Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5994 Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gully_foyle View Post

Does anyone have their 809 hooked up via HDMI to a DirecTV DVR (HR20 or HR21 especially). In the past some Onkyo units have had issues when resuming from mute or trickplay (FF, REW, etc), where the sound doesn't restart for several seconds and the unit has to resynch the Dolby digital stream.

Admittedly I saw this back with an 875 and they've probably fixed it by now (or DirecTV has), but I'd hate to get one of these and find out that it has the same issues that got me to return the 875.

I can confirm that the issue is still there. I watch TV via my Xbox 360 (as an extender for a WMC 7 pc; hooked up to the 809 via HDMI) and when I pause or move around in a show and resume I miss somewhere between 1-2 seconds of audio. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's definitely annoying. And the time to resume is longer than my old receiver (an old JVC RX-9010VBK with coax and toslink digital audio -- no HDMI). So as a workaround, I just try to resume playback a couple seconds before where I really want to resume.

Interestingly, I was just watching Lord of the Rings EE on DVD in DTS with the 809, and there was NO perceptible delay when resuming in DTS mode. But my DVD player is hooked up via component cables with coax digital audio, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. But it does seem to be related to Dolby Digital, and not DirecTV or even HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5994 Old 07-04-2011, 06:33 AM

I am using onkytroller to control the 809 zones 1 and 2. Twice now onkytroller seemed that it could not communicate with the device. First time nothing at all. Second time, it appeared it could not communicate (no signs within the program) but when i was playing with zone 1, it did lower and raise the volume on the 809 just not showing it did on the troller. Rebooting the droid device did not solve it, I actually had to unplug and replug the 809. Note that I was able to access the 809 via the web ui before and after unplugging it.

Any ideas? Is this a onkytroller issue or an issue with the 809.
post #63 of 5994 Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM

If this is an isolated incident, it sounds like a failed handshake. The Onkytroller software on your Android device probably mis-recognized the device. Rebooting the 809 probably forced a long handshake. If it happens a lot you might have some interference on your 802.11 network. Just my guess-
post #64 of 5994 Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 PM

I'm thinking on upgrading from my 875 to either the 809 or 1009. Would that really be an upgrade? I know I will get a few new features but performance wise is it really an upgrade?
post #65 of 5994 Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluu View Post

I'm thinking on upgrading from my 875 to either the 809 or 1009. Would that really be an upgrade? I know I will get a few new features but performance wise is it really an upgrade?

Yes it would be a upgrade, much better sound than the 875, I listened to the 809 and could not believe how much better it sounded! I will buying the 809 on Friday and I can not wait!
post #66 of 5994 Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting my wireless dongle today. I'll let you all know how easy/difficult setup is and whether the reception via wifi is any good.
post #67 of 5994 Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgs05 View Post

I can confirm that the issue is still there. I watch TV via my Xbox 360 (as an extender for a WMC 7 pc; hooked up to the 809 via HDMI) and when I pause or move around in a show and resume I miss somewhere between 1-2 seconds of audio. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's definitely annoying. And the time to resume is longer than my old receiver (an old JVC RX-9010VBK with coax and toslink digital audio -- no HDMI). So as a workaround, I just try to resume playback a couple seconds before where I really want to resume.

Interestingly, I was just watching Lord of the Rings EE on DVD in DTS with the 809, and there was NO perceptible delay when resuming in DTS mode. But my DVD player is hooked up via component cables with coax digital audio, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. But it does seem to be related to Dolby Digital, and not DirecTV or even HDMI.

I don't believe that this is a sound processing issue, but one related to HDMI handshakes. The receiver is fairly slow with the whole handshake thing. Anytime I have a pause regardless of the source, unless it is non-hdmi (i.e. toslink/sdpif), there is a moment when the hdmi loses the connection. Look at the display. You might see no signal (though the picture will remain if you have HDMI passthrough).
post #68 of 5994 Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

Yes it would be a upgrade, much better sound than the 875, I listened to the 809 and could not believe how much better it sounded! I will buying the 809 on Friday and I can not wait!

Good to know. I'll be looking pick up the receiver the next time Newegg has a sale. Technological advances I know it will be an upgrade to the 875 but quality / performance, wasn't sure if that was true. For example the 875 is Ultra2 Plus certified while the 809 / 1009 is Select2 Plus certified - wondering if Onkyo has skimped anywhere else.
post #69 of 5994 Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiller66 View Post
I don't believe that this is a sound processing issue, but one related to HDMI handshakes. The receiver is fairly slow with the whole handshake thing. Anytime I have a pause regardless of the source, unless it is non-hdmi (i.e. toslink/sdpif), there is a moment when the hdmi loses the connection. Look at the display. You might see no signal (though the picture will remain if you have HDMI passthrough).
The issue (at least the one I saw before) seemed to be due to the DirecTV box not transitioning cleanly from Dolby Digital null packets to normal DD packets when the sound resumed (play or un-mute). The Onkyo 875 (sometimes) needed to restart its packet synch due to the DirecTV glitch. One symptom would be that the Onkyo display would drop out of DD mode for a few seconds. Note that this happened with optical as well, but no one runs optical anymore into a modern AVR, so it is hard to compare. Note also that changing the DirecTV box to simple stereo "fixed" it. This did not happen with Blu-ray discs or other devices -- it was clearly a conflict between DirecTV boxes and Onkyo.

Some other brands of receivers managed to track despite the glitch. Strictly speaking this is/was a DirecTV problem, but short of changing providers there's no happy fix there.
post #70 of 5994 Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gully_foyle View Post
The issue (at least the one I saw before) seemed to be due to the DirecTV box not transitioning cleanly from Dolby Digital null packets to normal DD packets when the sound resumed (play or un-mute). The Onkyo 875 (sometimes) needed to restart its packet synch due to the DirecTV glitch. One symptom would be that the Onkyo display would drop out of DD mode for a few seconds. Note that this happened with optical as well, but no one runs optical anymore into a modern AVR, so it is hard to compare. Note also that changing the DirecTV box to simple stereo "fixed" it. This did not happen with Blu-ray discs or other devices -- it was clearly a conflict between DirecTV boxes and Onkyo.

Some other brands of receivers managed to track despite the glitch. Strictly speaking this is/was a DirecTV problem, but short of changing providers there's no happy fix there.
I do think it's a resynching issue, but just to re-state, this re-synching issue *is* happening with OTA ATSC programs recorded on my WMC 7 pc (played back via an Xbox 360 Extender hooked up via HDMI). So it's not just DirecTV.

And back when I had a DirecTV HR22 hooked to my JVC RX-9010VBK with component and optical, the re-synching still happened, although it didn't take as long as it does now with the Onkyo/Xbox/HDMI combination. So it's not just HDMI either.
post #71 of 5994 Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike View Post
Where are the favorites saved for access?

I am new to the 809 or any stereo with internet access.

I found how to add favorites on the stereo using the remote and seeing it on the TV via HDMI. However, when I log into the unit via a web browser the only favorite that is there is the one made with vtuner. The others made for xm stations and Pandora channels are not listed in the web UI.

Thanks

Mike
I'm not sure I know the answer, as I'm new to the 809 (and Onkyo for that matter) too, but I'm confused by your question. How are you accessing the unit via a browser? Do you mean http://onkyo.vtuner.com? Or is there a way to access the unit directly using a browser? (I don't see anything about that in the manual.)

I have added a station to Pandora using the 809 and it shows up in my Pandora account when I access it using my WDTV or from a browser.
post #72 of 5994 Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I originally purchased my receiver from Crutchfield. It came with a sticker on the front identifying all of the wonderful features. It also had a color fold out of speaker hookups. In addition, it had a hard copy of the user manual.

I then purchased one from Newegg at $699. I just received it. It does not have the sticker, the color fold out, or a hard copy of the manual (just a cd). Is this the experience of anyone else, or do you think it's an indication that this is not a new unit. Everything else looks new.
post #73 of 5994 Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

I originally purchased my receiver from Crutchfield. It came with a sticker on the front identifying all of the wonderful features. It also had a color fold out of speaker hookups. In addition, it had a hard copy of the user manual.

I then purchased one from Newegg at $699. I just received it. It does not have the sticker, the color fold out, or a hard copy of the manual (just a cd). Is this the experience of anyone else, or do you think it's an indication that this is not a new unit. Everything else looks new.

Good question. I ordered mine from Newegg as well. It should be here tomorrow or Friday. I'll let you know what mine has. I want all the fancy stuff though-lol

Crutchfield seems to have a lot more information about the unit on its website than Newegg as well.
post #74 of 5994 Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Same deal here from Newegg. Manual on CD only. Quick start and tons of little flyers on hardcopy. The fancy logos are tastefully silkscreened on the top of the front bezel. I really like it MUCH better this way. I detest that the speaker posts do not accept spades.
post #75 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure I know the answer, as I'm new to the 809 (and Onkyo for that matter) too, but I'm confused by your question. How are you accessing the unit via a browser? Do you mean http://onkyo.vtuner.com? Or is there a way to access the unit directly using a browser? (I don't see anything about that in the manual.)

I have added a station to Pandora using the 809 and it shows up in my Pandora account when I access it using my WDTV or from a browser.

The first time I saved some XM and pandora stations in favorites using the remote and the TV (so you can see the menus) I saw the favorites under Net/Favorites.

Also, if you enter the ip address the the unit in a browser, you can see and save favorites there as well.

I went back the next day and they were gone.

I redid it this past weekend, and it appears they saved. I can see using the receiver menus, the web browser, and also onytroller. I have not checked to see if they erased again and will look tonight.

I do have issues with onkytroller losing communication and resetting the android devices does not fix it, but unplugging the recevied and plugging it back in fixes it. I am not sure why. next time it happes, I will also check with oRemote on my wife's ipad.

thanks,

Mike
post #76 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½Baked View Post

Same deal here from Newegg. Manual on CD only. Quick start and tons of little flyers on hardcopy. The fancy logos are tastefully silkscreened on the top of the front bezel. I really like it MUCH better this way. I detest that the speaker posts do not accept spades.

Is it the same unit? My neighbor jumped on the newegg deal after I suggested he do so and I need to set it up for him this weekend.

Any difference in the firmware?
post #77 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anybody know if the 809 still has the direct DSD decoding and playback for SACDs, as with older models? I looked at Onkyo's specs page and I didn't find anything about SACD or DSD Direct. I am assuming it will play DVD-Audio at the highest resolutions, given its 192/24 decoders.

post #78 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just got a response from Onkyo. Apparently, this is the new procedure with their higher end models.
post #79 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm getting my wireless dongle today. I'll let you all know how easy/difficult setup is and whether the reception via wifi is any good.

Plugged mine in yesterday. Very easy to setup. Went to usb. The unit found the dongle. I hit enter. It asked if I wanted to do a manual or automatic setup. I did manual and typed in the security code for my wifi. It connected, and I was up and running.

If you don't have a ethernet nearby, this is a cheap solution.
post #80 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Is it the same unit? My neighbor jumped on the newegg deal after I suggested he do so and I need to set it up for him this weekend.

Any difference in the firmware?

I don't know, but it is new production. The Manual has not changed, so I would guess it is physically the same. I am re-terminating my speaker cables Friday, so I have not used it yet.
post #81 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I just got a response from Onkyo. Apparently, this is the new procedure with their higher end models.

I got the $699 deal from Newegg (ordered on 6/18, shipped on 6/20) and I received a unit with hard copy manuals (one english, one french and/or spanish I believe - I left it in the box), "features" peel-off sticker on the front (logos are silk-screened on top in grey), and the color fold-out with speaker hook-ups illustrated. I *didn't* receive a disc.

Basically, everything in the photo on their site.

I guess the disc is a (very) recent change.
post #82 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Also, if you enter the ip address the the unit in a browser, you can see and save favorites there as well.

I didn't know about the IP address trick (this is my first Onkyo and first networked AVR). I would think that should be in the manual, but I just searched again and I don't see it. Is this a hidden/unsupported/service menu kind of thing?

Thanks for that info!
post #83 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I got the $699 deal from Newegg (ordered on 6/18, shipped on 6/20) and I received a unit with hard copy manuals (one english, one french and/or spanish I believe - I left it in the box), "features" peel-off sticker on the front (logos are silk-screened on top in grey), and the color fold-out with speaker hook-ups illustrated. I *didn't* receive a disc.

Basically, everything in the photo on their site.

I guess the disc is a (very) recent change.

I rather have the hard copy than the disc
post #84 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I didn't know about the IP address trick (this is my first Onkyo and first networked AVR). I would think that should be in the manual, but I just searched again and I don't see it. Is this a hidden/unsupported/service menu kind of thing?

Thanks for that info!

New to me too. I did not realize it. Then again, when I set it up I used the screen on front for the receiver and did not realize that if you hook up the HDMI to the tv first, you can have all the menus on the TV!!

Mike
post #85 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Does anybody know if the 809 still has the direct DSD decoding and playback for SACDs, as with older models? I looked at Onkyo's specs page and I didn't find anything about SACD or DSD Direct. I am assuming it will play DVD-Audio at the highest resolutions, given its 192/24 decoders.

Well, it was buried in the owner manual, but it does do DSD over HDMI. I am considering replacing my Yamaha RX-V1800 with the 809. I have never been particularly impressed with the overall audio quality and clarity of the 1800, specifically the center channel in movies. The center channel also often seems compressed as well. Yes, I know that may also be due to the speaker. But I hear systems set up at retailers with center speakers not nearly as good as mine, and they seem to be more clear and more dynamic.

post #86 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 PM

I also ordered from NewEgg (7/2) arrived today (7/7). My box contained manual and poster. Go figure.

Art
post #87 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Anyone else trying to use their Harmony remote with the 809? Logitech doesn't seem to have the device listed yet.
post #88 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstraub View Post

Anyone else trying to use their Harmony remote with the 809? Logitech doesn't seem to have the device listed yet.

I'm using the Harmony One, and it loaded up the 809 just fine.
post #89 of 5994 Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM

How does Newegg ship the receiver? Do they double box it?
post #90 of 5994 Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstraub View Post

i got the 809 working with the Logitech harmony 900. It finds the TX-NR809.

For zone 2, make a separate device can call it TX-NR809 (Zone 2). Do not use the IR, it will find a TX-NR808 (Zone 2) as a similiar device and that seems to work.

I stayed away from learning IR, because when I first set it up, instead of making a sep device for Zone 2, I added a couple of IR commands just for volume and it kept locking up the harmony.

I then realized I can do a sep device for zone 2.

For this sep device, I did not make a sep activity, I just choose the device in whatever activity I am in.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page