"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Member
 
dafish721's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Denon AVR-3312CI comes to mind.

I am coming from a Denon 3600 (old and no HDMI but I love it). Now with a new 3D TV (Sharp 70" 735) I wanted a 3D compatible receiver with 1.4a HDMI. The Denon is a little newer so the prices haven't had time to fall ($1000-1100). The Onkyo looks "beefier" and has all the features I want/need (except airplay) and can be had for $700. There are also some slightly older AVR out there that people like like the Pioneer Elite SC-35 or 37. Maybe I should post a general question in the receiver section to see what everyone's opinion is.
dafish721 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,423
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
^^
There are a number of Denon authorized resellers including Electronics Expo, 6Ave, ABT, as well as AV Science that sell at 20-30% off MSRP right out of the gate.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #903 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Member
 
ruger311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so running a motorola HDDVR and the 809, i have the pass through setting on "auto" and works like a champ as long as on HD channels, but when go to certain non HD channels i get a message from my TV that says "non supported mode" im like WTF

turn on the AVR and switch it over to cbl/sat and it works like a champ, turn off receiver then get the non supported mode again

doesnt sound right that the dvr doesnt push sd tv thru the avr, gonna try the dvr hdmi straight to tv tonight to see if its a dvr setting or what the heck is going on, if i cant figure it out im going back to component cables for dvr, tv is only 720p 1080i i belive (5 yrs old now)

anyone else have this issue?
ruger311 is offline  
post #904 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,423
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
^^
Is the DVR set to 720p or native?

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #905 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Member
 
ruger311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thats the issue right there is that it will not for some reason let me into setup, going to try another DVR remote tonight and see if i can get into it
ruger311 is offline  
post #906 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Newbie
 
Black Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Clinton, MD
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Has anyone run into an problem with black levels being significantly impacted by the 809? I have my Verizon FIOS cable box running through the 809 with the resolution set to "Auto" and blacks appear to be getting crushed to oblivion. I've found I have to jack the brightness control way up on that input (via the receiver picture controls) in order to restore any semblance of detail to the picture.

I'm planning on running through a calibration dvd to try and get things squared away again, but wasn't sure if there were some common settings that people have tried first. As it stands, I can't see squat!

Slaine I am experiencing the same thing with both "through" and "custom" video modes. According to the manual "through" mode should only change the resolution but the picture is just as dark as if I were using the default values in "custom" mode. Only "direct" mode seems to leave the picture quality unaffected. Very frustrating since I wanted to use the receiver to upscale SD television. Does anyone have a fix for "through" mode? I already have updated to the latest firmware
Black Max is offline  
post #907 of 6125 Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videoaddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 2,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been happy with how my sources deal with the signal, especially SAT and my BD player, which are the most important to me. I think the picture might even be a notch better in 'direct'. There is no reason it should be, but looks at least as good as when I was feeding my display directly.
videoaddikt is offline  
post #908 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Newbie
 
olli_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Has anyone run into an problem with black levels being significantly impacted by the 809? I have my Verizon FIOS cable box running through the 809 with the resolution set to "Auto" and blacks appear to be getting crushed to oblivion. I've found I have to jack the brightness control way up on that input (via the receiver picture controls) in order to restore any semblance of detail to the picture.

I'm planning on running through a calibration dvd to try and get things squared away again, but wasn't sure if there were some common settings that people have tried first. As it stands, I can't see squat!

Same here, see my posts #111 and #598. It seems not all units are affected, so it might be a hardware issue. It would help if everyone experiencing this problem would contact customer support about this...
olli_h is online now  
post #909 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM
wl1
Advanced Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
cadett in #861 makes good sense to me, ref "Direct" and "Custom" settings not affecting white balance, gamma, saturation, or hue.

I have just found how to use ISF modes - apologies if this is a repeat. Thought it might be useful.

"First you need to go into the source setup (inside the main setup) then move down and select picture settings, then you will see the custom mode, using the nav keys (left/right) you can select ISF Day/Night. When you have selected day or night you can then change these settings by pressing the display button(on the remote) for 8 seconds, this then allows you to change the settings within the relevant mode, if you come out of the setup menu at any stage the settings will lock, but I only recommend playing with the settings if you have the appropriate measurement equipment, or get an ISF/THX video certified professional to the the calibration for you. Don't forget you need to calibrate the display first !. "

and also

"The best way to calibrate is.... DO THE main display first to REC709, then check the main out from the 809. Then feed the patterns into each input and check for consistant readings, if there are any adjustments needed then do it in the AVR , DON'T touch the main display once you have calibrated it. "

I have still to try this myself, but I am hopeful of finding a solution to my TV HDMI input from AMP having compromised settings due to various inputs. Looks like I may have to let the video processing of the Amp loose..
wl1 is offline  
post #910 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

cadett in #861 makes good sense to me, ref "Direct" and "Custom" settings not affecting white balance, gamma, saturation, or hue.

I have just found how to use ISF modes - apologies if this is a repeat. Thought it might be useful.

"First you need to go into the source setup (inside the main setup) then move down and select picture settings, then you will see the custom mode, using the nav keys (left/right) you can select ISF Day/Night. When you have selected day or night you can then change these settings by pressing the display button(on the remote) for 8 seconds, this then allows you to change the settings within the relevant mode, if you come out of the setup menu at any stage the settings will lock, but I only recommend playing with the settings if you have the appropriate measurement equipment, or get an ISF/THX video certified professional to the the calibration for you. Don't forget you need to calibrate the display first !. "

and also

"The best way to calibrate is.... DO THE main display first to REC709, then check the main out from the 809. Then feed the patterns into each input and check for consistant readings, if there are any adjustments needed then do it in the AVR , DON'T touch the main display once you have calibrated it. "

I have still to try this myself, but I am hopeful of finding a solution to my TV HDMI input from AMP having compromised settings due to various inputs. Looks like I may have to let the video processing of the Amp loose..

That would be the pefered method of setting this reciever up with your setup & if everything is functioning properly, I think you will find that this method will work. As long as each input is set to custom or direct(no video processing).

My Panasonic 60ST60 Settings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cadett is offline  
post #911 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Newbie
 
olli_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

cadett in #861 makes good sense to me, ref "Direct" and "Custom" settings not affecting white balance, gamma, saturation, or hue.

I have just found how to use ISF modes - apologies if this is a repeat. Thought it might be useful.

"First you need to go into the source setup (inside the main setup) then move down and select picture settings, then you will see the custom mode, using the nav keys (left/right) you can select ISF Day/Night. When you have selected day or night you can then change these settings by pressing the display button(on the remote) for 8 seconds, this then allows you to change the settings within the relevant mode, if you come out of the setup menu at any stage the settings will lock, but I only recommend playing with the settings if you have the appropriate measurement equipment, or get an ISF/THX video certified professional to the the calibration for you. Don't forget you need to calibrate the display first !. "

and also

"The best way to calibrate is.... DO THE main display first to REC709, then check the main out from the 809. Then feed the patterns into each input and check for consistant readings, if there are any adjustments needed then do it in the AVR , DON'T touch the main display once you have calibrated it. "

I have still to try this myself, but I am hopeful of finding a solution to my TV HDMI input from AMP having compromised settings due to various inputs. Looks like I may have to let the video processing of the Amp loose..

The display button trick also works in the monitor out setup enabling access to some global picture settings...
olli_h is online now  
post #912 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Member
 
EManT2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fruitland, Md.
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Has anyone run into an problem with black levels being significantly impacted by the 809? I have my Verizon FIOS cable box running through the 809 with the resolution set to "Auto" and blacks appear to be getting crushed to oblivion. I've found I have to jack the brightness control way up on that input (via the receiver picture controls) in order to restore any semblance of detail to the picture.

I'm planning on running through a calibration dvd to try and get things squared away again, but wasn't sure if there were some common settings that people have tried first. As it stands, I can't see squat!



Same here, I tried the remake of The Mummy when I set up my 809. When setting it to through, the dark scenes, scenes at night, and in the mummy's tomb, were almost completely un-watchable. Had to do some serious adjusting within the 809 to get it to acceptable levels ! ! ! I actually returned mine because it would not have sound when trying to play cd's through the optical cd input. Hoping the replacement, which arrives tomorrow, will fare much better than the first.
EManT2200 is offline  
post #913 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
joeyvaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

So I've been playing around with my receiver for a bit now and it is sounding better.

But I have two concerns:

1. Today I was watching a movie and the receiver reset itself....Anyone else experience this? I was listening to a movie at around 70-75.

