AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollundus View Post

Hi Guys,

I got this fine Receiver yesterday and stumbled over the same "Black-Crush-Problem".
I am looking also forward for a solution.
Regards.

Make sure you use the DIRECT video mode on the receiver...all the other ones muck up the PQ. Maybe a firmware update will deal with this down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrette View Post

With so many audio settings,
what setting do think has a full sound ?
i had a pioneer elite vsx-01 thx and i would set to small speakers & a thx setting and had a nice full sound that filled the room.

thanks

I agree...the audio options on this thing are hard to figure out! Too many choices, and some of them disable others. What is the Dolby Volume for? If you turn it on it kills other options. I wish the calibration would show us what was done with the equalizer settings too...mine all still show 0 after running it, yet the manual says you can change them after calibrating...doesn't make sense they all say 0 if they were 'calibrated' by Audyssey. Is this normal?
post #993 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
i am leaving things like Dolby Volume off, and any other enhancements or add-ons until I learn more about them, and what I will gain.

Most helpful besides better explanations, would be a chart showing what happens with various features on or off, and the interaction between them.

EQ settings are at '0' because they are intended for further manual adjustment in place of Audyssey AFAIK.
post #994 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

i am leaving things like Dolby Volume off, and any other enhancements or add-ons until I learn more about them, and what I will gain.

Most helpful besides better explanations, would be a chart showing what happens with various features on or off, and the interaction between them.

EQ settings are at '0' because they are intended for further manual adjustment in place of Audyssey AFAIK.

So if you enter the EQ adjustments you disable Audyssey altogether, or you are able to tweak the Audyssey settings? I like that on my Yamaha 663 it shows you what it did in regard to EQ for each speaker. (Although the Onkyo certainly sounds fuller and tighter with my Polk RsiA7 speakers) Also what is the point of THX listening mode vs using Dolby Digital mode? Too many options! The questionis which sounds best? It's really hard to tell at this point.
post #995 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

So if you enter the EQ adjustments you disable Audyssey altogether, or you are able to tweak the Audyssey settings? I like that on my Yamaha 663 it shows you what it did in regard to EQ for each speaker. (Although the Onkyo certainly sounds fuller and tighter with my Polk RsiA7 speakers) Also what is the point of THX listening mode vs using Dolby Digital mode? Too many options! The questionis which sounds best? It's really hard to tell at this point.

I guess you are disabling it as soon as you start doing manual adjustments that affect the response curve. Crossover points you can tweak without changing the impact of Audyssey. But they caution, always go higher, never lower.

THX is it's own setup based on specific attributes and always using 80Hz as the crossover point.

Having Audyssey do most the work seems to sound best to me. Initially my speakers were positioned based on an audio analyzer my retailer used. I have not changed the speakers or their location since then (4 years ago). I have checked them from time to time with a sound level meter and a cal disk, never much change. I would say overall, Audyssey improved the sound a little more over that. I did tweak the xovers up 10Hz which sounds a little more balanced to me. I also had to cut the sub level some. Otherwise sounds great at this point.
post #996 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Can some one list the numbers that reflect the most up to date firmware? I dont want to bother with hook up to the net just yet, but i would like to know if i already have the recent firmware. Thanks a bunch! Loving this 809
post #997 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased an hooked up this new gear and I can't wait to get started with it. However, the gear is in a rack out of sight and I'm using a MX-900 for control. The URC editor doesn't have this model and I'm having trouble with some codes, especially when it comes to multiple HDMI inputs. Does anyone have a file or link to discrete codes for the NR809? I've checked RC and it doesn't seem to be anywhere. Thanks.

Ekko
post #998 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here some pictures of my Onkyo 809, I love its slick and clean design.

post #999 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

Here some pictures of my Onkyo 809, I love its slick and clean design.

Silver model looks sharp!
post #1000 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Silver model looks sharp!

