"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #6391 of 6509 Old 12-22-2015, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Actually 3 years..."through December 31, 2018."

Agreed...

All the cliche's apply to our hobby here! It's never enough! It's the journey, not the destination! It's a work in progress! etc. etc. There's a reason why one didn't stop at stereo, or 5.1, or 7.1 Seriously though, IMO, 3D sound is a game changer and should be experienced in a properly configured system to be appreciated.
2.2 out of 3 ain't bad on this forum... Any day!

And thanks for the math correction!

Merry Christmas ALL!

Doug k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6509 Old 12-22-2015, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I love my Onk 809 and now got it back, fixed and it performs fabulous for what it is, but now we got all this new stuff, the 3D immersive audio all this, ..I can see where I'm going to need to upgrade sooner of later. ...could be as bad as telling the wife I need to buy a new motorcycle.
post #6393 of 6509 Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
2.2 out of 3 ain't bad on this forum... Any day!

And thanks for the math correction!

Merry Christmas ALL!

Doug k
LOL..not bad at all Doug! Merry Christmas Everyone!

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: TBD x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #6394 of 6509 Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1949 View Post
I love my Onk 809 and now got it back, fixed and it performs fabulous for what it is, but now we got all this new stuff, the 3D immersive audio all this, ..I can see where I'm going to need to upgrade sooner of later. ...could be as bad as telling the wife I need to buy a new motorcycle.
Glad your 809 is well now. Unfortunately, with age and family, my bikes are behind me now. But I'm heavily invested in 3D sound now and in particular Atmos and awaiting DTS:X. I attempted to upgrade from my 809/636 this year but the higher end AVR's I evaluated didn't meet my expectations in terms of the SQ that the 809/636 established for me. So, I'm looking forward to and anticipating that Onkyo's product offerings for 2016 will bring pleasant surprises.

As far as 3D sound is concerned, everyone in these threads agree that..."Once you try it, you'll never go back!" An added benefit of Atmos is Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) which provides similar immersiveness to non-Atmos material...really works well.

All this being said, my 809 will continue life in my living or bedroom system, possibly in my son's home, or less likely sold to finance my next AVR.

But yeah Steve...I see you eventually moving on to 3D sound!

post #6395 of 6509 Old 12-23-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Glad your 809 is well now. Unfortunately, with age and family, my bikes are behind me now. X. But I'm heavily invested in 3D sound now and in particular Atmos and awaiting DTS: I attempted to upgrade from my 809/636 this year but the higher end AVR's I evaluated didn't meet my expectations in terms of the SQ that the 809/636 established for me. So, I'm looking forward to and anticipating that Onkyo's product offerings for 2016 will bring pleasant surprises.

As far as 3D sound is concerned, everyone in these threads agree that..."Once you try it, you'll never go back!" An added benefit of Atmos is Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) which provides similar immersiveness to non-Atmos material...really works well.

All this being said, my 809 will continue life in my living or bedroom system, possibly in my son's home, or less likely sold to finance my next AVR.

But yeah Steve...I see you eventually moving on to 3D sound!
I guess I need to go learn more about ATMOS and this 3D, I had assumed I would need to eliminate the 809 in order to get to a AVR that supported the formats? How are you deriving this 3D sound now without the newer AVR? And, follow-up question, Does the Audessey in the 809 support the room equalization needed for these additional speakers?

I have been away from the Hometheater scene for a while, so I guess I need to catch up.

Thanks

Steve
post #6396 of 6509 Old 12-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I guess I need to go learn more about ATMOS and this 3D, I had assumed I would need to eliminate the 809 in order to get to a AVR that supported the formats? How are you deriving this 3D sound now without the newer AVR? And, follow-up question, Does the Audessey in the 809 support the room equalization needed for these additional speakers?
The Onkyo TX-NR809 has Dolby Pro Logic IIx Front Height or Front Width capability. It doesn't have Dolby Atmos nor DTS-X which do not "simulate" height channels as does PL2x. Disks or Streams that are encoded with designated Atmos or DTS-X channels are quite rare, much like the roll-out of 3D video. While dedicated discrete channels are almost always preferable to simulated channels, the issue really boils down today to availability of media. Are front or for that matter center/rear height dedicated channels cool? Yes is the only answer. Is there enough media today to warrant relegation of an 809 to subservient status? Perhaps. In a few years, as they say, time will tell.

AVR's produced now with both "immersive audio 3d" formats (Atmos and DTS-X) are rare as well. The good news here is that those AVR's with Atmos alone, in many cases, will be afforded a firmware upgrade when available in the future to include DTS-x.

