"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 129 - AVS Forum
First ... 127  128  129 130  131  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 11:49 AM 03-29-2012
^^^

the beancounters who oversee how much money goes into a piece of equipment...

in order to pass digital to multiple zones, you need multiple digital paths within the avr... since zones are of little use to the great majority of users, it's not "worth" putting the extra money (and thus raising the price in an EXTREMELY price sensitive market) into the unit bill of materials...

there are some units that will take a 2 channel pcm source via spdif and send it to subzones... my denon a100, for example, does...

there are no units that will do "real zone processing" from a hdmi input... the higher end yamaha's do it in "party mode", which isn't zone processing...

lol, yea that's better... i guess for those of us of a certain age, the "nazi" term is a lot stronger than possibly younger people realize...

ArnCapo's Avatar ArnCapo 12:43 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

the beancounters who oversee how much money goes into a piece of equipment...

in order to pass digital to multiple zones, you need multiple digital paths within the avr... since zones are of little use to the great majority of users, it's not "worth" putting the extra money (and thus raising the price in an EXTREMELY price sensitive market) into the unit bill of materials...

there are some units that will take a 2 channel pcm source via spdif and send it to subzones... my denon a100, for example, does...

there are no units that will do "real zone processing" from a hdmi input... the higher end yamaha's do it in "party mode", which isn't zone processing...

lol, yea that's better... i guess for those of us of a certain age, the "nazi" term is a lot stronger than possibly younger people realize...

Now that you explain it . . . My Bad!

BD: 1950/09/20 Yea sort of like the NDAA!
mairj's Avatar mairj 12:45 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadaddy View Post

Use 1080p and not 1080p24 as you will get a stuttered image

Thanks. Also before I had the 809, I would use the AMP feature on my samsung LED (usually clear or low) especially for sports. Since I`m upconverting using the 809, will the frame interpolation feature of the samsung still work correctly or should I just turn it off.
eko_taas's Avatar eko_taas 12:47 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnCapo View Post

Thanks guys for the feedback, but I suffer from being "almost useful" in this area, and your suggestions assumed I had attained the status of "useful".

The digital source I will use most on zone 2 is NET. I had tried running RCA cables from Front L/R Pre-Out jacks to VCR/DVR In jacks without success. What did I forget or configure incorrectly?

Is the lack of digital sources on zones due to the copyright Nazis?

NET is working also in zone2/3 w/o tricks/extra cables even if "digital".

Small list of actions ("almost useful" tp "useful")
1. Activate NET on zone 1 (so that music is on)
2. put zone 2/3 on
3. select zone 3/3 source as NET.
4. Select new source on zone one (main)
( or instead of 2+3 use "whole house mode to run all the same, main source cannpt be changed)

=> zone 2/3 will keep on running NET (at least in my vTuner, DNLA, Spotify)

Managed to be "useful" already ?

Nazis cannot be blaimed for everything, sometimes mirrow helps to find reason
grpape's Avatar grpape 01:15 PM 03-29-2012
I've been searching this thread, but haven't come across the problem I'm having.

When I try to access the GUI on my set (press set-up menu button on remote), it doesn't come up. I can change things via the AVR (by seeing the menu on its screen), but not on the set. I have gone through the "set-up menu" to either turn off/on the screen, but when "on" is chosen, nothing.

I also lost the volume level icon at the same time. In the same menu, you can choose (I believe) whether you want it displayed on the set or not. When I choose "on" (I believe this is the correct option), nothing is displayed.

I did unplug the AVR for about twenty seconds, but it did nothing. Everything else works as it's supposed too. I just wanted to see if any "gurus" out there have encountered or heard of this problem, and how one might fix it. I really don't wan to so a re-set (loose all settings), but will if I have too.

Thanks
ArnCapo's Avatar ArnCapo 01:22 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko_taas View Post

2. put zone 2/3 on
( or instead of 2+3 use "whole house mode to run all the same, main source cannpt be changed)

Tired that sequence already without success, its basically what's in the manual. The only difference is I'm streaming Pandora.

I've got zone 2 speakers wired directly to the 809 via the L/R wide front terminals. The only time they function is when the music mode includes the wide front speakers.
jcp777's Avatar jcp777 04:09 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

I've been searching this thread, but haven't come across the problem I'm having.

When I try to access the GUI on my set (press set-up menu button on remote), it doesn't come up. I can change things via the AVR (by seeing the menu on its screen), but not on the set. I have gone through the "set-up menu" to either turn off/on the screen, but when "on" is chosen, nothing.

I also lost the volume level icon at the same time. In the same menu, you can choose (I believe) whether you want it displayed on the set or not. When I choose "on" (I believe this is the correct option), nothing is displayed.

