here on various budget speaker solutions that don't suck.
wildbill129's Avatar wildbill129 06:50 AM 02-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazz View Post

I have tried to login using my internet radio ID and password, which I use for ipad, ipod, iphone and pc without a problem, but I keep getting a sign in error. I have also tried logging in using the master login for account services, but this hasn't worked either. I have installed the latest firmware, as well. Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue on my new 809. I did a firmware update, still can't login to SiriusXM. I can login on my laptop, the Onkyo keeps getting a sign-in error. Did you ever resolve this?
PeterTHX's Avatar PeterTHX 09:50 AM 02-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill129 View Post

I'm having the same issue on my new 809. I did a firmware update, still can't login to SiriusXM. I can login on my laptop, the Onkyo keeps getting a sign-in error. Did you ever resolve this?

I can't sign in either.

Had to change my log in too because there's no "@" in the Onkyo menu.
Soonerwatch's Avatar Soonerwatch 01:12 PM 02-23-2012
My TX NR 809 drives a 5.1 set up in my open living room. An open dining room is attached to the back of my living room. I have 2 ceiling mounted speakers in the dining room that are on zone 2 along with 8 other pairs of speakers all over the house. I typically run the dining room speakers any time the 5.1 speakers are playing.

I am encountering a noticable echo / delay from the dining room speakers. When the system runs in "whole house mode" this delay goes away. But the sound quality is much lower. I typically like to use "all channel stereo" as this gives a good sound. But the echo / delay is quite noticeable in this mode.

I have tried re-running audyssey and moving the mike 1/2 way into the dining room. This makes things slightly better but there is still an echo / delay.

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

I was thinking of running both the dining room speakers and rear 5.1 surround speakers from the the jacks for the 5.1 surrounds and changing the impedance setting to 4 ohms.
Soonerwatch's Avatar Soonerwatch 10:06 AM 02-24-2012
I tried several things but have decided that "whole house mode" does the best job of fixing the echo. It's also the easiest to use as you can change volume and sources and it applies it across all zones. But it doesn't sound as good as "all channel stereo" Any tips for making "whole house mode" sound better?
dakamp84's Avatar dakamp84 07:22 PM 02-24-2012
Got my 809 last week and have it plugged up to my Sharp Aquas, XBox 360 (white one), and some Samsung satellites (will be upgrading fairly soon). Havent had a ton of time to play with it yet, but do love the quality sound and all the features.

I do have a question though. When I use Netflix on my 360 (using HDMI with Game on 809) it does play in 720p. According to Microsoft this is not in 1080 currently. So the problem, when a movie/ show is over and I go to select next episode, the screen goes black and the 809 seems to lose connection. Then the tv shows 720p but stays black. I can hear the audio but the picture doesnt show back up. I have to shut everything down and then power back on. Then it works until you want to see another episode again. Tried a DVD and the same thing happened. WTF!!! It does however play the video with audio when switched to "through" and the 809 is in standy by mode (obviously without the surround). Is there a setting I am missing in the 809? Xbox is set to 1080 and tv has no problem with 1080. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Gomez81's Avatar Gomez81 11:37 PM 02-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

THX Loudness Plus...I was looking through my receivers settings and saw this so I turned it off. I am getting much better sounding dialog out of my center.

I don't remember turning it on, maybe Audyssey turned it on? Anyway if anyone has it on, try turning it off. Might help others.

" F. If your receiver / processor has the THX Loudness Plus feature, turn it off if you plan to use Dynamic Volume."

From audyssey setup guide....
HT + 2CH MAN's Avatar HT + 2CH MAN 04:50 PM 02-25-2012
...woke up yesterday morning not realizing I was going to have the receiver I had been online researching for (many, many, many) months, digging up every scrap of information I could on it on in this forum, AVS, and miriad other audio sites and owners reviews, etc... in my possesion.

But then I moseyd over to some of the 'factory auhorized dealers' sites and found a couple of online reatailers (CircuitCity and CompUSA amoung them) were offering the Onkyo TX-NR809 for 699.00, whereas each time I had looked around online in the recent past it had been selling (or at least offered) in the $799, 899, 999 range, Frys also had it marked on their listening area / display shelf instore for 799 ...never seeing close to the fabled $649 some had been fortunate enough to aquire it for from Amazon or Newegg at times.

