"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes
post #6571 of 6576 Unread 04-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
odd problem

After years of daily use my tx-nr809 had the no sound problem. I learned about the extended warranty and sent it in for repair. Amazingly it was returned to me six days later with a sheet of paper saying 'modification complete' and that it had been reset to factory settings. I hooked it back up and it worked.

The only odd thing is when I go to bed at night I plug my phone (pixel xl, android 7.1.2) into its charger next to my bed. Then the receiver and tv (samsung 75" 8500 series) turns back on in the living room. If I have left my apple tv turned on with my directv now app then the tv is on and sound playing through the receiver. I have to get back up and go turn it off.

I am puzzled why plugging my phone in to power causes this action.

I don't know that this is related to the receiver so I may not be posting this question in the right place. Just that the repair was the last change I made to my system.

I also have a chromecast ultra plugged into the receiver and the google home app on my phone. I have the apple tv and and xbox one plugged into the tv and use ARC to get sound back to the receiver. I use the hdmi cec on my devices so when one turns on the others do and I can control my volume.

I have samsung smartthings devices throughout my house for lights and security. Also a couple of alexa's.

So my question is: why is my tv and receiver turning on when I plug my phone in?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6576 Unread 04-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Network On?

Quote:
The only odd thing is when I go to bed at night I plug my phone (pixel xl, android 7.1.2) into its charger next to my bed. Then the receiver and tv (samsung 75" 8500 series) turns back on in the living room. If I have left my apple tv turned on with my directv now app then the tv is on and sound playing through the receiver. I have to get back up and go turn it off.
Check to see if the "network on" option is enabled in the menu. A cheat for this is to feel the top of the AVR for heat when you know it has been off for a while. There is also a very small telltail on the AVR front display.

This model, when in "network Standby" gobbles 60 plus watts just idling, waiting for a signal to fire up a zone or whatever.

I cannot remember if that is a "factory default on" setting but I'd bet that is what yours is doing.

It could also be HDMI related... If you have the receiver set up to turn on the tv when the AVR powers up. Less of a chance of that but the Samsung might be picking up the phones power up and doing much the same thing.

All the best,
Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Retired )
post #6573 of 6576 Unread 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Check to see if the "network on" option is enabled in the menu. A cheat for this is to feel the top of the AVR for heat when you know it has been off for a while. There is also a very small telltail on the AVR front display.

This model, when in "network Standby" gobbles 60 plus watts just idling, waiting for a signal to fire up a zone or whatever.

I cannot remember if that is a "factory default on" setting but I'd bet that is what yours is doing.

It could also be HDMI related... If you have the receiver set up to turn on the tv when the AVR powers up. Less of a chance of that but the Samsung might be picking up the phones power up and doing much the same thing.

All the best,
Doug k
I checked the network setting and it is set to disabled. I also have just remembered I have the a smart power strip with the TV plugged into the 'master' port. Which is making me think the TV must be coming on first but it still doesn't make any sense to me.

post #6574 of 6576 Unread 04-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hmmnn,
Check that the rihd is off... Page 60.

No dice there... Plug the avr into the wall directly. Check if that helps.

Something is triggering the power. Do you have a whole house setup in play? Thermostat, lights, security?

Frankly, I'm at a loss with this one.

Doug k
post #6575 of 6576 Unread 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From Onkyo Tech, when asking about independent inputs & outputs for HDMI 1 & 2:

"
I do not believe the older Onkyo can do this, but the newer
Integras can do the sub as zone 2
and the settings are required in
the Initial setup.
example DRX-4 integra
"

so...I have a very nice TX-NR809 for sale if anyone is interested...
post #6576 of 6576 Unread Today, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the "HDMI OUT MAIN" output audio at all?

Quick question as I was not able to find the answer by searching this thread or google search but does the HDMI OUT MAIN for the TX-NR809 receiver output audio and video or just video?

The reason why is I'm using an Elgato Game Capture HD external capture card to record video from my PS3, and also using an HDMI splitter before it goes into the HDMI in on the Elgato: PS3 > ViewHD HDMI Mini Splitter > [Output 1] to HDMI Input on Onkyo TX-NR809 reciver & [Output 2] to Elgato HD & PC USB.

Everything worked fine and dandy that way, but I wanted to be able to capture anything with the Elgato going to the receiver because I have PS3, PS4, Steam Link, and RetroPie hooked up to the receiver's various inputs.

I know the Onkyo has the HDCP, so I unhooked the PS3 only setup and now have it set like this:
Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver HDMI OUT MAIN > Input on ViewHD HDMI Mini Splitter > [Output 1] to HDMI Input on LG TV & [Output 2] to Elgato HD & PC USB

So everything works great in 1080P with the video, but I get no audio at all. I suspect it's because the Onkyo is not outputting any audio at all over the HDMI. Is this by design or is there a receiver setting I am missing somewhere on this? I don't believe it's a setting on the Elgato as it worked fine before I had the splitter and the elgato on the HDMI in. Or does anyone have any suggestions for any workarounds?

Thanks in advance

This is the HDMI splitter I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread