"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 208 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #6211 of 6240 Old 01-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is not an actual "error", rather it is the way Audessey treats 5.1 "surround" output and 7.1 Rear surround processing. Since very little real 7.1 surround content is available, Onkyo and other avr's act similarly, requiring connection of the 5.1 speakers to the surround channels not the "rear surround channels".

Now if you connect another single for a rear surround, attach it to the left rear surround out only, Page 12.
Page 13, while somewhat cryptic, shows a chart where the number of speakers in use need to be attached.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6240 Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember glancing at that but figured since im not using surround, and it shows 2 speaker graphics i could just move them. I'm home for 2 weeks and mamma has a honeydo list but i need to refresh my memory by re-reading the manual.

Thanks for the insight.
post #6213 of 6240 Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I have a Wii (Component + Analog Audio) and an Xbox 360 (HDMI) both connected to the "Game" input on my 809.

When I switch from one to another, it doesn't auto-detect the audio source. I have to go into the AVR's menu and change the Audio Input between Analog and HDMI. With my previous receivers, I have never had to do this. In my living room I have a TX-NR708 with a Wii and PS4 both connected to "Game" and when switching between them I never have to do anything to get audio working. Nor did I back when I had the 360 running through the 708.

Is there something wrong with my 809 or is there something that needs to be set somewhere to correct this?

Last edited by Osirus23; 01-10-2015 at 09:38 PM.
post #6214 of 6240 Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I tried to read this thread...don't see this question addressed...so here we go.

My 809 was purchased in 2011.

Lately I can not seem to get the HDMI switching to work unless I power cycle a few times...meaning it just hangs at NO SIGNAL, even though everything is on.

Sounds like I am having HDMI board issues (or so I think)

However, I got to the site, plug in my serial my serial number and it says your unit is not qualified for a repair now.

Any idea what my issue might be, or am I doing something wrong...thanks in advance!
post #6215 of 6240 Old 01-12-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I watched a movie yesterday afternoon. I went to watch another at night and now I'm getting a "NO SIGNAL" message. I had the HDMI board replaced last March due to no audio. 10 months later and now ne video. I don't think Onkyo is doing anything to fix the problem. They are just replacing the bad HDMI boards hoping the new boards work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
I tried to read this thread...don't see this question addressed...so here we go.

Lately I can not seem to get the HDMI switching to work unless I power cycle a few times...meaning it just hangs at NO SIGNAL, even though everything is on.

However, I got to the site, plug in my serial my serial number and it says your unit is not qualified for a repair now.

Any idea what my issue might be, or am I doing something wrong...thanks in advance!
I plugged my serial number into the site too and it told me mine doesn't qualify for repair too. Don't go by what the site says. If it's broken it qualifies for repair. Onkyo fixed mine out of warranty last year.

Never again will I buy an Onkyo!
post #6216 of 6240 Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had my 809 repaired last May and it was been working fine until last night when there was no hdmi output. It came back after resetting the unit, but I remember the problems starting just like this before the unit was repaired. Anyone else have a repeat? What can I expect Onkyo to do the 2nd time?
post #6217 of 6240 Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTimp View Post
I watched a movie yesterday afternoon. I went to watch another at night and now I'm getting a "NO SIGNAL" message. I had the HDMI board replaced last March due to no audio. 10 months later and now ne video. I don't think Onkyo is doing anything to fix the problem. They are just replacing the bad HDMI boards hoping the new boards work.

I plugged my serial number into the site too and it told me mine doesn't qualify for repair too. Don't go by what the site says. If it's broken it qualifies for repair. Onkyo fixed mine out of warranty last year.

Never again will I buy an Onkyo!
Yeah I TOTALLY AGREE - it is such a mess - they have MAJOR MAJOR issues with all this stuff. I have a 10 year old ONKYO that is FLAWLESS and still working like day one (HDMI as well)

Something went wrong in their MFG and they simply refuse to fix it all...guess all we can do is CONTINUE TO FIGHT THE FIGHT! I just don't have the $$ to toss this away and start over. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it somehow.
post #6218 of 6240 Old 01-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi, I have a question about the headphone jack on the 809. I thought when you plugged in a set of headphones that it cut off the sound to the speakers. When I plug my headphones in they work fine, but sound still comes out of my speakers.

Is there a setting in the setup menu that I need to change so the speakers shut off when the headphones are plugged in?

Thanks

post #6219 of 6240 Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post
Hi, I have a question about the headphone jack on the 809. I thought when you plugged in a set of headphones that it cut off the sound to the speakers. When I plug my headphones in they work fine, but sound still comes out of my speakers.

Is there a setting in the setup menu that I need to change so the speakers shut off when the headphones are plugged in?

Thanks
According to the manual, the speakers should shut off:

Connect a pair of stereo headphones with a
standard plug (1/4 inch or 6.3 mm) to the
PHONES jack.
Note
• Always turn down the volume before connecting your
headphones.
While the headphones plug is inserted in the PHONES
jack, the speakers are turned off. (The Powered Zone 2
speakers are not turned off.)

• When you connect a pair of headphones, the listening mode
is set to Stereo, unless it’s already set to Stereo, Mono,
Direct, or Pure Audio.
• If you connect an iPod or iPhone to the USB port on this
device, no sound will be output from the headphones jack.
post #6220 of 6240 Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
According to the manual, the speakers should shut off:

Connect a pair of stereo headphones with a
standard plug (1/4 inch or 6.3 mm) to the
PHONES jack.
Note
• Always turn down the volume before connecting your
headphones.
While the headphones plug is inserted in the PHONES
jack, the speakers are turned off. (The Powered Zone 2
speakers are not turned off.)

• When you connect a pair of headphones, the listening mode
is set to Stereo, unless it’s already set to Stereo, Mono,
Direct, or Pure Audio.
• If you connect an iPod or iPhone to the USB port on this
device, no sound will be output from the headphones jack.
I saw that in the manual and that is why I am concerned. When I plug the headphones in the sound to the speakers does shut off for a second or two and then comes back on.

post #6221 of 6240 Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So I thought my HDMI board failed for a second time. The first time was no audio and Onkyo replaced the HDMI board. This time it was no video but apparently the HDMI board failure only affects the audio and network. Tech support told me to unplug the receiver for at least a minute to clear any static build up. That worked! So for anyone who is loosing a video signal, it is probably just static build up causing the problem and not the HDMI board failure.
post #6222 of 6240 Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTimp View Post
So I thought my HDMI board failed for a second time. The first time was no audio and Onkyo replaced the HDMI board. This time it was no video but apparently the HDMI board failure only affects the audio and network. Tech support told me to unplug the receiver for at least a minute to clear any static build up. That worked! So for anyone who is loosing a video signal, it is probably just static build up causing the problem and not the HDMI board failure.
Video is neither loose nor tight.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #6223 of 6240 Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
And just to make it clear, they are NOT fixing hdmi boards. They are replacing a single defective chip in the recall. The HDMI board issue is from 6 yrs back and up. The recall and sending units back for repair isn't getting hdmi boards replaced, in general anyway. That's why some units are not coming up as qualifying they don't have the defective chip in them at all.

But yea Onkyo still has SERIOUS issues for so many years now I know it's hard to keep track. My 809 they replaced chip in has worked so far but I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see. My older 876 which does has hdmi board issue they just offered me 838 refurb unit for $550. Considering it looking over the 838 forum to see what issues it has now.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #6224 of 6240 Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

My 809 will not connect to any radio stations. I get the error "Server connection could not be established or was terminated early." for every station.

I know its connected to the network because I can access it via a web browser. I have this same problem with both Ethernet and the wireless adapter. I've even tried replacing my router.
Also, the "NET" indicator on the front of the unit is always lit when the receiver is in standby, even with no network cable attached or wireless receiver installed.

Last edited by Osirus23; 01-20-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Maybe AVS could get a working text editor for their site? There sure as heck wasn't any whitespace in this post when I typed.
post #6225 of 6240 Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

My TX-SR606 died years ago, before I bought it used. Onkyo service rep sent me message on this thread to send it to them for repair (I presume free repair), but their repairs under recall only cover units purchased from an 'authorized reseller', someone under contract with Onkyo, and I need the original receipt to prove it.

Since I bought mine used from a private party it is not covered. They might even refuse to repair it because of the lack of an original receipt, under the excuse I might have stolen the thing or something.

Either they have identified popular models like the 606, with lots of disappointed owners, for recall along with the network chip failure, or they just offered me a repair because I made noise here. Dunno, no one disclosed to me why I suddenly got the offer out of the blue and I did presume it would be cost-free.

Maybe you should call them and make noise. Maybe they have so many failed units out there they are in fear of an ambulance chaser hitting them with a class action lawsuit under which Onkyo owners get a $50 check and the ambulance chaser walks to the bank with millions?

All it would take IMO is one person to sue them and some statistical data to back up the suit. My 6 (maybe 7) failed HDMI receivers, possibly 100% failure rate, indicate a systematic problem all on their own. Opening this can of worms seems to me something that Onkyo really, really does not want to do. Even just spending a few thou buuying failed units from Craigslist and Ebay (like I did) could be enough to gain legal standing, provided the original owners agree to testify or be part of a suit.

The stock price could take a hit because if it really is a nearly 100% failure rate within 5 years as I estimate, some as soon as 2 years, and it gets out into the press, sales could plunge, especially if a suit is filed just before Christmas, no doubt a popular tactic to put max pressure on a settlement.

Anyway, even though the recall is for a network chip failure, the symptoms on the checklist include the HDMI capacitor failure too. Maybe they are open to taking your unit as part of the recall but I think you need to speak to a human being not a web form in order to get your foot in the door.

The way I see it, Onkyo has been screwing people for years manufacturing HDMI boards they must know fail prematurely. They owe you, whether your particular unit failed prematurely in their eyes or not, simply because of that one mitigating factor in your favor that they must have known there was a problem because it spans so many years and models and occurs so early in so many units, as demonstrated in my own sample of 7 units.
post #6226 of 6240 Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1530281-onkyo-tx-nr-809-similar-models-hdmi-board-failure-poll.html#post24764239

Please see the poll above. While not 100%.... Have failed, it does show that there is issues.

Last edited by ltd76gold; 02-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.
post #6227 of 6240 Old 02-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 118
keeps dropping internet when using internet radio - any ideas?? has Ethernet connection - keeps saying "now initializing" - every thing else connected Bluray, HDTV work fine!!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; 02-14-2015 at 07:36 AM.
post #6228 of 6240 Old 02-14-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
keeps dropping internet when using internet radio - any ideas?? has Ethernet connection - keeps saying "now initializing" - every thing else connected Bluray, HDTV work fine!!
Have you had the network chip repair done?

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
post #6229 of 6240 Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post
No and I have an extended warranty until 4/16 - checking now to see if the problem is unique to "VTuner" - have been streaming Pandora "wireless" - disconnected ehthernet plugged in adapter and so far so good (1/2 hour) - will keep folks updated.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #6230 of 6240 Old 02-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thanks for the link - have been streaming Pandora with no problem - appears it might be the VTuner channel - have had some problems with it in the past - lets see what happens!

post #6231 of 6240 Old 02-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
kept dropping internet on Vtuner - followed link to Onkyo Website - simple process - got confirmation e-mail about repair - will be sending fed-ex box to ship for repair!

Does anyone know the turnaround time//

have TX-SR508 in bedroom I could use temporarily if repair takes weeks!

Last edited by bob brennan; 02-15-2015 at 01:51 PM.
post #6232 of 6240 Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
kept dropping internet on Vtuner - followed link to Onkyo Website - simple process - got confirmation e-mail about repair - will be sending fed-ex box to ship for repair!

Does anyone know the turnaround time//

have TX-SR508 in bedroom I could use temporarily if repair takes weeks!

I just had the repair done on my 809 and the entire process took 8 days. Sent it to Onkyo on a Thursday and received it back the next Friday.
post #6233 of 6240 Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just had the repair done on my 809 and the entire process took 8 days. Sent it to Onkyo on a Thursday and received it back the next Friday.
thank you - had read some other posts that also say they have a fast turn around time!

post #6234 of 6240 Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thank you - had read some other posts that also say they have a fast turn around time!
Received the FEDEX box this AM - packed up receiver - FedEx will p/u tomorrow - will let you know when receiver is repaired

PS: Classy, they actually included a roll of packing tape - classy!!

post #6235 of 6240 Old 02-25-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well my 809 just took a dump, everything would come on but no audio, no audio over HDMI, analog in, or even doing the channel level test.

Called onkyo and they are sending me out a box, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get back.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 809
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #6236 of 6240 Old 02-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Received the FEDEX box this AM - packed up receiver - FedEx will p/u tomorrow - will let you know when receiver is repaired

PS: Classy, they actually included a roll of packing tape - classy!!
Unit arrived @ Onkyo in Lake Grove IL - on Fri 2/27/2015 11:03 am - Lets see what the turn around time is?

post #6237 of 6240 Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unit arrived @ Onkyo in Lake Grove IL - on Fri 2/27/2015 11:03 am - Lets see what the turn around time is?
Amazing - received on 2/27 (a Friday) repaired and on FedEx truck on Monday 3/2 @3:18pm - scheduled delivery is for Wednesday 3/4

post #6238 of 6240 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Amazing - received on 2/27 (a Friday) repaired and on FedEx truck on Monday 3/2 @3:18pm - scheduled delivery is for Wednesday 3/4
They should be getting pretty good at it, they've repaired enough!
post #6239 of 6240 Unread Today, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
They should be getting pretty good at it, they've repaired enough!
Practice must make perfect - was in & out (allowing for weekend) in 24hours - received on the 4th @ 10:31am - took advantage of more snow and reinstalled today - all is well.

Had unit for 3 years with no problems so I am sort of a "Happy Camper" again.

post #6240 of 6240 Unread Today, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
[QUOTE=bob brennan;32358089]Practice must make perfect - was in & out (allowing for weekend) in 24hours - received on the 4th @ 10:31am - took advantage of more snow and reinstalled today - all is well.

Had unit for 3 years with no problems so I am sort of a "Happy Camper" again.[/QUOTE

Outstanding!

Ed
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page