Well, that was it. $699 was close enough.

So, armed with 3 of the above offer printouts, went to Frys (about 10 minutes away from me, including parking and climbing the stairs into the store...) at 6:15 pm ...and at 7:10 I was back home with the receiver box on the living room floor. Was easy.

TIP: Use a 'screensaver' application ...here's a good free one I very much like ...it's been an invaluable tool to save information in my 'research'.

CNET Editors' review
by: CNET Staff on February 27, 2009
This outstanding freeware application makes capturing and editing screenshot images a breeze. MWSnap may come with an uninspired-looking interface, but it gets the job done without hassle. Its useful and very user-friendly features require no special expertise. You can capture a fixed or selected area of your screen, a particular window or menu, or the entire desktop. You can also set the application to automatically save after capturing. Bonus features include an onscreen ruler, a desktop magnifier, a window-information tool, and a color picker. MWSnap also lets you modify images by flipping or rotating them, and by adding a variety of frames and cursor shapes. It's an excellent choice for everyone from casual to experienced users.

Read more: MWSnap - Download.com //download.cnet.com/MWSnap/3000...#ixzz1nQCDW7jc

...and just 'outline' with the screensaver the part of the retailers sites that deals with the price they are quoting offering it for (...without all the other payment options and shipping stuff...) ...thats the key part...to print out and take with you to local places that will price match.

The supervisor for the AV dept didn't even bother with the "final delivered price" thing ...which would have included also 'matching' an included shipping charge. He just said "I'll do it" and asked if he could keep one of the quote printous I had brought, to include in his paperwork to show the other retailers price ...and had them bring me out a new, pristine looking, undented box (had already told him I would not accept a 'returned' boxed item, or 'open box')...

That was it, simple. With tax, $758.42 out the door.

What I like about Frys' is that a) ...now I have 30 days to 'kick the tires', try everything out and see if it smokes or blows up... which was important to me judging from a couple of others experiences I have read on the forums. See if all the HDMI ports actually keep working, etc... And b) ...if there are any problems at all, all I have to do is do a good job of keeping all the pieces, box packaging, booklets, remote, and all the little plastic bags they came in, put it all back together ...and half an hour later I have my money back. I paid cash, so I will get cash back. I have never had a problem with a return to Frys, it always just 'works' to return something. And no having to deal with a shipping cost back to an online seller, and the inherent time delay.

If the receiver works perfectly, then I will purchase the extended warranty directly from Onkyo for $65 ...to increase it from 2 to 4 years. I know...BUT...I have read on forums where a guy that bought a 'B stock' receiver and got a new 'A stock' one ...and another got the newer, better model, when there was a problem with the warranted one. So those possibilities make it worth it to me ...and I've also heard some say there is somehow more, better, quicker, easer, more convienient access to more qualified authorized repair centers that way. Have no idea if that is true. But suspect it could be.

RESTRAINT, or lack of it....

The 'self discipline' and 'delayed gratification' part of me said that I was going to finish putting together all the other stuff of the home theater that I've been designing (and repeatedly redesigning (enhancing))... before I even open the box. Give me more incentive to get it done. And quickly. Right?. Put all the pieces in their final and proper places, then 'Flip the Switch' ...and hear how it sounds and looks... ...and part of me really thought I was going to do that.

...But maybe 15 minutes later (lasted that long) ...the box was open.

I particularly wanted to see if I had gotten the paper instruction manual, or the CD disk version ...and contrary to what others have said , I was happy to see I had gotten the CD one...as, my theory is, the paper ones came with the earlier manufactured versions of the 809, the CD comes with the later produced ones. Plus I wanted to have a look at the remote, the Quick Setup Guide, the little Audyssey microphone, etc...

My thought is that perhaps Onkyo heeded some of the earlier QC problems and that if I got a later one, maybe the bugs had been QC'd out of them by now. Hope so. I would like to hear what you guys think of that theory.

Have managed to restrain myself, so far, to leave the receiver in the box, but I suspect I will soon be looking at it, probably right after I finish writing this ...just to see that it is not damaged...

Well, just wanted to let you guys know I am now on track to 'proceed' ...with the hackin' and hewin', gluein' and ascrewin' stage... now that I have finally got the central component of this whole thing in my grasp.

Once the initial HT is in place and relatively together and working/configured properly, the next bit will be UPA-1's for the left and right. Maybe the center too down the road, but I have an idea for the center that I am intrigued by, and will try that first. More on that later....

And yes, will do pictures as I go ...but will probably not post incrementaly as I build ...will just include them all with the final 'Done' setup pics. Hopefully, the build will go relatively fast, with all the time I spent on the relatively careful design part of it ...thats the hope anyway.

...well, the proof is in the pudding, better get to it...

Have a great weekend guys ...and all you out there also working on your HT projects...

HT + 2CH MAN
pje122's Avatar pje122 02:19 AM 02-26-2012
So after watching a Blu-Ray tonight, I tried to start up the TV/Receiver a few hours later and was unable to get a signal to come through to the screen. I can hear the Xbox360 audio when on GAME mode, but no video. With the PS3 I cannot see or hear anything. I then tried connecting the game consoles directly to the TV and that worked fine.
I guess this means there is something wrong with the receiver? It will say "No Signal" in the window when I'm trying to connect to the PS3 or Xbox360. Can anyone please help me?
Seadaddy's Avatar Seadaddy 04:49 AM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pje122 View Post

So after watching a Blu-Ray tonight, I tried to start up the TV/Receiver a few hours later and was unable to get a signal to come through to the screen. I can hear the Xbox360 audio when on GAME mode, but no video. With the PS3 I cannot see or hear anything. I then tried connecting the game consoles directly to the TV and that worked fine.
I guess this means there is something wrong with the receiver? It will say "No Signal" in the window when I'm trying to connect to the PS3 or Xbox360. Can anyone please help me?

Try unplugging the receiver for a few seconds.
pje122's Avatar pje122 09:26 AM 02-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadaddy View Post

Try unplugging the receiver for a few seconds.

Whoa! That worked! Thanks so much!
Why did this happen? Does anyone know? That was so scary I was seriously freaking out last night...
dakamp84's Avatar dakamp84 07:09 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakamp84 View Post

Got my 809 last week and have it plugged up to my Sharp Aquas, XBox 360 (white one), and some Samsung satellites (will be upgrading fairly soon). Havent had a ton of time to play with it yet, but do love the quality sound and all the features.

I do have a question though. When I use Netflix on my 360 (using HDMI with Game on 809) it does play in 720p. According to Microsoft this is not in 1080 currently. So the problem, when a movie/ show is over and I go to select next episode, the screen goes black and the 809 seems to lose connection. Then the tv shows 720p but stays black. I can hear the audio but the picture doesnt show back up. I have to shut everything down and then power back on. Then it works until you want to see another episode again. Tried a DVD and the same thing happened. WTF!!! It does however play the video with audio when switched to "through" and the 809 is in standy by mode (obviously without the surround). Is there a setting I am missing in the 809? Xbox is set to 1080 and tv has no problem with 1080. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Update:

So changed from HDMI to Component cables (switched to HD output) that came with the 360. Changed the 809 over to Component 1 with audio through Game and HDMI set to "through" to main. Still using HDMI Main out to TV. Now it seems to works with no problem. Fingers are crossed that I found the problem. Still not in 1080 but according to Microsoft it will not for some applications.
razrsharp's Avatar razrsharp 07:48 AM 02-27-2012
+1. I too noticed the echo after I finally setup my zone 2 speakers outside with a separate amplifier.

I just also wanted to it throw out there, in addition to "powered Zone 2" being able to power sources such as ipod (front usb) and iNet radio - a separate amplifier connected to Zone 2 DOES ALSO PRODUCE AN OUTPUT WITH THESE SOURCES. This is fantastic news to me, as 99% of my needs for zone 2 inputs will come through ipod or net radio, and finally my needs are met with this AVR. I was in serious doubt though, as one would expect that ipod and internet radio classify as "digital" sources; and as stated in the manual don't work with zone 2. As for other sources - things like PS3, Apple TV etc., these will need to be hooked up via RCA cable - not the biggest deal.

Another question posted a few pages back was whether or not zone 2/3 can be turned on WITHOUT zone 1. I can confirm THEY CAN... at least when done through oRemote.

