"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6091 of 6113 Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sunday night my TX-NR809 took a crap (no sound). I tried doing a "factory reset". nothing!
So yesterday I started googling and to my surprise find all of these "HDMI issue/no sound" threads for the 809. YAY!!!!
So I see Jose is the go to guy.
What do I need when contacting him, serial number??
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6113 Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Liked: 12
I bought my Receiver back in '09 (HT-RC180) & this past week I had my first problems with Audio not coming on at start up. My receiver is obviously out of warranty.
I considered using the Ebay guy to fix the problem, but had heard that his fix may only be temporary & when I asked him about what he replaces exactly he failed to respond. So that was a red flag for me.
I contacted Onkyo & was told that they would perform service on the unit free of charge. They even mail out a prepaid shipping box!
If you are having a problem with one of these units made '09-'12 & are having audio or network connection issues then I would highly recommend simply contacting Onkyo Parts & Service Dept. (201) 785-2600 & see if they will repair yours as well. Don't bother sending an email, because I never got a response & after 2 weeks I just called & was directed to the proper channel.

You can probably just go to the below link & bypass customer service altogether. Hope this helps.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

Quote:
Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

Ray77085 likes this.
post #6093 of 6113 Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy_Haynes View Post
In hindsight, I would for them to send a tracking number because I was out of town on vacation and came home (Sunday) to find my receiver on my front stoop. No idea if it had been there since Friday.
Hey !!
Congrats on getting the unit back and thankfully UN harmed !!! No crank it up and enjoy !!!

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #6094 of 6113 Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7V7N View Post
If you are having a problem with one of these units made '09-'12 & are having audio or network connection issues then I would highly recommend simply contacting Onkyo Parts & Service Dept. (201) 785-2600 & see if they will repair yours as well.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php
As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

Thanks for such an excellent post as I had no idea that they will continue to repair out of warranty units until 2018 !!!! WOW, now that is impressive to me and I now have a piece of mind should mine fail.
Thanks again !!!!

Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
post #6095 of 6113 Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I can confirm they will fix the dead HDMI board at no cost regardless of warranty status. I got mine fixed in April of '14 and bought the unit in Aug of '11. I've had no issues with it since getting it back. The new board acts a little bit differently, there's a new message on startup and the OSD shows the ONKYO logo, and it seems to take a little longer to boot, but all in all I'm happy with the work they did.

I contacted them through one of the many many threads on the Onkyo website regarding this problem. They emailed me promptly, told me where to take it for warranty work and that was that. No hassle at all.

Sheep

Last edited by JustaSheep; 08-21-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Had wrong date for when my unit went bad.
post #6096 of 6113 Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

Thanks for such an excellent post as I had no idea that they will continue to repair out of warranty units until 2018 !!!! WOW, now that is impressive to me and I now have a piece of mind should mine fail.
Thanks again !!!!
Ray,

So if I read this correctly, if we own a receiver that was repaired due to one of the covered issues, then our warranty would be extended through 2018, correct?? Also, we don't need to do anything special to obtain warranty? I ask because as you know, I just received my receiver back after repair for "NO SOUND", and I wasn't informed of this warranty extension offer.

As always, thanks for the information.

To Infinity and Beyond!!!
post #6097 of 6113 Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ray,

So if I read this correctly, if we own a receiver that was repaired due to one of the covered issues, then our warranty would be extended through 2018, correct?? Also, we don't need to do anything special to obtain warranty? I ask because as you know, I just received my receiver back after repair for "NO SOUND", and I wasn't informed of this warranty extension offer.

Hey Leroy,
I don't think they mean they will cover an out of warranty unit that has been repaired for the faulty/bad chip "once" already and then extend it to 2018. But you could be right as I really don't know what was covered under the limited warranty and the length !! I think what they are saying is (example- my 809 has not failed as of to date 08/20/214, but fails due to the faulty chip/HDMI board in the year of 2017 then they will make the one time repair).
Now let's say you just received your unit from repair and the HDMI board fails again next week then I'm not sure how they would handle that.
Now on the other hand folks who purchased the actual extended warranty plan, then they should be covered until the plan expires no matter how many times it fails.
I suppose this is how it all works, but one could always follow up with ONKYO to be sure.
Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Ray77085; 08-20-2014 at 03:01 PM.
post #6098 of 6113 Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post
That's great!
Mine went out on 8/7. Have not received anything back yet. Hopefully it will be real soon!
Mine showed back up today! 8/7 out, 8/21 return. That's a pretty good turnaround in my mind. I suspect they have all the parts ready to plug in as soon as they get a failed AVR. Will need to open everything up and see how well it did in shipping then test it and sell it. I already bought the Denon AVR-X4000 that seems to have replaced the Onkyo quite nicely. I wonder what I can expect to get out of the Onkyo... Hmmmm....
post #6099 of 6113 Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just added a 180mm laptop cooling pad fan to the top of my 809 and it helps dramatically. It was only around $7-8 on ebay and plugs into the USB port (which turns on with the unit or is switched on with my power center). It also blocks very little of the receiver so if it should fail it won't hurt air flow in any significant way. Note that the USB is normally switched but might be always on if HDMI passthorugh is enabled (I think I remember it not switching before I turned passthrough off).

This only works if you have the receiver on your top rack though because it is a fairly thick fan. For a thinner one the "thin ice" dual 140mm fan unit would also work well but it is around $15...

I peeled the top sticker back and removed the fan so that i could clip the 2 annoying blue LEDs (just make sure to cut the leads short and make sure they aren't touching before you power on). I then put it back together and put the sticker back on and all is good. I also recommend a piece of tape or glue on the power cord so that it doesn't move and hit the fan.

ebay search:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...d+828&_sacat=0

After adding the fan I see a 10-15 degree drop in normal operation. The case is no longer even warm to the touch over the HDMI boards.

-Rich
post #6100 of 6113 Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikid S4teen View Post
Sunday night my TX-NR809 took a crap (no sound). I tried doing a "factory reset". nothing!
So yesterday I started googling and to my surprise find all of these "HDMI issue/no sound" threads for the 809. YAY!!!!
So I see Jose is the go to guy.
What do I need when contacting him, serial number??
Thanks in advance.
Ha! I had the exact same path to enlightenment. Mine shipped back on 8/18. Hope it's home soon.
post #6101 of 6113 Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well. I got my 809 back from Onkyo HQ in NJ, and of course they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Week after I have it back, HDMI Out #1 drops Video, switch over to HDMI Out #2 , it works as expected.

Jose has a Senior Level Tech calling me this AM to see if its a settings related thing, which I know its not as everything worked as expected, then with no new sources added, no menu adjustments or random button pushes, I loose Video out of #1 Out. Additionally I'm using all new HDMI Cables.

I tried a different cable box, no difference, unplugged the PS3 no difference, unplugged the VCR, no difference. The only way it will pass video to the TV is if I swap to Output #2 .....

Heres a question, the last time (Its happened 4-5 times now since board replacement) this intermittent issue happened I carted the AVR to the mancave and hooked it up to the same style HD DVR cable box (Scientific Atlantic 8300HD) and a Sharp TV and it worked....I had thought maybe it was the cable box but when testing that cable box in place of the one upstairs I still had the same issues. This time I haven't to cart the AVR back downstairs but I'm thinking the only variable in the mix downstairs would be a different TV, another Sharp but different model. The bigger question is this, why would a TV effect the HDMI Out #1 ? Upstairs when the 809 Out#1 fails, I just move the HDMI Cable on the back of the AVR to Out#2 and leave everything the same, that HDMI Cable goes to the HDMI Input #1 on the TV. Being that I am not changing the Input Im using on the TV, wouldn't that rule out the TV input as the culprit, yet conversely when the 809 failed intermittently the last time, then worked on a different TV, that would seem to indicate the TV as the issue?

This is such a frigging witch hunt.
post #6102 of 6113 Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 AM

Posted in the HDMI section, reposting here as an update:

I have a weird problem.

