"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks GlassWolf & jdsmoothie for your valuable input. It feels like a cold shower! p

I think the manual is very unclear about the downsampling that you mention on page 36 to 38...

For music CD, I don't even use the 809, I have a dacmagic than feeds an stereo amp which is connected to the 809 pre out for movies.

I've the 809 for more than 1 year... I can't believe I only realize now that I was using the wrong setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1 View Post

Well I did get the TP-Link adapter and it doesn't work in the receiver either. I still get "No Access Point Found." The positive thing is that it works great in this 10 year old laptop and has a wireless speed of 17 Mbits/sec sitting in the exact same location as the receiver. Obviously, the problem is the AVR, not the wireless adapters.

Onkyo responded again with it must be my firewall settings. So I disconnect my anti-virus and firewall. Same thing. The problem is, I can find every network on the block with every wireless device we have in the house. My Wii is hooked up via Wifi in the same location as the AVR. I just wish that Onkyo would own up to the fact that while their sound is great, that their product (the AVR and the Adapter) are not keeping up with the times. The Powerline bridge is on its way anyway and my old laptop now has a cheap and fast wireless adapter.

Wow, really???
Once I did the "manual connection", I got my TP-LINK TL-WN722N to work in minutes and has been working fine. I would offer to help (maybe a step by step guide?), but looks like you got your mind set on that bridge.
Anyhow GL
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
FYI: Fry's in Woodland Hills, CA just got two 809's in stock, one open box at 5% off and one in an unopened box.

The price tag on the shelf is $399. Just thought I'd share.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

FYI: Fry's in Woodland Hills, CA just got two 809's in stock, one open box at 5% off and one in an unopened box.

The price tag on the shelf is $399. Just thought I'd share.

I bought the last 809 at the Wilsonville OR store Sunday for $399. Felt like they were going to stop me on my way out for robbing the store.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
I wish we saw these prices in canada! I got mine a few weeks ago for $980 + tax and I thought I got a good deal.. $400 is insane!

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

I bought the last 809 at the Wilsonville OR store Sunday for $399. Felt like they were going to stop me on my way out for robbing the store.

yeah sounds like a mistake, it's still listed as $999 on the website!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

If anybody wants a steal on a 709 go checkout Ebay I listed one there new in box. Just follow my username.
Can't believe how much these big box retailers will discount past years models to make room for the new ones. It's insane!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I wish we saw these prices in canada! I got mine a few weeks ago for $980 + tax and I thought I got a good deal.. $400 is insane!

It's never good, but just think of Euro prices. My UK 809 was £999 last September - $1500. Hope this helps you get over it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have a stupid question... If I want to listen to audio the way it's intended to sound, do I set the receiver to Pure Audio or Direct? I have had everything set to THX Cinema after I ran the Audyssey calibration but know that's not right.

Thanks for the help.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

yeah sounds like a mistake, it's still listed as $999 on the website!!!

Not a mistake, it's red-tagged along with the rest of the X09 models, but the 809 has the best price. The 609 was $349 and the 709 was $450. Sort of a no-brainer which to get. I have an 818 on pre-order and have a 609 already, so I had no need for an 809.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:

Darn.. Why don't we have Fry's here...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:

If anybody wants a steal on a 709 go checkout Ebay I listed one there new in box. Just follow my username.
Can't believe how much these big box retailers will discount past years models to make room for the new ones. It's insane!

I don't know but only Fry's seem to have that deep discount. Rest everyone else is sticking to $699 price range for 809..
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In regards to Pure Audio or Direct, try both and see which you prefer. None of my Onkyos or Integras offer Pure Audio so I couldn't say, but Direct just uses the front two main speakers, no sub, vs Stereo using the sub as well.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I have a stupid question... If I want to listen to audio the way it's intended to sound, do I set the receiver to Pure Audio or Direct? I have had everything set to THX Cinema after I ran the Audyssey calibration but know that's not right.

Thanks for the help.

Neither ... as both disable Audyssey. If you want to listen to it the way the mixer intended, you'll want to use both Audyssey and Audyssey Dyn EQ.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Neither ... as both disable Audyssey. If you want to listen to it the way the mixer intended, you'll want to use both Audyssey and Audyssey Dyn EQ.

Thanks for the quick response! What would I choose in the Listening Mode Preset?

Audyssey DSX is greyed out in the Audio Adjust menu. Word there be a reason for that?