Happy Day!
Replacement's Avatar Replacement 09:34 AM 02-27-2012
I have a 803 and I called Onkyo the other day to see if it would pass hdmi 1.4 and of course it doesn't. I kind of figured that. Then the person on the phone said that I could upgrade my receiver to an 809 for $525 including taxes and shipping... he got my attention and told me that I would have to ship my 803 to them then I would get the 809 sent out. I am trying to weight the options here, keep the 803 and pay more for the 809 or send in the 803 and get a referb 809 with 1 yr warranty. I would like to have another receiver around if I wanted to set one up in a different room or garage, but I could also buy another receiver down the road if need be.

Also I was wondering if I am going to notice any difference between the 803 and 809 sound wise.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 09:42 AM 02-27-2012
^^
The most noticeable improvement would be due to the upgrade to Audyssey MultEQ XT. I'd check with Newegg or Electronics Expo though as you can likely get the 809 for maybe $100 or so more and then keep your 803.
Replacement's Avatar Replacement 10:09 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The most noticeable improvement would be due to the upgrade to Audyssey MultEQ XT. I'd check with Newegg or Electronics Expo though as you can likely get the 809 for maybe $100 or so more and then keep your 803.

The cheapest I can find is $750 range shipped ...
I'm not sure if I would be asking for trouble if I get a referb. I have had great service out of my 803.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:03 AM 02-27-2012
^^
It can often be found for $100 less on the weekends when Newegg runs their weekend sales. There should be no worries with a refurb however as you do still get the 1 year warranty. Just saying, as long as there's no issue with the 803, it's likely worth more than $100-$200 and then you'd get the full 2 year mfr warranty on a new unit.
Replacement's Avatar Replacement 11:52 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:

^^
It can often be found for $100 less on the weekends when Newegg runs their weekend sales. There should be no worries with a refurb however as you do still get the 1 year warranty. Just saying, as long as there's no issue with the 803, it's likely worth more than $100-$200 and then you'd get the full 2 year mfr warranty on a new unit.

I'm picking up what you are putting down. After a 65" plasma and wanting to get a 809, it is more of a WAF then anything at this point.
Soonerwatch's Avatar Soonerwatch 08:40 AM 02-28-2012
After 5 months with zero problems with my TXNR-809 all HDMI inputs and outputs have stopped working. Only solution that tech support offered was a full reset. That didn't work so I have to pack it up and ship it off 800 miles away for service. On the same day that the HDMI outputs went out the 809 was shut off but my ipod hooked up to the front USB input had the onkyo image displayed on the screen. The hard drive is now fried in the ipod.
razrsharp's Avatar razrsharp 10:22 AM 02-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerwatch View Post

After 5 months with zero problems with my TXNR-809 all HDMI inputs and outputs have stopped working. Only solution that tech support offered was a full reset. That didn't work so I have to pack it up and ship it off 800 miles away for service. On the same day that the HDMI outputs went out the 809 was shut off but my ipod hooked up to the front USB input had the onkyo image displayed on the screen. The hard drive is now fried in the ipod.

Sorry to hear, what a pain. Man every few weeks someone is posting an experience similar to this. I really hope Onkyo discovers & acknowledges what the problem is with these AVRs and offers a fix.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 10:28 AM 02-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerwatch View Post

This sounds more like an electrical surge that fried the HDMI jacks (very sensitive to electrical surges) and then went on to fry the iPod as well since it was connected. Was there a storm that day?
Seadaddy's Avatar Seadaddy 10:36 AM 02-28-2012
Quote:

This sounds more like an electrical surge that fried the HDMI jacks (very sensitive to electrical surges) and then went on to fry the iPod as well since it was connected. Was there a storm that day?

I have mine ran through a panamax 5300 and you would be shocked to see the voltage jump and lower all of the time.
Ray77085's Avatar Ray77085 05:18 PM 02-28-2012
Is this the paper back Manuel ?

Part number: Description:
29400709 INS MANUAL EN(TX-NR809) $10.00

If so I feel as though I can get more out of it instead of the disc.
Soonerwatch's Avatar Soonerwatch 05:31 PM 02-28-2012
No storms and I have the unit plugged into a surge protector
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
First ... 116  117  118 119  120  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop