"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #6541 of 6552 Old 02-06-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilal2ielli View Post
Correct. Hopefully your source that outputs the lossless audio formats has a secondary HDMI out.

It doesn't. That's why I think the HDMI splitter will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 6552 Old 02-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Onkyo repl. 809

Looking to setup a smaller system in another living room....

I guess i'm leaning toward Onkyo again, even with HDMI board past issues etc..

So $400 range or used market, what all do you think?

Just basic 5.1, network wireless stuff...

Thanks
post #6543 of 6552 Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings.

This was written by ltd76gold, in post #6525:
"You may find that the "AUTO" setting in "Monitor Out" does the best job.
The 809 will then sense what it is being fed from the source and will use its internal HQV processor".

Also:
"If, on the other hand, you have a display with an excellent onboard resolution processor or a new 4k unit, "DIRECT" might be your best option available in the picture mode menu after you have set the "Monitor out" resolution to "SOURCE". Or, if the above is true, simply set the Monitor out to THROUGH and the HQV processor will be defeated."

My TV is a 2015 55" Samsung 4K SUHD JS9000. I have no 4K sources. I feed signals to the 809 from a Panasonic Blu-ray player (built-in Freeview TV terrestrial tuner and a Hard Drive), a standard Sky box, a PS4 and watch a lot of movies, in .MKV format, off portable Hard Drives plugged into a Western Digital TV Media Player. All are connected to the 809 via HDMI, except the PS4. It's HDMI goes into an input on the One-Connect Box which has it'e "HDMI UHD Color" set to ON. PS4 sound is via Optical cable to the 809, from the One-Connect Box.

Does anyone know if the upscaling in the JS9000 produces a better picture from my sources, than the upscaling chip(s) in the 809?

Now that you know what my sources are and what my TV is, if the TV will do a better job than the 809, should "DIRECT" be selected in the picture mode menu after setting the "Monitor out" resolution to "SOURCE", or, set the Monitor out to THROUGH and the HQV processor will be defeated?

I would like to get the best pictue I can, concentrating on the 1080p .MKV movies that have been taken from Blu-ray. Most of the files are in the range of 12GB to 22GB size.

Long time reader

PS. My 809 had it's HDMI board replaced by an Onkyo service agent 2.5 years ago and has had no problems since then. Onkyo will be on my short list when I upgrade the receiver, when 4K sources are more common. Lets hope it does not go the way 3D did. The JS9000 is a 3D TV and I like 3D!

Trevor
New Zealand

post #6544 of 6552 Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulzar View Post
It doesn't. That's why I think the HDMI splitter will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Question to all:

I have my PS4's HDMI go directly to the One-Connect Box (OCB) on my Samsung 4K SUHD JS9000 TV, so I can play UHD enhanced games (I turned on the UHD Color on that HDMI input and did adjustments in the PS4 menu). Sound goes from the Optical output of the OCB, to the 809. Unfortunately, Optical does not support DTS HD-MA and Dolby True-HD. If I was to feed the HDMI from the PS4 into a HDMI splitter (one in,two out), can I then feed the second HDMI to the 809, to use it for the DTS HD-MA and Dolby True-HD sound? I would disconnect the Optical cable.

If so, is there any downside?

Thank you.
post #6545 of 6552 Old 02-15-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post
Looking to setup a smaller system in another living room....

I guess i'm leaning toward Onkyo again, even with HDMI board past issues etc..

So $400 range or used market, what all do you think?

Just basic 5.1, network wireless stuff...

Thanks
My 809 was great, never had any problem with it for years but I am aware that a lot of people have had problems. What does really bug me is that Onkyo never provided a SiriusXM firmware update for the 809 after SiriusXM changed their codec. So my 809 was rendered useless for listening to XM, which I did a lot.

I later ended up winning a Denon X5200 in a contest, so I just replaced the 809 with the Denon. The Denon does seem to sound just a tad better than the 809(newer dac converters?). From everything I've read recently, I think if I were you, I'd look at a Denon or Yamaha. Yamaha seems to have the best reputation for just working right and for reliability. For $400, you should be able to get a very nice mid range receiver.

FAMILY ROOM SYSTEM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers, PSB Image 5T tower speakers, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, Oppo BDP-83 universal disc player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo DV 980H DVD player, Panasonic DMP DT210 Blu-ray player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #6546 of 6552 Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
The 809 will not as you know " pass through" a 4 k signal. Included in that is HDR's expanded color gamut, and corresponding contrast ratios afforded by rec 2020 range.

You are also correct that there is a dearth of source material and that which is available is still very much in a "formative" stage.

The 809 will although still possess the audio capabilities it has now. Your sources with HDR will need to be routed directly to the the HDR display with audio routed to the avr through toslink or similar digital inputs. (even hdmi) if the source has that output capacity.

Imo and many others, the game changer will be when there is sufficient media available to warrant a major overhaul of adequate sound reproduction gear with the corresponding ability of displays and the finalization of the new format.

Heck, top of the line theaters are still working out the bugs.

Not the best of timesnto be an early adopter. 4k was and still is of marginal value. HDR, on the other hand, may well be fabulous for those with emissive displays. Projectors in theater home systems are really a ways out unless you wish to completely disregard reflective light output, ie.. You would like to be able to see the next day after viewing a film.

Again, pretty much just my opinion. I want the CR that HDR affords, who would not. The problem is that without a verified standard and a means to measure that standard, we are going to have to just wing it with our gear and go with the flow for a bit.

Your 809 and for that matter almost all avr's will do a fine job as aural switchers. They will be necessarily replaced by those that will work with the new standards once those are set and there is enough media to drive the market to upgrade.

All the best
Doug k
Is this confirmed? Have you or anyone else tried passing 4k/hdr the '809? Not trying to be condescending, but I have an issue with pushing 4k/hdr over 20 foot lengths and if the onkyo could do it - that would be a lifesaver.
post #6547 of 6552 Old 02-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My data source was a moderator on the Onkyo forum regarding the 809's inability to pass through any 4k signal.

The HQV processor will although upsample to a display that can handle it, any lessor source to 4k res. No HDR AFAIK as it was still in the process of being (perfected?).

Concerning your 20'run...should be no problem with a latest version of hdmi cabling.

Hope this helps,

Doug k
post #6548 of 6552 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Bump of my two posts 6543 & 6544. Any reply would be appreciated, particularly by ltd76gold
post #6549 of 6552 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

I've not actually run an hdmi splitter but see no disadvantages.
My advice is to try it.

If for any reason it fouls up remember this... The aural difference between the lossy format with tos link and lossless true HD or dts HD are so minimal that if you have to go that way.... You probably would only miss the pretty lights, not any real loss of audio quality..
All the best
Doug k
post #6550 of 6552 Old Today, 03:39 AM

@ltd76gold

Thanks for your answer on using an HDMI splitter.

Of vital interest to me, is this question:
Do you know if the upscaling in the Samsung 4K JS9000 produces a better picture from sources, than the upscaling chip(s) in the 809?

Thank you.
post #6551 of 6552 Old Today, 06:36 AM

I do not.

HDR, is the grail imo anyway. Once Dolby Vision becomes The standard...........

Manufacturers are in another "contest" and if hdr10 is not shellacked, then we will end up with something akin to vhs winning over beta.

Try, with decent source material, both.

Throw in a new copy of a film you know well and see for yourself. My money is on the display, but that is just a wild guess.

All the best,
Doug k

Last edited by ltd76gold; Today at 06:45 AM.
post #6552 of 6552 Old Today, 06:49 AM

A bd of course... Not a new format disk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread