"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5971 of 5991 Old 06-22-2014, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Everyone, please step up to the plate for free punches to my face, I'm about to eat my words mostly due to NODES mentioning a Factory Re-Set, something I never knew about, never heard about.

I just tried it and low and behold my repaired NR809 is now working perfectly again, I want to be joyous, don't mind eating my words or getting internet biotch slapped by Onkyo supporters here but I am still feeling a bit apprehensive, what caused me or rather what was fixed by a factory re-set? Additionally all my settings are maintained? shouldn't those have been cancelled out?

Last night the AVR wasn't pumping out an Audio or Video now it is after a factory re-set, what the heck is going on here?

Yes, I should have had more faith in Onkyo, the Repair made and this model however I think I have a bit of PTSD about HDMI issues with this AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 5991 Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Jose has instructed me to bring the repaired unit back to the repair facility as I have a 90 day window on their repair work, he wants to make sure I don't fall out of that window in case the Factory Re-Set didn't fully resolve the issue I expereinced secondary to getting the HDMI board replaced some 12+ days ago.

If the unit fails again he stated he'll assist me with getting the unit replaced.

Let the Saga continue.
mbrennem and SteveL1949 like this.
post #5973 of 5991 Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Jose has instructed me to bring the repaired unit back to the repair facility as I have a 90 day window on their repair work, he wants to make sure I don't fall out of that window in case the Factory Re-Set didn't fully resolve the issue I expereinced secondary to getting the HDMI board replaced some 12+ days ago.

If the unit fails again he stated he'll assist me with getting the unit replaced.

Let the Saga continue.
Was the unit out for a 1-time out of warranty repair the first time ? Man that's a pain connecting-unconnecting, sending and receiving etc !! What causes the unit to have to have a hard -reset ? I'm hoping he will hook you up with a upgrade !!
post #5974 of 5991 Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Was the unit out for a 1-time out of warranty repair the first time ? Man that's a pain connecting-unconnecting, sending and receiving etc !! What causes the unit to have to have a hard -reset ? I'm hoping he will hook you up with a upgrade !!
I had an HDMI Board replaced while still covered under warranty a little over 11-12 days ago...

It seemingly failed again this past Saturday, No Audio of Video out of HDMI Out#1 or #2 ...

Performed a Factory Re-Set and once again had Audio\Visual out of HDMI Out #1 and #2 ....

While discussing the need for a Factory reset and what I should do, I have been instructed to return it to the repair center even though it seems to be working correctly as Jose wouldn't want me missing the 90 day return policy for the Repair Centers work performed 11-12 days ago.

As for the wiring, I have it all zip tied and perfectly loomed within my entertainment stand, its a pain to unhook it and re-install it every time it acts up, additionally driving 2 plus hours round trip to drop it off, then another 2 hours round trip to pick it up is money out of my pocket.

In closing thus far, even though I an unhappy overall with the NR-809 as a product I am happy with how Onkyo is responding to my issues. It still sucks that the NR-809 seems to have more problems than should be acceptable, which makes me very disgruntled however Jose and Onkyo haven't alienated me yet.

Updates to follow.
post #5975 of 5991 Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM

I just heard back from the repair facility and they cannot find anything wrong with unit, all functions, features and specs are operational and as they should be, so.....I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

1.) HDMI board fails
2.) HDMI board replaced under warranty
3.) 11-12 days after HDMI board was replaced both HDMI Outs stopped working and only returned to operational after a Factory Re-Set.
4.) At Onkyo request unit brought back to repair center, all is deemed normal.

My question is this, HDMI board fails once and is replaced, I expereince the same issue regarding HDMI Out operation failure a second time only to be fixed with a Factory Re-Set, should this be acceptable on my part? Obviously something went wrong during the second failure as I wasn't getting anything out of the HDMI outputs yet it gets fixed after just doing a re-set? Is the re-set a mask or a permanent fix? Should I be worried for future issues down the road?

To be continued.
post #5976 of 5991 Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
I just heard back from the repair facility and they cannot find anything wrong with unit, all functions, features and specs are operational and as they should be, so.....I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

1.) HDMI board fails
2.) HDMI board replaced under warranty
3.) 11-12 days after HDMI board was replaced both HDMI Outs stopped working and only returned to operational after a Factory Re-Set.
4.) At Onkyo request unit brought back to repair center, all is deemed normal.

My question is this, HDMI board fails once and is replaced, I expereince the same issue regarding HDMI Out operation failure a second time only to be fixed with a Factory Re-Set, should this be acceptable on my part? Obviously something went wrong during the second failure as I wasn't getting anything out of the HDMI outputs yet it gets fixed after just doing a re-set? Is the re-set a mask or a permanent fix? Should I be worried for future issues down the road?

To be continued.

third time a charm, you might get upgraded to a new 929.
post #5977 of 5991 Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Everyone, please step up to the plate for free punches to my face, I'm about to eat my words mostly due to NODES mentioning a Factory Re-Set, something I never knew about, never heard about.

I just tried it and low and behold my repaired NR809 is now working perfectly again, I want to be joyous, don't mind eating my words or getting internet biotch slapped by Onkyo supporters here but I am still feeling a bit apprehensive, what caused me or rather what was fixed by a factory re-set? Additionally all my settings are maintained? shouldn't those have been cancelled out?

Last night the AVR wasn't pumping out an Audio or Video now it is after a factory re-set, what the heck is going on here?

Yes, I should have had more faith in Onkyo, the Repair made and this model however I think I have a bit of PTSD about HDMI issues with this AVR.
I got the out of warranty repair approved and need to drop the unit off to service center.
I guess I should try Factory reset before that. More so as you confirm that it maintains the settings and also if can avoid the pain of disconnect/connect etc.
But in any case thank you and to Jose who was very prompt.
post #5978 of 5991 Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I got the out of warranty repair approved and need to drop the unit off to service center.
I guess I should try Factory reset before that. More so as you confirm that it maintains the settings and also if can avoid the pain of disconnect/connect etc.
But in any case thank you and to Jose who was very prompt.
Hard reset did not fix it. BTW it also cleared all my settings...
So it goes to service center for that repair... Let's see how it goes..
post #5979 of 5991 Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Hard reset did not fix it. BTW it also cleared all my settings...
So it goes to service center for that repair... Let's see how it goes..

it would of been cleared anyways after sending it off.
post #5980 of 5991 Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
it would of been cleared anyways after sending it off.
They did not clear mine even though they did update the firmware. I had renamed two of my inputs and run Audyssey and those setting were still there when I got it back.
post #5981 of 5991 Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM

The Saga continues, as I suspected even though I was told the repair unit could not find an issue with it after the second time I brought it to them, it failed for what I consider the 3rd time, No Video (I have audio) out of HDMI Output #1 .

Heres my latest copied and pasted email to Jose at Onkyo.....As you can imagine I am INCENSED with anger.

Jose, please excuse the tone of the below email as I am fit to be tied right now and am so upset I can hardly formulate a coherent email, if you couldn't guess as to the reasons of my contempt, bad mood and disgust, yup my NR-809 failed again, least I think it has.

Today I powered up my Sharp TV, my Scientific Atlantic 8300HD Cable box and NR-809 AVR, I could hear audio from the Cable Box but could not see any video being displayed on my TV.

I made sure I had the TV set to display the right Input (HDMI 1), made sure I selected Cable Box/Satellite on the NR-809 as that's the HDMI port I have the Cable boxed plugged into on the back of the NR-809 and made sure all the HDMI connections from Cable Box to AVR to TV were tight and secure, all to no avail, I have sound but no video.

I quickly pushed the Setup button on the NR-809 to see if the GUI would appear on the screen, it would not.

To rule out the HDMI cables themselves I plugged the Cable Box right into the HDMI 1 port on my TV and I had Sound and Video. I then grabbed another cable and did the same thing, going from Cable Box to the TV, this cable also worked as I had Sound and Video from the Cable Box to the TV. Knowing that I had 2 good HDMI cables I then plugged 1 HDMI Cable from the Cable Box into the CBL/SAT HDMI Input on the back of the NR-809 and then from HDMI Out #1 on NR-809 to HDMI Input #1 on the TV yet I could only hear Audio, it is not displaying Video out of the HDMI #1 Out.

You have no idea how angry I am right now. Let me re-cap just to illustrate how costly, and mentally painful ownership of this faulty, defective and lemon of a product has been.

1.) May 17th I ask you for assistance in dealing with broken NR-809, HDMI Ou #1 and #2 were not functioning. You authorize me bringing it to Authorized Repair Center for repairs.

2.) May 21st I drive 2 hours, 100+ Miles round trip to drop of the broken NR-809, HDMI Board was replaced with a "So-Called" updated, non failure prone Board.

3.) June 11th I drive yet again 2 hours and 100 miles round trip to pick up the repaired unit.

4.) June 17th not more than 6 days after repairs I experienced intermittent HDMI Out failure, though the problem seemed to resolve itself.

5.) Fearing the worse on June 18th I order an Extended Warranty from Onkyo.

6.) June 21st the Unit failed completely (AGAIN!!!!), no Audio or Video out of HDMI #1 or #2. An AVS.com Forum member suggested I try a "Factory Re-Set" to see if this would resolve the problem, which it did, I once again had a "So-Called" working unit.

7.) Fearing that the unit was inherently flawed and was going to die on my shortly I contacted you yet again to seek advice, you suggested that even though the unit appeared to be working after a Factory Re-Set that I should bring it back to the Authorized Repair Center as I only had a 90 day warranty on the work they completed and that it would be a good idea for them to inspect the unit yet again.

8.) June 24th I spend 2 hours and a 100+ miles driving round trip to yet again drop the unit off for an inspection.

9.) June 25th I receive word from the repair center that the unit checked out fine, all specs and features were working correctly, there was nothing wrong with the unit.

10.) June 26th I spend 2 hours and 100+ miles round trip to yet again pick up a so-called properly working, non defective NR-809 AVR.

11.) June 28th, here we are, right back at the damn beginning, I'm sitting here with a non operational, NR-809 writing yo an email as to what to do next? SO WHAT IS ONKYO going to do next?

In closing lets look at my expenditures, above and beyond the actual purchase price of this Piece of **** AVR:

At my job I earn $25.00 an hour, I've spent 8 hours out of work driving to and from Pinnacle Service Solutions for repairs and pick ups. Thats $200.00 dollars.

I've driven 400+ miles dropping off and picking up this POS AVR from the repair center. My truck gets 20 miles to the gallon, that's 20 gallons of gas used at $3.65 cents a gallon for a total of $73.00 in Fule Costs.

I would estimate I've spent 4-5 hours hooking up and UN-hooking this AVR into the rest of my entertainment center.

NONE OF THIS SHOULD BE REMOTELY ACCEPTABLE ESPECIALLY FOR A DEVICE AT THIS PRICE POINT. I AM NOT THE ONLY 1 EXPERIENCING MULTIPLE HDMI ISSUES WITH THE NR-809 AS IT IS VERY WELL DOCUMENTED ALL ACROSS THE NET. HOW IN GOOD FAITH CAN I DRIVE ANOTHER 200 MILES AND 4 HOURS TOTAL TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP A UNIT THAT I KNOW WITH QUESTION WILL FAIL AGAIN, PROBABLY IN A MATTER OF A FEW DAYS AFTER PICKING IT UP. AFTER I PICKED IT UP THE SECOND TIME AND WAS TOLD THAT IT WASN'T BROKEN I KNEW WITHOUT A DOUBT THAT THE UNIT WAS SCREWED UP AND WOULD BE FAILING AND TO TELL THE TRUTH I KNEW IT WOULD BE ONLY A MATTER OF DAYS BEFORE I WOULD BE WRITING YOU AGAIN.

So, what are you going to instruct me to do? I am only a few hundred miles from Salem Massachusetts the historic site of the 1800 Witch Trials, should I bring it there to have the demons exorcised from it? That may sound absurd and blatantly sarcastic, but what the **** should I do? Everything I've been instructed to do has failed, you would think a company with the engineering might, financial means, and desire to stay in a good light in the consumers eyes would fix an issue like this, a wide spread, un-fixable, lemon of a product. I know contacting a lawyer will probably cost me way more than what just buying a better unit from Denon, Marantz or Pioneer would cost but it's an option I have to think of as I think this is teetering towards fraud on Onkyos part, and regardless of what you do for me I will never recommend or purchase an Onkyo out of my own pocket because I suspect if I was foolish enough to do so again I would have to spend roughly $300+ on Gas and lost hourly wages getting the unit repaired, would have to spend 8 hours of my live shuttling around a large black broken paper weight of an AVR, who in there right mind would sign up for that?

The balls in your court. I eagerly await your reply.
mbrennem likes this.
post #5982 of 5991 Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Well, I cannot explain it, it it does nothing to ease my hate of this product but I brought my unit downstairs, hooked it up to another TV and Cable box and it worked?

I brought it all back upstairs and it worked there as well?

I don't know if this is a intermittent cable issue or an intermittent AVR issue?

I've tried numerous HDMI cables, as outlined in my last email and when trouble shooting earlier in this sage and I find it hard to believe that I'm experiencing numerous HDMI cable failures, and or intermittent HDMI cable issues. The cables that didn't work upstairs, worked downstairs, and vice versa.....I cannot explain it.

In closing, I've never experienced the frustration as I have with this product.
post #5983 of 5991 Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I cannot explain it, it it does nothing to ease my hate of this product but I brought my unit downstairs, hooked it up to another TV and Cable box and it worked?

I don't know if this is a intermittent cable issue or an intermittent AVR issue?