I have a Onkyo NR-809 AVR that's had its HDMI Board replaced. Since replacement I have had 4-5 intermittent failures of the HDMI Out #1 on the AVR, it will drop Video to the TV randomly with no changes made what so ever.

Its been back to the Authorized service center and Onkyo's Corporate offices for testing, no one can find an issue.

A week ago I got it back, hooked it up using all new HDMI cables, a week goes by and it wont output video from HDMI Out#1 , I unplug the HDMI cable from Out#1 and plug it into Out#2 and all works flawlessly.

I figure, OK if its not my AVR according to Onkyo, maybe it s a random issue with the Charter Scientific Atlantic 8300HD DVR box, so I swap the living room one out with the one from the caveman, same results, the AVR won't Output from HDMI Out#1 but will from Out#2?

I also tried unplugging the other sources plugged into the AVR (PS3 and VCR), this didn't change anything?

A while back when this happened, and after the board replacement, I brought the AVR down to the mancave using the TV, cable box and cables down there and it worked?, I haven't done this this latest time as I have a TEch calling me from Onkyo, but this is something very curious to me.

Could my issue possible be with my 60" Sharp Aqous? Why or more importantly how would my Sharp HDMI Inputs affect the HDMI Out#1 on my AVR? If the AVR works on a different TV, and with that being the only difference in hooking it all up, that would seem to indicate my TV, yet I can correct the issue by merely swapping to the Out#2 on the AVR, no other changes made? How can, or could the Intermittent failure of of my 809's Out#1 be related to my TV? If it was the TV, why wouldn't HDMI Out#2 also be affected?, it passes video through just fine, using the same cable, and the same input on the TV...

Ownership of this NR-809 has been a huge HUGE headache

Any help or insight you can give would be greatly appreciated

Well the Tech had me do a lot of button presses and different verifications and I am now outputting out of Out#1 (Main) to the Input #1 on TV.

He thinks it has something to do with Sharp Aqous Link Control or something to that effect that eventually causes the issue?

HE also said something about not a strong enough signal perhaps being an issue with the TV\AVR?

I guess I shouldnt complain as its working, but I wish I knew what was broken, set wrong, or what? Ugh
post #6103 of 6113 Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Well. I got my 809 back from Onkyo HQ in NJ, and of course they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Week after I have it back, HDMI Out #1 drops Video, switch over to HDMI Out #2 , it works as expected.

Jose has a Senior Level Tech calling me this AM to see if its a settings related thing, which I know its not as everything worked as expected, then with no new sources added, no menu adjustments or random button pushes, I loose Video out of #1 Out. Additionally I'm using all new HDMI Cables.
This is such a frigging witch hunt.
WOW !!! I feel for you man !! This is really crazy !! Can you send them a video of the issue as it happens ? Doubt that will help, but dang something has to rid the frigging witch hunt !!
Can you test your unit at a friends house or something ?
I would really like to see you get this taken care of and it's not even my unit. (LOL).

post #6104 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 AM

Tech was very helpful over the phone, entered a lot of menus/diagnostics on the AVR I wasn't aware of.

Stupidly, it looks like all issues after the HDMI Board replacement are attributed to my Sharp Aqous TV, specifically RFID and Aqous Link and additionally something about a weak signal between the TV and AVR, though at this point I was kind of lost on all that we had done and what the issues were exactly attributed to. I've asked for the Tech to write me an email explaining what we did, how he isolated the issue, what exactly was causing the issue and how to prevent it or reverse it if it happens again. I have his direct phone number and was told to call in a week, after heavy use of the AVR and all other sources to see how it goes.

