Forum Jump: 

post #6181 of 6200 Old 11-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrstdude View Post
Is this the type of cable you got? http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I just did the same thing and I'm currently trying to figure out how to get sound back to my speakers and not through my TV. I'm reading in the manual right now and I can't seem to figure out how to select the ARC through my Onkyo...
That looks equivalent to the cable I bought - its just a standard "TOSLINK" or optical cable.

You will have to make changes on both your TV and receiver to route the sound back to the receiver. I don't have the receiver setting memorized but I can double check if you can't get it working.

I DON'T have an ARC TV and am pretty sure to use ARC you need both the TV and receiver to be ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6200 Old 11-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
That looks equivalent to the cable I bought - its just a standard "TOSLINK" or optical cable.

You will have to make changes on both your TV and receiver to route the sound back to the receiver. I don't have the receiver setting memorized but I can double check if you can't get it working.

I DON'T have an ARC TV and am pretty sure to use ARC you need both the TV and receiver to be ARC.
I actually figured out how to activate the ARC setting in the receiver as I have an ARC TV. So, thankfully, I don't need to buy any additional cables. Thanks for your help!
post #6183 of 6200 Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Amazing to me how these units seem to be dropping like flies. Add another one to the pile. Today mine went silent. It first did it on Nov. 3rd but I was hurrying to make an important phone call at the time and I thought not so much of it. After on and off later that day it came back, it was not showing the speaker channel icons on front display making no audio from any type of source, video via hdmi would still work just fine. So not a single issue since the Nov 3rd but today it wouldn't' turn on sound wise at all. And lasted 6 hrs or so. Finally started showing speaker icons again and has sound.

Went through same process went to site entered my serial # and it said congrats you can get repair or $175 off another overpriced unit direct from Onkyo. Anyway so I guess I leave my unit on until the box to ship it in comes.

This is my 2nd failure from Onkyo receiver first was 876 model. Which they refused to fix , amoung first units to have hdmi board issues and they never made it right and took me for $1000 then, now this unit screwing up costing me $800 more from a failed model. I think my time with Onkyo is over, you won't steal from me again.

Anyway SIX years later nice to finally take some kind of action Onkyo albeit to late for many.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #6184 of 6200 Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Amazing to me how these units seem to be dropping like flies. Add another one to the pile. Today mine went silent. It first did it on Nov. 3rd but I was hurrying to make an important phone call at the time and I thought not so much of it. After on and off later that day it came back, it was not showing the speaker channel icons on front display making no audio from any type of source, video via hdmi would still work just fine. So not a single issue since the Nov 3rd but today it wouldn't' turn on sound wise at all. And lasted 6 hrs or so. Finally started showing speaker icons again and has sound.

Went through same process went to site entered my serial # and it said congrats you can get repair or $175 off another overpriced unit direct from Onkyo. Anyway so I guess I leave my unit on until the box to ship it in comes.

This is my 2nd failure from Onkyo receiver first was 876 model. Which they refused to fix , amoung first units to have hdmi board issues and they never made it right and took me for $1000 then, now this unit screwing up costing me $800 more from a failed model. I think my time with Onkyo is over, you won't steal from me again.

Anyway SIX years later nice to finally take some kind of action Onkyo albeit to late for many.
Understand your frustration. But follow link I posted on here last week and get it touch with Jose w/ email provided on this thread. I sent off my receiver on a Sat from Fed Ex and got it back by Thursday. (All w/ prepaid freight from Onkyo).

From first email to Jose to getting back my receiver was only 2 weeks downtime. Frustrating yes, but back up and running now w/ no issues.

Good Luck
post #6185 of 6200 Old 11-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if I can use the Air Port Express with my Zone 2. My book seems to say that zone 2 devices have to be an analog devices. The air Port Express needs a digital input from what I can tell.

Rich
post #6186 of 6200 Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM

Who's jose and how do i contact him?
post #6187 of 6200 Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 AM

TX-NR 809 2nd Zone Question

Hello,
I have tried to connect my 2nd zone to a pair of outdoor speakers. These speakers are 8 ohms, and I have set them as 6 ohm and up in the speaker set up section. When the 2nd zone is activated (powered) I have very little volume out of the speakers. I do have a volume limit switch by the door, however it is turned up all the way. I then tried hooking it up to just the main right/left speakers (Not 2nd zone) and I have lots of volume when wired that way. Is there anything hidden or different I need to do to get volume on the 2nd zone?
Thank you!
post #6188 of 6200 Old 11-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So it's now been at least 3 times that my onkyo 809 goes into "audio-only" mode where no video signal is present on any source. What's worse is that it won't even allow passthrough, which it actually did before i had the HDMI board repaired.

It comes to life again after a soft reset (unplug/reboot) but this seems to be a sign of pending doom, and is highly annoying as my AV gear setup needs to be moved around in order to unplug it (making it difficult for my wife/kids to do it, and you know how that goes).

Am I over-reacting? Should I part ways with this amp (and brand) and move on?
post #6189 of 6200 Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
"When the 2nd zone is activated (powered) I have very little volume out of the speakers. I do have a volume limit switch by the door, however it is turned up all the way."

Set the zone two output to "variable". The default is "fixed" and would be used if you hooked it up to a separate amp.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #6190 of 6200 Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been busy at work and didn't get to post my day-by-day replies, but here is how it went:

The Friday following my post here, the box arrives. I pack up the 809 with the included supplies - they even gave me a roll of packing tape to seal the box! I drop it off at the Fedex store on Monday. It arrives at Onkyo on Tuesday. I thought that would start my 6-8 week waiting period. But, I got a text on Thursday from Fedex saying that I should expect a package on Monday! I had it re-routed to the Fedex Office since it required a signature.

Turns out, the text was wrong - they tried to deliver it on Saturday! If I had been home, I would have gotten it even earlier than I did. But, as it turned out, I picked it up after work Monday. Everything works just as it did on day 1. No hassles at all! I'm very impressed with the effort by Onkyo to fix this for me.
NO1B4ME likes this.
post #6191 of 6200 Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 AM

Liked: 1
I had mine serviced by a local "authorized repair facility" about three miles from my residence. It was two months before I got it back. Apparently the part needed comes from Japan which causes a month delay. Also, the first shipment they got was defective and they had to order another one. This caused another month delay. I think it would have been faster to just ship it directly to the main Onkyo service center.
post #6192 of 6200 Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^Yes, it's a good idea to check with the repair place on their turnaround time. Some places wait a hell of a long time for that board replacement, others don't. The Western repair center in San Diego was turning them around very quickly when I had my repaired a few months ago.

Overall, I have come to really understand and appreciate this AVR. I hear the latest ones are even better, but I am not compelled to upgrade yet. I will probably stick with Onkyo, since I understand it, and unlike rival Denon, it requires less customization out of the box, and is more intuitive.

I would also recommend that anyone facing an expired warranty spend the $75 and extend it. This model does have a couple of chronic issues.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #6193 of 6200 Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo_supporter View Post
Hello Razrsharp;

You should have NO worries; as we are actively assisting and monitoring all reported issues as presented. As we have done previously; if any further concerns should be addressed- we will promptly do so and inform our customers.

- Onkyo USA Product Support
So in addition to sporadic 'no video' issues that are occurring (fixed by soft reset, unplugging unit), my Onkyo is now flickering on HDMI sources, at a frequent rate (every 2-3 minutes). Am I still to be NOT worried? Because I am. I sense a pending disaster with this unit.

Edit: Moved my TV connection over to the HDMI sub out, and flickering seems to be gone. It definitely comes back when port 1 is used though; so I know it's not the TV or my wiring.

Have there been any recent developments to the HDMI board replacement, or is everyone generally satisfied with the repairs?

Last edited by razrsharp; 12-01-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #6194 of 6200 Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

For the past week, I've been having issues with NET as the source. After I pressed the net button nothing would occur. If I unplugged the stereo and plugged it back in, it would work again, but in a different matter. All of the net options (e.g. pandora, spotify, etc) would not appear. The stereo would simply start playing the last selection.

This morning I turned on the stereo and it froze at "Now Initializing." Unplugging doesn't seem to do anything and not of the other sources are working.

Thoughts??
post #6195 of 6200 Old 12-02-2014, 04:28 AM

I have purchased my Onkyo in September 2011. I have used it approx. 3-4 hours weekly and rarely I had to put the volume more than 50-60% of max. I keep it on the top of the sideboard so it is well ventilated and it was never too hot.

I have not experienced bad HMDI board symptoms (yet). Occasionally, there was a loss of connection while using Net or "Initialising" was a bit longer than usual - but nothing that simple switch of and on would not sort out.

My question is whether I should use opportunity (while it is there) and send it to Onkyo for free "repair" in hope that they will put updated HDMI so I do not have problems in the future.

Any thoughts?
post #6196 of 6200 Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 PM

You may as well call and at least try to find out how long they will honor the program for, and mention your network issues. Net and HDMI tend to be the 2 most common complaints (as least from my experience).

But if it were me myself, i would not go replacing HDMI boards that aren't fried yet - I would hope that not EVERY one of these receivers is a dud and this is likely just a % group of angry customers with a common problem.
post #6197 of 6200 Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Ugh so now I've come to realize that while HDMI sub works without flickering, there is no OSD. Can anyone tell me if the OSD be turned on for the HDMI Sub?
post #6198 of 6200 Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
Can anyone tell me if the OSD be turned on for the HDMI Sub?

Hi razrsharp, nope.

The on-screen menus appear only on the a TV that is connected to the HDMI Out Main.

post #6199 of 6200 Old 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My TX-NR809 is having switching problems..The repair shop is saying that ONKYO has indicated to repair soldering in the HDMI and circuit boards but not to replace....Is this normal for a model that is prone to so many issues as indicated in this forum...?
post #6200 of 6200 Old Today, 09:28 AM

Liked: 0
Just sharing my current Onkyo nightmare. I sent my 809 in in the beginning of December for the HDMI issues. I got it back a week later which I was initially very happy about. Attached all my equipment and speakers, powered it on and got the "all channel stereo" on every source with no speakers showing up. I got video on some of the sources but not all and no sound on any of the sources. Also have no network, keeps saying initializing. I spent countless hours trying to get it to work including at least 15 microprocessor resets, changed cables, equipment, speakers, network cables, TV to no avail. The thing is completely useless. Contacted Onkyo a week and a half ago for them to address it. Still waiting for them to send me a new label to ship it back. They have been extremely slow to respond and keep asking me the questions where the answers are in the Email if they just took the time to actually read it. I am beyond frustrated and will likely never buy Onkyo again. I am likely going to just bite the bullet and get a new receiver because at this point, god only knows when I will get this thing repaired correctly. Even if I finally do get it back, I have zero faith in it lasting. Sent another email this morning and still nothing. Going on 6 days since they said they would send me a shipping label.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com