Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 6142 Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well that sucks ... I just entered my S/N for the recall and it came back with:

Thank you
Your product is not concerned and does not require further examination. Thank you for your assistance.

So since my 809 failed I hope that doesn't mean I'm SOL.

Your TX-NR809 is eligible for this program.

We apologize for the inconvenience and are committed to fixing this issue as quickly as possible. There are two options available for you to consider:

-----
Edit: My Fault I was using the UK link for the recall and not the NA link. I entered my S/N in this link and got back

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

We apologize for the inconvenience and are committed to fixing this issue as quickly as possible. There are two options available for you to consider:

OPTION 1: Trade-in your unit through the Trade-in/Mail-in Rebate Program
OPTION 2: Return your unit to the Special Program Repair Center for free repair

Last edited by Barn01; 09-16-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6142 Old 09-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Good luck and I hope all go's well !!!
Thanks!
So yesterday, my Bday, FedEx shows up at my door without me expecting anything, it's my AVR!
WOOT!
Most importantly, everything is working....so far.
post #6123 of 6142 Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikid S4teen View Post
Thanks!
So yesterday, my Bday, FedEx shows up at my door without me expecting anything, it's my AVR!
WOOT!
Most importantly, everything is working....so far.
Well, happy belated B-Day !! Congrats's on getting her back in your possession. Now crank her up and enjoy with a piece of mind !!!

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #6124 of 6142 Old 09-17-2014, 05:32 AM

Liked: 11
Hi all,
I've had intermittent audio drop out problems for the last couple of months with the 809 bought in 2010. When switching from TV or Movies, the audio and video dies (all inputs) and I'd have to shut the receiver off and turn it back on to work. Lately, I now have to shut it off and unplug from the electric outlet to get it to work. Twice I had to do a "factory reset" to get it to work. This has happened 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks.

I checked my serial # and it qualifies for the free return/repair option.

My question is, should I enclose a note that tells them my problem is intermittent and the steps I have to take to get it to work or just ship it back with no note.

I'm afraid with no explanation of the problem, nothing will get replaced/fixed because when it first turns on it will probably test out OK.

Return box is due for delivery on Friday 9/19.

Thanks

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #6125 of 6142 Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post
Hi all,
I've had intermittent audio drop out problems for the last couple of months with the 809 bought in 2010. When switching from TV or Movies, the audio and video dies (all inputs) and I'd have to shut the receiver off and turn it back on to work. Lately, I now have to shut it off and unplug from the electric outlet to get it to work. Twice I had to do a "factory reset" to get it to work. This has happened 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks.

I checked my serial # and it qualifies for the free return/repair option.

My question is, should I enclose a note that tells them my problem is intermittent and the steps I have to take to get it to work or just ship it back with no note.

I'm afraid with no explanation of the problem, nothing will get replaced/fixed because when it first turns on it will probably test out OK.

Return box is due for delivery on Friday 9/19.

Thanks
You should not have to unplug reset and all of that mess just to get her to work !!!
So something is definitely wrong !!
Yes Indeed without hesitation I would put the note with the unit. The more info they have the better they can make the assessment for the repair. As some folks have mentioned they have admitted fault on their end and I think they are trying to get creditability back for customers.
I would not run the risk of not sharing the info with them just in case a bimbo ends up trying to trouble shoot and determines nothing is wrong and now you will be playing the ship out ship in game and wasting time.
Good Luck !!

Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
post #6126 of 6142 Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks Ray 77085, good advice. I kinda figured I'd better let em know seeing as how it's an intermittent problem right now....soon to be permanent I would think.

Let's hope they fix her! Shipping date for empty box changed to 9/29 Monday delivery to me in Connecticut.......quick fix n ship pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze. LOL

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #6127 of 6142 Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Unhappy My 809 will not connect to new Netgear AC1900 router

Just bought and set up new Netgear AC1900 router, and it is working great, but my 809 will not connect to the network via the new router. The 809 has reliably connected to my old Linksys WRTG54 router for years now.

The receiver does find the network(Netgear21), but when I put in the password for the router, it says, "connecting", then "connection failed". I am using a USB device, TP-Link TL-WN722N, which plugs into the USB port on the front of the receiver.

Update: just tried again and now the receiver display says, "no access point found", which is strange because it found the network an hour ago.

Does anybody have any experience with such an issue and have any ideas how to get this to connect? Thanks in advance.

post #6128 of 6142 Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Just bought and set up new Netgear AC1900 router, and it is working great, but my 809 will not connect to the network via the new router. The 809 has reliably connected to my old Linksys WRTG54 router for years now.

The receiver does find the network(Netgear21), but when I put in the password for the router, it says, "connecting", then "connection failed". I am using a USB device, TP-Link TL-WN722N, which plugs into the USB port on the front of the receiver.

Update: just tried again and now the receiver display says, "no access point found", which is strange because it found the network an hour ago.

Does anybody have any experience with such an issue and have any ideas how to get this to connect? Thanks in advance.
OK, second update:

I did a hard reset on the 809, and then the TP-Link connected up just fine. Back in business, now listening to SiriusXM online.

post #6129 of 6142 Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 PM

OK,
Packed and shipped the 809 on 9/23 with the free empty box and shipping info, with a note explaining intermittent audio issues.
Hope the HDMI board gets replaced if that's the problem..........

post #6130 of 6142 Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Everybody, I feel your pain. Perhaps I can shed some light but it is up to you to decide how you want to handle your Onkyo problem.

Be aware there are at least two distinct problems being detected in these replies, IMO.

1) HDMI capacitor thermal failure
2) HDMI cold solder failure

The following statements are ONLY my opinions and observations! Please bear in mind, being human (or a close facsimile) I am prone to human error.

I have observed most or maybe all of these failure symptoms personally on multiple units and repaired one of them myself so I am personally confident in my relative accuracy. For the cold solder failure I might have not (yet) experienced, I am passing on here what a quick search of AVS forum teased out.

The first, and most vexing, problem is the (inevitable IMO) heat-induced HDMI capacitor failure that shows up with increasingly frequent intetrmittent failures on the HDMI, encompassing both audio and video problems of all sorts that eventually become permanent, such as:

A/D video upscaler (component/composite input to HDMI output) fails
On-screen display/setup menu fails to display through HDMI
Copy-protected playback (e.g. bluray) freezes
HDMI audio dead and video output corrupted/random noise/no sync (dead)
HDMI remote device controls (power on, input switching) unpredictable failures

Onkyo has never officially acknowledged this as a design defect to my knowledge although IMO it is clearly a thermal design defect that might cost consumers millions in aggregate. In some cases of very early failure some customers have reported that Onkyo will repair or replace the HDMI board for free if the warranty recently expired, the customer is sufficiently saddened, and the service representative is sufficiently empathetic, or when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars?

These failures come and go seemingly at random and, at first, just switching the input selector away and back to the problem input can temporarily fix it, as can calling up and dismissing the on-screen setup menu, re-plugging or plugging the component into an alternate HDMI input or using an alternate component on the same input or 'resetting' the unit. The temperature in the ambient environment can also affect the problem. Eventually the problem becomes permanent and affects the entire HDMI function.

All of these problems usually stem from noisy power supply on the HDMI board due to the low-temperature rated (commercial-grade as opposed to mil spec) surface-mount electrolytic power supply filter capacitors being cooked with too much heat dissipation from ICs on the HDMI board and no heat sinking or fans to cool the chips/board.

Any repairs with original equipment (Onkyo, are you listening?) will almost certainly fail again over time unless modifications are made to either the way the unit is used (inside a refrigerator? in a very cold climate? in front of a desk fan?) or the way it is constructed.

These HDMI failures are well-documented here on AVS Forum and on Youtube and ebay and the Onkyo technical bulletin from the TX-SR606 HDMI capacitor failure has been leaked to the Internet. DIY repairs/modifications noted here at AVS include replacing the failed capacitors, changing the capacitors with higher-temperature rated and/or leaded capacitors that stand off the board (to improve the grade of capacitor and/or reduce thermal conductivity from the board to the capacitor), and installing custom heat sinking on the ICs and/or constantly running cooling fans inside/on top of the case to keep the board (and its capacitors) cooler.

I removed five of the capacitors on my TX-SR606 and replaced them with forty-year-old 'surplus store' leaded capacitors with double the voltage rating and approximately ten times the physical size, that had been kicking around in my junk box since I was a kid. I used the instructions I found on Youtube and a personal web page that had a copy of the leaked Onkyo technical repair bulletin for the TX-SR606.

Note that in order to perform the repair safely, before removing the HDMI board two pins on the board must be soldered together to prevent static discharge from blowing the board. The pins are clearly marked on the board of at least some units. I did not know this at the time and may have permanently fried the upscaler and on-screen menu function.

Note that in some cases, the upscaler and on-screen menu will not recover after replacing capacitors on the HDMI board, indicating that capacitor failures on the analog video board may also be a factor, or perhaps the ESD vulnerable pins were not soldered before the board was removed.

These HDMI power supply filter capacitor failures cause loss of signal integrity from noisy local regulated power supplies on the HDMI when the electrolytic filter capacitors become so degraded they no longer filter power supply ripple effectively. The failures start out intermittently when random bit errors or bursts cause data corruption. For example, if the copy protection encryption key handshake gets a bit error and the key returned by your television becomes corrupted/invalid, blu-ray playback instantly freezes until the connection is reset, then it freezes again some time later.

The second failure, I have no personal experience with as far as I know, although I might already be having it intermittently on my TX-NR929 (or maybe it is something else causing intermittent loss of audio such as bit errors in the audio packets from the capacitor failure). I did read up on it here on AVS Forum though so I have some information to pass on.

It is apparently related to cold solder on the BGA balls of a DSP chip on the HDMI board and may appear suddenly as a hard failure due to thermal expansion/contraction breaking the contact of the balls from the PCB.

This failure is also intermittent in some cases and permanent in others, probably depending on if the broken balls are making intermittent contact or if a subset of parallel-connected power supply/ground balls has lost contact and compromised power supply integrity inside the chip. Ambient heat could be a factor, as can time duration since last powered up. External component factors such as connected devices or network are unlikely to affect this failure. It appears that the affected DSP handles both audio and network functions and is euphemistically referred to by Onkyo as a 'defective network chip' ostensibly blamed on a supplier as opposed to a manufacturing defect by Onkyo.

They probably had a batch of DSP chips with defective solder balls, a flux quality/application problem, or incorrect reflow setting on the oven, either temperature or duration setting.

My guess is, Onkyo management are becoming sensitive to the HDMI capacitor thermal failure mode and desperately seeking a 'quick fix' to reduce its frequency since it is such a black eye. Probably, they experimented with different fluxing etc. and/or reduced the oven temperature or duration (or both) to try to reduce the initial thermal shock to the affected capacitors, and created a cold solder situation in the process.

I have contacted Onkyo to request they repair their (IMO) defective HDMI thermal design and I presume others have also. Probably they have people reading these AVS Forum postings and seeing my critical comments along with others. I have been more pointed and vocal and analytical, a real PITA, so maybe this cold solder situation is my fault despite my lack of authority and influence and prestige? Or maybe I give meself too much credit for my influence.

This speculation of mine is of course purely a guess, but if I were an amoral CEO looking for a low/no-cost quick fix with no short-term impact on the quarterly financial results or stock price, this sort of mucking around with the soldering is the type of boneheaded solution I would squeeze out of my quivering manufacturing engineers, rather than redesigning a congested backplane to make room for more cooling or using higher grade of capacitors. Reducing the applied thermal energy would definitely affect the reliability of larger components (such as the DSP chips) more because they have more thermal mass and take longer to heat up. This would also be more problematic with the lead-free ISO requirement since lead-free solder is more difficult to reflow but that is old news now that everyone has gone lead-free long ago.

I have expressed my opinion on AVS Forum that the decision to drop Audyssey is also probably related to the congested thermals on the backplane and the need for additional DSP power for Atmos object-oriented sound format. Something would have to go if there is only room for so much dissipation back there.

Perhaps the balls on the supplied chips were defective, or maybe all my second-hand information is totally wrong. I may be full of puckey on this issue.

I have personally participated in such maneuvers on products I helped design, including one high-speed multi-lane serial interface we farmed out to a contractor that failed with random bit errors due to pushing the speed above the silicon process spec and having a slightly too-heavily loaded clock net. The 'solution' was to crank up the local power supply voltage to the absolute top operating limit, put additional capacitors around the IC, and develop worst-case test vectors that screened out parts likely to fail (approximately a 40% yield hit).

Mucking around with it ended up taking longer to fix and more expensive redesigns than just reducing the loading on the affected clock net with a simple relayout, IMO. Then again, I did not look over the affected block personally so maybe it was just too difficult to fix, especially since the contractor was already released. Maybe we were designed into a corner, just like Onkyo may be designed into a corner.

I protested the decision but I developed new test vectors anyway. I eventually had to write a vector that ran repetitive partial chip resets at-speed, something that never happens in actual use but that loads on-chip power supply dramatically and teased out the failure mode from marginal parts by dousing the on-chip power supply and corrupting the clock signal, thus glitching the parallel-to-serial shift register, and desynchronizing the data stream, making the parallel bits either flip state or develop a permanent shift to the wrong serial lanes, a malfunction that persisted until the serial interface was reset.

I was also the harbinger of bad news to the engineering lab. Apparently management was playing this one close to the chest but nobody bothered to tell me so of course when they finally put me (back) on the case I blabbed to the hapless validation engineer who was sitting in the lab frustrated. I took his ire gracefully when he learned the truth. He had been staring at corrupted data for months and playing around with bypass capacitors trying to diagnose it in isolation.

I had already diagnosed this failure in digital simulation before chip tapeout months prior but management told me it was a 'simulation artifact' according to our PhD. The IC test engineers had turned off the monitoring of that particular interface when they saw garbage out. We never detected the failure in the lab until that more advanced mode of operation was finally being checked in prototype circuit boards. When another PhD finally confirmed my digital simulation diagnosis in analog simulation I was vindicated but no one thanked me for my efforts to prevent the fiasco or my developing a crucial part of the workaround.

Note the company was already in the process of being sold at the time so management really did not care what we did to band-aid it as long as we did not affect the schedule. This was one of two known design defects in the chip introduced by contractors (the other was a bandgap voltage reference thermal failure from a nonsensically connected 'spurious' transistor), both issues originally detected and diagnosed by me, both worked around rather than repaired with a simple redesign.

These sort of design issues occur all the time and the challenge is detecting them and fixing them before they develop too much inertia.

When I see Onkyo apparently engaging in these sorts of band-aid approaches and not even being as effective as my former employer was in solving the problems, I have to wonder what the long-term vision of the company is (if it even has one). Lately it seems that corporations get abandoned by their founders and taken over and eaten by predators rather than handed off to long-term caregivers. Then again I am a jaded old bird so maybe I am just overly cynical.

Please note that the Onkyo web intake form for the 'defective network chip' problem seems to include questions referring to symptoms of operator error, external component failures, HDMI capacitor failure, and cold solder failure. For the purposes of this 'non-recall recall' (one-time warranty extension to repair cold solder?), your answers to the questions may affect whether you are offered a free repair. Presumably if you have both symptoms of HDMI capacitor failure and also cold solder failure, they will repair or replace your HDMI board for free, but if you also have clear symptoms of operator error checked off (or no symptoms of cold solder) they might assume you are just neurotic or experiencing a 'non-covered' capacitor failure.

How they handle intermittent failures they cannot reproduce depends on the technician doing the servicing, if he/she applies heat and cold spray and mechanical stress (bending/twisting the PCB) or on the phase of the moon.

Intermittent failures can be difficult to reproduce. Some technicians may assume failure where none is evident and change out the board, and some may just ship the receiver back NTF (no trouble found). Some might diagnose and repair only capacitor failure even though there is undetected cold solder, or vice-versa. I do not know if Onkyo unconditionally authorizes free repair in advance or retroactively adjusts the charges if no 'defective network chip' failure is found. Depends. You pays your money and takes your chances.

My recommendation is to prepare your short and simple speech in advance and call Onkyo rather than using the web intake form.

You might get better service if you fit their 'parameters', especially if you stress that the failure is highly intermittent and might not be reproducible. Maybe then the tech will have mercy on you, if the customer service rep actually forwards your comments. It might be better to hand-deliver your unit to a local repair center and bring a printout of my comment, although if your tech has already repaired a couple of these he/she is likely familiar with the relevant issues already (although probably disinclined to discuss it openly with you).

OK now that I analyzed it to death for you, good luck. Some enterprising individuals have offered unauthorized repairs on ebay at cut-rate prices, but I would steer clear unless you get no satisfaction from Onkyo and cannot competently DIY the repair in person.

I recommend that everyone who is personally affected by Onkyo HDMI issues send a registered letter to 'CEO of Onkyo corporation' expressing your disappointment with the quality of their products, particularly the alleged thermal management design defect of the receiver backplane.

Last edited by CherylJosie; 09-23-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
post #6131 of 6142 Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I was the rep who assisted you over the phone. I am glad to have provided assistance to you and show it was NOT the NR 809; have you contacted Sharp regarding this issue?
post #6132 of 6142 Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hello CherylJosie;

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

After reading your extensive post- you have researched and fell victim to some erroneous information and we would simply like to assist you with yourTX-SR 606, if still in possession. Now that we are present on AVS forums- customers like yourself can simply email us and we will review the correspond back with you promptly. This will reduce the need for extended posts and provide the best support for our customers now as well.
post #6133 of 6142 Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just had my 809 repaired back in August for network failure and subsequent "Initializing..." forever message. Luckily I bought an ext warranty and got it fixed up. That expires in 2016 and it's nice to know Onkyo is standing behind their product - which when it is working, it works well.

I got my HDMI board replaced as part of the overall repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6134 of 6142 Old 09-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Got mine back, fixed

So my HDMI board (mainboard, as per repair receipt) was repaired and my Onky is back and seemingly working.

Is the general consensus around here that the repair is permanent, and I can now rely on this thing again?

I've just been picking up conflicting reports of continued problems, even after repair...
post #6135 of 6142 Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
So my HDMI board (mainboard, as per repair receipt) was repaired and my Onky is back and seemingly working.

Is the general consensus around here that the repair is permanent, and I can now rely on this thing again?

I've just been picking up conflicting reports of continued problems, even after repair...

Hello Razrsharp;

You should have NO worries; as we are actively assisting and monitoring all reported issues as presented. As we have done previously; if any further concerns should be addressed- we will promptly do so and inform our customers.

- Onkyo USA Product Support
post #6136 of 6142 Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
They All Fail IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkyoUSA View Post
Hello CherylJosie;

...After reading your extensive post- you have researched and fell victim to some erroneous information
Thank you for the offer to repair the TX-SR606.

Your offer does not apply to a unit purchased used from a private party without original receipt so it is not going to help me.

I acknowledged that I was speculating. Error is inherent in speculation.

Onkyo has apparently acknowledged a 'defective network chip' failure. One of my receivers might be affected, or it might not. I came to this thread looking for answers.

Is Onkyo prepared to release an official statement about the root cause of HDMI capacitor failures that seem to be inordinately prevalent?

An alternative explanation is the 'capacitor plague' that arose in 2002 and supposedly ended in 2010:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The 'capacitor plague' failure mode is accelerated by high temperatures, as are failures among non-counterfeit commercial-grade electrolytic capacitors that are rated for 1000 hours (roughly 40 days) of operation at 85C.

I bought six used Onkyo receivers from people who unloaded their HDMI problems on Unsuspecting Schmuck (tm). I consider that experience proof of a systematic problem. Does Onkyo? Or is it my 'mistake'?

Every single one of my receivers also gets so hot over the HDMI it is actually uncomfortable to hold my hand on the case.

TX-SR805 Review Date November 09, 2007:
"Runs hot... Occasionally drops HDMI signal when exiting setup"
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiv...onkyo-tx-sr805
HDMI DOA. I returned it to the seller.

TX-SR606 Release Date 2008-03-24:
"Massive HDMI Failure Around 12 months"
http://www.bootic.com/onkyo/electron...onkyo-tx-sr606
HDMI DOA. I repaired it using a guide like this:
How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?)

TX-SR706 Release Date 2008-07-22 :
"HDMI switching quit after a couple years use.Runs so hot you could fry an egg on it."
http://www.bootic.com/onkyo/electron...onkyo-tx-sr706
I noticed intermittent failures in the first week of use. They became annoying and eventually it died completely. It is now on my workbench awaiting capacitors.

TX-SR607 Release Date 2009-04-01:http://www.bootic.com/onkyo/electron...onkyo-tx-sr607
Currently having upscaling, menu, and switching problems but still in service.

TX-SR608 Release Date 2010-03-01:
"Power consumption in stand-by with HDMI Pass-through (CEC) is Really High. 28W "
http://www.bootic.com/onkyo/electron...onkyo-tx-sr608

TX-SR609 Release Date 2011-02-01:
"Consumes 28Watt in standby with enabled network control (without HDMI through) "
http://www.bootic.com/onkyo/electron...onkyo-tx-nr609

I had to retrieve the last two model numbers from memory and I could have made a 'mistake' recalling them. What I did not 'mistake' was the fact that all six used Onkyos I purchased each had a bad HDMI board in them.

The seventh unit (TX-NR929, release date 7/26/2013) was refurbished from an authorized vendor, and is what actually led me to this thread. That one briefly drops the audio, intermittently. I am not convinced which component in the system is at fault.

I like Onkyo receivers, especially the features and styling and price. If I could have afforded five of them new I would have considered it.

I had to keep the price around $200 each, on average, to accomplish the task I set out to do. I went over budget a little but I still saved ~65% off retail.

What I am having difficulty with is the apparently poor reliability of HDMI in Onkyo receivers.

Regarding the question, if a repaired HDMI is going to be reliable, well I suppose that depends on whether or not the HDMI implementation is robust.

Is it? Will Onkyo certify that this is a non-issue?
post #6137 of 6142 Old 09-25-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn01 View Post
Well that sucks ... I just entered my S/N for the recall and it came back with:

Thank you
Your product is not concerned and does not require further examination. Thank you for your assistance.

So since my 809 failed I hope that doesn't mean I'm SOL.

-----
Edit: My Fault I was using the UK link for the recall and not the NA link. I entered my S/N in this link and got back

OPTION 1: Trade-in your unit through the Trade-in/Mail-in Rebate Program
OPTION 2: Return your unit to the Special Program Repair Center for free repair
Hi Barn01,

Can you give me the UK link you were unsuccessfully using? I am based in UK.

Thanks
post #6138 of 6142 Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Just got back today and checked my repair order # online....
Onkyo receives the 809 for repair on 9/24
Onkyo ships back out to me the 809 on 9/25
"Modification complete" on the online repair order. Wonder what THAT means? Hope there's a more detailed description in the box!
One day repair??????? Hope she's fixed.
Delivery expected 9/30

post #6139 of 6142 Old 09-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just got back today and checked my repair order # online....
Onkyo receives the 809 for repair on 9/24
Onkyo ships back out to me the 809 on 9/25
"Modification complete" on the online repair order. Wonder what THAT means? Hope there's a more detailed description in the box!
One day repair??????? Hope she's fixed.
Delivery expected 9/30
NICE !!!
It was not long ago when folks had to wait weeks or months to get their units back. Just make sure you put her through the paces when she is all hooked up !!
The 809 is a very nice beast, once fine tuned and one has a good understanding of the features it offers !!

Last edited by Ray77085; 09-28-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #6140 of 6142 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

809 delivered on 9/30 with a new HDMI board. Free shipping both ways and No charge for the repair. Eight day turnaround......kool.
Set up and running well! No issues so far. HDMI switching (handshake) seems to be about the same time wise, NO AUDIO/VIDEO drop-offs yet. None.

Hoping for many more years outta this beast.

Many thanks to this forum and Onkyo.
old corps likes this.

post #6141 of 6142 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
809 delivered on 9/30 with a new HDMI board. Free shipping both ways and No charge for the repair. Eight day turnaround......kool.
Set up and running well! No issues so far. HDMI switching (handshake) seems to be about the same time wise, NO AUDIO/VIDEO drop-offs yet. None.

Hoping for many more years outta this beast.

Many thanks to this forum and Onkyo.
That's good news and very quick turn around !! Now sit back and enjoy with a piece of mind !!

post #6142 of 6142 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sent the first TX-NR809 back, quick turnaround too

Good news:
First TX-NR809 off and back within 2 weeks, installed it on Sunday. Guess they really did change the network card because it now has a different MAC address- needed to make some router DHCP changes- NBD. Packed off the 2nd TX-NR809, and it should get to the repair facility Friday. If the 2nd TX-NR809 follows the timeline, it should ship back to me on Monday, with arrival on Thursday, next week.

Not so good news:
Tonight when turning on the 1st TX-NR809, we had a green screen. A power cycle of the TX-NR809 solved that. I hope this is not a bad omen.

It is a PITA to set up the receiver again, but it was done. Does someone know of a worksheet that has all of the options of all of the menus that could be used as documentation for the configuration? I used POSTIT notes.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page