post #811 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_ View Post

For Pandora, just use the receiver's display.

That seems so obvious I was afraid to ask! I have no idea what it would look like. Is it large enough to see from a normal seating area, say around 11 feet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

That seems so obvious I was afraid to ask! I have no idea what it would look like. Is it large enough to see from a normal seating area, say around 11 feet?

I use the Onkyo android app for Pandora. Nice ablum art etc..
post #813 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickett73 View Post

I use the Onkyo android app for Pandora. Nice ablum art etc..

I can see how that would work nicely. In a car with a Pandora enabled radio also.
But I'm kind of like the guy who has to have rubber knives and forks. Except for me, I am not smart enough to have a Smartphone. LOL

I do wonder what it looks like on the Onkyo display though, I'll find out in about 3 days if UPS is on schedule.
post #814 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

If you have really good vision, or small binoculars. Much better from the monitor as you can see more all at once instead of a little tickertape
post #815 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Hello to all any one have an issue on sound being to low on this Onkyo TX-NR809 I have tried so much to fix this I have return the product went to another store got the same model and keep getting the same results i've change HDMI Cables from Cheap to Expansive monster 17.8Gps i changed my Blu-ray player to oppo 93, I even had the repair guy from my 52" LCD change the Mainboard even though personaly I know there was nothing wrong with it, but just in case made somthing up to have them replace it under warranty heck i even had monster change my Power supply a HDP2500 just in case again, yet the sound is still to low.....Uhmm am I missing somthing is there a certain setting or settings one has to have in order here it good, because based on the hype I read on these threads this Recevier should sound unbelivable, but yet this is the second reciever and still.............I dont hear it. I have to crank it up to like 70 just to here it normal when i first turned it on it was like on 30dp

here is my set--up
52" LCD Sanyo
AT&T U-verse (cable TV)-CAT6a cables
OPPO 93- Blu-Ray
(3) HDMI Monster cable 1000HD at 17.8 Gbs
(1) Monster HDP 2500 Power surge/Power cleaner box
Onkyo TX-NR809
post #816 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½Baked View Post

If you have really good vision, or small binoculars. Much better from the monitor as you can see more all at once instead of a little tickertape

That's ok.. I'll keep using my 7" Haier TV from Target and I don't even have to get up.
post #817 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

glenncontreras

Why are you getting caught up in the number one the display? 70DB isn't that loud. I consider 62 low listening volume. 68 when I wanna hear it , and 72 is very loud. This isn't any different than the more powerful receivers from the past. Turn it up then it doesn't distort or anything , it's nice clean sound, why let the front panel bug you I don't get it.

"........I dont hear it. I have to crank it up to like 70"

Maybe you just need your hearing checked. Crank it up to 70 , 70db is hardly mind blowing loud. I've had mine to like 85 and it was loud as all hell and still clean sound.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #818 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncontreras View Post

Hello to all any one have an issue on sound being to low on this Onkyo TX-NR809 I have tried so much to fix this I have return the product went to another store got the same model and keep getting the same results i've change HDMI Cables from Cheap to Expansive monster 17.8Gps i changed my Blu-ray player to oppo 93, I even had the repair guy from my 52" LCD change the Mainboard even though personaly I know there was nothing wrong with it, but just in case made somthing up to have them replace it under warranty heck i even had monster change my Power supply a HDP2500 just in case again, yet the sound is still to low.....Uhmm am I missing somthing is there a certain setting or settings one has to have in order here it good, because based on the hype I read on these threads this Recevier should sound unbelivable, but yet this is the second reciever and still.............I dont hear it. I have to crank it up to like 70 just to here it normal when i first turned it on it was like on 30dp

here is my set--up
52" LCD Sanyo
OPPO 93- Blu-Ray
Onkyo TX-NR809

Pg54 of the English manual explains "intellivolume". You should be able to mitigate the problem, but you will need to set each active input. The mute attenuation is also adjustable.
post #819 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM

To HDtv00 well if you had yours to 85db clearly there somthing that i'm not configuring correctly because 70 it should sound perfectly well. Hell my 20 year old radio that i got when i was 7yrs old sounds louder and clear then this reciever. hense forth the question i was asking
P.s. I work for the U.S. Dept of energy here In Batavia Illinois at Fermi-Lab to work here one has to have none degrading hearing past the age of 25 because of the classified experimnets I'm 29 and I havn't even begun to have loss of hearing yet says the in-Lab surgen. so my ears can hear a pin drop
that's why i'm being a pain because i can hear the difference, I've heard other reciever that sound like then hell with great clean crisp sound
once again i ask what is up with low level sound.

to 1/2baked
thanks for the info on page 54 of the manual i've cheked the intelli volume per source and it goes to +6db to highest yet i still hear it low coming form my speakers, but the difference is that the surround sound is heard very loud that part got fix but you can bearly hear the vocals, how do i get to the Mute attenuation and adjust it were should it be?

oh one thing i forgot is the speakers i'm using are from Onkyo also there Onkyo SKS-Ht750
post #820 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Could you share the details of your 809 settings? Also, please list the steps you do to turn on TV, keep 809 off stuff...ie..even real basic stuff...just in case I missed out something...

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

I've used hdmi through standby mode every single day and it's never not worked.

post #821 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well come down here I'll let ya listen to what it's supposed to sound like on real speakers hehe I couldn't help it , sorry.

No really though, how did you set it up when you got it. Did you run audyssey. What have you done and not done each time setting the units up

post #822 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Patran ,
Sure I have mine hooked up to HTPC, xbox 360 , dvd player. I 90% of time running HTPC as it plays all blu ray , tv and music. My settings are

for video output
HDMI MAIN
Source

Hardware setup
HDMI
RIHD is off
hdmi through is on auto

With those settings I've never had any problem with hdmi signal with receiver off on my tv.

Oh GLENN make sure the audyssey volume leveling thing is set to off as well as intellivolume thats in Source Setup section then audyssey, its called dynamic volume I think.

post #823 of 6000 Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:

here is my set--up
52" LCD Sanyo
OPPO 93- Blu-Ray
Onkyo TX-NR809

use the audyssey to set speaker distance and levels. note the settings. when i set mine it made the front speakers at -7.5db. raise the levels to at least 0db. i set mine at +3db. then raise the other speaker levels proportionate with this level. so if back speakers are say -8 db then raise level to -0.5 db,or as in my case i made them +2.5db. raise each speaker level proportionatly . Also set intellivolume to +10. the intellivolume must be set for each input. such as for a bd player or a vcr or cd or tv, they must be set on each input. keep the default settings for everything else. such as dynamic eq on, dynamic volume off... etc. i had the same problem and this is what the onkyo tech told me to do. i use fairly efficient speakers, JBL L 100T, they run at 91db at 1 watt/meter . i do not understand why audyssey sets them so low. but i have run the setup numerous times with the same results. it's amazing all those who offered advice had no clue. nor did any of them bother to talk to onkyo. the onkyo tech actually told me to set the front speaker levels to +6db he then guessed at the other speaker levels. i figured if you run the audyssey use their levels proportionately. so you get the audyssey settings but at a higher level. now the avr cranks at 52 on the volume display. what gets me is the arrogance of some of these guys who only want to brag how great their setup is. flop it out mine is bigger...LOL
post #824 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM

Thank You for your honesty dannylsgr8 i will take that advice and hopfully it will fix the problem
post #825 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

It's late , he's from same state and close I was only busting his you know whats. It's not my fault I wouldn't use those speakers in my bathroom let alone Home Theater. Hey least they're not Bose, that's something. I think cranking up intellivolume and channel levels is stupid and really just avoiding a possible issue in setup if you ask me. Especially if you're just guessing and doing it to make it louder. Turn up the damn volume.

Run audyssey probably from all points. Check make sure it got the speaker distances right, have a look at the levels it set things channel wise. Turn off compression to level sounds at both places.

Sorry for hacking on ya. I actually feel sorry for you for having to go through so much trouble. I use a sound meter to check channel levels myself after audyssey runs. I don't have any volume issues. Just nice balanced sound. Did your other recievers that were loud enough have audyssey?

I mean it must be something, but changing the channel levels and cranking intellivolume up to +10 , christ you might as well just turn it up. Cause all that isn't needed for it to function properly.

"...LOL" the only thing funny is your bad advice.

post #826 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:

It's late , he's from same state and close I was only busting his you know whats. It's not my fault I wouldn't use those speakers in my bathroom let alone Home Theater. Hey least they're not Bose, that's something. I think cranking up intellivolume and channel levels is stupid and really just avoiding a possible issue in setup if you ask me. Especially if you're just guessing and doing it to make it louder. Turn up the damn volume.

Run audyssey probably from all points. Check make sure it got the speaker distances right, have a look at the levels it set things channel wise. Turn off compression to level sounds at both places.

Sorry for hacking on ya. I actually feel sorry for you for having to go through so much trouble. I use a sound meter to check channel levels myself after audyssey runs. I don't have any volume issues. Just nice balanced sound. Did your other recievers that were loud enough have audyssey?

I mean it must be something, but changing the channel levels and cranking intellivolume up to +10 , christ you might as well just turn it up. Cause all that isn't needed for it to function properly.

"...LOL" the only thing funny is your bad advice.

i got my advice from onkyo . perhaps you might try that as well. of course you may be over compensating as yours is not bigger. a 42 lcd tv is my bathroom tv. perhaps i should have used the word sensitivity instead of efficiency. obviously you are ignorant about speaker efficiency . the jbl is 91db at 1 watt/meter , the kef is 92db at1 watt/meter and the polks are 88db at 1 watt/meter. i am using JBL L 100T front speakers ,KEF uniq center speakers and 4 Polk dipole/bipole surround speakers and Velodyne dps 12 subwoofer and 55 samsung lcd. you could turn it up, but adjusting the levels up gives the illusion of more .frankly in the past i have never had to turn my avr past halfway to achieve a suitable volume . the max on the 809 is 99 , turning it up to 72 just seems wrong. with the audyessy setup you could not even hear it at 30 on the volume display. i compained to onkyo and the onkyo tech told to me to set it up with the increased levels. the onkyo tech support number is 8002291687. once audyssey setup is run audyssey recommends setting speakers to small. my dad is from illinois. funny he is neither ignorant nor conceitedly arrogant. the paradigm studio 100 efficiency is 93db at1 watt/meter. the volume display on the 809 does not represent db.
post #827 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Well come down here I'll let ya listen to what it's supposed to sound like on real speakers hehe I couldn't help it , sorry.

No really though, how did you set it up when you got it. Did you run audyssey. What have you done and not done each time setting the units up

the arrogance comment was directed specifically at you. just because you bought over priced speakers doesn't make you intelligent. i didn't say to guess, run audyssey use their levels but increase proportionately. you can't read as well . hopefully glen understood. try actually talking to a tech who knows and doesn't just shoot his mouth off. like mark twain said, it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt.
post #828 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Good morning to all
Good God you guy's really go at here, sorry i got you guy's going. Only thing i wanted was to get the quality that Onkyo and all these threads are claiming I read about for the 1009 and 809, when you start hitting at these level of recieviers its not chump change your spending, that's why i why being very picky and detailed about the sound was.
But thanks again Dannylsgr8 i will call Onkyo and asking whats going and see if i get some straight answers on this issue.
post #829 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea because tech support from manufacturers is helpful. I wouldn't trust a thing any so called tech gave from nearly any company. I mean why do you think a place like this started up in the first place. It sure wasn't because of knowledgeable tech support.

Your and your tech advice is stupid. Plain and simple.
"but adjusting the levels up gives the illusion of more .frankly in the past i have never had to turn my avr past halfway to achieve a suitable volume . the max on the 809 is 99 , turning it up to 72 just seems wrong. with the audyessy setup you could not even hear it at 30 on the volume display. i compained to onkyo and the onkyo tech told to me to set it up with the increased levels. the onkyo tech support number is 8002291687. once audyssey setup is run audyssey recommends setting speakers to small. my dad is from illinois. funny he is neither ignorant nor conceitedly arrogant. the paradigm studio 100 efficiency is 93db at1 watt/meter. the volume display on the 809 does not represent db." - You said it yourself goof, its the illusion of more. Not actually more lol

Actually yea the display volume is supposed to represent DB if you have it set up for Absolute.

These comments on are so stupid I won't even further comment on them. Well cept in that my 42 inch display is used for computer monitor. My reference level AE 4000 handles my 110 inch screen size just fine though thanks. Put that in your bathroom.

As for my overpriced speakers lol. They're rated as some of the best sounding and best price/performance speakers ever. So again more clueless comments from you. It's not my fault some people are happy with HTIB garbage.

"i will call Onkyo and asking whats going and see if i get some straight answers on this issue."

Complete waste of time. As is like I said turning up the speaker level inputs. It's no different than turning up the volume. I still don't understand why it's bad or evil to just turn it up. Instead of tweaking speaker level and pretending that isn't what you just did , just by different setting... I mean if you're having a problem fix it. Don't bury you head in the sand tweaking a setting to get false sense of improvement. Because nothing has improved dude, in the end you just turned it up via different menu/setting.

I gave some crap because a receiver of this level paired what clearly looks like to me HTIB speakers is almost silly. Sorry for giving ya so much guff it was just late and I was bored. Really at this point after all you've gone through I think you're just not happy with the unit. But if turning up the speaker level instead of just turning up the volume lol lets ya sleep at night , so be it.

post #830 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Good morning to all
Good God you guy's really go at here, sorry i got you guy's going. Only thing i wanted was to get the quality that Onkyo and all these threads are claiming I read about for the 1009 and 809, when you start hitting at these level of recieviers its not chump change your spending, that's why i why being very picky and detailed about the sound was.
But thanks again Dannylsgr8 i will call Onkyo and asking whats going and see if i get some straight answers on this issue.
sorry i don't like being called stupid by some pseudo intellectual . the solution i told you was an onkyo idea. i did refine it to include running audyssey and proportionately increasing the levels obtained by it. to me turning the volume up to 80 out of 99 didn't seem right. it goes against all past experience with receivers. i never had to turn one up past halfway before, so i was ready to take the thing back. it seemed my sony receiver had more kick. but after i increased the levels it rocked now i am happy.
post #831 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 AM

hdtvoo if speaker sensitivity is measured at 93db at 1 watt at 1 rmeter then , according to you , if you turn the volume display to 93 you are only using 1 watt, dweeb.. the decibels obtained from the speakers are a function of the speaker sensitivity , how much power it takes to drive the speaker and the resistance of the speaker, most are rated at 8 ohms, and at the reference levels used in the setup. the volume display does not represent decibels. not everyone can afford high end speakers but don't be fooled into thinking your speakers will raise your IQ. yeah i did say it creates the illusion of more. but for you, your money somehow creates the illusion that you know something.
post #832 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Ramble all you want to, the volume display is supposed to represent DB. Run test tones for each channel, use sound meter to check db level, Oh look they match exactly to what the volume readout says on the receiver, what magic. I'm not trying to say it's an exact measurement of db. I'm just saying it's supposed to represent sound level in general. It's certainly not oh look the knob is turned to 80 or 90 %. And I know what sensitivity is and how it works. Doesn't mean crap. Oh no I turned the knob up to 80% the sky is falling...News flash you turn it up, it works harder. I mean really you're a riot. I will say I think turning it up to 80 is way way to loud. I don't see how anyone could listen to it at that level unless they're in some massive room. How's this , your post count is relative to your IQ, least in these matters. Mr call tech support, that was just priceless. And trust me no illusion that I know a hell of a lot more than you do. I certainly know enough not to waste time calling tech support.

post #833 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM

And, now for a change a pace...

Last night I quit getting video out of my 809 through the Main HDMI out. Audio was still working fine. I bypassed the 809 straight to the TV and all my video sources worked. I then hooked up the Sub HDMI out on the 809 to the TV and video worked. Plugged back into Main HDMI with a new HDMI cable and no video... :-(
After pulling my hair out and stomping around like a 4 year who just got told I couldn't have a toy I wanted from the store (since I have one of those 4 year olds that does this at times I know what I am talking about here!) I finally pulled all power from the receiver and let it set for a bit. Plugged power back in and video is again playing through the Main HDMI out...
I do hope this is not an indication of what is to come... My receiver is just over 30 days old (from the store) and I would really hate for this thing to go down the path to the dark side!
post #834 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
point of order

please limit posts to technical info without the attacks on other members

Thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #835 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgendreau View Post
And, now for a change a pace...

Last night I quit getting video out of my 809 through the Main HDMI out. Audio was still working fine. I bypassed the 809 straight to the TV and all my video sources worked. I then hooked up the Sub HDMI out on the 809 to the TV and video worked. Plugged back into Main HDMI with a new HDMI cable and no video... :-(
After pulling my hair out and stomping around like a 4 year who just got told I couldn't have a toy I wanted from the store (since I have one of those 4 year olds that does this at times I know what I am talking about here!) I finally pulled all power from the receiver and let it set for a bit. Plugged power back in and video is again playing through the Main HDMI out...
I do hope this is not an indication of what is to come... My receiver is just over 30 days old (from the store) and I would really hate for this thing to go down the path to the dark side!
ever since i had issues with the no audio pass thru (avr off) i updated firmware and have not had an issue with it yet (knock on wood) also put avr on just surge only on ups

damn i hope video isnt going to be an issue either

loving my 809 so far
post #836 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Ramble all you want to, the volume display is supposed to represent DB.

I certainly know enough not to waste time calling tech support.
dB is just a scale ratio. It needs to be referenced to spl at a distance to have any meaning at all.

I am afraid you are spot on about most mfg tech support. More annoying than helpful most of the time. I guess they get so many calls where the solution is to plug the thing in that they have their hackles up all of the time- and thats the ones that actually know anything.
post #837 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger311 View Post
ever since i had issues with the no audio pass thru (avr off) i updated firmware and have not had an issue with it yet (knock on wood) also put avr on just surge only on ups

damn i hope video isnt going to be an issue either

loving my 809 so far
Still waiting for my 809.. keeping a log of all this helpful information. Hopefully more topics will get through unscathed.

Surge Only is a good idea.
Power protection, for sure, but most UPS do not have the best circuitry for delivering good AC power on demand. (Important for Power Amplifiers!)
I am not even talking about the sine wave issue when on battery but simply the routing of power to the outlets.

I use a Furman Elite that is not an UPS, but like it's Panamax cousin does cut off power if AC excursions are too high OR too low. Best protection is no connection theory. But the normal power delivered is over large gauge wiring with beefy terminations.

I do use an UPS for my PCs, PVRs, etc. because these are recording devices and normally you don't want to interrupt those when they are handling data, etc.

This is not my 'brainstorm' but a discussion that went on regarding plasma displays with Doug Blackburn who does reviews for Widescreen Review. It seems very reasonable to me, but everyone has choices. I am not here to argue for any side. There are more ideas than people sometimes.
post #838 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

here is my set--up
52" LCD Sanyo
OPPO 93- Blu-Ray
Onkyo TX-NR809
So far loving the 809 my surrounds are Onkyo HTIB till my Infinity surrounds arrive and they still sound good(not great) don't think I've turned mine up past 60 or 65 while watching B/R though my Oppo83 and it was loud.
Not sure why you would go through changing all you changed sounds like a setting I use all Monoprice cables even the 35ft to my projector.
Hope you find out whats wrong cause mine so fare has worked great.

Heres my set up.
Panasonic 65in plasma
Viewsonic Pro8100
All Monoprice cables
Oppo83
Toshiba XA2
Directv DVR
Onkyo 809
Front-Infinity Primus P363
Surrounds-Onkyo HTIB(waiting on Infinity-Primus P163)
post #839 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

I have a Denon 989 now. Im wondering if its worth upgrading to the onkyo 809. Does the Onkyo have better DAC? better Multi EQxt?
post #840 of 6000 Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM

I too noticed the sound level seemed really low compared to how high I had the volume set. I noticed all of my speakers were set to negative values by Audyssey. The fix for me, was to rerun Audyssey, but before doing that, to boost each level to a positive value, and making sure my sub was coming out the other end set very close to or at 0 db. This got all my numbers hovering around 0, some a few db + and some a few db -. Before they were all set really low, and the thing sounded really quiet even at "high" volumes. Now it seems fine.

I have also set Intellivolume (not much) on each input so that I get the same sound level on each of them. My cable box was much quieter than my PS3, so I would have the volume cranked much higher then switch over and it would be super loud. So I boosted that input so as to not get shocked like that.

However, even though it seemed low at "high" volumes, it would get REALLY loud if cranked up near the max. So unless you have the thing set to maximum and its still low db, I don't think anything is really wrong here. Its like the first 30% of the volume setting is so very low as to not be usable before I tweaked things a bit. Now it sounds great, and it can get so loud that the highest levels are totally unlistenable and I'd get a visit from the cops at that volume.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page