I've tried numerous HDMI cables, as outlined in my last email and when trouble shooting earlier in this sage and I find it hard to believe that I'm experiencing numerous HDMI cable failures, and or intermittent HDMI cable issues. The cables that didn't work upstairs, worked downstairs, and vice versa.....I cannot explain it.

This is where a video camera comes in handy. You record the issue, you send it in as proof so they cannot call you an "idiot".

They might make you send it into Onkyo directly now, hopefully they will pay the shipping fee.

Last edited by NODES; 06-28-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #5984 of 5991 Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

I commend you on doing an outstanding job with the documentation on the chain of events that have occurred with your 809 !!
You have a lot more patience than I could ever have !!! In my opinion Jose needs to get you an upgrade/replacement A.S.A.P as I don't think I have seen many having the issues that you are !!
Good luck and stay on it !!
post #5985 of 5991 Old 06-29-2014, 07:57 AM

Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
I commend you on doing an outstanding job with the documentation on the chain of events that have occurred with your 809 !!
You have a lot more patience than I could ever have !!! In my opinion Jose needs to get you an upgrade/replacement A.S.A.P as I don't think I have seen many having the issues that you are !!
Good luck and stay on it !!
Thanks Man, I don't know if all of the failures I have expereinced, and pseduo expereinced are the fault of the NR-809, the Repair Facility or me and my wiring, there seems to be to many varibles in assessing blame. I do know the initial failure was verified by the repairer to be a faulty HDMI board but subsequent trips to the repair facility have not found anything which points the finger at me, my cabling and or an intermittent issue, all I do know is that when I turn everything on and nothing works, even with swapping stuff out I become very frustrated, additionally my system is pretty straight forward and I have owned a few Onkyo AVR's and Sharp TVs so I'm not like my parents who just randomly press buttons on remotes hoping for the best, i have a good grasp on set-up, use and trouble shooting.

I was HOT under the collar yesterday, I have calmed a bit today. Within the next few weeks I am pulling out all of my source components, all of my wiring, clearing out the entire entertainment stand of wiring, cable ties, cable runs and will start from scratch. I willl replace all of the 2 year old (Monoprice) HDMI cables regardless of if they are tested to be functional, better safe than sorry. I will then re-wire everything however this time everything will NOT be hidden, orderly and cable tied, that way when issues arise and they will it won't be a nightmare to swap cables, source components and the like.

I guess I will keep moving forward, I would like a replacement from Onkyo but I know that wont happen, when I am ready for an upgrade to a 4K capable AVR, Onkyo won't even be on the shopping list, that I do know with certianty.
post #5986 of 5991 Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picture of Repaired HDMI Board

When the HDMI board is repaired, do they change a voltage regulator as well? Does someone have a pic of a repaired HDMI board?
post #5987 of 5991 Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD48SEC View Post
When the HDMI board is repaired, do they change a voltage regulator as well? Does someone have a pic of a repaired HDMI board?
No pics....

All my repair slip said for parts was HDMI Board...No mention of Voltage Regulator being changed.
post #5988 of 5991 Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Known good HDMI Cables

Known Good Source (PS3)

Known Good TV (Sharp Aqous)

HMDI Out #1 outputs only sound

When I switch to HDMI Sub Output#2, and select Monitor Out as Sub\Out#2, I get Sound and Video from the PS3...

This is not a cable issue, not a user error, its the AVR....Yet another email to Jose....Though I think he was taken aback by my second to last email where I swore, he never responded.
post #5989 of 5991 Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 809 sound went out again today / Just got it back on June 10 / Been July 4th cant take it back to the repair cntr , so I'm going to email Mr Torres to see if there is another repair cntr that might be aware of the HDMI issues in my area.

Has anyone here has jump the Onkyo ship to another brand ? I'm thinking of just buying a different unit all together but not sure what brand to look for , Maybe a Anthem.

Always had Onkyo but I think I'm done with them.
post #5990 of 5991 Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grip24 View Post
My 809 sound went out again today / Just got it back on June 10 / Been July 4th cant take it back to the repair cntr , so I'm going to email Mr Torres to see if there is another repair cntr that might be aware of the HDMI issues in my area.

Has anyone here has jump the Onkyo ship to another brand ? I'm thinking of just buying a different unit all together but not sure what brand to look for , Maybe a Anthem.

Always had Onkyo but I think I'm done with them.

Hard Reset, I said it all along its not a new improved board, its the same crap they put in the first place.
grip24 likes this.
post #5991 of 5991 Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Hard Reset, I said it all along its not a new improved board, its the same crap they put in the first place.
To me it looks like a worse crap. Recycled or something..
Because the same crap should work at least for another 2 years as it did with original units.
grip24 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread