"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6271 of 6292 Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No Network Settings Option

Is there an explanation for why the settings menu for hardware only goes from 7.1 - 7.5 for me? I'm missing the network option and the firmware option. I've googled this about 20 different ways, and I can't find anybody else describing the exact same issue.

I've downloaded the firmware and plugged it into both the front and back USB, but since I can't get the settings to work, it just says initialized and does nothing.

I'm setup through a control 4 system and my receiver doesn't output to a tv monitor to see the settings. Is there something here that I can only see on a TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6292 Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can you take a pic of just what you are seeing please?
I think I have it but want to be sure.
Temporarily connect a small monitor to any output HDMI display.

Hit setup and go from there.

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

Last edited by ltd76gold; 05-08-2015 at 09:19 PM.
post #6273 of 6292 Old 05-17-2015, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well, ARC isn't working anymore.
When I power on the receiver the TV picks it up and tries to send audio, after a few seconds it gives up and turns back on the TV speakers.

Tried powering off and unplugging the unit, powering off and unplugging the TV, replacing the HDMI cable, running through SETUP again (RIHD set to ON, ARC auto, TV/CD on ARC).

Nada.

Out of ideas, anyone have something similar occur?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #6274 of 6292 Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two problems...1. I have a new DirecTV setup and a new Samsung 75HU8550 4K. I use HDMI control on all three. When I use trick play controls on my DirecTV remote like rewind the Onkyo makes relay clicking noises as if when detecting a change in audio formats. Is this good and should it be doing it? 2. When I turn on my TV, receiver and DirecTV the input always switches to TV from CBL/SAT. I have turned off the audio return channel setting on my Onkyo but it still does it. Is there a solution to that issue? Thanks!
post #6275 of 6292 Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked: 2367
^^
1. Yup.
2. Set Anynet+ to OFF and instead connect an optical cable from the TV if you want to pass smart app audio to the AVR.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #6276 of 6292 Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner2k1 View Post
Is there an explanation for why the settings menu for hardware only goes from 7.1 - 7.5 for me? I'm missing the network option and the firmware option. I've googled this about 20 different ways, and I can't find anybody else describing the exact same issue.

I've downloaded the firmware and plugged it into both the front and back USB, but since I can't get the settings to work, it just says initialized and does nothing.

I'm setup through a control 4 system and my receiver doesn't output to a tv monitor to see the settings. Is there something here that I can only see on a TV?
That is an indication of a board failure and one of the reasons (the other being no audio) that I had to return it for repair.
post #6277 of 6292 Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Well, ARC isn't working anymore.
When I power on the receiver the TV picks it up and tries to send audio, after a few seconds it gives up and turns back on the TV speakers.

Tried powering off and unplugging the unit, powering off and unplugging the TV, replacing the HDMI cable, running through SETUP again (RIHD set to ON, ARC auto, TV/CD on ARC).

Nada.

Out of ideas, anyone have something similar occur?
Nobody?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #6278 of 6292 Old 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey All,

I had a quick question that I think I know the answer to but wanted some confirmation/advice. My NR809 lost functionality in an hdmi port recently (the hdmi sees no signal and just stays on the blue screen). I was disappointed, but I had a few more ports open so I just swapped to another one. It's been a couple of months now and I have lost functionality in most of my hdmi ports now. Is this indicative of the hdmi board failure that so many have experienced? I bought my receiver in December 2012 and haven't had any issue with it until a couple of months ago. Should I even try my luck with warranty support? Or is it time to move on? Do any of you suggest trying something else to get it working? I feel so upset that I might have lost my receiver...

Thanks everyone.

All Calibrations for UNXXH7150 posted to the forums compiled into an Excel Spreadsheet for easy access: Download Here from my dropbox!
post #6279 of 6292 Old 05-21-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellitlikethis View Post
Hey All,

I had a quick question that I think I know the answer to but wanted some confirmation/advice. My NR809 lost functionality in an hdmi port recently (the hdmi sees no signal and just stays on the blue screen). I was disappointed, but I had a few more ports open so I just swapped to another one. It's been a couple of months now and I have lost functionality in most of my hdmi ports now. Is this indicative of the hdmi board failure that so many have experienced? I bought my receiver in December 2012 and haven't had any issue with it until a couple of months ago. Should I even try my luck with warranty support? Or is it time to move on? Do any of you suggest trying something else to get it working? I feel so upset that I might have lost my receiver...

Thanks everyone.
There's a sticky in this forum that I cannot link yet, but yes go through the warranty, Onkyo has acknowledged and extended the warranty for these failures until 2018.
spellitlikethis likes this.
post #6280 of 6292 Old 05-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy TX-NR809 Failure #2

About 6 months ago I sent my receiver in for repair for loss of audio through the special warranty program mentioned in this thread. I was very impressed with the efficiency of this program and resulting repair of my unit. The other day, my receiver began acting up in a different manner. When I attempt to power it on, it powers up for about 3 seconds and the turns itself back off. I checked all my speaker connections to be sure nothing could be shorting the connections. I went so far as to unplug everything and disconnect power for a day and then power it up without anything re-connected. It simply does not want to stay on. I assume it is performing a self test and turning off to avoid further damage but does anyone know of any additional testing I could perform before concluding it would require another trip to repair? If it does require a repair should I expect warranty coverage from the first repair? In other words could this failure be connected to the first if it was a shoddy repair?

It Ain't Easy Being Cheezy
post #6281 of 6292 Old 05-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Onkyo Android app

OK.. Rough day.

Phone crashed. Had the Onkyo android app on it.

Re flashed phone..it works. Now for the life of me I had the Android app naming the powered zones I had in use... all 3

For the life, well I'd like to change them back to what I had named before. Zone 1 "la cava" for example.

Any help for a fogged brain?

post #6282 of 6292 Old 06-14-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Guys, it seems I am experiencing the dreaded "no audio" issue.

Normally I can hear the relay clicking but there is no clicking sound at all. Switching inputs also do nothing.

I also tried connecting the pre-out of the front speakers from my blu-ray player to the Onkyo receiver, then connecting the pre-out from my Onkyo to an external power amplifier. But this doesn't seem to make any difference either, as I am still not getting any sound whatsoever.

Does this "HDMI audio issue" also affect the analogue outputs of the receiver???

Short of reading through all the pages on the thread, any suggestion before calling Onkyo support??
post #6283 of 6292 Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello All!

I've had the Onkyo TX-NR809 for a while now set up just in stereo with my Polk Rti A5 Speakers, but I FINALLY got a sub the other day! I'm not too too knowledgeable and have been reading the stickies on this forum, but I wanted some advice from the experts on how best to set up my new BIC PL-200.

So initially, I just ran the Audyssey setup and these are the results that it gave me along with what I had setup:
Speaker Settings
Speaker Impedance: 6ohms (only other option is 4ohms)
Speakers Type (Front): Bi-Amp

Speaker Configuration

Subwoofer: Yes
Front: 40Hz (The tip on the bottom recommends Full Band for Tower Speakers but Audyssey set them to small, 40Hz)
LPF of LFE: 80Hz
Subwoofer Phase: 0°

Level Calibration
Left: -3.0 dB
Right: -3.0dB
Subwoofer: +1.5dB

Audyssey
Audyssey: Movie
Dynamic EQ: On
Reference Level: 0dB
Dynamic Volume: Off

So here are my thoughts:
1. For starters, Audyssey asks me to set my volume on my sub down to 75dB which brings it very near to the bottom. I found that odd as it feels a little like it's not really present at that level. I could be wrong and just disillusioned with the idea of a thumping, loud sub, but that's just my two cents.

2. I also keep reading everywhere that all speakers, even tower, should be set to small, and then around 80Hz. Audyssey set them to 40Hz and I'm not shy to admit that I'm not entirely sure what that means.

3. Despite having read up on LPF of LFE that I should set to higher (100Hz-120Hz), they are set at 80Hz. Doesn't that mean that I may be losing bass performance?

4. I'm assuming that Audyssey set the levels of my speakers so that they were close to what industry standards are relative to one another, but I've gotta raise the volume pretty high now whereas before, I often just left my levels at an even 0 and felts it sounded fine.

5. Lastly, I don't know you guys' thoughts on the Audyssey MultiEQ stuff, but when I plug my mic in, Audyssey prompts for 2 setup options, one that does just speakers at one mic setting, and one that does 3 spots and is supposed to be more thorough, I guess, in setting up the MultiEQ stuff, though from the settings, it doesn't appear to have turned much on anyway.

So what are you guys' thoughts and advice? I've gotten a ton of help here with my TV calibrations and helped a lot of people too, so I'm hopeful I can get myself set up just right! Thanks a bunch in advance.

All Calibrations for UNXXH7150 posted to the forums compiled into an Excel Spreadsheet for easy access: Download Here from my dropbox!
post #6284 of 6292 Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Is there anyone that has the discrete ir code for Pure Audio?

Thanks

Doug k
post #6285 of 6292 Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschen View Post
Guys, it seems I am experiencing the dreaded "no audio" issue.

Normally I can hear the relay clicking but there is no clicking sound at all. Switching inputs also do nothing.

I also tried connecting the pre-out of the front speakers from my blu-ray player to the Onkyo receiver, then connecting the pre-out from my Onkyo to an external power amplifier. But this doesn't seem to make any difference either, as I am still not getting any sound whatsoever.

Does this "HDMI audio issue" also affect the analogue outputs of the receiver???

Short of reading through all the pages on the thread, any suggestion before calling Onkyo support??
I understand most members here are based in US. Can I please ask if there are any international (non-US/Canada) buyers who have purchased this US AV Receiver and is experiencing the same issue? The reason I am asking is because I am trying to work out if it is feasible for me to replace the card myself if Onkyo US would send me a replacement HDMI board.

I have submitted a Replace request through the Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program on the US website as per this thread. I really hope Onkyo US will help me out with this.

As it is too cost prohibitive for me to send the whole unit back to the repair centre in US, I have sent an email to ask if they can send me a replacement HDMI board. I want to try and replace it myself.

I am based in Australia.
post #6286 of 6292 Old 06-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Discrete IR code for Pure Audio

"Is there anyone that has the discrete ir code for Pure Audio?"

Thanks

Doug k

Found one on the harmony...just used the 906 codes...

post #6287 of 6292 Old Today, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got a new Samsung 4K TV (UN65JS9000). I was having blurring issues while watching sports. Turns out it was a setting on my TXNR-809 that was causing this.

For my Dirrect TV output, I had that set to THROUGH. I was under the assumption that this would NOT touch the video signal, just pass it along.

For my BluRay output (i was getting no bluriness here) I had that set to DIRECT. Again, I thought this wouldn't touch the video signal.

Not sure why I had 1 Through and 1 Direct, I set these up YEARS ago. So I pulled out my manual and it sounds like when using HDMI, they both work the same, as NOT touching the video signal.

BUT, when I changed my DTV output to Direct, it definitely fixed the issue, so there must be a difference between the two.

I should mention, on my Monitor Output settting, when I got the 4K TV, I changed that the "Upscale to 4K". Not sure if that had anything to do w/ that working against the Through setting or not.

Can someone please give me clarification between the Through and Direct settings? Any other thoughts on my setup are appreciated too!!!

Thanks
post #6288 of 6292 Unread Today, 07:32 AM

Check page 45 Manual Monitor Out. If you have that "resolution" set to "auto" (which iirc is the default) then the receiver will "see" the DTV box's 1080i and upscale that to 1080p in the "through" setting in the picture adjustments of page 55.

That may be the issue with your DTV box.

Yeah, I know...clear as mud. It does sound as though you have it correctly set up as the picture with (Direct TV) is better with the Direct setting in Picture adjust. Verify source input rez by using the "Display" button on the remote while viewing the DTV or BD boxes. You will see what the AVR is receiving and outputting there as well as the second page audio.

Doug k

post #6289 of 6292 Unread Today, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Check page 45 Manual Monitor Out. If you have that "resolution" set to "auto" (which iirc is the default) then the receiver will "see" the DTV box's 1080i and upscale that to 1080p in the "through" setting in the picture adjustments of page 55.

That may be the issue with your DTV box.

Yeah, I know...clear as mud. It does sound as though you have it correctly set up as the picture with (Direct TV) is better with the Direct setting in Picture adjust. Verify source input rez by using the "Display" button on the remote while viewing the DTV or BD boxes. You will see what the AVR is receiving and outputting there as well as the second page audio.

Doug k
Yeah, I read, then re-read, then re-re-read that manual last night. Doesn't go into much detail. Just from eyesight, clearly the Through at Picute adjust and Upscale to 4K on the monitor out setting wasn't working.

Right now here are my settings:
Monitor Out (Main) - Upscale to 4K

Picture Adjust Setting - Direct (for all inputs)

Looks like it's working well as i notice a tremendous improvement. Was just hoping to get more technical info on what's actually taking place with Through and Direct settings. Because reading the manual, using HDMI (Which I am) sounds like those two settings "should" be identical.

Another thought. The HH Greg rep told me I should run all video feeds direct to the TV and use the Arc out from the TV to the Arc in on my receiver. Stating that the video will be downgraded running through the receiver. But I like running through the AVR and have read the Onkyo NR809 has a really good video processor in it. And since it's upscalling to 4K, I would think I'd be OK here, correct?

Do others use the ARC for audio on the NR809? I'd rather know my audio isn't getting downgraded using ARC.

Thoughts / advice?

Thanks!!!
post #6290 of 6292 Unread Today, 08:14 AM

While the HH guy may be correct with entry level avr's, your Onkyo does indeed have a very very good onboard processor. Since I run a PJ, the ABC option has not been used in my setup. If you have the time to test using direct to display cabling, no foul in trying... But you won't see much of a change and will lose the switching capabilities of the Onkyo.

I cannot speak for the 4k up sampling as my PJ does not have that capacity.
post #6291 of 6292 Unread Today, 08:16 AM

Arc, dang phone corrects me even when I am right...
CCSchoch likes this.
post #6292 of 6292 Unread Today, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Arc, dang phone corrects me even when I am right...
Funny - I re-read your original post 3 times to try and figure out PJ and ABC. I finally got projector and was just going to ask what ABC was, then I seen the above.

BTW, when I first setup the TV, I did run cables direct to the TV and also to an input thru AVR. I seen no difference what so ever, why I elected to keep through the AVR as this was my desired setup.

I must've switched the picture to Through from Direct AFTER I made final decision on cabling because it would've been very noticeable when i was doing those eyeball comparisons. The manual makes it sound like through HDMI, they're identical..well, not w/ my current setup. Not sure if it's the upscaling to 4K that's doing it or what. Could play with that to see if that's what it is.

Thx for the info.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page