Hope this helps a bit,

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

Last edited by ltd76gold; 12-23-2015 at 07:50 AM.
post #6397 of 6509 Old 12-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
The Onkyo TX-NR809 has Dolby Pro Logic IIx Front Height or Front Width capability. It doesn't have Dolby Atmos nor DTS-X which do not "simulate" height channels as does PL2x. Disks or Streams that are encoded with designated Atmos or DTS-X channels are quite rare, much like the roll-out of 3D video. While dedicated discrete channels are almost always preferable to simulated channels, the issue really boils down today to availability of media. Are front or for that matter center/rear height dedicated channels cool? Yes is the only answer. Is there enough media today to warrant relegation of an 809 to subservient status? Perhaps. In a few years, as they say, time will tell.

AVR's produced now with both "immersive audio 3d" formats (Atmos and DTS-X) are rare as well. The good news here is that those AVR's with Atmos alone, in many cases, will be afforded a firmware upgrade when available in the future to include DTS-x.

Hope this helps a bit,

Doug k
Helps a LOT Doug. I've actuall got a 25'X13' Hometheater/living-room/kitchen area with a cathedral ceiling that runs north south and the TV/Mains/Dub/center are on the north side facing south.. the whole set up sounds fabulous already with my 5.1 Klipsch Synergy 3 system and I can picture built in high speakers pointing right at the listener seating area that would just blow us away.. I think between Audessey and my room accoustics everything just worked.. Hopefully it will work even better with the highs. Might be time to start thinking of in-wall wiring up into the cathedral ceiling to prep for some of this.

Ut-oh, another damn project! LOL! Better not tell Mama till after the Crhistmas hang-over goes away.
post #6398 of 6509 Old 12-23-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess I need to go learn more about ATMOS and this 3D...
Plenty of threads now in these forums addressing 3D sound (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro, AVR's, and speaker topics) for your reading pleasure!

Quote:
I had assumed I would need to eliminate the 809 in order to get to a AVR that supported the formats?
Correct...the 809 does not have the decoders for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro, etc. It will be necessary to invest in a newer AVR with these decoders.

Quote:
How are you deriving this 3D sound now without the newer AVR?
Actually I do have one of the newer AVR's but not the one I ultimately want. Because I'm an "early adopter," I purchased an Onkyo 636 from CL and a couple of inexpensive ceiling speakers to try a 5.2.2 Atmos setup...total investment under $400. This configuration provided me the information and experience to know that I will absolutely eventually invest to achieve a 7.2.4 or 9.2.6 system. BTW: A new Onkyo 636 is available now on Amazon for $329...and my MICCA speakers are $40 each.

Quote:
And, follow-up question, Does the Audessey in the 809 support the room equalization needed for these additional speakers?
The answer is no since the 809 does not support Atmos...

Quote:
I have been away from the Hometheater scene for a while, so I guess I need to catch up.
No need to rush if you're not an early adopter like me...Doug K makes some very valid points. Although Atmos and DTS:X ready hardware is readily available from most major manufacturers this year, content is lagging a bit as usual. Currently, over 60 Atmos titles are available with more and more being introduced monthly as we speak. But equally as interesting is that the Dolby Surround Mixer (DSU) accompanying Atmos has been a surprise benefit. DSU brings the immersive envelopment qualities of Atmos to non-Atmos titles. All of us have discovered that our older favorite titles have taken on a new exciting life. Many feel that DSU alone was worth the upgrade and gladly await more Atmos titles. IMO, 2016 will bring a plethora of 3D sound content.

Quote:
Ut-oh, another damn project! LOL! Better not tell Mama till after the Crhistmas hang-over goes away.
Sounds familiar

post #6399 of 6509 Old 12-26-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Looks like I got hit by the dreaded missing audio bug last night. The display on my 809 won't even display the attached speakers on the display. I turned the unit on and heard nothing. I reset it and was able to run the calibration and then all of a sudden, no audio again. Just sent for my return box.

I thought about taking the $175 in rebates on a newer Onkyo receiver but was not able to find anything better out there.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #6400 of 6509 Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
Looks like I got hit by the dreaded missing audio bug last night. The display on my 809 won't even display the attached speakers on the display. I turned the unit on and heard nothing. I reset it and was able to run the calibration and then all of a sudden, no audio again. Just sent for my return box.

I thought about taking the $175 in rebates on a newer Onkyo receiver but was not able to find anything better out there.
Have it fixed... You are correct in as much as very few "new" units have an equal or better feature set (save for Atmos) at the price point of the 809.

While mine has not failed... My Original box is next to all of my other gear boxes that are still covered by warranty. From the sound of it Onkyo even replaces those boxes that have gone missing... Nice touch Imo.

Doug k
post #6401 of 6509 Old 12-26-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have it fixed... You are correct in as much as very few "new" units have an equal or better feature set (save for Atmos) at the price point of the 809.

While mine has not failed... My Original box is next to all of my other gear boxes that are still covered by warranty. From the sound of it Onkyo even replaces those boxes that have gone missing... Nice touch Imo.

Doug k

Yeah, I think getting it fixed is the better option. I just hope it doesn't take too long to receive the box and for them to return it. I have an old Harman Kardon that I don't want to have to go to in the meanwhile.

Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #6402 of 6509 Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think getting it fixed is the better option. I just hope it doesn't take too long to receive the box and for them to return it. I have an old Harman Kardon that I don't want to have to go to in the meanwhile.
A couple of weeks at the most, end-to-end, the also include the styrofoam and shipping tape and the FedEx free label for shipping.

The online status isn't as up to date as the 800 number support info you might get.

When I got mine back the UFW-1 dongle wasn't able to pick up the wifi signal. I opted for one of these and now it works fine. (If you use a hardwired internet connection this is not important to you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00
post #6403 of 6509 Old 12-26-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A couple of weeks at the most, end-to-end, the also include the styrofoam and shipping tape and the FedEx free label for shipping.

The online status isn't as up to date as the 800 number support info you might get.

When I got mine back the UFW-1 dongle wasn't able to pick up the wifi signal. I opted for one of these and now it works fine. (If you use a hardwired internet connection this is not important to you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

Thank you for that info. I've only used the internet with it once to update it and that's it. I use the 809 strictly for movies.

Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #6404 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help with my network. For years my 809 has recognized my pc and the corresponding windows media player playlists when using DLNA. Now the only thing that shows up is my Directv receiver leaving me no access to my playlists. I can see the 809 on my computer network devices and open it. I can stream Pandora with no issues. This may have started after upgrading to Windows 10, not sure about that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
post #6405 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 AM

Windows10 killed the Wmc player.
Hacks abound for a work around. Just do a search Windows 10 and media center.

Another upgrade with built in downgrades....

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #6406 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello guys!

You think this receiver is worth it today as an Upgrade from an older Harman Karon AVR635? I can get it for $200 (and of course I can sell my 635 after that). I was hoping for the auto EQ feature and to offload the TrueHD and DTS-HD from my HTPC to the receiver instead. I do have 3 subwoofers so maybe I should save more for a newer receiver with newer Audessey and the SubEQ but what do you think?

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #6407 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post
Hello guys!

You think this receiver is worth it today as an Upgrade from an older Harman Karon AVR635? I can get it for $200 (and of course I can sell my 635 after that). I was hoping for the auto EQ feature and to offload the TrueHD and DTS-HD from my HTPC to the receiver instead. I do have 3 subwoofers so maybe I should save more for a newer receiver with newer Audessey and the SubEQ but what do you think?
The HK635 was and is a great sounding avr. While rated at 75wpc, it could push a taxing suite of speakers in one of our listening rooms without any issues whatsoever.

The addition of "in avr" decoding of lossless audio provided by the use of an Onkyo 809 is compelling in some cases. Also, having a phono preamp stage in the 809 might be a plus as well. In addition, Audessey multi eq xt and the Marvel qdeo processing and HQV Vida for 4k... For $200? Not a bad plan at all if you wish to wait a bit to see just how many atmos enables bd's hit the streets in the next few years..

Just one opinion...

BTW, I would hold onto the 635 if just to power a second or third zones amplification.

Doug K
SteveL1949 likes this.
post #6408 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The HK635 was and is a great sounding avr. While rated at 75wpc, it could push a taxing suite of speakers in one of our listening rooms without any issues whatsoever.

The addition of "in avr" decoding of lossless audio provided by the use of an Onkyo 809 is compelling in some cases. Also, having a phono preamp stage in the 809 might be a plus as well. In addition, Audessey multi eq xt and the Marvel qdeo processing and HQV Vida for 4k... For $200? Not a bad plan at all if you wish to wait a bit to see just how many atmos enables bd's hit the streets in the next few years..

Just one opinion...

BTW, I would hold onto the 635 if just to power a second or third zones amplification.

Doug K
Oh yes, that is one of the reasons I kept my 635 for so long..this 43lbs monster is quite a beast. I recall it tested 75watts ALL 7 channels driven at the same time and 93W all channels but at 1% distortion which is more than most receives these days unless you spend $$$ for them.
So isnt the Atmos surround any good (by that I mean how it fakes Atmos for non atmos movies)?
I want to offload the audio decoding from my HTPC because I push it a lot with MPC and SVP processing so any processes I can offload is helpful.
Also EQ is one thing I really wanted to try.
As far as Video processing, I dont like running video through my receivers so I am good there.
I am going to go check it today.
SteveL1949 likes this.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
post #6409 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, that is one of the reasons I kept my 635 for so long..this 43lbs monster is quite a beast. I recall it tested 75watts ALL 7 channels driven at the same time and 93W all channels but at 1% distortion which is more than most receives these days unless you spend $$$ for them.
So isnt the Atmos surround any good (by that I mean how it fakes Atmos for non atmos movies)?
I want to offload the audio decoding from my HTPC because I push it a lot with MPC and SVP processing so any processes I can offload is helpful.
Also EQ is one thing I really wanted to try.
As far as Video processing, I dont like running video through my receivers so I am good there.
I am going to go check it today.
Video capabilities of the 809 are excellent. It also has a nice pass through mode so you don't need to use it if you don't want to, and can still minimize your wiring. So that your BR device, your Cable/Sat device any other video devices feed the AVR with only one output to your TV.
post #6410 of 6509 Old 01-02-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Video capabilities of the 809 are excellent. It also has a nice pass through mode so you don't need to use it if you don't want to, and can still minimize your wiring. So that your BR device, your Cable/Sat device any other video devices feed the AVR with only one output to your TV.
I only have the HTPC in that room but good to know since I will have to connect the HDMI for audio from my HTPC to the Receiver so I was not thinking about that part.
At that price I think is a safe test since I should be able to resell it if I dont like it for any reason and not lose any money.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
post #6411 of 6509 Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Just got back from a pleasant vacation only to find that my Onkyo 809 is suddenly pumping out ZERO audio. I've been following this thread on and off for a couple of years so I know there are known issues but I thought they were specific to HDMI. I can't seem to get sound from any source, not even the integrated FM tuner. Can someone please run me through the correct procedure to remedy this (or at least point me in the right direction)? Very frustrating!
post #6412 of 6509 Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldFagen View Post
Just got back from a pleasant vacation only to find that my Onkyo 809 is suddenly pumping out ZERO audio. I've been following this thread on and off for a couple of years so I know there are known issues but I thought they were specific to HDMI. I can't seem to get sound from any source, not even the integrated FM tuner. Can someone please run me through the correct procedure to remedy this (or at least point me in the right direction)? Very frustrating!
I'm one of the most recent survivors of the failure and then the fix, although with me it took two trips to Onkyo repair depot to get it right. There is apparently more than one failure system/fix involved. One is the hdmi network card failure and the other (I think) is the actual main "mother" board. Onkyou fixes it all when the problem comes in, regardless of the symptoms being isolated to only one or the other.

When the unit starts up, it runs initialization and if that process fails, regardless of the specific failure the whole unit stops working and you get no audio.

You can try a full reset by pressing and holding the DVR button and then Power. This will blow away all of your settings, but might fix the unit. (but I wouldn't bet on it)

Here is the link for the fix. https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

PS Donald, I really dig your music. Could you please send me an autographed copy of Aja in 180 vinly?

TNX your devoted fan,

Steve

Last edited by SteveL1949; 01-04-2016 at 05:19 AM.
post #6413 of 6509 Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
PS Donald, I really dig your music. Could you please send me an autographed copy of Aja in 180 vinly?

TNX your devoted fan,

Steve
LOL, if only I were the real DF!!

Thanks for your help and quick reply. I had hoped to be one of the lucky few spared of an all-out failure but apparently it was not meant to be! Next step: factory reset.
post #6414 of 6509 Old 01-04-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

OK so I just got it and set it up. First try at Audyssey is not so bad. Did 4 spots all in line with main listening position basically. It drops my 3 subwoofers very low and then make then -6 to make it worst so I am not sure if its better to adjust on the level of my Subwoofers directly (I was using them at 9'Clock before) or adjust in the Receiver subwoofer level instead.

One MAJOR issue I am having is with my HTPC connected to the Receiver and outputting to my projector. This is my only source. The projector image shows tilted to the left and seems maybe smaller (or perhaps just tilted so that the right side of my screen has a black bar where the image should be. If I connect the projector to the HTPC directly, then the image is fine.
This is using the DIRECT mode so I may end up connecting the HTPC to my Projector and maybe add a second spare video card only for the HDMI audio (my current card only has one HDMI).

What you guys think?

PS
The problem will happen any time I switch back from MPC-HC full screen to regular mode like to see the desktop again. The only solution is to switch to another input on the receiver then back and it "resets" the image. Lame and annoying

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!

Last edited by Luis Gabriel Gerena; 01-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
post #6415 of 6509 Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
OK so I just got it and set it up. First try at Audyssey is not so bad. Did 4 spots all in line with main listening position basically. It drops my 3 subwoofers very low and then make then -6 to make it worst so I am not sure if its better to adjust on the level of my Subwoofers directly (I was using them at 9'Clock before) or adjust in the Receiver subwoofer level instead.

One MAJOR issue I am having is with my HTPC connected to the Receiver and outputting to my projector. This is my only source. The projector image shows tilted to the left and seems maybe smaller (or perhaps just tilted so that the right side of my screen has a black bar where the image should be. If I connect the projector to the HTPC directly, then the image is fine.
This is using the DIRECT mode so I may end up connecting the HTPC to my Projector and maybe add a second spare video card only for the HDMI audio (my current card only has one HDMI).

What you guys think?

PS
The problem will happen any time I switch back from MPC-HC full screen to regular mode like to see the desktop again. The only solution is to switch to another input on the receiver then back and it "resets" the image. Lame and annoying
With the tilted and off center image presented please press the avr display button and tell us what you see. The first press Wil give you the audio input and output, the second press will display the video in/out.

Thanks

Doug k
post #6416 of 6509 Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With the tilted and off center image presented please press the avr display button and tell us what you see. The first press Wil give you the audio input and output, the second press will display the video in/out.

Thanks

Doug k
OK I will report back tomorrow. Thanks!
BTW, suddenly I am hearing details I was completely missing before...this Audyssey thing is nice and I am not even sure I am doing it right yet but so far so good. lol

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
post #6417 of 6509 Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You can try a full reset by pressing and holding the DVR button and then Power. This will blow away all of your settings, but might fix the unit. (but I wouldn't bet on it)
You were correct. The reset (I tried multiple times) cleared all previous customized settings but did not solve the problem regarding lack of audio. The unit will pass digital audio through to the TV's integrated speakers via HDMI but it will not output any audio to the connected 5.1 speaker system via its own preamp/amp stages. Very strange. Video seems unaffected.
post #6418 of 6509 Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldFagen View Post
You were correct. The reset (I tried multiple times) cleared all previous customized settings but did not solve the problem regarding lack of audio. The unit will pass digital audio through to the TV's integrated speakers via HDMI but it will not output any audio to the connected 5.1 speaker system via its own preamp/amp stages. Very strange. Video seems unaffected.
Well, at least Onk is standing up to fix it. Gee I bought mine in 2005 and they still fixed it.

So it's still chugging along and to be honest, I don't see a new one in my near future just for "immersive" sound. I'm pretty immersed as is and a happy camper.
post #6419 of 6509 Old 01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Doug k
It shows Input HDMI 5 RGB 24bit
1920 X 1080 48Hz
Output HDMI Main RGB 24 Bit
1920 X 1080 48Hz
Direct

Shows the same when the image looks correct as well.
I noticed two interesting things. The problem does NOT happen when I connect it to the HDMI Out Sub instead of the Main one.
Also the problem is only triggered with MPC-HC when it goes to full screen and out of it. I tried Powerdvd which I use only for 3D movies and it never creates an issue.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
post #6420 of 6509 Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
It shows Input HDMI 5 RGB 24bit
1920 X 1080 48Hz
Output HDMI Main RGB 24 Bit
1920 X 1080 48Hz
Direct

Shows the same when the image looks correct as well.
I noticed two interesting things. The problem does NOT happen when I connect it to the HDMI Out Sub instead of the Main one.
Also the problem is only triggered with MPC-HC when it goes to full screen and out of it. I tried Powerdvd which I use only for 3D movies and it never creates an issue.
Check page 45 of the manual. You may have the hdmi outputs set in such a fashion that the avr cannot function properly with the video card in your computer...

• Depending on the incoming video signal, the video playback
may not be smooth or the vertical resolution may be lowered. In
this case select anything other than “1080p/24”.
• If the “Monitor Out” setting is set to “Both”, this setting is fixed
to “Auto”.
• When “Monitor Out” is set to either “HDMI Sub” or
“Both(Sub)”, “1080/24p” and “4K Upscaling” cannot be
selected. Above from the book..

Again page 45 may hold the answer.

I'm a "shiny disk" guy so others may wish to chime in that have stashed all of their media on a hopefully backed up hdd or ssd system.

Doug k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page