"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 199 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5941 of 6128 Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received an email from Jose authorizing an out of warranty repair. Thank you Jose and Onkyo! I wish the problem never happened in the first place, but I'm very happy to work with a company with great support. I'll continue being an Onkyo fan for a long time.

Now to box this beast up... Hope I remember where all those wires go when it comes back, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6128 Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I received an email from Jose authorizing an out of warranty repair. Thank you Jose and Onkyo! I wish the problem never happened in the first place, but I'm very happy to work with a company with great support. I'll continue being an Onkyo fan for a long time.

Now to box this beast up... Hope I remember where all those wires go when it comes back, haha.

Great !! I see Jose is back on top of his game !! Good luck with the whole ordeal !!

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #5943 of 6128 Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hmmmm 3 days later and I haven't received a word from anyone. Glad you had success though.....
post #5944 of 6128 Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Send an email to Jose again direct. Make sure you check your spam box as well just in case it ends up in there. Most companies will tell you they will respond and or reply up to 3-bussines days and that doesn't include weekends etc.
Good Luck and keep trying.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #5945 of 6128 Old 06-11-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

Send an email to Jose again direct. Make sure you check your spam box as well just in case it ends up in there. Most companies will tell you they will respond and or reply up to 3-bussines days and that doesn't include weekends etc.
Good Luck and keep trying.

Well I never heard a peep from anyone at Onkyo but received a service request from the repair place near me to drop it off. So I guess it's in motion....
old corps likes this.
post #5946 of 6128 Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Snip

Take a photo of the back. Be sure to tag the wires. Or just label using a Sharpie like #1 , #2 , and so on.

Good luck,

Keith

Sharp 70" LCD LED
AVR Onkyo TX NR809 (5.2)
Front Speakerlab SD-1000
Center Polk Audio
Surround Bose Bi-Fold
Subs Polk Audio PSW505 X2
post #5947 of 6128 Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 809 acted up last night and wouldn't produce any sound for about 10 minutes.

Then I heard a relay click and it worked fine for the rest of the night.

Tonight it just won't click and work.

Add me to the list. Man it is like there is a timebomb on these things. We can't possibly all have the same amount of use on these to all fail within weeks of each other can we?

Last edited by rfb6435; 06-12-2014 at 10:37 PM.
post #5948 of 6128 Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post

Add me to the list. Man it is like there is a timebomb on these things. We can't possibly all have the same amount of use on these to all fail within weeks of each other can we?

Crazy isn't it? I had 0 problems with mine for almost 3 years then it just stopped. I already dropped it off for repair....will be about a week or two for some reason. I guess it'll save me some $$$ from upgrading for now.
post #5949 of 6128 Old 06-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname123 View Post
Quote:

Crazy isn't it? I had 0 problems with mine for almost 3 years then it just stopped. I already dropped it off for repair....will be about a week or two for some reason. I guess it'll save me some $$$ from upgrading for now.
Yep,
It's really sad to go thru this issue with a A/V receiver. Every time turn mine on I wonder is it going to work or not being that it has played without any issue since day-1.
Did yours break upon turning it on or while on ?
post #5950 of 6128 Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 AM

I'm pretty sure it happened when it turned on.
post #5951 of 6128 Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname123 View Post
Quote:

Yep,
It's really sad to go thru this issue with a A/V receiver. Every time turn mine on I wonder is it going to work or not being that it has played without any issue since day-1.
Did yours break upon turning it on or while on ?

We are dealing with a live grenade here, Onkyo pulled the pin.
DonaldFagen likes this.
post #5952 of 6128 Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Had the exact same problem last Wednesday. Tuesday it was working, but the next day I had no audio. Tried everything from different HDMI inputs to resetting the whole unit. Nothing. Contacted Onkyo that day, but like thisismyname123, I haven't heard anything from them. Nor anything from any service shops. Gonna contact Jose at the email that's been posted. Had the thing for just over 2 years. I sort of questioned the HDMI board though since i had it, as I had strange audio popping from the TV while the unit was on unless the TV was muted.
First my Mitsubishi 73833 HDMI board died, now my Onkyo HDMI board. Starting to hate HDMI!

