"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6511 of 6520 Old 07-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Member
 
dafish721's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had the same problem and won't go back to Onkyo. I loved the receiver but not worth the trouble of it failing repetitively. I went back to Denon.
dafish721 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6512 of 6520 Old 07-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Member
 
spellitlikethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
Had the same problem and won't go back to Onkyo. I loved the receiver but not worth the trouble of it failing repetitively. I went back to Denon.
It's a real bummer. I honestly thought I was buying a receiver that would last me 5+ years. Instead I barely made it 2 years before the first failure. Then that fix messed up in the same way 3 months later. They fixed it again. It's ALMOST been a year since then and it's dead again. I was really impressed with the performance but I can't see myself buying Onkyo again after this. I've got it plugged into a UPS w/ Surge Protection and it was still fried, no storm, or anything. I'm getting the "Now Initializing" error, and HDMI is not working. I've been nagging support for 3 days now and they still haven't budged. Still hopeful that they'll do me a solid and give me a courtesy repair.

What Denon did you switch to that's comparable to the 809?

All Calibrations for UNXXH7150 posted to the forums compiled into an Excel Spreadsheet for easy access: Download Here from my dropbox!
spellitlikethis is offline  
post #6513 of 6520 Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Member
 
dafish721's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellitlikethis View Post
It's a real bummer. I honestly thought I was buying a receiver that would last me 5+ years. Instead I barely made it 2 years before the first failure. Then that fix messed up in the same way 3 months later. They fixed it again. It's ALMOST been a year since then and it's dead again. I was really impressed with the performance but I can't see myself buying Onkyo again after this. I've got it plugged into a UPS w/ Surge Protection and it was still fried, no storm, or anything. I'm getting the "Now Initializing" error, and HDMI is not working. I've been nagging support for 3 days now and they still haven't budged. Still hopeful that they'll do me a solid and give me a courtesy repair.

What Denon did you switch to that's comparable to the 809?


Mine was a few years back. I went with the Denon x2000 which would be the x2300 for this year.
dafish721 is offline  
post #6514 of 6520 Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Member
 
Crazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: L.A., CA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesster51 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you with a Visio M70 and 809. I follow this thread and was hoping some of the videophiles would chime in and respond to your questions, I would be interested in their thoughts as well.
I just bought the M70 and am waiting a week for it. My Onkyo 809 has not had an update since 2012. I had it repaired for no video a couple of years ago (I don't remember exactly when) Should I update the firmware with the risk of bricking it? I thought the TV with upscale lower resolutions to 4k, so why bother having the Onkyo do it?
Crazz is offline  
post #6515 of 6520 Old 09-07-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nightfly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazz View Post
I just bought the M70 and am waiting a week for it. My Onkyo 809 has not had an update since 2012. I had it repaired for no video a couple of years ago (I don't remember exactly when) Should I update the firmware with the risk of bricking it? I thought the TV with upscale lower resolutions to 4k, so why bother having the Onkyo do it?
Yes, no reason. Additionally, the 809 scaling is of poor quality. Check some of the earlier posts on scaling quality. It's best to leave the setting as "through".
nightfly85 is offline  
post #6516 of 6520 Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nightfly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So I recently got a Monoprice Monolith 7 ch ext amp and quickly discovered the 809's limitations with regards to using an ext app. So yes, the 809 has pre-outs, but that's the end of the support.

Problems:
No Zone 1 trigger.

You can use the USB port if you make an adapter (which I did) and your ext amp will trigger on +5v (the Monolith does), but it's always "on" if you're using the HDMI pass through feature and/or the "net control" feature (allows one to turn on amp via network)

I was using both of those features, but decided I can live without them, for now.

The big issue - Audyssey setup!

So I have a 7.1 speaker setup. Not using height or wide fronts. When you do Audyssey calibration, it ignores your speaker setup and "tests" for speakers at every location during the first point cal.

This works fine when using the internal 809 amps, not so much when using an ext amp as the pre-out for the rears and front wide/height speakers are shared.

So when the 809 Audyssey goes about it first point "is a speaker there" test, it finds one for all six speakers: rears, front height, & front wides!

This really messes up the calibration - making for hollow weird sounding sound stage.

I had to cover the cal mic when it was sending out a signal to my "phantom" front wides/height speakers to it couldn't detect them so I could complete the cal.

I'll be getting an Atmos AVR soon, but it won't be an Onkyo!
nightfly85 is offline  
post #6517 of 6520 Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ltd76gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Zigzag Oregon / South Padre Island Texas
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
6500 posts
This avr is still being hammered by some... Few....

I sold Onkyo, Denon, Sony, HK, Marantz and McIntosh.

Onkyo, to their credit, extended the warranty by years. Only company I have ever seen do that even when they knew they may have screwed the pooch.... Ever.