2. Bass. One of my two Definitive Technology Mythos STS's sounds like it is bottoming out and going crazy with some scenes. This was never the case before with my old 609 and 606. Audyssey set my speaker to 40hz and the crossover to 80hz....which seems ok, the manual for the speakers states to set to full range, but even when I do that it does the same thing with the bass. Maybe a bad amplifier in my speaker?



I have had the exact thing happen with my Elemental Design sub. I have two setup and 2 ED sub, both did the exact same thing: bottoming out, not really pronounced and in your face. Now, with my Pioneer VSX23 and 94 elite receivers, these subs NEVER experienced this. After much tweaking (on the home menu, in the setup menu, on the subs) the only thing that got my subs working properly was running Audessy multiple times.

NOW FINALLY, the system sounds as it should. I don't know why it happens, but this receiver does inconsistent things during the calibration process. Up until this last time, my Def Tech Mythos Ones/Eight/BPX2 sounded like crap! My elites blew the 809 the first month while I was tweaking and tinkering. But this last time the calibration was dead on and the speaker volume is consistent and the subs sound GREAT!!!!

So try running Audessy again. It was the only thing that worked for me and hopefully the same thing happens for you.
joeyvaz is offline  
post #914 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Member
 
SteveL1949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ashby Ma.
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
subscribe
SteveL1949 is offline  
post #915 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

[/b]

I have had the exact thing happen with my Elemental Design sub. I have two setup and 2 ED sub, both did the exact same thing: bottoming out, not really pronounced and in your face. Now, with my Pioneer VSX23 and 94 elite receivers, these subs NEVER experienced this. After much tweaking (on the home menu, in the setup menu, on the subs) the only thing that got my subs working properly was running Audessy multiple times.

NOW FINALLY, the system sounds as it should. I don't know why it happens, but this receiver does inconsistent things during the calibration process. Up until this last time, my Def Tech Mythos Ones/Eight/BPX2 sounded like crap! My elites blew the 809 the first month while I was tweaking and tinkering. But this last time the calibration was dead on and the speaker volume is consistent and the subs sound GREAT!!!!

So try running Audessy again. It was the only thing that worked for me and hopefully the same thing happens for you.

Hey Joey thanks for the input,

I bought my Def Techs used and I just inquired about getting the proper mounts for the bottoms of the base of the towers. I have noticed them moving by themselves so I figured something was up. According to Def Tech the bottoming out could be related. Also I notice it isn't with all bass just some...like the first 30 seconds of Transformers two there is some bass that makes the sub go nuts.

Oddly enough other than occasional bass problem I am happy with the sound right now...Music still sounds a bit off. It is almost as if the receiver needed time to break in (which I know sounds crazy). I do plan on doing the audyssey setup again though once I buy a camera tripod for more accurate readings.

Thanks again, good to know I wasn't going crazy
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #916 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
One thing that is confusing me is the picture modes. Through mode states that it does not adjust picture quality but does change the resolution. Direct mode also states that it does not adjust picture quality, but does not adjust resolution.

My confusion is this, they both say they do not adjust picture quality, but the pictures are very different. I very much like the way Through looks, and I hope that is the un-touched image, but I want to be sure as I have a brand new tv and I can't tell what it is supposed to be. I would prefer things be untouched by the receiver as I just broke in my plasma and used custom settings that are supposed to create a "perfect" picture.

Thanks for any input
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #917 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Newbie
 
Black Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Clinton, MD
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

One thing that is confusing me is the picture modes. Through mode states that it does not adjust picture quality but does change the resolution. Direct mode also states that it does not adjust picture quality, but does not adjust resolution.

My confusion is this, they both say they do not adjust picture quality, but the pictures are very different. I very much like the way Through looks, and I hope that is the un-touched image, but I want to be sure as I have a brand new tv and I can't tell what it is supposed to be. I would prefer things be untouched by the receiver as I just broke in my plasma and used custom settings that are supposed to create a "perfect" picture.

Thanks for any input

Well I don't know about others but on my unit "Through" mode is DEFINITELY adjusting the picture. For now I'm using "direct" which appears to leave the signal untouched.
Black Max is offline  
post #918 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videoaddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 2,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FWIW, I have an Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub (Hsu VTF based design) and previously I was running it in an extended mode which sets the cut off at 20Hz.
Following the Audyssey cal I noticed the bass seemed overpowering. So I thought of just trimming the level back. Instead, I just switched off the extended mode which also involves removing the plug from one of the dual ports.
Like magic, the bass toned down to a very reasonable level without any loss of impact. It can still shake the timbers of my chair when needed (in a room with a carpeted slab floor) but with music bass is still full and musical. I have a fairly modest sized room so this change among others I've done based on the Audyssey results seem to just fit right.
I'm learning a lot with this new receiver and every change has added an element to listening pleasure that I don't recall having before with my previous setup. And this goes beyond how the 'receiver sounds'. In fact I am noticing the music more and the receiver less.
videoaddikt is offline  
post #919 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Max View Post

Well I don't know about others but on my unit "Through" mode is DEFINITELY adjusting the picture. For now I'm using "direct" which appears to leave the signal untouched.

I'm thinking your correct. I'm gonna leave it on direct for now.

There must be some sort of typo in the manual for through mode. Maybe someone else knows what's up.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #920 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Newbie
 
CJ Han's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to AV setups so apologies in advance if this is an obvious/silly question.
The sound from my 809 is out of sync with the TV image, especially obvious when people are speaking. This happens with all the movie audio settings including Direct.
It looks to me like the TV images are slower than the sound from the 809.
Sound from the TV speakers alone is fine but obviously I'd prefer to have 5.1 through my 809!
I'm using HDMI throughout, between TV AVR and BD player.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and suggestions on how I can fix this?
CJ Han is offline  
post #921 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Newbie
 
CJ Han's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Btw, TV is the Samsung UA55D7000 LED TV.
CJ Han is offline  
post #922 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Member
 
kengoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A/V Sync...

While viewing the source input you want to change, go to the 809's MENU and select SOURCE SETUP and then AV SYNC. You can +/- the video/audio sync. I think you can even view the result in real time without having to go back in and out.

The same thing happens to my PC input (eg itunes), although I have yet to make the adjustment. So, I can't confirm this works!

I have the previous year Samsung UA55C7000.
kengoo is offline  
post #923 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Member
 
blumonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How good is the Onkyo 809?
I'm presently using a Harman Kardon 3600 and was thinking of a possible upgrade.
I've checked out integra 50.2, read about marantz 7005 and now I'm learning about Onkyo's. I know there's been horror stories about the 808, but will the 809 be a drastic step up from my HK? Any help would be appreciated.
blumonk is offline  
post #924 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Member
 
NeogeoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Max View Post

Slaine I am experiencing the same thing with both "through" and "custom" video modes. According to the manual "through" mode should only change the resolution but the picture is just as dark as if I were using the default values in "custom" mode. Only "direct" mode seems to leave the picture quality unaffected. Very frustrating since I wanted to use the receiver to upscale SD television. Does anyone have a fix for "through" mode? I already have updated to the latest firmware

Try changing the HDMI settings in your tv/projector, I changed the setting in my JVC projector from "auto" to "advanced" and gained a lot of detail in the shadows.

I havent tried ajusting the ISF day/night modes posted by wl1, but right now I get an incredible picture with in custom mode, huge diference.

With ISF Day I would get a lot of puch in the image and incredible detail in the shadows, but would get lower contrast, and with ISF night its the other way arround, I lost got the contrast but lost detail in shadows and punch, so I tried the custom mode and after adjusting the image with a calibration video I was able to get huge detail in the shadows and a bright picture while maintaining the contrast.

I am thrilled with the HQV procesor in the 809, before having the receiver y had to choose and sacrifice detail in the shadows to get a good black levels, but with the Custom setings y can boost the brightness level to +3 and get the detail without loosing black intensity.
It also gives me a more crisp and sharp picture and with less noise.

I am very happy with all the features the receiver has, its got everything I needed and more, my only complain is that soundwise my old Denon 2808 sounded a little bit better, they sound very alike specially thanks to Audyssey, but there are some details that sounded better on my Denon, especially noticible when listening music with piano, where the notes sounded more real and detailed in my Denon.

Movie whise they sound more alike, although I still think that Denon has de edge, Ive noticed this in one of my bluray concerts (Toto), where the electric guitar sounded better in the Denon.

On the positive side on movies the Onkyo moves the sound in the room with a little bit more eficiency, and the sorround speakers are more alive and seem to be working more.

Overall I am very pleased with the Onkyo, with great contruction, doest have any heating problems, gives an amazing picture quality, and great sound, just a tiny bit short compared to my Denon, its got a huge amount of features and inputs/outputs, 3D ready etc..., glad I have the 2 HDMI outputs.