Oddly the night before the Tech Call was set up, I come home from work and the AVR was on, I knew I had shut it off prior to work, the family stated they weren't even in the room let alone used the equipment so I was very suspect thinking that the AVR cannot turn itself on, turns out if you have RFID and or Aqous Link this can happen, I guess its an HDMI Compliant Device Control system? Anyways, I am lost on all of this and more so I'm a bit humbled by it as I bashed Onkyo pretty heavily and it turns out the issue was with my other Equipment/Settings. Guess I got overly paranoid after the HDMI Board replacement and thus was conditioned to be looking for a problem with the AVR.
post #6105 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Turn on everything last night and I have no audio from any source. The speaker icons don't display on the front of the AVR and level calibration gives no sound, though it knows which speakers I have and don't have. I'm guessing this is the HDMI board issue people talk about.

If I can't find my proof of purchase or purchase date, what are my options?

Looks like I may be upgrading AVRs sooner than I expected.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #6106 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Tech was very helpful over the phone, entered a lot of menus/diagnostics on the AVR I wasn't aware of.

Stupidly, it looks like all issues after the HDMI Board replacement are attributed to my Sharp Aqous TV, specifically RFID and Aqous Link and additionally something about a weak signal between the TV and AVR, though at this point I was kind of lost on all that we had done and what the issues were exactly attributed to. I've asked for the Tech to write me an email explaining what we did, how he isolated the issue, what exactly was causing the issue and how to prevent it or reverse it if it happens again. I have his direct phone number and was told to call in a week, after heavy use of the AVR and all other sources to see how it goes.

Oddly the night before the Tech Call was set up, I come home from work and the AVR was on, I knew I had shut it off prior to work, the family stated they weren't even in the room let alone used the equipment so I was very suspect thinking that the AVR cannot turn itself on, turns out if you have RFID and or Aqous Link this can happen, I guess its an HDMI Compliant Device Control system? Anyways, I am lost on all of this and more so I'm a bit humbled by it as I bashed Onkyo pretty heavily and it turns out the issue was with my other Equipment/Settings. Guess I got overly paranoid after the HDMI Board replacement and thus was conditioned to be looking for a problem with the AVR.

All of the hell that you put Jose through, when all he was trying to do was help, with your profanity and threats in all of those emails that you sent him. I would think, if I were you, I would send him a very heart felt apologetic email, like NOW !
post #6107 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
All of the hell that you put Jose through, when all he was trying to do was help, with your profanity and threats in all of those emails that you sent him. I would think, if I were you, I would send him a very heart felt apologetic email, like NOW !
Already done.

Classic case of the Equipment being "Smarter" than the user. However, how settings randomly change, how tings randomly stop working, with no effort, still perplex me.
post #6108 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
Turn on everything last night and I have no audio from any source. The speaker icons don't display on the front of the AVR and level calibration gives no sound, though it knows which speakers I have and don't have. I'm guessing this is the HDMI board issue people talk about.

If I can't find my proof of purchase or purchase date, what are my options?

Looks like I may be upgrading AVRs sooner than I expected.
I'm not positive, but I think the extended warranty deal is based solely on serial number, no proof of purchase needed. Can someone else confirm?
post #6109 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
I'm not positive, but I think the extended warranty deal is based solely on serial number, no proof of purchase needed. Can someone else confirm?
I was asked to provide both a copy of the dated sales receipt along with the units serial number.
post #6110 of 6113 Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Ray,

You should ask Jose this question. I wondered about that myself. It clearly states that it refers to only the HDMI issue, but, still, would be good to know ! Should the HDMI repair also fail sometime.
post #6111 of 6113 Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I was asked to provide both a copy of the dated sales receipt along with the units serial number.
I agree. I don't think they are denying anyone since this is such a PR issue. I would just e-mail Jose and tell him your unit died and you don't have your original receipt. Send him pictures of your model and serial number from the back of the unit.

If yours is a unit covered by the earlier recall, should be no issue at all, but it probably would have already died by now if so..

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/product-recall-80305.html
post #6112 of 6113 Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Same here. Even though I told Jose that I was out of warranty, he still asked for my proof of sale, which I was happy to provide since I was getting this repaired for free. And, as above, he also asked for the serial #.
post #6113 of 6113 Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 AM

My unit shipped out on Monday 8/18 and returned on 8/28. Much quicker than I expected.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page