"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6301 of 6309 Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
" It does not have nearly the same sound stage as the 809 period."

That has indeed been reported and I respectfully apologize. I did not read that you had installed the 28 so I figured you were up to a bit of bashing. Seems you did try every Avenue.

Man... A pita when you know you have done everything, yet be stymied at the end game.

We used to sell a ton of the older onk's, back when an 802 or 3 weighed in at 3 grunts from the top shelf. No doubt the suits have cut some.

Again, I thank you for the explanation that you had at least put the thing in the loop for a bit. Perhaps you might call once more and ask for an upgrade with some cash for something from Onkyo that you test out and could be happy with?

Anyway.... All the best... With Chevy at least

Doug k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6309 Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnotes View Post
For one it has a refurbished S/N, mine did not. Which means if there would be some kind of recall, it won't apply to me.That is part of the downgrade. Mine was not nor was it ever a refurb. I don't think it is asking too much to offer something in kind, especially after having to return it twice. I would not even had expected a warranty, I would have bought one without question. Had it been new.

I did hook it up, no depth, spent 3 hours trying to get good sound. It does not have nearly the same sound stage as the 809 period. Bluetooth/wireless is unstable and unusable.Not bi wireable, which kind of screws my speaker build (Jenzen Illuminators) and Downgraded Audessy.The 809 had problems, but there was no denying the sound....at least for me.

Actually, Chevy has been pretty good to me. Have a 2009 G8GT that ate a lifter, (if anybody owns one on here you know), replaced mine with a brand 100% new engine....not a refurb, or as they call it a reman.
OK, fair enough. I'm going to have to defer to your ears, since I just cannot get over how good my 809/Krell amp setup sounds for movies and music. Great soundstage, decent depth, smooth but clear highs, etc.

I do note that they put the 828 on a serious diet, compared to the 809, as the 809 weighs in at 40 pounds, while the 828 goes 33 pounds. I suppose it is entirely possible that they cut some corners in the pre-amp section, as well as the power amp. If the 828 is audibly inferior to the 809, I would be upset as well.

I have a hunch the one to get right now, for audio quality, is the TX-NR1030, if you could wrangle one of them out of Onkyo. It is a beast and even has XLR outputs for the front L/R channels!

post #6303 of 6309 Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 1030 & 806. The 1030 is very heavy, runs cool and is absolutely awesome. Best receiver I've ever owned.
post #6304 of 6309 Old 07-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My plan is to use the proceeds towards a 1030.......maybe after i calm down. I am just so disgusted at the moment i cant bear to give them 1 dime. The 809 is a far superior reciever regardless of the HDMI issues. I have a set of Acoustic Research AR-9 High Res circa 2000 Driven by an Aragon 3002 in the highs and mids and 2 PS Audio 250 Deltas. Accompanied by 2 velodyne 12"subs. I tried it direct and pre out and....just no. The amps are overkill but those are in preparation of my illuminators....should be ordering the crossovers this week.
post #6305 of 6309 Old 07-14-2015, 06:59 PM

I'd be willing to trade for an Oppo 103D though
post #6306 of 6309 Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post
I sent my 809 in for the HDMI board warranty repair and it came back and had been working just great...
HAD BEEN.
Last night my wife tells me that she can get a picture on screen. I troubleshoot for a while to eliminate the XBO and any other culprits from the blame.
In the end I had to enable dual HDMI output and use the sub-monitor output to get video out to the TV.
I have had the *repaired* unit for about 2 weeks.

Anyone else have an immediate re-failure on a repaired 809, or specifically this output issue?
Immediately after this post on 10/31/14, I posted about my HMDI failure. I went through the repair process and have had stellar results. Then last night, I have this exact scenario. Wife can't get picture, had to eliminate XBO as the issue (we were watching Netflix on it), and then now I'm having to use the sub-monitor output.

I wasn't expecting any more issues. Even have a laptop fan running on the top now to try and ward off any potential issues that way.

Is this related to the previous repair? I've been re-reading old posts and I haven't come across that answer yet. Not having OSD isn't the worst thing in the world - but it will be enough to stick in my craw every time I adjust the volume now and NOT see it on the screen.
post #6307 of 6309 Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just had mine repaired 2 months ago for HDMI board and it crapped out on me again. I am seriously considering selling it after I get it back repaired and investing in something else. I'm put off by Onkyo right now because of the loss of Audyssey. But yea, the "repair" didn't fix it for me permanently. While their Cusomter Service has been more than willing to help, I'm frustrated at the fact that I was hoping an improved component would be put in to prevent further failure.

All Calibrations for UNXXH7150 posted to the forums compiled into an Excel Spreadsheet for easy access: Download Here from my dropbox!
post #6308 of 6309 Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM

I am done with Onkyo for good.

I ended up selling my refurb replacement and am looking for another. It's a shame that a company that was once so good has gotten this bad.
post #6309 of 6309 Unread Today, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just a measured set of data regarding in Onkyo' s words " Leaving Network Control enabled will slightly raise power consumption " or somthing to that effect....

I measured thru my power backup supply a difference of 60 plus watts between having Network Control Enabled or Disabled.

At 15 cents a kwh, roughly 7$ a month and keeps the room warm too!

I really was surprized at 60+ watts, unit off, network control enabled.

I bet all avr's suck some juice to keep us happy with our smart phones but that much was a bit more than what I considered "a small increase in power consumption"

Doug k
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page