Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post

It was me you replied to, and you are corrrect. My main issue with the multi-channel analog inputs was protection against obsolescence, since I plan to use digital connections. Regarding your last comments on the pre-amp/processor, my main issue will be the cost of going that route. A receiver provides a suitable solution at an effective entry price for my current needs....Does not mean I don't agree with the point you are trying to make...
thanks....

You're welcome...let us know which model you get and how you like it once you have it set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is nuts. This evening I got the "HDMI start up". Everything goes dead on the receiver except a big "Onkyo" logo across the TV. No audio, no other picture, nada. I've had this receiver about 5 months with no problem up to this point.

Troubleshooting, when I unplug the main HDMI that runs from the receiver to the TV, the audio comes back. I've tried a different HDMI cable, no luck. It's not the cable. When I unplug all my other HDMI devices, so long as the primary output to the TV is plugged in, no change, all silence, and just an Onkyo logo across the screen and the "HDMI start up" message on the face of the receiver. It's useless.

While it's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one with this problem, anyone ever figure this out short of returning it to Onkyo? I'm not even sure physically how to do this at this point.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM

You don't say what device you are trying to use or whether other devices work when you try them. If any device will work, try that cable and input with the device that doesn't work.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just pull the plug, wait awhile and power back up. That will sometimes get things working. There is also a complete reset procedure, forget how to do it exactly. It's a PITA though as you have to go in and set everything up all over again.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wrote the following several weeks ago. Has no one else with a similar setup not seen/heard the issue? (save for the few on the Onkyo forum and Roku forum pages?

Are all of you with Rokus not using the DD+ or Roku 5.1DD settings?

Have any of you checked?

Did you see the Austrian dude sky dive from 24 1/2 miles up?

Quote:
Since this is the "official TX-NR809 Thread" perhaps you guys can help me get to the bottom of an issue with regards to using a Roku 2 HD streamer and the 809.

I've started what have turned into lengthy threads on the Onkyo support forum...

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t1178-roku-issue-with-my-809

And another similar request for help at the roku forum...

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49584

If you take the time to read the posts and I understand that can be a PITA, the issue is simply this...

With the Roku set for 5.1DD output or when using Netflix and the embedded DD+, in any video mode other than "DIRECT" on the Onkyo, the image is decidedly pink. This negates the use of the ISF Presets, Custom and of course the others.

As you might read, I've developed a workaround or two and I'm also in communication with both Roku and Onkyo Techs, as at least Onkyo has repeated the issue in their labs.

The surprising thing is that it is not a more widespread issue. This may be due to the fact that most folks do not implement the 5.1DD in the Roku setup page or the DD+ setup option for audio in the Netflix film selection menu. In any event, when hitting "Display" on the Onkyo remote those that are not seeing a pink screen may well be inputting the 2.0 audio from the Roku. When those I've asked on the other forums verify that they are receiving 5.1 or DD+ signal they report that they then get a pink screen.

Of course there are far fewer owners posting on the official support forums for both manufacturers than those posting here, but the results seem stable that there is an issue 'twixt the Roku2 series and for that matter Onkyo's from the 609 and up to a 3009 from which owners have gotten back to me.

If you have a new Roku 2 and a 9 or 18 series Onkyo, take a peek at the display numbers from the Onkyo to assure you are setup to receive 5. 1 and DD+ with Amazon and Netfilx respectively. If you find you are now getting a pink screen, please report to the above links.

Thanks,

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Just grabbed a new 809 of Amazon for a great price. I love catching these AVR's for a great price after the new model has come out. It's replacing a 110w Marantz, Im shocked the 809 weighs 14lbs more eek.gif

Also grabbed the wifi adapter. Was going to get a 818, but as someone who has MultiEq now, I figure XT is a nice upgrade. Excited to try out the new power smile.gif

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 PM

I just ordered mine off amazon too. Thought it was a great deal. Im coming from a Pioneer 84txsi, looking forward to checking out audessay and a networked receiver with the I control app.

Onkyo TX-NR809
Panasonic 54s2
KEF IQ 9
KEF IQ 6c
KEF IQ 3
Polk PSW 505(2)
Oppo BDP 83
OrigenAE HTPC
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Just grabbed a new 809 of Amazon for a great price. I love catching these AVR's for a great price after the new model has come out. It's replacing a 110w Marantz, Im shocked the 809 weighs 14lbs more eek.gif
Also grabbed the wifi adapter. Was going to get a 818, but as someone who has MultiEq now, I figure XT is a nice upgrade. Excited to try out the new power smile.gif

I'd be interested in your thoughts on how the sound on both movies and music compares to your Marantz. I've had my 809, which replaced a Yamaha RX-V1800, for 1.5 years now, and I immediately thought it sounded better than the Yamaha. However, I have never owned a modern Marantz receiver and I am thinking of getting a network receiver for the bedroom.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I do like the Marantz/Denon sound, but it seems in these newer models Onkyo have stuck with a little more heft than Denon on the power side, just looking at specs. I also noticed in magazine reviews, as you add more channels, the Onkyo amps seem to have a smaller percentage in drop of power.

MultiEq XT is should be a decent step up too.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, so far I think it sounds great watching HDTV and DD 5.1. Setup was nice, other than the fact it barely fit and dwarfed the AVR it replaced. Thing is a monster. MultiEQ XT was a little different than MultiEQ in setup, in a good way.

Vey happy so far, will need to demo some blu tomorrow.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Looking for some help on figuring out what to do. My BIL gave me his old receiver (Onkyo 809) and I finally decided to try hooking it up yesterday.

- Plugged in all the speakers for 7.1 (almost all via banana plugs). Plugged in PS3.
- Turned it on. Right away it was working, showing me the previews from my movie. Awesome.
- Ran through the menus, setup all the configuration stuff (6ohm speakers, 7.1 via wides, etc).

Everything was good but this is where it starts to go downhill.

- Plugged in the Audyssey mic to run setup. Psh psh psh. It does it's thing.
- Gives me "error". It measured Left Wide, Front Left, Center, Right Wide speakers only. No Right, or either surrounds.
- Thought it was odd. I exit the Audyssey program to check my connections. No more sound comes out of the speakers.
- Checked all my connections. Everything is good. No shorts. No stray wires.
- Absolutely no sound now. Not from PS3. Not from tuner. Not from the SPL adjustment option in the menu. Tried Audyssey again. No sound at all from any channel including sub.
- Disconnected all speakers in case I missed something. Tried testing 1 speaker at a time. Nothing.
- Tried unplugging the power. Nothing. Sound passes through receiver from PS3->TV ok when off.

Then it gets worse.

- Found the option to "Factory Reset" via VCR button + Power. Do that. Resets.
- Now the receiver won't turn on at all. I try to turn it on and I get the "Check SP Wire" message for 1/4s before it shuts back off.
- Everything is unplugged (hdmi + speakers). Won't turn on.
- Follow the Onkyo protection circuit directions (unplug for 1 hr). Tried to turn it back on. Nothing. Shuts down right away.
- I press each of the Input selects buttons 1x1, and oddly enough, eventually it turns back on! Turn volume up/down and it doesn’t freak out on me. Awesome right? Turn it off so I can try plugging a speaker back in to test.
- Back to "Check SP Wire" auto shutdown.

Not sure what to do. I have no idea how it went from Sound->No Sound->Won't turn on. Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So I went in today and cut off every bit of audio crap I dont want running, like Dolby Volume/Volume Leveler, etc...

Here is a question, how come under Dolby Digital 5.1 Late Night is OFF by default, and but under TrueHD its Auto by default, and if you turn it off, then power cycle, its back on Auto when you start up? Do I have to go in and turn it from Auto to Off whenever I watch a movie with TrueHD (every time), or is Auto OK?

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock R View Post

Looking for some help on figuring out what to do. My BIL gave me his old receiver (Onkyo 809) and I finally decided to try hooking it up yesterday.

Then it gets worse.

- Found the option to "Factory Reset" via VCR button + Power. Do that. Resets.
- Now the receiver won't turn on at all. I try to turn it on and I get the "Check SP Wire" message for 1/4s before it shuts back off.
- Everything is unplugged (hdmi + speakers). Won't turn on.
- Follow the Onkyo protection circuit directions (unplug for 1 hr). Tried to turn it back on. Nothing. Shuts down right away.
- I press each of the Input selects buttons 1x1, and oddly enough, eventually it turns back on! Turn volume up/down and it doesn’t freak out on me. Awesome right? Turn it off so I can try plugging a speaker back in to test.
- Back to "Check SP Wire" auto shutdown.

Not sure what to do. I have no idea how it went from Sound->No Sound->Won't turn on. Any suggestions?

Hi Stock R, check to if your receiver is one of the recall (click here).
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not even know to check my serial number before I installed it, impossible to see now without pulling everything out. Im not having any power issues, and it came with the July 2012 FW, so Im guessing its newer than the recall units.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

So I went in today and cut off every bit of audio crap I dont want running, like Dolby Volume/Volume Leveler, etc...
Here is a question, how come under Dolby Digital 5.1 Late Night is OFF by default, and but under TrueHD its Auto by default, and if you turn it off, then power cycle, its back on Auto when you start up? Do I have to go in and turn it from Auto to Off whenever I watch a movie with TrueHD (every time), or is Auto OK?

With the exception of a couple discs (notably Iron Man) the flag that sets the TrueHD Late Night mode to "On" from the Auto setting is usually off.
gadgtfreek likes this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I just found that info. Seems odd, then you have DTS Master where nothing shady is on, or Auto.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, I was able to do an inverted hang over my stand with a flashlight and get my serial number LOL, Im good on the recall.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got a good deal on the TX-NR809 and went with it...should get it the next few days....I plan to get the Onkyo extended warranty for additional peace of mind...Let's see how it goes....

Thanks for your input....
Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This completes the "onkyo side" of the previous posts I've made here. I'm still surprised that no one here seems to have a roku in their loop or that if they do, they have not responded with any testing results.

Below in blue are responses from the Onkyo forum moderator

Re: Roku issue with my 809
OnkyoUSA on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 am
We apologize for the tardiness of our response regarding this issue; but after extensive researching- we have discovered this is an issue with Roku and not solely our receivers. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

OnkyoUSA
Admin

Re: Roku issue with my 809
OnkyoUSA on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:01 pm
We have repeatedly contacted their Customer Service department and awaited contact from Roku's Engineering department; but have currently received NO correspondence. We have requested to converse with their Engineering and R & D departments and have not received any response. We are still awaiting a response from Roku regarding this issue.

Forum Moderator

OnkyoUSA
Admin

I want to thank Onkyo for their efforts to date. While I do feel that the time factor was way too long (I started this thread Aug 1st), Onkyo at least I feel, has responded.

I'll also apologize for my lack of patience. I've said some things here/there that I probably should have kept between Onkyo and myself only.

I know there will always be glitches especially in todays times as new tech is brought to market. The Mod for Onkyo forum has a job that I'd last at for about 2 weeks.

If there was one issue that I could present as an opportunity for Onkyo in general, it would be to respond evenly to older and the new issues as they arise just to assure we consumers that Onkyo is "on it".

My other outlets and forums will be notified that from at least the Onkyo perspective, the Roku Issue is indeed a ROKU ISSUE.

With respect and regards,

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )

Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Hi guys,

What does the 'straight decode' setting do?
I can't find anything in the 809 manual.

Will setting to 'straight decode' disable Audyssey?
What setting shoud set for playback of DTS, DTS-MA or THX blu-ray movies?

Thanks smile.gif
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmj1 View Post

Hi guys,
What does the 'straight decode' setting do?
I can't find anything in the 809 manual.
Will setting to 'straight decode' disable Audyssey?
What setting shoud set for playback of DTS, DTS-MA or THX blu-ray movies?
Thanks smile.gif

Straight decode works in conjunction with audyssey and decodes the exact signal flag sent from the blu ray disc. This is the setting I always use. Hope that helps
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM

Hello all, I just received my onkyo 809, arrived in good shape and turned on with no concerns. Hooked everything up so far so good. I really like the onkyo app, it's responsive and works well in the couple hours I've been playing around with it. Still have to run audessay and calibrate the system. I like how you can switch video calibrations modes while watching your source as it makes it easy to see the difference in changes. The sound is very similar to my pioneer 84txsi. Love the looks more though. I'll have two add some audio impressions after its calibrated. So far so good!

Onkyo TX-NR809
Panasonic 54s2
KEF IQ 9
KEF IQ 6c
KEF IQ 3
Polk PSW 505(2)
Oppo BDP 83
OrigenAE HTPC
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvavs View Post

Yes I could use the component out video & optical. In fact that was my connection to my previous Onkyo Integra7 receiver.
I got the 809 to get rid of the extra cables and to use its new upscaling chip. I prefer not to go back to the old setup.

In my experience using Component and toslink/spdif doesn't work well at all with bluray players.

Bluray appears to purposely desynch the audio from the video which is corrected by the HDMI protocol.

If you use component video with the digital audio the audio/video synch will be different on every single bluray that you watch.

It often requires setting the delay in the receiver to correct it each time you watch a movie. It might be the conspiracy theorist in me, but I have a feeling that they do this as a way of preventing people from using component/toslink as a means of piracy protection.

I realized this when I used to send HDMI signals to my LCD TV and then send the audio back to the reciever with the spdif. It worked great on everything until I got my first bluray player. After that audio was always wrong on the blurays. I then switched the config to let the AVR do the HDMI switching and the problem was solved.

It is a big reason that it is now practically required to have the AVR do the HDMI swithing. My Onkyo 601 is basically obsolete for any function other than being a secondary amplifier because of its lack of HDMI inputs. My Onkyo 804 doesn't have enough HDMI inputs (or support 3d) which is basically why I own an 809 in my theater room now. frown.gif

-Rich

Onkyo TX-NR929 as a Pre-Processor Running Audyssey DSX 11.2
Adcom GFA-7500 150W/ch (WL/L/C/R/WR), Adcom GFA-7607 100W/ch (FHL/FHR/SR/SBR/SBL/SL)
Home Theater Direct Level 3 Tower L/R, Center (Older Dome Tweeter Versions), Dual 12" Subs
Home Theater Direct Level 2 Tower WL/WR, Bookshelf SBL/SBR, Angled In Ceiling SL/SR
Acer H9500BD / Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Screen.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 11
Is there a way to selectively disable certain speaker modes. I really only use 2 ch stereo and dolby plIX movie and I find it annoying to toggle through all the various modes to switch between these 2. Doable?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

So after a couple days of playing around and setting up the full Audyssey calibration I have to say i am very satisfied with the Onkyo. Two main areas of improvement have been in the expansion of the sound stage and improvement in Bass response.
I've listened to a lot of my favorites which I've heard over a few dozen times; Eagles, Adele, Metallica, Megadeth, John Mayer and a few movies that I've watched a number of times. (yes I have a pretty diverse listening taste)
Bass is now anchored a lot more to the front of the room and there is less bloat, bass just hits and stops. Solid, more accurate and a bit deeper; I especially notice sitting at my computer 15 ft away in a corner of the open side of the living room; before it sounded like I had another sub behind my desk and it was very boomy, now I can hear it more clearly coming from my living room and sounds more like an instrument. Watching some concert BluRays the instruments sound more like they are on a stage rather than all being played right in front of you, there is a depth to the sound I guess where before even though it was detailed it always sounded a bit more in your face once you turned it up.
I also noticed a tad more detail in the mid-range and higher notes, just a touch more detail in acoustic guitars making them sound that much more real. Just bumped up every sound another notch immersing my in the music or movie. Voices a more clear especially at lower volumes and watching TV/Movies.
I did a couple changes after setting up Audyssey and that was to change the speaker settings to 80hz and that made a difference in bass perception as well, with Audyssey it set my fronts crossover to 40hz center to 60hz and surrounds to 60hz and it created too much midrange and seemed to lean out the bass. After I changed it bass jumped and the soundstage just seemed more to my liking. I did bump up my sub settings at the receiver +3db. after that as well but I definitely noticed a difference just by changing the crossover settings.
I'm still playing around the Audyssey volume/dolby volume and so far I like what they do especially at night; much better WAF.

The net remote hasn't crashed on my so far and it's fantastic; don't like the slider volume control but it works and everything is very responsive and the receiver reacts instantaneously to each command. Glad I never dropped the cash on an RF remote now!

I'm sure I'll come up with a few things that I will find I wish it would do down the road (don't we all?) but so far this has been a great deal considering 5 years ago I paid 1800.00 for my Pioneer 84txsi. We'll see how the reliability plays out, my Pioneer is still going strong so I won't be happy with anything less than at least another 4-6 years for this to last, knock on wood but I've never had any electionics fail on my besides a bulb in an older Sony projection TV so that streak needs to stay alive! lol.

Overall very satisfied!

Onkyo TX-NR809
Panasonic 54s2
KEF IQ 9
KEF IQ 6c
KEF IQ 3
Polk PSW 505(2)
Oppo BDP 83
OrigenAE HTPC
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post

Is there a way to selectively disable certain speaker modes. I really only use 2 ch stereo and dolby plIX movie and I find it annoying to toggle through all the various modes to switch between these 2. Doable?

Very doable if you have an IOS device.

ORemote App allows you to select the Listening Mode directly from a Picker Wheel. And the Setup screens let you deselect the ones you don't like to reduce the options in the Picker Wheel.

And if you change your mid, the others are still available in the Categorised Movies, Music Games THX buttons.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM

To respond to Cujo above, I too am very satisfied with my 809 and I've owned it for more than a year now. Zero defects. I think the word you may be looking for to describe the Onkyo's improved sound is simple "more musical" at least that's my adjective. My biggest problem is it is a complex enough set up that I get lost in the menus sometimes.

I also use a wireless dongle for the internet connection and when I changed wireless routers I ended up doing a full reset once to clear the old internet memory out of cache.

So since my last reset I somehow lost the setting that brings the Onkyo on in the last source mode in was in when shut off. I listen to Pandora a lot during the week and would like to get this setting back. It only takes a few clicks to get there.. but, ..rolleyes.gif I'm being lazy and I swear I used to have this feature.

Any clues. I have poured over the user manual Advanced Instructions etc and still no joy. (believer in RTFM but it isn't getting me there this time.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS I know there is an 818 out now.. but this Onkyo is keeping me smiling!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1949 View Post

To respond to Cujo above, I too am very satisfied with my 809 and I've owned it for more than a year now. Zero defects. I think the word you may be looking for to describe the Onkyo's improved sound is simple "more musical" at least that's my adjective. My biggest problem is it is a complex enough set up that I get lost in the menus sometimes.
I also use a wireless dongle for the internet connection and when I changed wireless routers I ended up doing a full reset once to clear the old internet memory out of cache.
So since my last reset I somehow lost the setting that brings the Onkyo on in the last source mode in was in when shut off. I listen to Pandora a lot during the week and would like to get this setting back. It only takes a few clicks to get there.. but, ..rolleyes.gif I'm being lazy and I swear I used to have this feature.
Any clues. I have poured over the user manual Advanced Instructions etc and still no joy. (believer in RTFM but it isn't getting me there this time.)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
PS I know there is an 818 out now.. but this Onkyo is keeping me smiling!

I am not aware of a setting that ensures the AVR uses the same Source Input on resuming from Standby.

It just does it.

A couple of ideas - can you select Static IP Address for the AVR - to see if the networking can be speeded up? It might then be able to get to Pandora and start it before timing out.

Or rule out the wireless aspect all together, and wire it to the router temporarily.

I may have misunderstood your question though - does it do the same if BR or non-Net Source input is selected? If it reverts to the same input, did you turn off the HDMI control?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo74 View Post

I just ordered mine off amazon too. Thought it was a great deal. Im coming from a Pioneer 84txsi, looking forward to checking out audessay and a networked receiver with the I control app.

You will Audessay and the POWER smile.gif
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

did you turn off the HDMI control?

I may have turned off the HDMI control, not sure, I'll go check.

yeah, it used to power up in the "source mode" of whatever it was powered off from. So if I was listening to Pandora, it would power up to the NET source. But somehow I seemed to have lost that setting.

As it stands now, it comes on every time to the DVR source

Thanks for the reply.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808