On a side note... My old Sony DA3ES works great (pulled it out of storage, and glad I kept it! Game of Thrones would have sucked with TV speakers!), just lacks HDMI and 7.1

UPDATE 6/18/2014

Heard back from Jose this morning and was approved for repair! That was swift! He said it takes about 24~48 hours for them to get the approval, which works since I won't have time for the drive required until Friday at best. Clearly (as many have stated) Jose is the guy to contact!

Last edited by Zapix; 06-18-2014 at 11:56 AM.
post #5953 of 6128 Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapix View Post
UPDATE 6/18/2014

Heard back from Jose this morning and was approved for repair! That was swift! He said it takes about 24~48 hours for them to get the approval, which works since I won't have time for the drive required until Friday at best. Clearly (as many have stated) Jose is the guy to contact!
Poor Jose! He's probably sick and tired of answering emails, "Hey, My 809 is tore up too!! Will you please fix it?" LOL
post #5954 of 6128 Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 AM

Add another to the list of HDMI fails... I'll have to contact Jose and see what he can do for me also.
post #5955 of 6128 Old 06-19-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
what am i doing wrong? my 809 is over 2 1/2 years old and no hdmi failure's yet. someone please help!
DonaldFagen likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why you wouldn't want to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum
post #5956 of 6128 Old 06-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
what am i doing wrong? my 809 is over 2 1/2 years old and no hdmi failure's yet. someone please help!
Give it about 3-4 months...should be dead by then
post #5957 of 6128 Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
LOL...
I keep asking myself the same thing. If it's going to break I want it to be now, so I can get it repaired and not have to keep worrying about it !!
I have Jose's email, I have the receipt and serial number ready !!
Mine has worked since day one with no issues thus far. I play it mostly on the weekends and that's it. I keep a fan on at all times whether it's on or not and I do not listen at reference !!
post #5958 of 6128 Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What? Me worry?

imo, Onkyo knows that there are issues with some hdmi boards.

They also know that they will stay in business by helping those with failing units rather than orphaning them. On this thread alone, not one person has not been able to get their unit repaired. Many of these AFTER the warranty period has expired!

I've been lucky so far. My 809 has been in constant service since I bought it. My guess is that it has accrued several thousand hours of driving 7 channels.

If it craps out and it could, I'll be on the email list with Jose and hope for the best. To me , it seems as if Onkyo is fixing the issues on a case by case basis.

How long will they support a now 3+ year old product? For the HDMI failure, I believe that a company with Onkyo's reputation.... for another good while.

In the meantime.... if mine does fail, I've a backup that can be swapped. Heck, don't we all?

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )

post #5959 of 6128 Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
imo, Onkyo knows that there are issues with some hdmi boards.

They also know that they will stay in business by helping those with failing units rather than orphaning them. On this thread alone, not one person has not been able to get their unit repaired. Many of these AFTER the warranty period has expired!

I've been lucky so far. My 809 has been in constant service since I bought it. My guess is that it has accrued several thousand hours of driving 7 channels.

If it craps out and it could, I'll be on the email list with Jose and hope for the best. To me , it seems as if Onkyo is fixing the issues on a case by case basis.

How long will they support a now 3+ year old product? For the HDMI failure, I believe that a company with Onkyo's reputation.... for another good while.

In the meantime.... if mine does fail, I've a backup that can be swapped. Heck, don't we all?

Doug k
Just got the call that my 809 is repaired and ready for pick up. They said a few things were replaced and firmware upgraded (must have reset back to original??)

Luckily its right down the road from me so I should be back up and running tonight!
post #5960 of 6128 Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Doug k
My 809 is my first and so far only AV receiver. Piles of amps, speakers, CD players, etc but the first receiver of any kind since I graduated in '78. Graduated both from college and the low-fi world of cheap stereo receivers.
post #5961 of 6128 Old 06-20-2014, 05:03 PM

I received an email from Jose today stating that Onkyo OKed the out of warranty repairs of my 809. A little while later I received another email from the repair company with the authorization numbers to bring it in.
Pretty good service
post #5962 of 6128 Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, add me to the list of people whose NR-80 has failed TWICE, yes that's right it has failed twice. Not more than 10 days ago I got the unit back after a replacement HDMI board repair was made, and wouldn't you know it today it started doing the same damn thing it did the first time it failed.