Greetings from Spain.
NeogeoG is offline  
post #925 of 6125 Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Member
 
patran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great! HDMI / RIHD is off is the solution. With RIHD turned on, I can't get passthru to work...

RIHD provides a number of neat feature (among other) such as controlling TV or Receiver volume with my setop/cable box remote...

Could you check to see if your passthrough work or does not work with RIHD on?

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Patran ,
Sure I have mine hooked up to HTPC, xbox 360 , dvd player. I 90% of time running HTPC as it plays all blu ray , tv and music. My settings are

for video output
HDMI MAIN
Source

Hardware setup
HDMI
RIHD is off
hdmi through is on auto

With those settings I've never had any problem with hdmi signal with receiver off on my tv.

Oh GLENN make sure the audyssey volume leveling thing is set to off as well as intellivolume thats in Source Setup section then audyssey, its called dynamic volume I think.

patran is offline  
post #926 of 6125 Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 AM
Member
 
vbgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

In some cases, but not all cases, when I switch to my TiVo input, the screen is mostly pink. Usually if I switch to another input and back to the TiVo, it is OK, but this is annoying and should not happen. Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Thanks,

Gregg
vbgregg is offline  
post #927 of 6125 Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Slaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post

Same here, I tried the remake of The Mummy when I set up my 809. When setting it to through, the dark scenes, scenes at night, and in the mummy's tomb, were almost completely un-watchable. Had to do some serious adjusting within the 809 to get it to acceptable levels ! ! ! I actually returned mine because it would not have sound when trying to play cd's through the optical cd input. Hoping the replacement, which arrives tomorrow, will fare much better than the first.

EManT2200 - definitely keep us posted as to whether the replacement unit works better as far as the picture levels go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli_h View Post

Same here, see my posts #111 and #598. It seems not all units are affected, so it might be a hardware issue. It would help if everyone experiencing this problem would contact customer support about this...

I'll give them a call regarding this and see what they have to say. I'll try upgrading to the latest firmware (Have the second to last one installed currently) and see if that helps first however.
Slaine is offline  
post #928 of 6125 Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
joeyvaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
my 809 started acting weird this week. It would not go into the "net" menu so I could listen to Pandora. I tried switching sources various times. The only way I got the "net" menu back was to unplug and replug the unit. just powering it on and off didn't work. Why would unplugging the unit cause it to come back?

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?
joeyvaz is offline  
post #929 of 6125 Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,423
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
^^
Like with your PC, sometimes the AVR processor needs a "soft" reset by completely powering it off for a few minutes. The only way to do that is to unplug it as the unit is either ON or in STANDBY when plugged in.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #930 of 6125 Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
TimA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
I'm using the Intel Clarkdale Core i5 661 with a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 MB with TMT5. Like I said no problems with my Onkyo 605.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
Has anyone had a problem with 809 hooked up to a HTPC with DTS-HD MA sources? It works fine with my Onkyo 605, but the 809 doesn't seem to lock onto the DTS-HD MA signal and switches to analog automatically. I can get it to work if I switch to another unused HDMI port and then switch back.

Is there anyway to get the 809 not to switch to analog? This only seems to be a problem with DTS-HD MA and TrueHD. Dolby D, DTS and Multichannel PCM work fine from my HTPC.

Tim

I've narrowed this problem down to the issue that my 809 will not play "unencrypted" DTS HD MA or TrueHD audio from my Intel i5 Clarkdale H55 motherboard HTPC (video is fine). I can only get DTS HD MA or TrueHD audio when I play a Blu-ray disc using TMT5 (.114). If I play a disk with AnyDVD HD running or I play a Blu-ray rip with DTS HD MA or TrueHD I get NO audio. No problems with the same disk or rip if I switch to DTS or DolbyD core or LPCM audio. This is true for both TMT5 and MPC-HC software playback.

Has anyone else had problems with playing "unencrypted" DTS HD MA or TrueHD audio on a Onkyo 809 from a HTPC? The HTPC has the latest drivers and software and the Onkyo has the latest firmware. I've tried different HDMI inputs and cables. I'm wondering if this is just a problem with Intel graphics or the Onkyo just refuses to play unencrypted HD audio. Should I try a Nvida GT 430?

Tim
TimA is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off