"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6001 of 6023 Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You have more patience than I do. I would have started escalating within a couple of days.

Last edited by fibertech; 07-13-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelled a word wrong....ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6023 Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Just heard back from Jose, he states he can only bring up in Outlook my most recent email?

I'm not sure if he stating that he is unfamiliar with my entire situation or is indicating he hasn't access to any emails from me after June 27th, luckily that means he also didn't receive the email in which I lost my cool and used profanity, Phew. I'm glad I waited from emailing his boss.

So I appraised him of the issues on June 28th that oddly got resolved by mixing and matching HDMI Cables that seemed to work on other sources. I went on to inform him of my most recent problem, and current state of operation, another HDMI Out#1 issue, sound but no video.

I told him I'd be willing to make a video demonstration of the unpackaging of new HDMI cables and the non operational status of HDMI Out#1 , just because the Service Center can't duplicate my issue doesn't make me believe in it being my cables (Numerous) or mere coincidence that I am having repeated, intermittent and irregular HDMI Out #1 operations.

Balls in his court now.
post #6003 of 6023 Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertech View Post
You have more patients than I do.
You're a doctor?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #6004 of 6023 Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post
Hey guys,

Please direct me to the right forum if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I am looking for a good Onkyo home theater receiver for a second system I have in a media room upstairs. Im running Polk Audio RTI 5.1 with tower r/l, and a huge center. I've owned a few Onkyo's in the past and loved them all.. until now. I wanted to get an updated receiver from Onkyo that has HDMI, with 3D capabilities, so in a pinch, I bought the inexpensive TXNR525.. What a terrible unit (for what I'm trying to do.).. What's almost most disappointing is the display, and the front of the unit. I can't see the buttons to save my life, and it doesn't constantly display the current format in which the sound is coming out. (DTS-Master, Dolby Digital, Stereo, etc...)..I'm going to list it on ebay.

I want to get an Onkyo that has a good bit of power (hence posting in the 800 series thread), supports 3D, and DTS-HD, but don't want to by brand new.. I think I can get a good deal on an older model, in new or near new condition. I tried looking on the Onkyo website, but they have about a million HT receivers, and thought I'd get some advice from the pro's.

Everyone like their 809's??

Thanks for your replies in advance.

the 809 series are falling out of the sky...stay away from them. Go newer
post #6005 of 6023 Old 07-13-2014, 04:01 PM

I'll be the douche who says "Search" the forums for NR-809, then actually read the latter couple of pages.

Yet I'll also be 1 of 100's that will tell you, even if a brand new NR-809 can be had for FREE do not take it.
post #6006 of 6023 Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM

Looks like things are progressing towards a hopefully satisfying resolution for both myself and Onkyo.

Jose just sent a Service History Request to my Service Center, requesting such records as he is looking to exchange my unit.

I'm not sure if he is planning on exchanging my unit with another NR-809, that I won't agree to, or if he is going to offer some sort of Onkyo Dollars towards purchase of a upgraded AVR, or an even swap for a newer, comparable model?

This is good for Onkyo as it keeps me as a happy, potentially repeat customer who speaks good of the company on Social Media and Tech forums and to friends and family who seek purchase advice.

Its good for me as I'll no longer have the burning rage and anxiety inside my head every time I go to turn on the NR-809 expecting it to fail. On numerous occasions when hauling down into the man cave/AV workshop and back up stairs to the family room I've had urges to just smash it down the stairs and walk away from it and its hassles, glad I didn't.

It remains to be seen exactly what Onkyo will do, but I must say Jose is an asset to that company.
grip24 likes this.
post #6007 of 6023 Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jose gave me excellent support and was exceptionally responsive especially considering that I was actually out of warranty.

My 809 is was sent in last week for an authorized warranty repair (even though I was at the 2.5 year point and originally an open box unit). My only cost was the shipping to the repair center ($35).

I hope to get it back in a week or so.

I actually work at a tech company (which must remain unnamed) that has had to debug failures with boards containing similarly sized components and connections. Our lab technician said that this isn't unique to a given supplier/manufacturer and is getting more common with smaller components boards and solder failures depending on the quality control during assembly. Many well respected companies have had to deal with this type of issue. So it is most likely a manufacturing/assembly issue rather than an actual board issue.

Our lab tech did say that we could reflow the solder on my board between our official work as a favor (they have some very expensive equipment in the lab) which I would have done if it wasn't under warranty. If I have problems in the future after the warranty is gone I might give it a shot. That is probably what the ebay seller is doing. It is a tricky process though because the board has to be first baked overnight to get any moisture out followed by a run in the reflow machine (I didn't ask the details on how the reflow works).

Hopefully the new board from the service center holds up well.

-Rich
post #6008 of 6023 Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Yep,
It's really sad to go thru this issue with a A/V receiver. Every time turn mine on I wonder is it going to work or not being that it has played without any issue since day-1.
Did yours break upon turning it on or while on ?
It failed when turned on but would intermittently work.

If I waited 30 minutes to warm up and then power cycled it then it would usually work when turned back on (must be a thermal expansion/contraction issue with the connection).

-Rich
post #6009 of 6023 Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Well Jose wants me to send it to the "Regional Service Center", what the Regional Service Center can offer over the Authorizied Service Center is beyond me.

What Jose is stating is that even though the unit was repaired once, they do not consider the 3 additional issues I've exerienced to be real or verified hence they cannot offer me a replacemtn at this time.

I told Jose that this was unacceptable and asked for other options.

I am about to go on the most monumental smear campiagn that I can go on, I will make sure Onkyo takes notice. Childish? Perhaps...But I am so mad right now I cannot fathom what to do next.
post #6010 of 6023 Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My coffin arrived today with a pre-pay label to Onkyo Serv in Elk grove, IL.

I hope I don't have to do this again / What a pain !! Will post any updates
post #6011 of 6023 Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Well, I guess I’m about to start a long, exhausting smear campaign against Onkyo which they might not notice a bit but will make me feel better.

Below is the most up to date Email exchanges between myself and Mr. Torres. While I will publicly praise him and his efforts as he is only doing what the company allows him, I am utterly disgusted with Onkyo and the NR-809.

Never again will I even look at Onkyo products and every chance I get I will leave negative feedback on any site, in any post, or any form of social media where Onkyo is mentioned.

The below is in reverse order.

Ryan Johnson (tinnusad@hotmail.com)
Sent:
Mon 7/14/14 3:53 PM
To:
Jose Torres (jose.torres@us.onkyo.com)

I need to think about this.

At this point I don't have faith in my NR-809 or Onkyos ability to satisfactorily repair it.

Onkyo and the hundreds, if not thousands of NR-809 owners know the unit is inherently flawed and has a failure rate far higher than the industry standards, Onkyo should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to string along NR-809 owners. I have talked with a great many individuals who have had failures after there HDMI Boards have been replaced, what I have learned from these discussions, lessons I will flood the many social media and tech sites I frequent, is that NR-809 owners will suffer repeated failures despite anything Onkyo does.

Can you provide a corporate explanation for why I should have to suffer the consequences of a failed product? Its almost as if Onkyo is doubting there is an issue with my NR-809, certainly they are VERY well aware of the problem, yet all the offer are meager, ill fated gestures. It would be like a car manufacturer offering a free air freshener to a consumer who suffered numerous failures of his engine in a brand new car, or to put it ore bluntly, its like putting a dress on a pig, its still a pig.

In closing, I would like this to be kicked up a level, if that is even an option. I am happy with the way you have handled this, but am extremely disappointed with the insulting options I have been given.

I angrily await your response.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Jose Torres
Sent:
Mon 7/14/14 2:40 PM
To:
'Ryan Johnson' (tinnusad@hotmail.com)

Ryan,
I would suggest to go with the repair as the unit will be going to our Regional Service Center for repair so the turn-around time will be quicker and they should certainly be able to repair the unit. As advised below if the unit was to fail again I would do what I can to replace it.
Please advise,
Jose
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 1:39 PM
To: Jose Torres
Subject: RE: NR-809

Are you saying that in addition to sending my faulty failed unit I would have to pay an additional sum of $600.00 for the NR-929? or $450.00 for the NR828?

Please excuse me if I have little confidence in your products, but why would I have any more faith in a unit that for some reason or another was deemed defective, then "Reconditioned", I am trying to get a product that is not, nor was not defective, at any point in its life cycle?

It appears that Onkyo really cannot offer a product that isn't defective, why would I accept a previously failed unit, to replace a currently failed unit?

