Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg74 View Post

which app are you talking about? There at a few.

App developed by Onkyo for Android. Can be found in the Android Market Place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post

App developed by Onkyo for Android. Can be found in the Android Market Place.

oh ok thanks. I have the iPhone so that's why I was asking. thank you.
post #543 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg74 View Post

oh ok thanks. I have the iPhone so that's why I was asking. thank you.

There may be an iphone version, dunno... If you find one, please let me know since my wife uses the devil's phone... um I mean the iphone...
post #544 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

There may be an iphone version, dunno... If you find one, please let me know since my wife uses the devil's phone... um I mean the iphone...

The one I use for the "devil's phone" is called O remote. it's $4.99 I believe.
post #545 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Onkyo has hade an official iPhone app available for quite a while now. You'll find it if you search for Onkyo on the app store.
post #546 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Hmm, I did a search for Onkyo through the App Store's web interface and found nothing.

UPDATE: Found it... Thanks...
post #547 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Is there no "app" you can run from a Windows environment?
post #548 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankenn View Post

Here is one: http://blog.krautsourced.com/?page_id=284
Can't comment as to how good it is as I haven't used it yet.
post #549 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Really interested in this Amp. Can someone answer this question;

My TV only has component in so for blu-ray I want to hook it up through the amp using the component in/out however I want the audio via HDMI so I can get the full uncompressed Master HD audio. Is the possible?

Mark.
post #550 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

Really interested in this Amp. Can someone answer this question;

My TV only has component in so for blu-ray I want to hook it up through the amp using the component in/out however I want the audio via HDMI so I can get the full uncompressed Master HD audio. Is the possible?

Mark.

You would have to read your instructions, but my BD player allows simultaneous use of HDMI and component output. Route video to monitor via component. Route audio to receiver via HDMI.
post #551 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankenn View Post

doesnt this receiver have a pretty robust web interface?
post #552 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Not sure, but I see the iPhone/Android apps allow for the creation of a single click button direct to a certain mode instead of scrolling with the remote, and I'd love to be able to setup my laptop/PC and touchscreens to handle this, all which are XP environments. I have a BB, so no phone app for me.
post #553 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Received my replacement 809 today after spending 6 hour re-engineering my new $850 plasma entertainment center to fit this beast the center channel works on this one.Only different thing about this one is I got the printed manual instead of the cd and had the sticker across the front which I prefer.
Will be putting it through everything this weekend.
post #554 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"doesnt this receiver have a pretty robust web interface?"

No the windows web interface from what I can tell allows you to do nothing but manually set internet radio channels or something. It's so generic actually I've never even went back into it.

The app posted top of this page is what I been using it it's priceless. You can custom buttons to anything making every function easier than using the remote. I use 100% HTPC so it's the ultimate control I say. Could be better looking or layout wise but whatever it works, and works well.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #555 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Received my replacement 809 today after spending 6 hour re-engineering my new $850 plasma entertainment center to fit this beast the center channel works on this one.Only different thing about this one is I got the printed manual instead of the cd and had the sticker across the front which I prefer.
Will be putting it through everything this weekend.

Glad to hear everything is working. You just had bad luck with your original one.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #556 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does this NR809 have screen overlay via HDMI, ie when adjusting the volume does it appear on the tv screen?

Is anybody running this receiver with Paradigm 40's or 20's? I have a pair of Paradigm 40's just curious of the sound , Im looking for a warm sound, not bright.

How is the bass output, can it shake the walls? I have a Def Tech 10" sub right now.

BTW, my current receiver is a 9 yr old Yamaha, no hdmi, just opticals.

Thanks for any replies...

post #557 of 6125 Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM

Yes it has a full on screen display. I like the menu system.

I have the 809 hooked up to a HSU VTF2 mk3 subwoofer, and the bass is extremely satisfying. Dunno if that has anything to do with the receiver though, as its a nice sub.
post #558 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder71 View Post

I'm looking at an iomega external drive that has a Built-in UPnP DLNA AV Media Server. I'm assuming since the 809 is DLNA compatible I'll be able to stream content from it directly. Anybody know if that is true?

I'm using an Iomega Home Media NAS. It works fine streaming MP3s to the 809. Can't speak for other types of content.
post #559 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
I missed the newegg $699 deal again. Dose anyone know what time this deal ends on Saturdays? Do I need to get up at 6am on Saturdays?
post #560 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I checked at 7am today but they are still sold out from last weekends deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
I missed the newegg $699 deal again. Dose anyone know what time this deal ends on Saturdays? Do I need to get up at 6am on Saturdays?
post #561 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 AM

From what I saw, the newegg deal starts at 12:01 midnight on friday night usually. I believe thats Pacific time. I've seen it sell out fairly quickly after midnight. So I wouldn't count on it being there by morning. Best bet to to check right after midnight every friday, and grab it when you see it at that price and in stock. I got mine on Amazon for $699 but haven't seen it back to that price there yet.
post #562 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM

I called JR.com and they matched the $699.00 with no tax and free shipping. Only problem is they are out of stock and don't know when it will be available. I spoke with Alex. I am in no hurry so the out of stock is not a problem for me.
post #563 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
I called JR.com and they matched the $699.00 with no tax and free shipping. Only problem is they are out of stock and don't know when it will be available. I spoke with Alex. I am in no hurry so the out of stock is not a problem for me.
He matched to newegg or someone else? Newegg shows sold out. I am in the same boat as you in that I do not need it right away but want to make sure I know what I am talking about when I call.
post #564 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 03:54 PM

He looked online and saw that it was sold out and that it was $699 with free shipping and matched it. Gave my credit card number and he said it wount be charged until it ships.
post #565 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 PM

I have now replaced the TX-SR876 with the TX-NR809. I am a bit disappointed with the SD content up-scaling compared to the old one. Basically, SD content looked great with the 876, but with the 809 I am seeing artifacts and interlacing issues. I have DirecTV, and have most channels in both HD and SD. I normally record in SD for space reasons. I was watching some recorded material today and noticed lines around certain areas, like mouths for people speaking and blinking eyes. I thought this receiver was supposed to have a better up-scaling chip versus the 876? Am I doing something wrong... it very could well be me not having something configured properly. I did do the update last night so I should have the latest firmware now. Currently, I have the HDMI output set to automatic and I hit display for some content and it was coming in at 480i and coming out 1080p as far as I can tell.
post #566 of 6125 Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlenoir View Post

I thought this receiver was supposed to have a better up-scaling chip versus the 876? Am I doing something wrong... it very could well be me not having something configured properly.

You like me probably need to do some digging around in the menu and manual. This unit has the latest stuff and it should not be eclipsed by an older unit. Having said that, a lot of times your display does a better job of upscaling/converting signals as it knows what it likes to display. Make sure that is not the case here. It takes work, trust me. I have a new 1080P PJ in addition to my DLP TV and along with testing out the PJ with the AVR, I found I had a blown R/F speaker so I am running behind on my shakedown runs of my new PJ and AVR. I simply ordered new speakers so I should be stress testing the Onkyo here again soon. (Yeah I posted my x-over board was toast and it was. Polk sent out another one and I discovered the tweeter was also fried. Should have tested that back then)
post #567 of 6125 Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
OK, I have seen a trend concerning the video processing capabilities of this receiver. Here are my thoughts and feel free to corect me:

1. This AVR has the ability to upscale to a resolution not supported by any display owned by anyone here currently if I am not mistaken.

2. There is little to no need to do any upscaling in the AVR for viewing on today's displays because they have their own processors for that and anything exceeding that results in problems. (Read, do any upscaling on the display when you can)

3. ISF calibration, while handy, seems to only be useful for displays that have poor CMS adjustments on their own. If that is the case, giddyup and get the proper calibration tools.

4. Use the through setting whenever you can because your display knows what it likes and what it can do. Adjust settings in the display because you can potentially adjust settings in the AVR that your display does not like and displays poorly. Then you will be here saying the processor in the AVR is substandard when it probably is not.

5. Projector owners, you know the deal here. Either your unit has a good video processor or it does not. That is where you may need to play around a bit. Most BD players will upscale or play what you need for a good picture.

6. Finally, for me anyways, I believe any display calibration belongs within the display itself. While the 809 touts quite the video calibration and upscaling capabilities, I feel you are better served using your display's menu. Most times anything your display cannot upscale, it will not display correctly either as it will attempt to downscale or display errors such as stuttering or artifacts. Bottom line, use your display and skip the AVR upscaling for most sources.
Photokid1970 likes this.
post #568 of 6125 Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

OK, I have seen a trend concerning the video processing capabilities of this receiver. Here are my thoughts and feel free to corect me:

1. This AVR has the ability to upscale to a resolution not supported by any display owned by anyone here currently if I am not mistaken.

2. There is little to no need to do any upscaling in the AVR for viewing on today's displays because they have their own processors for that and anything exceeding that results in problems. (Read, do any upscaling on the display when you can)

3. ISF calibration, while handy, seems to only be useful for displays that have poor CMS adjustments on their own. If that is the case, giddyup and get the proper calibration tools.

4. Use the through setting whenever you can because your display knows what it likes and what it can do. Adjust settings in the display because you can potentially adjust settings in the AVR that your display does not like and displays poorly. Then you will be here saying the processor in the AVR is substandard when it probably is not.

5. Projector owners, you know the deal here. Either your unit has a good video processor or it does not. That is where you may need to play around a bit. Most BD players will upscale or play what you need for a good picture.

6. Finally, for me anyways, I believe any display calibration belongs within the display itself. While the 809 touts quite the video calibration and upscaling capabilities, I feel you are better served using your display's menu. Most times anything your display cannot upscale, it will not display correctly either as it will attempt to downscale or display errors such as stuttering or artifacts. Bottom line, use your display and skip the AVR upscaling for most sources.

1. you are correct, 4k upscaling does seem pointless today, but 4k tv's will be available on a mass scale within the next 5 years. not having to upgrade your receiver every other year is a bonus. there are also those that dont use a traditional display (by this I mean that some use displays designed more for computer use which allow for much higher resolutions. this being the case, if they enabled the 4k upscaling they would be able to display the higher resolutions that their monitors can handle). I think having 4k upscaling is very forward thinking on the part of the AVR engineers. I see the prices of beefy feature rich AVR's dropping every year so maybe its not as big a deal as it once was to upgrade on a biannual basis (or whatever time frame), but not having to is a nice benefit.

2. I wouldnt say that most display devices have better upscaling than some AVR's (for example the AVR's using the marvell chip). not to mention that the more upscaling or processing your display does the more lag you introduce. this may not be a big deal to everyone, but gamers, for example, would certainly care. I know sets have a "game mode"...but all this does is disable most processing. if your games are upscaled in the receiver, your "game mode" suddenly looks much better and you can display at whatever resolution you want.

4. if by the through feature you mean passthrough while the receiver is "off", im in total disagreement with you. passthrough leaves you using the display's speakers. I think everyone can agree that display audio is severely lacking at best. I really dont see a practical use for a passthrough feature. is it for 3d? is it for volume more uniform volume for night viewing? I think most of this is addressed by the AVR quite handily. I could be absolutely incorrect though. as I said, I really dont understand the practical uses for a passthrough feature.

6. see #2.
post #569 of 6125 Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello all - can someone confirm that the front panel display can be turned off completely, and not just dimmed? The manual entry below couldn't be more cryptic.....TIA

Press RECEIVER followed by DIMMER
repeatedly to select:
Normal + MASTER VOLUME indicator lights.
Normal + MASTER VOLUME indicator goes off.
Dim + MASTER VOLUME indicator goes off.
Dimmer + MASTER VOLUME indicator goes off.
post #570 of 6125 Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Ok, reading the last couple of responses, I am bit confused on whether I should or should not use the upscaler in the AVR versus my television. I have the following hardware. Maybe it would be easier just to seek advice on how to tune each input for my hardware.

ONKYO TX-NR809 (obviously)
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
PS3 (Original 60gb model - LPCM)
X360 (Normal Color - DD5.1)
DIRECTV HR-21 (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p enabled - DD5.1)
Wii (Component)

If the actual inputs I am using are important I will provide those. However, I am mostly looking for two things here (if you are willing to assist) per input.

1) Video: Upscale with 809 or Through? If 809, then Automatic?

2) Audio: Recommended listening mode for each (for general use) for my 5.1 configuration? For example, with my HR-21, it defaults to All Ch Stereo, which sounds fine, but when I hit display on my AVR, it shows the sound is 5.1.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page