AVS Forum banner
861K views 7K replies 819 participants last post by  caryt 
#1 ·
In anticipation of receiving my Onkyo TX-NR809 tomorrow, I thought it was time to get a new Thread going.

#27 ·
The sound is much fuller and has greater detail. I was listening to the McCartney album from HDtracks and I did a side by side comparison hooking both receivers to the speakers. The 809 has a stronger midrange and much more details. There were subtleties in the playback that where not there in the 608. I listen to both music and movies. During movie, the center speaker sounds clearer. The surround is good with both receivers but I like the 809 reproduction better. Of course, this is all subjective like I said in my earlier post. I do not part easily with my money. I purchased this receiver because Newegg had such a good deal. I saw this price before on the 808 but that was when the receiver was being discontinued. I never imagined I would see this kind of discounts at introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty /forum/post/20620871

Please elaborate on the sound improvement over the 608! Music? Movies? Both? I am about to move from a 608 to what I hope will be the 809? I went from an 804 to a 608 for cost reasons and when listening to movies and music loud, I swear the 608 is quite a bit inferior. By loud I mean sustained levels of around 90 db according to my rat-shack meter.

Greg

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde /forum/post/0

I got this receiver a couple of days ago. I purchased it from NewEgg for $699. I have a Pair of Aeprion 6T, 6C and 4Bs to go with it. I replaced an Onkyo 608 with this unit. I do not profess to be a super audiophile but this is one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have ever owned. The difference between the 809 and 608 are dramatic. Their is a richness to the sound that the cheaper receiver can not match. I do not know if it is real or my mind is playing tricks on me so that I can justify purchasing another receiver less than a year after the 608 but, it does not matter. It sounds great to me.

Are sure? $699 for the 809??? That seems to me to be an extraordinary deal for a product that has been out for only a few weeks. Can you confirm that this is correct?

Art

#31 ·
Well I missed the boat on this one. Read about the $699 sale well after the fact and can't find anyone selling even close to this price. I'm praying that Newegg will have another sale sometime soon, or if someone knows of a source for one near this price please let me know.

#32 ·
I jumped at the $699 Newegg deal and got my 809 a few days ago. It replaced an aging VSX-D912 so I'm loving all the "new features."

I can't fully describe how much I love the fact that I can listen to everything on my NAS without powering up something else. Has anyone else played with the DLNA? All the artists show as "unknown."

Excellent receiver though, finally doing my Aperions some justice!

Jim

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde /forum/post/0

I got this receiver a couple of days ago. I purchased it from NewEgg for $699. I have a Pair of Aeprion 6T, 6C and 4Bs to go with it. I replaced an Onkyo 608 with this unit. I do not profess to be a super audiophile but this is one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have ever owned. The difference between the 809 and 608 are dramatic. Their is a richness to the sound that the cheaper receiver can not match. I do not know if it is real or my mind is playing tricks on me so that I can justify purchasing another receiver less than a year after the 608 but, it does not matter. It sounds great to me.

Are you sure you paid $699 for the TX-NR809? That would be one heck of a discount off the current price of $975. How did you get such a low price? Refurbished or Open Box?

#38 ·
I have some questions for Onkyo owners. I have the Harman Kardon 3600 85watts x 7 in which I am very happy with (the sound is smooth, clear & clean) but I still look around for a potential upgrade.

1. I was wondering if there is a big difference between Onkyo and Integra?

2. How is the quality of the Onkyo 809? I've heard horror stories of the 808.

3. would the 809 be a big step up or even a step up from my 3600 as far as sound is concerned?

The speakers I use are Monitor Audio RX6.

#39 ·
I have the bose acoustimass 16 II hooked up to zone 1 and bose free space 51 hooked up outside for zone 2.

When playing the same source (say pandora) I stand in the doorway and hear both, it sounds like the audio is off a hair of a second. I do not know if the audio or if it is the subwoofer with the bose.

Any ideas on adjustments I can make?

thanks,

Mike

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike /forum/post/0

I have the bose acoustimass 16 II hooked up to zone 1 and bose free space 51 hooked up outside for zone 2.

When playing the same source (say pandora) I stand in the doorway and hear both, it sounds like the audio is off a hair of a second. I do not know if the audio or if it is the subwoofer with the bose.

Any ideas on adjustments I can make?

thanks,

Mike

What exactly do you mean by "... the audio is off a hair of a second."? And, why does it bother you?

If you mean that you are hearing the words to the song in one room a split second before hearing the same words in the other room it's probably because the sound from one room is reaching your ears before the sound from the other room does. It's just the physics of sound travel.

#41 ·
As the last poster mentioned, the delay is natural due to distance. Large venues tune multiple speaker systems using line delay. You would need to use a line out to a delay box, then another amplifier unless the speakers are self powered. A much easier solution would be simply to shut the door.

#42 ·
Thanks guys. It is just a split second. I thought it might be a setting making it sound different.

On another note, does the flap on yours stay shut al tlhe way? Mine opens a hair from being push all the way against the little rubber feet when closed. A hair as in 2 or 3 mm.

Just curious.

Also, anyone remove the flap? I do use the buttons more than the remote for zone 2 and I need to close it before I close the glass cabinet door and once or twice the wife forgot to close the flap and I am concerned sooner or later the glass or flap will break.

It looks like only 4 screws on the bottom to remove it.

Thanks

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumonk /forum/post/20632722

I have some questions for Onkyo owners. I have the Harman Kardon 3600 85watts x 7 in which I am very happy with (the sound is smooth, clear & clean) but I still look around for a potential upgrade.

1. I was wondering if there is a big difference between Onkyo and Integra?

2. How is the quality of the Onkyo 809? I've heard horror stories of the 808.

3. would the 809 be a big step up or even a step up from my 3600 as far as sound is concerned?

The speakers I use are Monitor Audio RX6.

1. Sure, a few here and there. But none that justifies the price difference. I got my 809 locally at frys for 799.

2. I had the 805, 806, 807 and now the 809. Never had a single issue with anything. But never owned a 808.

3. Slight setup as far as detail/midrange goes. Not a step up as far as 'power' goes.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttwood /forum/post/20644682

WooHoo! If you missed that NewEgg deal, check them out today. I just ordered mine!

Crutchfield doesn't match prices, but they do take everything back for sixty days. Just had them send me a return label and am purchasing on NewEgg right now.

Thanks for the heads up, you saved me $250.