"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 209 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6241 of 6270 Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink Please help me Drive 6 speakers same music on TX-NR809

All,

I need to re-purpose my receiver. I want to use it for a bathroom and have 6 speakers playing music (no-surround). How would you recommend I set it up?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6270 Old 03-08-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Set it on a shelf near the tub. When somebody is in your tub that you have issues with (and perhaps is reaching for your ppk), knock it into the tub.

Should work as well as a heater... a sparkling theater, so to speak.

Doug k
post #6243 of 6270 Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question HDMI audio from TV?

Hi

I have HDMI out going to my plasma TV. I thought there was the ability for the audio from the TV to travel to AVR if I'm watching OTA channels. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks!

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #6244 of 6270 Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF View Post
Hi

I have HDMI out going to my plasma TV. I thought there was the ability for the audio from the TV to travel to AVR if I'm watching OTA channels. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks!
your correct - it's called ARC (Audio Return Channel)

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #6245 of 6270 Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah but where is the setting?? I just poured over the setup menus of the Onkyo yet again and couldn't find it.

post #6246 of 6270 Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Ah but where is the setting?? I just poured over the setup menus of the Onkyo yet again and couldn't find it.
It is on page 61 of the user manual under Audio Return Channel.
GregF likes this.
post #6247 of 6270 Old 03-15-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I took me awhile to get that working. I don't remember the details but I had to set multiple things on both the TV and the receiver.
post #6248 of 6270 Old 03-22-2015, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The other day my 809 stopped playing audio through HDMI, but the picture was fine. I tried FM and radio work fine as well. I unplugged it and waited a few mins and plugged it back in. I had to do that for a couple of days and then the "work around" stopped working. I did a factory reset and that didn't get it working again either. I almost connected my old 803 and decided to try the 809 before I unconnected everything and it has been working since. I didn't do anything different, it just started working again.

What issue am I looking at with my 809 and audio not playing as it should over HDMI?
Is it the HDMI board, or something else? If it is the HDMI board, what is the cost to repair?

Thanks

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."
post #6249 of 6270 Old 03-22-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The other day my 809 stopped playing audio through HDMI, but the picture was fine. I tried FM and radio work fine as well. I unplugged it and waited a few mins and plugged it back in. I had to do that for a couple of days and then the "work around" stopped working. I did a factory reset and that didn't get it working again either. I almost connected my old 803 and decided to try the 809 before I unconnected everything and it has been working since. I didn't do anything different, it just started working again.

What issue am I looking at with my 809 and audio not playing as it should over HDMI?
Is it the HDMI board, or something else? If it is the HDMI board, what is the cost to repair?

Thanks

Here's your solution Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

After you get it repaired for FREE send me a check!

BTW, this is right at the top of the audio section under "stickies". You can't miss it............well, I guess you can!

Yer welcome!

Ed
post #6250 of 6270 Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbusby View Post
It is on page 61 of the user manual under Audio Return Channel.
How could i miss it? Repeatedly! Thank you. Now I'm set up.

post #6251 of 6270 Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Here's your solution Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

After you get it repaired for FREE send me a check!

BTW, this is right at the top of the audio section under "stickies". You can't miss it............well, I guess you can!

Yer welcome!

Ed
Damn I guess I bought that extended warranty for nothing!

post #6252 of 6270 Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Damn I guess I bought that extended warranty for nothing!
Not really - I also bought the extended warranty. It wasn't that expensive and when I s/w Onkyo they stated that the extension only covers this one issue! Nothing else!
GregF likes this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #6253 of 6270 Old 04-05-2015, 04:50 AM

Liked: 0
Hi,

I own a txnr809 since 09/2011 and a couple of weeks ago it started to not playing sound on start.
I had to wait like 20minutes and switch between TV and VCR entries before it start playing sound again.

Now, this trick doesn't seems to work anymore.
I still get HDMI display out, but no sound at all on the speaker connected to the 809, and when i use "INFO" to display audio information about the source i'm using, it says "unknown audio", wathever file i'm using (DTS or Dolby or even Stereo).
The speaker icons on the 809 stay off while they are all correctly plugged in.

I tried the factory reset but it's still failing.

I tried the RMA Form linked in this topic for the no sound problem, but after entering the S/N it said me that my unit wasn't concerned by this problem (oh really??)

Do you think it's the same broken HDMI board problem or something else ?
Pretty disappointed by now.
post #6254 of 6270 Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 AM

I would just call Onkyo and explain your situation. It sounds pretty muck like the same problem I had and I got mine repaired receiver back last Monday. Onkyo has really stepped up to the plate by taking full responsibility for this manufacturing issue.
post #6255 of 6270 Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo_supporter View Post
Hello Razrsharp;

You should have NO worries; as we are actively assisting and monitoring all reported issues as presented. As we have done previously; if any further concerns should be addressed- we will promptly do so and inform our customers.

- Onkyo USA Product Support
This is false. here is my story,

I purchased a SR707 receiver beginning of 2010 for $500. Worked great for about 2 years and then it would lose sound intermittently. The tricks I found on forums worked at first .. power on/off, switch between sources, factory reset and soft reset. The issue grew more and more frequent and eventually the tricks couldn't fix it. I contacted Onkyo support and because it was 40 days outside of the 2 year warranty (reading these posts seems like 18 - 28 months is the average failure rate) they in a nutshell said tough luck. Well being pretty upset that my lightly used Onkyo receiver died after 2 years, I didn't like their initial response and escalated within their support dept. I had to jump through hoops .. writing and faxing a letter requesting a 45 warranty extension and sending my sales receipt. I got word back that they approved my warranty extension and was instructed to send the receiver to a Onkyo service center. I unhooked everything and made the drive to the out of the way service center (Onkyo didn't provide free shipping at this time so I figure driving would be cheaper/faster). Left it with them and they said it should be ready for pick up in a week, maybe two. Damn, this isn't going to be quick. I get a call from the service center after a week and a half and they say they don't have the part they need have to wait for Onkyo to send it to them. I'm patient so ok. I pick up my unit 3 weeks from when I dropped it and I'm just happy to have my receiver working again. I wish this was the end..

8 months later, I notice the sound dropping. Again, intermittently then more and more frequent. 1 month later it's permanent. **** me, right? Deal with support, they give me the run around. It's out of warranty. I could try dropping it off at the service center again but I would have to pay for service, wait 3 weeks, and the problem might not be solved again. Huge hassle. I go a couple months doing nothing, I move to a new place and figure, screw it, I got the one lemon, Onkyo is a great brand and pony up another $600 and go with their newer model, the NR717. Whatever issue that plagued the 707, surely it was fixed with the newer version, right? So March 2013 I purchase the 717 and hook it up in my new place. I'm so frustrated with my old 707 that I chuck it in the trash during the move. The 717 worked great. I wish my story ended here.

Just last week 4/2015, I hit the EXACT same issue as before. WTF. I go online, I see the the special "Customer Care Program" - I punch my 717's S/N in and it's affected. Just for giggles I punch my old 707 S/N in and its eligible for the program too! So imagine that. I went through hoops to get them to extended the warranty, they try to fix it, it breaks again, tell me, sorry, now's its really out of warranty, and we can't help you.. The whole time, knowing this is a CHRONIC problem with a huge number of receivers. Give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they couldn't connect the dots and identify the pattern for a couple years .. they had my email and phone number.. wouldn't they want to inform me that the product I've been having serious issues with is now part of a massive recall? No, my guess is, they thought this was a small issue at first. Most of the time the issues would pop up after the 2 year warranty so not giving out of warranty support was their default response.. and quite frankly, the majority of people that ran into issues probably wouldn't go to support after the warranty expired. Well, that helped out a little bit, but more and more of these sound/network failures started popping up, not just across one model, but across multiple platforms. This was now a HUGE customer satisfaction issue for them. They actually lucked out because of the nature of product reviews, rarely does anyone review something 2 years after purchase date .. and their receivers were rock solid for the first year. They had internal meetings to determine what to do to minimize any damage to their reputation while maintaining and maximizing profits and they came up with the special "Customer Care Program" for streamlined service of the systems and minimize PR damage. Oh and the rebate program .. the 2 systems I spent $1100 on for them to FAIL after 2 years .. I can get $275 rebate, which is less than 1/3 of the cost of a comparable receiver. And the suit that came up with that program I can hear him now .. "we can give them a small rebate so they upgrade to our new/more expensive models where we will still make profit on. We can turn this faulty card nightmare into more revenue!" Gold star for that guy.

Onkyo folks - if you are still checking these forums: you screwed up with that faulty card. This is part is OK, people understand that products can't be 100% perfect. The part that is not OK is how you handled this issue for years before communicating any type of responsibility. Your "Customer Care Program" - for the customers that will find it - is probably sufficient for 70% of the people having these issues. And I really, really, hope that your streamed-lined repair service offers a permanent and not a temporary fix..although judging for my experience and some of the recent responses, it's not looking good. As individual consumers you have probably dealt with this issue and your good brand will live on. But taken as an aggregate - all the data points that you can see internally- I'm guessing any lawyer specializing in class action suits or product recalls would salivate after the first round of discovery. The options you have given me in your "Customer Care Program" involve me either putting my trust in Onkyo for the 4th time, which I will not do. Or spending more money with Onkyo for the 2nd time, due to your product issue, which I will not do. Respectfully, you have lost a loyal customer and I will tell others about my experience with your products.

My S/Ns are below, if you feel compelled to reach out to me with other options that eliminate my cost, risk, hassle.
0876DC6980028353
1053DC2311021097
post #6256 of 6270 Old 04-19-2015, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I seem to be getting a very loud hiss from my Monitor Audio spearker. It is only happening with the right surround speaker. I switched them out...same thing. Switched out speaker cables, again, no change. This is happening even when the receiver is in stand by mode. Any ideas what might be happening here?
post #6257 of 6270 Old 05-03-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Zone 2 Volume with Secondary AMP (AVR)

So I've tried, and I know it is possible (or I think it is)

I have zone 2 pre-outs going to a second AVR to power a set of outdoor speakers.

I want to use my Remote App to control the main AVR (809) instead of running up and down the stairs to control the volume on the secondary AVR.

I know I got this working while testing, but now that I am finally finished, for the life of me I can't figure out what I am doing wrong...any insights would be appreciated.
post #6258 of 6270 Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Go to setup menu on avr.
Press 7 Hardware setup
Press 2 Multi Zone
Select the zone you wish to control from the phone.
Switch Out to Variable.

Now I set the power on max volumn to 0db and the power on volumn to -30db

Set the power amp to about mid or slightly more.

Now you can control the volume from the app

Doug k

Last edited by ltd76gold; 05-03-2015 at 01:24 PM.
post #6259 of 6270 Old 05-03-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Go to setup menu on avr.
Press 7 Hardware setup
Press 2 Multi Zone
Select the zone you wish to control from the phone.
Switch Out to Variable.

Now I set the power on max volumn to 0db and the power on volumn to -30db

Set the power amp to about mid or slightly more.

Now you can control the volume from the app

Doug k

great thanks...now if I can just get the dang app to connect.

any tips for that ? the app just never finds the 809, I am on same wifi network - could it be a port issue perhaps ? dang technology.
post #6260 of 6270 Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 PM

Make sure to turn network control to ENABLE. It is located in the hardware section under NETWORK. Once done, shut down the phone and restart the app. It should then find the avr.

The app does run great once it has been allowed to find the avr. Check the manual for network control. It will mention that the unit will draw some power with Enabled selected. Page 63 or so.

Doug k

Doug

Last edited by ltd76gold; 05-03-2015 at 09:16 PM.
post #6261 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Make sure to turn network control to ENABLE. It is located in the hardware section under NETWORK. Once done, shut down the phone and restart the app. It should then find the avr.

The app does run great once it has been allowed to find the avr. Check the manual for network control. It will mention that the unit will draw some power with Enabled selected. Page 63 or so.

Doug k

Doug
Well, I have an issue or something else is going on....did just that and the app does not find the AVR. I even have the little NET light on the front of the AVR. I tried the Android and iPhone App.

QQ though, on the iPhone I see three Apps, looks like original, 2 and 3, any ideas which one should be working ?

Then of course, I wonder what is going on....how do I even begin trouble shooting something like this ?
post #6262 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
Well, I have an issue or something else is going on....did just that and the app does not find the AVR. I even have the little NET light on the front of the AVR. I tried the Android and iPhone App.

QQ though, on the iPhone I see three Apps, looks like original, 2 and 3, any ideas which one should be working ?

Then of course, I wonder what is going on....how do I even begin trouble shooting something like this ?
Lets just work with the android first.

Delete that app from the device. Re install it on the android from the google play store. Shut down the phone. Turn it back on.

Does the avr show up now?
post #6263 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lets just work with the android first.

Delete that app from the device. Re install it on the android from the google play store. Shut down the phone. Turn it back on.

Does the avr show up now?
Nope....just get DEMO MODE and SEARCH AGAIN
post #6264 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM

DHCP enabled?
Page 2 up or down while in Network...
NETWORK CONTROL Enabled?
post #6265 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 AM

Make sure you also SAVE the changes
post #6266 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Re-read your posts.

How is the 809 connected to your router?

Ethernet or wifi dongle?
post #6267 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Re-read your posts.

How is the 809 connected to your router?

Ethernet or wifi dongle?
USB WiFi Dongle

Also I did save the changes and DHCP is enabled...

Maybe when I get home I will try to take a few pictures, but like I mentioned (or I think I did) the NET is enabled and lit on the AVR.

I keep wondering if my "router" is somehow blocking that port for the app, but then if it is, how can I stream all day long on my AVR...HMMMmmmm....just thinking out loud.

I know it should be easy....thanks for continuing to help me trouble shoot.

Last edited by toofast68; 05-04-2015 at 12:06 PM.
post #6268 of 6270 Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM

Work....How can you go to work with your HT not functioning at its peak performance?

A picture might help...but I am running out of ideas. Mine is set up with a direct Ethernet cable....other than that, gads.

Doug
post #6269 of 6270 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Work....How can you go to work with your HT not functioning at its peak performance?

A picture might help...but I am running out of ideas. Mine is set up with a direct Ethernet cable....other than that, gads.

Doug
So I think I am giving up....did everything and checked it twice and still no connection.

Only think new is I had to swap routers, so still thinking there MIGHT be a port issue, but this is beyond me. I ran out of steam to take some pics and post them, just takes me too dang long to upload to photobucket, then to copy, bla bla bla....but I will try later in the week once I regain my energy.
post #6270 of 6270 Old Today, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I reset everything....and then disconnected the network on the AVR. Created a new one on the router, reconnected to the AVR, then reinstalled APP and BAM it all magically worked.

Guess I had a glitch in memory on the AVR somewhere.

Now that I got it going, I need more control....arghhhh...like I can't switch from Sirius to Pandora on the App.

Oh well...more fun!

Thanks for all your help!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page