I did unplug the AVR for about twenty seconds, but it did nothing. Everything else works as it's supposed too. I just wanted to see if any "gurus" out there have encountered or heard of this problem, and how one might fix it. I really don't wan to so a re-set (loose all settings), but will if I have too.

Thanks

Are you pressing "Receiver" on the Remote Mode section of the remote control BEFORE you press the setup button? (The Remote Mode section is about two inches down from the top of the remote control).
joeycas's Avatar joeycas 04:13 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

Thanks

Is your display connected to the HDMI out MAIN or SUB? As I understand it, the GUI only comes up if your display is connected to the HDMI out MAIN.
chesster51's Avatar chesster51 06:07 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko_taas View Post

2. put zone 2/3 on

This is also the way I use zone 2. In fact it's the only way I've used. Net, DLNA, My PC, Music. Works every time.
jes3287's Avatar jes3287 07:28 PM 03-29-2012
The combination of my basement finishing costs and drop in price of the 809 to $699 may have just made up my mind. For $699 it seems like a no-brainer for a great middle of the road receiver. My only concern is the video decoding. Does the Pioneer chip really blow the Onkyo away?
ArnCapo's Avatar ArnCapo 08:32 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesster51 View Post

This is also the way I use zone 2. In fact it's the only way I've used. Net, DLNA, My PC, Music. Works every time.

I guess I've got to try something other than Pandora. You're streaming audio files from your PC via DLNA/My PC?
Davecraze's Avatar Davecraze 08:37 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes3287 View Post

The combination of my basement finishing costs and drop in price of the 809 to $699 may have just made up my mind. For $699 it seems like a no-brainer for a great middle of the road receiver. My only concern is the video decoding. Does the Pioneer chip really blow the Onkyo away?

I would actually expect it to be the other way around. The HQV Vida chip in the 809 is fairly new and has received good reviews. I am sure the Pioneer chip is decent though.
Warpster's Avatar Warpster 11:52 AM 03-30-2012
Well I just received my 809 today. Got it from Vanns for $699 and it arrived double boxed and in great shape.

Unfortunately my speakers have not arrived yet. I have a set of Magneplanar MMG and MMGW speakers on the way (30 day trial), sometime next week they should arrive. The MMG will be used for FL and FR and the MMGWs connected in series for the center channel (flanking the TV). I don't see that anyone in this thread has these. Any ideas from the crowd on how they will perform? For the moment I will be using a couple pairs of older bookshelf speakers for the surrounds, to be replaced in the future with MMGWs (probably). I will be listening to a mix of music and home theater.

I know it has been discussed before but what is the consensus on the 4/6 impedance setting? I know many on here suggest leaving it on 6 but the Maggies are extremely inefficient so I was thinking maybe I should change it?? Also until I replace the surrounds all but the LF and RF will be 8 ohm speakers....
JustinHEMI05's Avatar JustinHEMI05 12:06 PM 03-30-2012
Hello,

I've read about older model onkyos auto switching to night mode when playing truhd tracks. Does the 809 suffer from this?

Thanks
Justin
perplu's Avatar perplu 02:51 PM 03-30-2012
I thought I'd share my Onkyo heat issues and how I've resolved it, eventually ending up with a TX NR809.

I started out with a TX NR708 - after about 18 months started having issues, ie. no sound when on BD/DVD, tried factory resets and powering on and off etc - some luck sometimes and eventually did not resolve it at all. Sent it back to the NZ distributor and they refloated the solder on the HDMI board - which means gently heating the board from underneath to resettle the solder for the processor and ensure its soldered connections are good. It turns out this is common with Onkyo receivers.

Got the receiver back and after about 2 months the issue came back. Sent it back again and the distributor said they'd contact Onkyo in Japan to get a replacement HDMI board. They could not get an ETA from Onkyo Japan on the board and offered to upgrade me to the TX NR809 for a price; and they'd eventually fix and sell the TX NR708. I took them up on the offer.

So ... the TX NR809 as any owner will know generates a lot of heat, much like most Onkyo receivers. Even when in standby it still puts out a lot of heat. I've built a very nice cabinet for the audio-video equipment - it has no back, but has doors with cloth fronts. The receiver sits on one side of the cabinet with about 20cm space above it and about 10cm space around the sides. It still got scarily hot when on.

So .... I bought the fan below for $10 (NZ) from our local trademe site, plugged it into the USB port and proped it up at one end - see pic. No elegant I know, but the door is always closed. I found that if you lie it flat on the top of the receiver the fan speed lowered as clearly it was struggling a bit to move the air. But if prop it up and probably because there is no back on the cabinet, it works perfectly. You can't hear it and after hours of use, the receiver remains cool. Oh - the fan has a built-in blue light that goes when its on. Not keen on it, its a bit naff, I might see if I can disconnect it maybe when I'm in the mood; and perhaps find a more elegant way of propping up the fan too.

However, the USB ports on the NR809 are "always powered" so to help save its life and the life of the receiver I found the device below - Clever Watts easy-off socket - while the socket is RF controlled, the pack comes with a small battery powered IR receiver that means you can use your Onkyo or any remote to operate the Easy Off IR receiver which communicates with the easy-off socket by RF. I had to search hi and low to find something like this - as didn't want to have another remote just to power the receiver on and off. So I've used the macro feature in the Onkyo remote to put the receiver into stanby before mains powering it off with the clever watts thing.

All works well - except I will say the Easy Off IR receiver unit is a bit poopy from time to time - it doesn't react to the remote sometimes - which is annoying when you have a macro set up to power all your stuff off and on. I was nearly going to return the thing - except I can't find anything else here in wee NZ or Australia that does the same thing. It must forget that its supposed to react to my remote control and switch the receiver off or on.
Hope this is useful as I've read a lot of forum messages about Onkyo heat issues and not all of us want to have the equipment on display in the open - I like to have it all hidden. So if someone finds a similar product I'd be interested and ditch the Easy Off thing. Cheers.

Have just learnt I cant add links yet and understand why - its those turdy poopy spammers. So:
Search amazon dot com for "Notebook Cooler 184mm"

Then for the IR controlled plug search:
jaycar dot co dot nz for "ir controlled wireless mains sockets"

or for those outside Australia and NZ I found the product on
www dot latestbuy dot com
Search for "easy off wireless mains sockets"
LL
toofast68's Avatar toofast68 02:55 PM 03-30-2012
^^^To be Honest and no disrespect, but my 809 runs 100% cooler than the rest of my Onkyo's. I love your idea, but I doubt I will worry abou it...my stays nice and cool.
PeterTHX's Avatar PeterTHX 02:58 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

Hello,

I've read about older model onkyos auto switching to night mode when playing truhd tracks. Does the 809 suffer from this?

I'm not sure what you mean here. AUTO meant the trigger for night mode was set in the software and it rarely happened. Iron Man was one of the few titles that was flagged for "on".
chesster51's Avatar chesster51 03:27 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnCapo View Post

I guess I've got to try something other than Pandora. You're streaming audio files from your PC via DLNA/My PC?

That is correct, and having no issues.
JustinHEMI05's Avatar JustinHEMI05 04:23 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

I'm not sure what you mean here. AUTO meant the trigger for night mode was set in the software and it rarely happened. Iron Man was one of the few titles that was flagged for "on".

Gotcha, thanks.
mva5580's Avatar mva5580 04:47 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

^^^To be Honest and no disrespect, but my 809 runs 100% cooler than the rest of my Onkyo's. I love your idea, but I doubt I will worry abou it...my stays nice and cool.

I definitely agree with this. I've owned at least 4 other Onkyo receivers in the past and in the week that I've owned the 809 I've been shocked at how much cooler it runs than the others. I had it on for ~4 hours last night and I put my hand up to it expecting it to be quite warm.....and it just wasn't. I was very pleasantly surprised. Maybe it'll get worse after some "burn in" or something but it was most definitely a difference from other Onkyo's that I've had.
Trisstan's Avatar Trisstan 04:55 PM 03-30-2012
okay I have a question for all the NR809 owners here. I need to upgrade my old amp as got a 3D tv and need an amp that can handle the 1.4 specs. I just read that the NR818 should be coming out in the next few months. I can currently get a 809 here locally in Manitoba Canada for just under $1000 before taxes. Now my question is should I get the 809 now or should I wait and get the 818 when it comes out? We will be moving into our new house in the middle of May so it makes purchasing a new amp in June perfectly fine for me.

Just need help making the decision, if you are wondering the tv I have is a Sony 46" HX909. The plan as well is to finish piecing together my RF-62 II Home Theater system, have the center and sub already (or am I going for more Receiver than needed). I am hooking up Bell PVR, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, and home pc.

Opinions and advice please and thank you.
TC_Lauderdale's Avatar TC_Lauderdale 05:01 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

I have to agree with others in the thread, this 809 is the coolest running AVR I've ever owned. It's in a glass front cabinet with minimal ventilation and remains very cool to the touch. Now my HD Motorola Comcast box is another story, you can cook eggs on that unit.
Chappy-2's Avatar Chappy-2 05:35 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisstan View Post

okay I have a question for all the NR809 owners here. I need to upgrade my old amp as got a 3D tv and need an amp that can handle the 1.4 specs. I just read that the NR818 should be coming out in the next few months. I can currently get a 809 here locally in Manitoba Canada for just under $1000 before taxes. Now my question is should I get the 809 now or should I wait and get the 818 when it comes out? We will be moving into our new house in the middle of May so it makes purchasing a new amp in June perfectly fine for me.

Just need help making the decision, if you are wondering the tv I have is a Sony 46" HX909. The plan as well is to finish piecing together my RF-62 II Home Theater system, have the center and sub already.

Opinions and advice please and thank you.

I was in a similar situation....wait for NR818 or go ahead & purchase the NR809. I am finishing a basement & won't need it for another month. I decided to go ahead & purchase the NR809 now.

Retailers are currently discounting the NR809 to reduce inventory in preparation of the NR818. It can be purchased for $699 (in the US) from several online retailers. Secondly, I did not see a large leap in technology / options in the NR818 that justified the higher cost of a newer model.

Hope this helps!
Trisstan's Avatar Trisstan 08:14 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 View Post

I was in a similar situation....wait for NR818 or go ahead & purchase the NR809. I am finishing a basement & won't need it for another month. I decided to go ahead & purchase the NR809 now.

Retailers are currently discounting the NR809 to reduce inventory in preparation of the NR818. It can be purchased for $699 (in the US) from several online retailers. Secondly, I did not see a large leap in technology / options in the NR818 that justified the higher cost of a newer model.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Chappy. Hey did you get the nickname from Iron Eagle? God I love that movie.

I wish it was severally discounted here in Canada, but retailers for electronics like this decide to rape you senseless. Makes me wish I had a passport and could drive to go get one, but hey it would work out the same cause of gas.

I think you are right and hopefully it will go down some more here.
snguyen's Avatar snguyen 07:41 PM 03-31-2012
Totally agree. I'm dumber for reading the manual. BTW, ask.audyssey.com is a good resource.
grpape's Avatar grpape 12:07 AM 04-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp777 View Post

Are you pressing "Receiver" on the Remote Mode section of the remote control BEFORE you press the setup button? (The Remote Mode section is about two inches down from the top of the remote control).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycas View Post

Is your display connected to the HDMI out MAIN or SUB? As I understand it, the GUI only comes up if your display is connected to the HDMI out MAIN.

Thanks for the help guys. What happened is exactly what you said joeycas. My HDMI was plugged into the Sub. instead of the Main.

I was changing out my Bluray player and other components when we lost power. Right as I was switching out HDMI cables, poof the electricity goes off. Nothing like holding HDMI cables crunched into a cavity in total darkness.

Needless to say. I did work things out and corrected my mishap.

Thanks to all.
DeepakIMT's Avatar DeepakIMT 02:22 AM 04-01-2012
I am trying to use "Play to" feature in WMP 12...

I can play music thru Onkyo by browsing thru Net>DLNA>Server setup by WMP12....it plays flawlessly...

But when i chose play to feature in wmp12 i get "Device not responding" error.....

I have updated firware of NR809 and disabled firewall....

Other facts Twonky works,,,and play to feature works with WD Live....
rvrichardson's Avatar rvrichardson 05:36 AM 04-01-2012
My setup is as follows. Uverse receiver (CBL/Sat-HDMI in)/TXNR809/Samsung TV UN55D7000L (ARC-HDMI).

So late at night I power off the 809 and listen to the audio though the TV speakers. Then when finished power off the TV and Uverse receiver.
In the morning when I power on just the TV and Uverse receiver (not the 809), the audio on the TV works for about 30 seconds then goes silent. If I power on the 809, the input has changed from Cable/Sat to TV/CD.

I know I can switch off the RIHD off and set the "HDMI Through" to "CBL/SAT", however this takes out the fun of RIHD. If I switch off the Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) setting on the Samsung TV, then the ARC function does not operate correctly when watching NETFLIX through the TVs SmartHub feature.

I can't understand why the 809 switches to TV/CD when in standby mode, even when there is a signal coming on the CBL/SAT input.
Ray77085's Avatar Ray77085 06:10 AM 04-01-2012
I can't seem to get a picture to display on my TV when using an old XBOX.
I have the optical going out of the xbox into the 809 game jack , so I have sound.

I have the xbox component cables going out from the xbox into the 809 via the blue ray component input jacks. The component out of the 809 cables then run to the input components jacks on the TV.

Is that the right connection to make ? I'm still confused by looking at the 809's manual.

I already have the HDMI jack in on the 809 with a Blue Ray player if that makes a difference in terms of jacks.
Thanks for any input and please put it simple for me to understand.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:26 AM 04-01-2012
^^
Assign the xBox component video input to a source another source name that is not being used.
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
First ... 127  128  129 130  131  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop