post #361 of 6034 Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankenn View Post

Excellent, thanks! That really is impressive considering the measured output of the 1008/3008/5008.

Hello,'
Mind you I am using Outboard Amplifiers for All Channels on my 3008, but I find it very hard to believe that the 809 has more power than either the 3008 or 5008 as both are THX Ultra2 Certified while both the 809 and the Integra are THX Select and both weigh almost 20 Pounds more. Also, the AVR Reviewed from that link is based off the 808 and not the 809.

There has been a great deal of debate about the All Channels Driven Test. Especially the methodology. All I know is it simply does not make sense that AVR's that have 4 separate Power Transformers would be less powerful.

The Integra based off the 807 also output over 100 Watts when tested by HT Magazine as well. Perhaps it could be that the 3000 and 5000 are 9 Channel AVR's, but it just does not make sense.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6034 Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone have any idea why I'm not getting audio out of my second HDMI out when I run two screens at once? I get perfect video on them both, sound on the main screen, but no sound on the second HDMI out. I may just be doing something wrong, but want to make sure something isn't broken.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #363 of 6034 Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post

My first "issue" has to do with resolution changes from my cable box. When changing channels on the cable box and the resolution changes from say a 1080 HD picture to a 480 SD picture there is a significant delay (3 seconds or so) from when the channel change is initiated to when the picture is actually displayed on the TV. The delay is long enough for the TV to think that there is no signal and will display that there is no signal for a moment, then the picture will appear.

Is this "just the way it is"? Should I go back to component from the cable box to the receiver (I.e. is this this a handshaking issue when changing resolutions)?

Thanks All...

Yes. This is just "the way it is" with HDMI. The handshaking process can take several seconds & is instituted anytime signal is lost or changes (including both resolution & audio codec changes.) The longer and/or more complicated your HDMI chain, the longer the handshake will take.
post #364 of 6034 Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,'
Mind you I am using Outboard Amplifiers for All Channels on my 3008, but I find it very hard to believe that the 809 has more power than either the 3008 or 5008 as both are THX Ultra2 Certified while both the 809 and the Integra are THX Select and both weigh almost 20 Pounds more. Also, the AVR Reviewed from that link is based off the 808 and not the 809.

There has been a great deal of debate about the All Channels Driven Test. Especially the methodology. All I know is it simply does not make sense that AVR's that have 4 separate Power Transformers would be less powerful.

The Integra based off the 807 also output over 100 Watts when tested by HT Magazine as well. Perhaps it could be that the 3000 and 5000 are 9 Channel AVR's, but it just does not make sense.
Cheers,
AD

I would be inclined to agree, given the specs on the power supply sections of the 3008/5008, but it was even the same magazine that performed the 7 ch measurements, so while they may be off relative to other testing, relative to each other they should be somewhat correct.
post #365 of 6034 Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8gray View Post

How do you know that the 50.2 is equivalent to the 809? I'm not disputing your claim, just wondering where you got the info.

I don't know it, just assuming. Their stated specs and features are identical and the back panels are nearly identical.
post #366 of 6034 Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint_ View Post

i don't know it, just assuming. Their stated specs and features are identical and the back panels are nearly identical.

50.3=809
50.2=808
post #367 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

OK, just set up my new 809 (big upgrade from an old H/K).

My first "issue" has to do with resolution changes from my cable box. When changing channels on the cable box and the resolution changes from say a 1080 HD picture to a 480 SD picture there is a significant delay (3 seconds or so) from when the channel change is initiated to when the picture is actually displayed on the TV. The delay is long enough for the TV to think that there is no signal and will display that there is no signal for a moment, then the picture will appear.

I am using HDMI from the cable box to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV. My old H/K had no HDMI so all of this used to be done through component.

I have also set the HDMI setting on the receiver to Through but the delay exists...

Is this "just the way it is"? Should I go back to component from the cable box to the receiver (I.e. is this this a handshaking issue when changing resolutions)?

Thanks All...

Most, but not all, cable boxes have the ability to set the output to a fixed resolution. Try setting it to 1080i rather than auto. This would reduce or eliminate the need to renegotiate.

If that doesn't work, switching back to component probably would not result in any loss of resolution. Cable boxes are notorious for hdmi issues.
post #368 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

I'm contemplating getting the 809 but don't have a HDMI compatible TV. It'll be connected via Component, so I won't be able to use the on-screen menus. Anybody know how easy it is to use via the front panel LCD? In particular how easy Audyssey is to setup via it?

Mark.

As I posted previously, I don't have an HDMI compatible TV - I'm using a 64" Pioneer HD monitor (rear projection CRT technology, great picture).

I've purchased a Moome Card that allows you to go HDMI out to component in to your TV and use all functionality as if it were HDMI connected. Their EXT V3 is $280.00 and I'm waiting for it to come from Taiwan.

www.moomecard.com

Extended warranty: Based on all the Onkyo "issues" I sprung for the 2 year extended warranty from NewEgg. I typically avoid them like the plague but I figured this one time it would be worth the peace of mind.
post #369 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mtn Dan View Post

As I posted previously, I don't have an HDMI compatible TV - I'm using a 64" Pioneer HD monitor (rear projection CRT technology, great picture).

I've purchased a Moome Card that allows you to go HDMI out to component in to your TV and use all functionality as if it were HDMI connected. Their EXT V3 is $280.00 and I'm waiting for it to come from Taiwan.

www.moomecard.com

Extended warranty: Based on all the Onkyo "issues" I sprung for the 2 year extended warranty from NewEgg. I typically avoid them like the plague but I figured this one time it would be worth the peace of mind.

Hello,
You might want to consider getting the Extended Warranty from ShopOnkyo as many 3rd Party Warranty Companies can be problematic in terms of where you can take the AVR for Service and how they handle Exchanges when the Repair costs more than the AVR.

The ShopOnkyo Warranty is identical to the regular Onkyo Warranty. For my TX-NR3008, it costs 84 Dollars for 2 additional years. I would imagine it would be less for the 809. All I know is when my B-Stock TX-NR3007 failed while still under the original Warranty, I ended up getting an A-Stock TX-NR3008.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #370 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM

$65 for extended 2 years is pretty cheap esp for the receiver, i think ill be making this purchase
post #371 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxCatz View Post

Yes. This is just "the way it is" with HDMI. The handshaking process can take several seconds & is instituted anytime signal is lost or changes (including both resolution & audio codec changes.) The longer and/or more complicated your HDMI chain, the longer the handshake will take.

Bummer... And I was selling the virtues of HDMI to make the wife happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post

Does it do it on pass through? If not this may still be a good way to go.

Yes, I set it to through and it still has the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkem View Post

Try setting it to 1080i rather than auto. This would reduce or eliminate the need to renegotiate.

My issue with this is the cable box does a horrible job of upscaling as compared to the TV (and probably the AVR).

I think switching back to component may be the way to go for me here. Ah well...
Thanks All!
post #372 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 AM

post #373 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
You might want to consider getting the Extended Warranty from ShopOnkyo as many 3rd Party Warranty Companies can be problematic in terms of where you can take the AVR for Service and how they handle Exchanges when the Repair costs more than the AVR.

The ShopOnkyo Warranty is identical to the regular Onkyo Warranty. For my TX-NR3008, it costs 84 Dollars for 2 additional years. I would imagine it would be less for the 809. All I know is when my B-Stock TX-NR3007 failed while still under the original Warranty, I ended up getting an A-Stock TX-NR3008.
Cheers,
AD

Thanks very much for posting this. I've just talked to NewEgg and they are refunding my $79.99 for 2 year extended service plan and I'm going with the Onkyo 2 year Extended factory Warranty (quite different) for $65.00 for the TX-NR809 http://www.shoponkyo.com/addtocart.c...XNR809&type=10

I ordered a 2-year extended warranty from the Onkyo website today for my TX-NR809. The website charged me $5.69 tax (not reflected on the order confirmation I received today). I called the Onkyo company phone number, was on hold for 1/2 an hour only to be told it's taxable. I asked to speak to the manager and she said I could not. She gave me his email address: jack.cooper@us.onkyo.com

Jack Cooper is the National Service Manager at Onkyo U.S.A. Corporation jack.cooper@us.onkyo.com >

Thanks Jack!
post #374 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM

i will be purchasing the 809 once i offload my denon 788 on craigslist, and if i can find the $699 ish price again.

809 + android app =
post #375 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info about the android app. I went from iPhone to android and clearly the better choice is android IMO.
post #376 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfd71 View Post

Just saw this
http://thetechjournal.com/electronic...-systems.xhtml

Note: The above is an Android remote app for "Android can control your home theater systems"
post #377 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

hello all. I just bought the 809 from Frys this past weekend who price matched Amazon's price over the weekend. I am replacing a Yamaha rx-v667 which I liked but it lacked good power at high volume and network capabilities. I have noticed quite a difference in sound between the two receivers. I currently own Polk TSI 500s, CS20 center and the 505 sub. I like how both receivers sound but I'm still trying to justify my Onkyo purchase. Has anyone else here had the Yamaha RX-V667 compared to the Onkyo? I still don't believe I've had the Onkyo at it's full capacity yet. I care more about music than movies, so im wondering if I get an external amp instead of replacing the AVR, would the amp's sound take over or will I still hear the sound differences between the AVRs? I'm sort of new to higher end AV so I'm kind of a newbie. thanks in advance for input.
post #378 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg74 View Post

I like how both receivers sound but I'm still trying to justify my Onkyo purchase. I care more about music than movies, so im wondering if I get an external amp instead of replacing the AVR, would the amp's sound take over or will I still hear the sound differences between the AVRs?

Don't need to justify. Are you happy? Both AVR's WILL sound better with good external amplification. They will still sound different. Yamaha tends to be lighter in the midrange and upper bass. Onkyo sounds more balanced to me. I have planar tweeters that emphasize the tipped up sound from Yamaha and reveal more hiss than from other good midrange brands. Less expensive tubby sounding speakers sometimes sound much better with Yamaha. Its all about what you like, not me or anyone else.
post #379 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Bummer... And I was selling the virtues of HDMI to make the wife happy.

Yes, I set it to through and it still has the issue.

My issue with this is the cable box does a horrible job of upscaling as compared to the TV (and probably the AVR).

I think switching back to component may be the way to go for me here. Ah well...
Thanks All!

in my experience the 809 upscaling is excellent and much better than any of the 3 tv's i have. you should at least try it. so so so many options to adjust the picture it should work out.
post #380 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipton View Post

in my experience the 809 upscaling is excellent and much better than any of the 3 tv's i have. you should at least try it. so so so many options to adjust the picture it should work out.

I don't doubt that the 809 upscales wonderfully. My TV does as well. The issue isn't that, the issue is the 2 - 4 second delay when switching resolutions from the cable box (i.e. changing channels/surfing or the current channel going from a HD program to a SD commercial).
post #381 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried their dual HDMI outs to two screens at once? I get picture to both of my outputs, but I can't seem to get sound from the second monitor. I get sound from the first one though. I just want to know if there's a setting somewhere I'm missing. I've messed around with the receiver, but can't seem to figure it out. Wondering if anyone else' works right off the bat when doing dual monitors. Need to know if mine is defective or if I'm missing a setting.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #382 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Has anyone tried their dual HDMI outs to two screens at once? I get picture to both of my outputs, but I can't seem to get sound from the second monitor. I get sound from the first one though. I just want to know if there's a setting somewhere I'm missing. I've messed around with the receiver, but can't seem to figure it out. Wondering if anyone else' works right off the bat when doing dual monitors. Need to know if mine is defective or if I'm missing a setting.

From what I've read thats the norm.
post #383 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Regarding standby power consumption:

Check out page 83 of your manual

"In the following cases, the power consumption in stndby mode may reach up to a maximum of 75w"

using universal port
network control
hdmi control (RIHD)
hdmi through

well at least they are being honest
post #384 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

From what I've read thats the norm.

Are we supposed to be getting sound out of both? LOL!

Quote:
post #385 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are we supposed to be getting sound out of both? LOL!

Sorry from what I read you will only get sound from one HDMI if your using both HDMI at the same time is there another way to get sound to the one without sound not sure.Get mine on Friday.
post #386 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder71 View Post

Regarding standby power consumption:

Check out page 83 of your manual

"In the following cases, the power consumption in stndby mode may reach up to a maximum of 75w"

using universal port
network control
hdmi control (RIHD)
hdmi through

well at least they are being honest

Hmm...I've noticed that my 809 stays pretty warm when turned off. I don't use the other options, but I think I may have it set for HDMI THROUGH. I was thinking that was necessary to make it just pass the signal from my Oppo Blu-ray player untouched. Is this not the case? Being that where I live it has been over 100 degrees pretty much every day for the last 40 or 50 days, I really don't need it to put out that much heat when turned off.

post #387 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Has anyone tried their dual HDMI outs to two screens at once? I get picture to both of my outputs, but I can't seem to get sound from the second monitor. I get sound from the first one though. I just want to know if there's a setting somewhere I'm missing. I've messed around with the receiver, but can't seem to figure it out.

Hi MrEastSide, try setting the source audio output as PCM.
post #388 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Hmm...I've noticed that my 809 stays pretty warm when turned off. I don't use the other options, but I think I may have it set for HDMI THROUGH. I was thinking that was necessary to make it just pass the signal from my Oppo Blu-ray player untouched. Is this not the case? Being that where I live it has been over 100 degrees pretty much every day for the last 40 or 50 days, I really don't need it to put out that much heat when turned off.

I thought the pass though was for watching the TV without having the receiver on.
post #389 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I thought the pass though was for watching the TV without having the receiver on.

Ah, I see. Maybe I will turn that off and see how hot it stays when turned off. But how do I make sure no video processing is going on when watching my BD player?

post #390 of 6034 Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM

My 809 should arrive in two days (my very first receiver). I also am moving into my first apartment and have bought a 55" Samsung D8000 and am shopping around for a TV stand. Would the following stand work as housing for the 809?:

"Techcraft BAY6028 AV Credenza Up To 60-Inch" (Search for it on amazon). I would post a link to it but since I'm a noob I can't post links until I make three posts.

Beyond just fitting I've read Onkyo's need room to breathe, am I going to need to buy an audio stand too?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page