Bad Scaling? Compared to what? At the time the two line video scalers were available, the Onkyo 809 had Both. Sure, back in 2011, 2160 p was rare as no displays for common folk had enough pixels to matter, but to say that the upconversion from 480i to 1080p was iffy just does not ring true.

Test Patterns Prove this.

Of course, with bd being the game online right now... Who cares? Through, as you say, works well. By the way, that leave the scaler in the loop. Direct, omits any scaling.

But if you are shooting 110" image from an old old old DVD, the scaler incorporated into the 809 is stellar.... Still! Almost no artifacting and while a bit of cleaning with most higher end fp's, good results are there.

Just as an FYI, I sold a bunch of 809's. None.. ZERO, I sold have had issues. Others have for sure and Onkyo responded with reasonable warranty extensions.

Just getting tired of the incorrect bashing perhaps.

Doug k
ltd76gold is offline  
post #6518 of 6520 Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
overwilhelmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Been silent for years on this forum but a change in displays has me back in the forums left to catch up on all the advancements of the past 4 years....

I owned the TXNR809 without any issue for several years. My new display is HDR and 4K compatible (Vizio M65-D0). I see that the Onkyo is "4K Compatible" meaning it upscales to 4K. From what I gather, it doesn't allow 4K pass-through which doesn't phase me since there isn't much 4K sources out there anyway.

The answer regarding HDR though, is less clear. Will the AVR allow the pass-through of HDR? I haven't had an opportunity to test this yet but with the upcoming PS4 update, I would like to be prepared.
theoldfarter likes this.

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
overwilhelmed is offline  
post #6519 of 6520 Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
ltd76gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Zigzag Oregon / South Padre Island Texas
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The 809 will not as you know " pass through" a 4 k signal. Included in that is HDR's expanded color gamut, and corresponding contrast ratios afforded by rec 2020 range.

You are also correct that there is a dearth of source material and that which is available is still very much in a "formative" stage.

The 809 will although still possess the audio capabilities it has now. Your sources with HDR will need to be routed directly to the the HDR display with audio routed to the avr through toslink or similar digital inputs. (even hdmi) if the source has that output capacity.

Imo and many others, the game changer will be when there is sufficient media available to warrant a major overhaul of adequate sound reproduction gear with the corresponding ability of displays and the finalization of the new format.

Heck, top of the line theaters are still working out the bugs.

Not the best of timesnto be an early adopter. 4k was and still is of marginal value. HDR, on the other hand, may well be fabulous for those with emissive displays. Projectors in theater home systems are really a ways out unless you wish to completely disregard reflective light output, ie.. You would like to be able to see the next day after viewing a film.

Again, pretty much just my opinion. I want the CR that HDR affords, who would not. The problem is that without a verified standard and a means to measure that standard, we are going to have to just wing it with our gear and go with the flow for a bit.

Your 809 and for that matter almost all avr's will do a fine job as aural switchers. They will be necessarily replaced by those that will work with the new standards once those are set and there is enough media to drive the market to upgrade.

All the best
Doug k
overwilhelmed likes this.
ltd76gold is offline  
post #6520 of 6520 Old 09-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Senior Member
 
overwilhelmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
The 809 will not as you know " pass through" a 4 k signal. Included in that is HDR's expanded color gamut, and corresponding contrast ratios afforded by rec 2020 range.

You are also correct that there is a dearth of source material and that which is available is still very much in a "formative" stage.

The 809 will although still possess the audio capabilities it has now. Your sources with HDR will need to be routed directly to the the HDR display with audio routed to the avr through toslink or similar digital inputs. (even hdmi) if the source has that output capacity.

Imo and many others, the game changer will be when there is sufficient media available to warrant a major overhaul of adequate sound reproduction gear with the corresponding ability of displays and the finalization of the new format.

Heck, top of the line theaters are still working out the bugs.

Not the best of timesnto be an early adopter. 4k was and still is of marginal value. HDR, on the other hand, may well be fabulous for those with emissive displays. Projectors in theater home systems are really a ways out unless you wish to completely disregard reflective light output, ie.. You would like to be able to see the next day after viewing a film.

Again, pretty much just my opinion. I want the CR that HDR affords, who would not. The problem is that without a verified standard and a means to measure that standard, we are going to have to just wing it with our gear and go with the flow for a bit.

Your 809 and for that matter almost all avr's will do a fine job as aural switchers. They will be necessarily replaced by those that will work with the new standards once those are set and there is enough media to drive the market to upgrade.

All the best
Doug k


Thanks for the great response. Naturally I will mess around with my 809 and the PS3 when the HDR update comes through but at least I now know we are in between the tides of the technology. Helps explain why I'm not seeing a ton of info in my research. Thanks again!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
overwilhelmed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off