Apologies for the noob questions.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
^^
Do you have a 7.1 setup with speakers connected to either the Front Wide or Front Height speaker posts? Also note that although Audyssey DSX is another feature of Audyssey, it is a simulation feature and different from your first question which I answered with using both Audyssey MultEQ XT and Dyn EQ.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
Do you have a 7.1 setup with speakers connected to either the Front Wide or Front Height speaker posts? Also note that although Audyssey DSX is another feature of Audyssey, it is a simulation feature and different from your first question which I answered with using both Audyssey MultEQ XT and Dyn EQ.

I'm only running5.1 at the moment. That's why it's greyed out.

Updating my firmware now and will figure this all out. I want the Audyssey processing while hearing the source audio as it was intended to be.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I'm only running5.1 at the moment. That's why it's greyed out.

Updating my firmware now and will figure this all out. I want the Audyssey processing while hearing the source audio as it was intended to be.

use "stereo" mode
that should allow use of audissey, and no matrices, but will allow for sound shaping to adjust for room acoustics.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Does straight decode use Audyssey?

Edit: yes, it does.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

It's never good, but just think of Euro prices. My UK 809 was £999 last September - $1500. Hope this helps you get over it.

Ouch!! You have my sympathy on the price, but a great deal of thanks for all the posts you have done, several of which have helped me a lot on my journey to understand this wonderful beast we call the 809
Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

THX Cinema does a better job of that IMO.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

THX Cinema does a better job of that IMO.

I must respectfully disagree. THX Cinema is a matrixed mode, and will never, in my personal opinion, out-do the original discrete dolby digital or DTS mastering. If we're talking stereo, I still don't like surround modes for music for a multitude of reasons.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

I must respectfully disagree. THX Cinema is a matrixed mode, and will never, in my personal opinion, out-do the original discrete dolby digital or DTS mastering. If we're talking stereo, I still don't like surround modes for music for a multitude of reasons.

THX Cinema is only matrixed for non-discrete formats, like stereo (where it works on top of Pro-Logic IIx or DTS-NEO) or expanding 5.1 to 7.1. The discrete channels of a 5.1/6.1/7.1 soundtrack are maintained.

The Audyssey set levels and EQ patterns are also maintained. The THX modes work on top of those as well.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

$399 for this receiver is insanity. None of the Fry's here in GA had it for that price so I paid the onecall price, which is still great for this receiver IMHO. I unboxed it last night, the thing is huge but I like it :-) I did the firmware update without a hitch, but it did take a long time (about an hour). I've owned a 709 so setting it up should be relatively painless.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

THX Cinema is only matrixed for non-discrete formats, like stereo (where it works on top of Pro-Logic IIx or DTS-NEO) or expanding 5.1 to 7.1. The discrete channels of a 5.1/6.1/7.1 soundtrack are maintained.

The Audyssey set levels and EQ patterns are also maintained. The THX modes work on top of those as well.

Exactly, and like I said, to hear the audio the way the mastering engineer intended it, just use straight stereo mode for 2 channel, or dolby digital or DTS for multi-channel, which is default on most receivers anyway.. Any time you need a DSP to monkey with the original source material, it's coloring things.
I've tried THX cinema for music, and too much of the signal is put to the center channel, although it is nice for SD TV broadcasts to get multi-channel audio for the few stations left on DirecTV that I watch that aren't already HD (I'm looking at you, BBCa.)

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

one matrix setting i really enjoy is all-channel stereo for music. it can be impressive!!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

one matrix setting i really enjoy is all-channel stereo for music. it can be impressive!!

yeah I think I mentioned earlier that I use that as well for "room fill" music, such as having people over and wanting some backgroound music..

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
which listining mode should i use for movies?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Exactly, and like I said, to hear the audio the way the mastering engineer intended it, just use straight stereo mode for 2 channel, or dolby digital or DTS for multi-channel, which is default on most receivers anyway.. Any time you need a DSP to monkey with the original source material, it's coloring things.
I've tried THX cinema for music, and too much of the signal is put to the center channel, although it is nice for SD TV broadcasts to get multi-channel audio for the few stations left on DirecTV that I watch that aren't already HD (I'm looking at you, BBCa.)

For DD & DTS the THX modes don't "color" things to mess with the signal. They can balance soundtracks that sounded great theatrically but are too aggressive and harsh for home. It also helps 2 surround speakers sound more like the array at the theater. You'd be surprised how unbalanced things can become from the journey to the home from the theater.

For music, there's THX Music. I would not recommend THX Cinema for that.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM

I have a 809, in the 30 day return period with a good serial #. I can exchange for a 818 for more money, would this be worth it to get XT32 for a 5.1 system?

How much of a difference is there going to be, going from XT to XT32 on a 5.1 system?

I have NO plans on going to a system with more speakers or subs. (WAF)

Thanks,

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808