This is becoming absurd.

To: tinnusad@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 17:25:04 +0000

HI Ryan,

I can offer you a trade in where you can trade your unit for a newer unit. The unit would be a reconditioned unit with a one year parts and labor warranty. I can offer you the tx-nr929 for 600.00 or the tx-nr828 for 450.00. Note that you would have to ship your current unit to us here at Onkyo USA in NJ.

Please advise,
Jose
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 1:14 PM

This is a major disappointment, and something I consider extremely un-acceptable.

If Pinnacle was an authorized service center shouldn't they be just as competent as your Regional Service center, what can the Regional Center offer that Pinnacle couldn't?

Just because they (Pinnacle) fixed it once, yet cannot duplicate the numerous other issues I have been experiences does not mean that I'm NOT having issues. Why would I make this up?

In closing, what other options are available to me?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:08:38 +0000

Hi Ryan,
I can offer to send you a box, label and packing material to get the unit serviced at our Regional Service Center. At this time we cannot exchange your unit as the HDMI Board was changed on the first failure and the second time it was brought into Pinnacle they could not find the problem. If the unit is repaired and was to fail again I will do what I can to exchange your unit.

Thanks,
Jose
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 10:31 AM

Jose, the entire situation has been maddeningly frustrating. In total I have had what I believe to be (4) separate HDMI Out #1 issues, 1 was verified through the Service Center yet I find it hard to believe that the other (3) incidents were not related, find it enormously hard to believe it was operator error, or that I had (3) sets of HDMI Cables that worked on other sources but not on the NR-809, it all adds up to way more than coincidence.

I'm not sure what Onkyo can do for me, I'm extremely grateful with assistance thus far yet just in traveling and loss of work costs alone I am close to $200 dollars out of pocket, this is above and beyond the initial purchase price. For that kind of money I could have purchased a competitors comparable AVR and had no issues with HDMI Board failures, and we both know that my HDMI Board issue was not an isolated incident.

Anyways I think you need to relate to your Superiors that I am seriously considering walking away from Onkyo for future purchases. I'm fairly consistent in my cycle of Home Theater upgrades following the latest tech and offerings and I've owned several of Onkyo's in the past, and had previously always recommend them to my extended family and friends however with the current problems there's not much Onkyo can do to keep me as a repeat, satisfied customer.

In closing, thank you for all your help and continued support.

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:11:43 +0000

Hi Ryan,

I am sorry that you have been going thru this issue with your unit. Please email me the following so that I can see what options I have available to you. I will need the 16 digits serial number located on the back of your unit along with a copy of the dated sales receipt.
Thanks,
Jose
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:13 PM

Jose, good to hear from you.

I'm continuing to experience problems.

On June 21st I began experiencing problems with HDMI Out #1 even after HDMI Board replacement on June 11th. I performed a Factory Re-Set which got the unit working again. Not feeling good about this I contacted you.

On June 24th you directed me to bring the AVR back to Pinnacle Service Solutions to verify that something was wrong with the unit after the HDMI Board replacement as I had a 90 day guarantee on their work, Service Center could not duplicate the issue and felt the unit was fine.

On June 28th I sent you another email stating that I was again having issues with HDMI Out #1 though upon further investigation it appeared it was an Intermittent HDMI Cable issue. I have my doubts to this actually solving the issue due to the fact that the cables that didn't work on the AVR, worked with other sources and connections? Anyways I sent you another email that evening stating this problem, for the time being had been resolved. You didn't respond to either of these emails, though as you state it appears to be an Outlook issue?

On July 3rd I try using my PS3 through the AVR, I could get sound but no video out of HDMI Out #1, same thing for trying to use my Cable Box through HDMI Out #1. The PS3 and Cable Box work fine when connected directly to the TV, when routed through the AVR and Out of HDMI Out #1 I only receive sound. I unplugged the HDMI Out #1 Cable and plugged it into HDMI Out#2 (Sub) and had Sound and Video from the PS3 and Cable Box when routed through the AVR. I sent you an Email that evening informing you of this most recent HDMI OUt #1 issue, no response though you stated this is an Outlook issue. As it stands now, HDMI Out#1 is non operational and I am forced to use HDMI Out#2, this is limiting on many levels.

On July 10th and 12th I sent you a few emails asking if you had received my last email on July 3rd informing you of the latest HDMI Out issue, finally I hear back from you today.

In conclusion, I continue to experience, intermittently HDMI Out #1 issues, though there could be numerous interpretations of the causes of the 4 separate issues I've had with HDMI#1 Out no other areas of the AVR have caused problems, it all revolves around the HDMI Outs, to me this is indicative of a problem, it cannot be mere coincident that I have 1 verified and repaired problem then go on to have 3 additional, eerily similar issues, can it?

I'm willing to buy yet more HDMI Cables, set up a small demonstration area and make a video of the HDMI Out #1 not working with brand new cables, then working on HDMI Out#2. I have no idea why Pinnacle Service Solutions cannot duplicate my issue, nor do I think performing a factory re-set once, let alone again is appropriate for a device like this, especially after repairs. I think this video is unreasonable but perhaps will show you (Onkyo) that my particular NR-809 is deeply flawed and not consistent with the quality products Onkyo usually offers consumers. I want to be a repeat consumer yet I am very troubled, and angry with this unit.

Anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thanks.
post #6012 of 6023 Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Regional Service Center is operated by Onkyo themselves, they will put it through all their tests.

This is actually good, if its bad chances are they will upgrade you to newer unit with no Audyssey

Let them fix it and sell it.
post #6013 of 6023 Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Regional Service Center is operated by Onkyo themselves, they will put it through all their tests.

This is actually good, if its bad chances are they will upgrade you to newer unit with no Audyssey

Let them fix it and sell it.
NODES, I just may do that, all I know at this point is I am really fed up.

As it stands now, some days the HDMI Out #1 wants to work, other days it doesn't, doesn't matter what cables or sources I have connected to it.

I feel its a slap in the face to offer me a ReFurb'd 929 at a price reduction of roughly $600. I was sold a product that is clearly faulty, a product that has documented, well known issues, why the F*** would I accept a previously failed and repired unit as any sort of compensation or remedy for a problem that is clearly not my fault? I keep getting told, send it to our Regional Site or accept the Refurbd, oh and by thje way the Extended Warranty you just bought for the 809 is non transferable to the 929, another F*** You.

I currently have a Sony ES Series and a Marantz AVR in my Amazon shopping cart, and am working on a very clear, concise posting that I will carpet bomb all of Onkyo's Execs with, as well as any form of Social Media that I can, childish? Perhaps but it appears its the only satisfaction I will get in this horrible, fraudulent situation.
post #6014 of 6023 Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
NODES, I just may do that, all I know at this point is I am really fed up.

As it stands now, some days the HDMI Out #1 wants to work, other days it doesn't, doesn't matter what cables or sources I have connected to it.

I feel its a slap in the face to offer me a ReFurb'd 929 at a price reduction of roughly $600. I was sold a product that is clearly faulty, a product that has documented, well known issues, why the F*** would I accept a previously failed and repired unit as any sort of compensation or remedy for a problem that is clearly not my fault? I keep getting told, send it to our Regional Site or accept the Refurbd, oh and by thje way the Extended Warranty you just bought for the 809 is non transferable to the 929, another F*** You.

I currently have a Sony ES Series and a Marantz AVR in my Amazon shopping cart, and am working on a very clear, concise posting that I will carpet bomb all of Onkyo's Execs with, as well as any form of Social Media that I can, childish? Perhaps but it appears its the only satisfaction I will get in this horrible, fraudulent situation.
Don't get me wrong. But IMHO you are over-reacting.
I think it is fair from Onkyo's point of view to offer you either of the two (Refurb 929 or send to RSC). Very few businesses do it these days, especially when the product is already out of warranty. (I am assuming your 809 is out of warranty)
Another of your point of transfer of extended warranty from 809 to 929. At least I have not heard anywhere it has been done, i.e. extended warranty of product A being transferred to B. Some do transfer it to next owner (but not all).
Just my 2 cents.
thisismyname123 likes this.
post #6015 of 6023 Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 PM

My 809 is not out of the factory warranty period just yet.

Only reason I bough the extended warranty was that I was getting intermittent issues after a HDMI Board replacement and figured I was starting down a road of continued issues.

I want the purchased extended warranty transferred, even though its rare for companies to do that, as a good faith gesture. Onkyo knows that the 809's have statistically more problems than they should have and thus should go a tad above and beyond for me and my requests.

I also find fault with the Authorized Service Center versus the Regional Service Center. If a company (Onkyo) contracts (Authorizes) another company to do their warranty and repair work, it should be up to the level of its Corporate Regional Centers, shouldn't it?

In the end, I guess I will be OK with paying $500+for a receiver (NR-809) that worked as advertized for roughly 12 months or so. I love my other Onkyo, Hell I love this one when it works correctly but after a hard day on the Forensic Mental Health Unit working as a Therapist,the last thing I want to do is try and diagnose why my AVR isn't working when I hit the power button, I expect things to just work, work as they are suppose to, doesn't everyone else?
post #6016 of 6023 Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
My 809 is not out of the factory warranty period just yet.

Only reason I bough the extended warranty was that I was getting intermittent issues after a HDMI Board replacement and figured I was starting down a road of continued issues.

I want the purchased extended warranty transferred, even though its rare for companies to do that, as a good faith gesture. Onkyo knows that the 809's have statistically more problems than they should have and thus should go a tad above and beyond for me and my requests.

I also find fault with the Authorized Service Center versus the Regional Service Center. If a company (Onkyo) contracts (Authorizes) another company to do their warranty and repair work, it should be up to the level of its Corporate Regional Centers, shouldn't it?

In the end, I guess I will be OK with paying $500+for a receiver (NR-809) that worked as advertized for roughly 12 months or so. I love my other Onkyo, Hell I love this one when it works correctly but after a hard day on the Forensic Mental Health Unit working as a Therapist,the last thing I want to do is try and diagnose why my AVR isn't working when I hit the power button, I expect things to just work, work as they are suppose to, doesn't everyone else?

Are they giving you the 929 at $600?
post #6017 of 6023 Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Are they giving you the 929 at $600?
Yes, Onkyo are offering a previously broken and "Refurbished" 929 for $600.....I can't wrap my head around paying another $600 to fix a $500+ product. If I was informed of this up front, I would have just spent initially $1100 on an AVR and skipped all the drama.
post #6018 of 6023 Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, Onkyo are offering a previously broken and "Refurbished" 929 for $600.....I can't wrap my head around paying another $600 to fix a $500+ product. If I was informed of this up front, I would have just spent initially $1100 on an AVR and skipped all the drama.

So they are offering 929 for $600 + your 809? or you keep the 809 and ONLY pay $600 in the end?
post #6019 of 6023 Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 AM

Yes, a "Refurbished" 929 with a 1 years Parts and Labor warranty for $600.00, plus I have to give them my 809.

If you factor in my cost of $530+ for my 809, and $600.00 for this 929 that Onkyo is offering to replace my defective unit I'm looking at a little over $1100 for a AVR, and I still wouldn't have a "New" AVR, I'd have one that is Refurbished.

All I want is an AVR that works as advertised.
post #6020 of 6023 Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM

My 809 is back home / Did a quick set-up to get it going until the weekend / I hope this is it until I'm ready to replace it / Will post any change / And many thanks to Mr Torres
post #6021 of 6023 Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, a "Refurbished" 929 with a 1 years Parts and Labor warranty for $600.00, plus I have to give them my 809.

If you factor in my cost of $530+ for my 809, and $600.00 for this 929 that Onkyo is offering to replace my defective unit I'm looking at a little over $1100 for a AVR, and I still wouldn't have a "New" AVR, I'd have one that is Refurbished.

All I want is an AVR that works as advertised.

That is brutal.

Keep fighting for a direct replacement or cut your loses and sell the 809.
post #6022 of 6023 Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Ah. Then I misunderstood.
I thought they offered you 929 in lieu of 809 and no $$ involved.
Then this is crap proposal. It is available even otherwise to any crappy old receiver (not just 809).
Sorry for the confusion. Now I understand your frustration well..
post #6023 of 6023 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Well, just over a month later of having brought my 809 into the repair shop, I got it back. From what the guy said, there was a huge delay on getting the boards (yes, "boards" as he apparently had a few of these to fix...) from Onkyo. Got it hooked up last night, and I've got audio again. ............... But now I have the video issue. >.> Which I can fix for a time by unplugging the unit and plugging it back in. Going to watch it for a couple of days and hope it's nothing. Although having to have unplug it twice since yesterday afternoon doesn't speak well for it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page