"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 6049 Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I still find it hard to believe with all the documented problems that Onkyo has with this unit that people have not yet got together for a class action suit and force Onkyo to either refund the original purchase price or upgrade to the next mogel up at no extra charge. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6049 Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
I still find it hard to believe with all the documented problems that Onkyo has with this unit that people have not yet got together for a class action suit and force Onkyo to either refund the original purchase price or upgrade to the next mogel up at no extra charge. Just my 2 cents.
Yep,
That sounds good !! So far so good with my 809. But it's on my mind every time I turn it on, is it going to work or not. Anybody know of a way to force the board to fail ?
I do not want to have a movie night set up with company only to find out the freaking board is out!!
post #6033 of 6049 Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my reply from Mr. Torres already. Need to get home and get my S/N from the unit and email him back with that and copy of my receipt. He did reply quickly, which was nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post
Hooray for me! It's my turn... Almost 3 years to the day of ownership I get home from a day at work and no audio form any source. I get video but that's it. Swapped cables with no joy. Tested direct connects to just the tv and got audio just fine from the TV itself. I left the DirecTV hooked up to the TV directly so we could watch it. The wife actually commented about not knowing what you have until you loose it. She directed me to get it fixed that night. So off to Best Buy and picked up a Denon AVR-X4000 (which is pretty nice BTW).
Anyway, after catching up on this thread I am going to send Jose Torres and email to see if I can get any resolution from Onkyo. Wish me luck...
post #6034 of 6049 Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmm, quick update... I accidentally turned my 809 off while on the cable box input. Turned it back on... Boom! Audio popping. Unplugged it (forgetting to change it) and... Audio popping again. Changed the input, unplugged it again... No popping! OK! Time to test my theory. Put it back to the cable and turned it off then back on... Audio popping! Unplugged it again still on the cable... Audio popping! Switched the input again and unplugged it. No audio popping! Not having the no video issue when I turned it on Friday, but this is almost confirming what I believed about my Comcast cable box... It's been causing be trouble from the beginning via HDMI. Via component on my DA3ES I never had this, so as I said, I assumed it was my TV... Until over the weekend when I started to suspect Comcast was the evil at work (and when isn't it?!?). Not like they ever upgrade or change their equipment. >.>

So going to have to remember to change away from Comcast before turning it off over the next week or two just to confirm I'm not losing my mind... and then consider how I want to GET ANGRY! at Comcast.
post #6035 of 6049 Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapix View Post
So going to have to remember to change away from Comcast before turning it off over the next week or two just to confirm I'm not losing my mind... and then consider how I want to GET ANGRY! at Comcast.
Dump Comcast altogether !! Consider Directv and I'll give you my account number and we can get a discount off of our monthly bills via referrals. LOL..
post #6036 of 6049 Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM

Everything submitted. They are sending a pre-paid shipping box and a repair authorization. Seems like they are really on top of this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post
Got my reply from Mr. Torres already. Need to get home and get my S/N from the unit and email him back with that and copy of my receipt. He did reply quickly, which was nice...
post #6037 of 6049 Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well unfortunately, I'm here to report that the new versions (818 - replacement for 809 equivalent RT - 180) has also now failed (No Sound, not registering speakers, etc.). Essentially the same issue that I experienced with my 809 equivalent. So in the last 3 1/2 years I've gone through 2 $1k receivers and presently have a dead weight sitting in my living room.

I've called the Onkyo service number twice, stayed on hold for over 10-15 mins 2x, and left my number and it's going on 2 weeks and no call back. I can't tell you how pissed I am right now. Oh, and yes, I was offered, accepted and paid $600 for my less than 2yr old 818 receiver and it's now out of commission because it was a "refurb" with a 1yr warranty. I just assumed that Onkyo had got their **** together in that space considering the amount of reported HDMI board issues that they had experienced with the prior generation that I thought it was safe to give them another chance.

Definitely considering moving to the Denon xv - 4000.

To Infinity and Beyond!!!
post #6038 of 6049 Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy_Haynes View Post
Well unfortunately, I'm here to report that the new versions (818 - replacement for 809 equivalent RT - 180) has also now failed (No Sound, not registering speakers, etc.). Essentially the same issue that I experienced with my 809 equivalent. So in the last 3 1/2 years I've gone through 2 $1k receivers and presently have a dead weight sitting in my living room.

I've called the Onkyo service number twice, stayed on hold for over 10-15 mins 2x, and left my number and it's going on 2 weeks and no call back. I can't tell you how pissed I am right now. Oh, and yes, I was offered, accepted and paid $600 for my less than 2yr old 818 receiver and it's now out of commission because it was a "refurb" with a 1yr warranty. I just assumed that Onkyo had got their **** together in that space considering the amount of reported HDMI board issues that they had experienced with the prior generation that I thought it was safe to give them another chance.

Definitely considering moving to the Denon xv - 4000.

Yep,
That really suc*s and not in a good way !! It's like they really don't care about the quality but more concerned with quantity !! I really don't have anything to complain about as mine is working perfect and has been since day one. I follow this thread pretty close and another direct forum. There have been numerous complaints and one would think that Onkyo would have taken care of the HDMI board issues before releasing newer models. I mean it's not like we all paid 200.00 for brand new 809's and or 818's. Somebody needs to be fired and start over by learning from the competition !!!
post #6039 of 6049 Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Add me to the list of customers with a dead TX-NR809.
post #6040 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is why I wont accept a slightly discounted Refurbed 929 as an offer to deal with my POS NR-809.
post #6041 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yup, after 2 trips to a local authorizied service center, mine is now boxed up and ready for a trip to the Corporate Onkyo Offices in NJ.

Being that my HDMI Out #1 issue is intermittent, I am expecting to be disappointed.
post #6042 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked mine up yesterday from the service center. Hooked up last night and it seems to be working better than when I bought it. We'll see how it goes.
post #6043 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Does anyone have a contact that they can provide for Onkyo service. The number that I've called via their website just rings. I've left two messages and no one has called me back (over 2 weeks).

tx,

post #6044 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does anyone have a contact that they can provide for Onkyo service. The number that I've called via their website just rings. I've left two messages and no one has called me back (over 2 weeks).

tx,
Don't bother with calling them. Just email this guy Jose Torres @ jose.torres@us.onkyo.com you will most likely get a better response.
Good luck....
post #6045 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Don't bother with calling them. Just email this guy Jose Torres @ jose.torres@us.onkyo.com you will most likely get a better response.
Good luck....
Ray,

Thanks allot!

post #6046 of 6049 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

my god...i can't even believe this.

so i finally got my receiver back from warranty repair after being gone for over a month.

i get it back now and everything seems fine. little did i realize that there is absolutely no sound out of the front right speaker. it won't recognize the speaker it seems.

i haven't read much about this problem anyone else have it?

i feel helpless at this point.
post #6047 of 6049 Old Today, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ray,

Thanks allot!
No problem !! Just make sure you have your purchase receipt and serial number as he will need those.
post #6048 of 6049 Old Today, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipton View Post
my god...i can't even believe this.

so i finally got my receiver back from warranty repair after being gone for over a month.

i get it back now and everything seems fine. little did i realize that there is absolutely no sound out of the front right speaker. it won't recognize the speaker it seems.

i haven't read much about this problem anyone else have it?

i feel helpless at this point.
Double check your speaker connections, inserted good and tight. Red on Red and Black on Black in and out from speaker to receiver.
If you are sure those are correct then try a reset.
Good Luck.
post #6049 of 6049 Old Today, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
No problem !! Just make sure you have your purchase receipt and serial number as he will need those.
Yep, I have that information in email, plus they should have my file on record from my prior transaction with the replacement of my old 809. Thanks again!! I will report back here if/when I hear from Jose/Onkyo, etc.

Roy

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page