I will paste my 2nd email to Jose below as I am too HOT to type out more here at this time.

Well, I have had my repaired (Proved to be a bad HDMI Board) NR-809 back in my possession for a little over 10 days and it has failed again. It is not allowing anything through HDMI, even the 2nd HDMI Out has failed, during the last failure that worked as a standby until I got authorization from you to have the unit repaired. When switching between HDMI sources I cannot hear the customary Clicking. Mind you I am using this AVR exactly as it is intended, only have a cable box, and a PS3 hooked up to it using it maybe an hour or 2 a day.

Upon getting the unit back from Pinnacle Service Solutions I made some alterations to the shelve that holds the AVR, as well I added a panel of 4 (80mm) Thermal Controlled Fans that sit on the back top of the AVR, extracting heat from the HDMI board area. I was told heat wasn't a cause for the HDMI board failure but wanted to take every precaution I could.

Coincidentally enough just the other day, though everything was fine with the AVR at that time I decided to purchase the Onkyo Extended Warranty fearing exactly what has occurred today.

I know you have mentioned I am still within my factory warranty and that you will make every effort to get the unit fixed whenever I have a problem with it, but this is getting ridiculous. Now I have to take more time off from work, drive 2 hours round trip to Haverhill MA to Pinnacle Service Solutions, wasting time and gas to get what is assuredly a faulty designed, poorly manufactured lemon of a product fixed for the second time. I was initially very happy how quickly and professionally Onkyo handled my units initial failure but I have lost all faith in any future repairs made to this unit. I think we need to seriously discuss Onkyo providing an upgraded unit to me as a good faith gesture, why should I accept another fix when the fix has proven not to correct the issue for more than 10 days.

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks.
post #5963 of 6128 Old 06-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Well, add me to the list of people whose NR-80 has failed TWICE, yes that's right it has failed twice. Not more than 10 days ago I got the unit back after a replacement HDMI board repair was made, and wouldn't you know it today it started doing the same damn thing it did the first time it failed.

I will paste my 2nd email to Jose below as I am too HOT to type out more here at this time.

Well, I have had my repaired (Proved to be a bad HDMI Board) NR-809 back in my possession for a little over 10 days and it has failed again. It is not allowing anything through HDMI, even the 2nd HDMI Out has failed, during the last failure that worked as a standby until I got authorization from you to have the unit repaired. When switching between HDMI sources I cannot hear the customary Clicking. Mind you I am using this AVR exactly as it is intended, only have a cable box, and a PS3 hooked up to it using it maybe an hour or 2 a day.

Upon getting the unit back from Pinnacle Service Solutions I made some alterations to the shelve that holds the AVR, as well I added a panel of 4 (80mm) Thermal Controlled Fans that sit on the back top of the AVR, extracting heat from the HDMI board area. I was told heat wasn't a cause for the HDMI board failure but wanted to take every precaution I could.

Coincidentally enough just the other day, though everything was fine with the AVR at that time I decided to purchase the Onkyo Extended Warranty fearing exactly what has occurred today.

I know you have mentioned I am still within my factory warranty and that you will make every effort to get the unit fixed whenever I have a problem with it, but this is getting ridiculous. Now I have to take more time off from work, drive 2 hours round trip to Haverhill MA to Pinnacle Service Solutions, wasting time and gas to get what is assuredly a faulty designed, poorly manufactured lemon of a product fixed for the second time. I was initially very happy how quickly and professionally Onkyo handled my units initial failure but I have lost all faith in any future repairs made to this unit. I think we need to seriously discuss Onkyo providing an upgraded unit to me as a good faith gesture, why should I accept another fix when the fix has proven not to correct the issue for more than 10 days.

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks.
A possibility exists in the world that your issue has more to do with the lack of skill in diagnosing/repairing from the service center as it does being a "faulty designed, poorly manufactured lemon". But then again, maybe the issue is 100% Onkyo's. I try to look twice before I throw the stone.
post #5964 of 6128 Old 06-21-2014, 07:35 PM

You could be right and I have no evidence that the Repair facility is good or bad at what they do all I know is that they are contracted by Onkyo to conduct warranty repair work and that is where I was sent.

I would hope there is some type of vetting process Onkyo does to ensure the facilities they use to conduct repairs are qualified to make such repairs. Additionally the unit did work for 10 days so it would appear they were competent enough to install a new HDMI board and have it working upon sending it out the door.

Even if it improbably turns out that this latest and no doubt not the last failure was the repairers fault that too allows me to innocuously throw stones on an internet forum about a company and flawed item they sell, if there selecting a sub par repair company that too sullies there name, at least in my world it does.

I too try to look twice before throwing stones yet this glass house Onkyo calls a NR-809 which has a very well known, documented issue, an issue I am assuredly having for a second time, gives me all the right to question Onkyo.

Perhaps I am taking your post all wrong and I'll apologize now if I am but the bigger question is why you have a seemingly Pro-Onkyo sentiment in your reply? Will you have that same smug attitude in your subsequent posts when your repaired unit fails again? I too was all Rah-Rah -Rah Onkyo Rules -Rules -Rules when they fixed my unit under warranty, which when you think about it was the only thing for them to do as it was under warranty, yet now sitting here with a Big Broken Black Box decorating my entertainment stand my cheerleader enthusiasm for Onkyo has been dampened a bit.

Updates to follow.
post #5965 of 6128 Old 06-21-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Looks like the HDMI output 2 is dead on my 809.
Not sure if this is the dreaded HDMI issue talked about.
Please help..
post #5966 of 6128 Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Looks like the HDMI output 2 is dead on my 809.
Not sure if this is the dreaded HDMI issue talked about.
Please help..
It may be, are you saying HDMI out #1 is working correctly?

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable from the HDMI Out #2 to your display to see if that cures the problem? Have you checked and re-checked all of your connections? What if any trouble shooting have you done?

When switching between HDMI sources is the switching time becoming more delayed? I have heard/read that this may be an indication of the HDMI board failing however only a authorizied and "Competent" repair facility will be able to assist you with determining what exactly is wrong with your 809.

Contact Jose Torres at Onkyo ( jose.torres@us.onkyo.com) he seems very quick to assist people with the problems they are expereincing with their 809's. You'll need your 809's Serial Number as well as a Copy of your Reciept for him to assist you, I myself am awaiting a reply for him to get a 2nd repair authorizied, well actually am awaiting to talk with him to discuss my options.

Good Luck.
post #5967 of 6128 Old 06-22-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It may be, are you saying HDMI out #1 is working correctly?
Yes.

Quote:
Have you tried using a different HDMI cable from the HDMI Out #2 to your display to see if that cures the problem? Have you checked and re-checked all of your connections? What if any trouble shooting have you done?
I have 2 projectors connected to each output. I have isolated by trying to use one HDMI cable and switching it between Out 1 and Out 2 and have confirmed that only "Main" output works.

Quote:
Contact Jose Torres at Onkyo ( jose.torres@us.onkyo.com) he seems very quick to assist people with the problems they are expereincing with their 809's. You'll need your 809's Serial Number as well as a Copy of your Reciept for him to assist you, I myself am awaiting a reply for him to get a 2nd repair authorizied, well actually am awaiting to talk with him to discuss my options.

Good Luck.
Yes. I have sent him an email. Thank you for the details.
post #5968 of 6128 Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes.

I have 2 projectors connected to each output. I have isolated by trying to use one HDMI cable and switching it between Out 1 and Out 2 and have confirmed that only "Main" output works.

Yes. I have sent him an email. Thank you for the details.
to a hard reset first see if that fixes it.
post #5969 of 6128 Old 06-22-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
to a hard reset first see if that fixes it.

Is this the one "Factory Reset" as mentioned on Page 79 of the manual (Press On/Standby when keeping pressed VCR/DVR) ?
post #5970 of 6128 Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is this the one "Factory Reset" as mentioned on Page 79 of the manual (Press On/Standby when keeping pressed VCR/DVR) ?

I do that then unplug it for 15 min then plug back in and do another reset.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page