Yes..kinda retro looking. Lots easier to read the lettering on the controls too. I have the black one because all my other equipment is black.
post #1001 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The silver looks MUCH better than past model Onkyo's that are silver. It looks like a silver brushed aluminum where as in the past they looked like a flat, plastic material.
post #1002 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

I guess you are disabling it as soon as you start doing manual adjustments that affect the response curve. Crossover points you can tweak without changing the impact of Audyssey. But they caution, always go higher, never lower.

THX is it's own setup based on specific attributes and always using 80Hz as the crossover point.

Having Audyssey do most the work seems to sound best to me. Initially my speakers were positioned based on an audio analyzer my retailer used. I have not changed the speakers or their location since then (4 years ago). I have checked them from time to time with a sound level meter and a cal disk, never much change. I would say overall, Audyssey improved the sound a little more over that. I did tweak the xovers up 10Hz which sounds a little more balanced to me. I also had to cut the sub level some. Otherwise sounds great at this point.

Also confused about exactly what PURE and DIRECT modes do?? Do they use the Audyssey settings or just go to default settings?
post #1003 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Direct and Pure do not use any Surround or Digital Surround Processing, and I think that includes Audyssey. Pure disables display on Amp as well.

Stereo DOES include processing though. Listen to Stereo Listening Mode, switch between the Pure, and your room compensation equaliser will be toggled, and apparent. Listening to 2 channel music should easily show the difference.
post #1004 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Your sub is also left out of the system in PURE. In non-PURE stereo you can still select the have the sub on or off.
post #1005 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Yes..kinda retro looking. Lots easier to read the lettering on the controls too. I have the black one because all my other equipment is black.

Thanks for your comments, you are wright, its design is kind of retro but really nice and stylish, and the silver color matches my Vincent SAV P150 power amp.

For listening to music I really prefer in stereo so that Audyssey equalizes the sound, it would have been nice thought to be able to change from 2.0 to 2.1 without heaving to go into the menu, thats how I had it before with my Denon.

The Onkyo 809 has THX modes that I didnt have previewsly with my Denon, but I think I prefer better without it, I really thought that THX modes would be the best, maybe I have to try diferent settings.

It would be nice for the guys at Onkyo to clarify some of the settings and tell us which ones work best, they should know, in their web page they should have some settings advice to get the best sound possible.

Greetings from Spain.
post #1006 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Can we save the 'Audyssey' set up and then try THX? Or if we do that do we have to recalibrate Audyssey all over again if we revert back?
My manual is on the PC... it's a pain doing this stuff without a hard copy, all I got was a CD for the main owner's manual.
post #1007 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Through mode definitely darkens the picture and direct does not. I have the 809 set to through mode for blu ray movies, but I brighten the image with my Oppo bdp-83 and I think image quality is better than Direct mode!

I think Queries chip cleans up the image in through mode.
post #1008 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM

If you don't want any change to picture quality from sources you must set monitor hdmi to source and your source to direct. "Through" in either or both monitor and source removes digital noise. If you select through in both settings you a dnr look to movies. Set to Through in just one setting the picture cleans up slightly.
These have been my observations thus far.

I wonder why onkyo made options in both settings.
post #1009 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

Just in case you didnt read my previews mesages, try changing the HDMI options in your tv/projector, I changed mine from auto to advanced and I now get a perfect picture without loosing the detail in the dark zones.

Thanks. I already checked my TV's HDMI options in response to your earlier messages, but I did not find much variability in the settings. I tinkered with whatever little variability I could find, but to no avail.
post #1010 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Hi,

I know this is trivial, but my old 805 had a brilliant blue (cobalt?) light around the volume knob. I really liked it. The 809 has a very boring white light. I guess this is a matter of personal preference, so perhaps most people disliked the blue light. Is that likely the reason for the change?

Gregg
post #1011 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post

Hi,

I know this is trivial, but my old 805 had a brilliant blue (cobalt?) light around the volume knob. I really liked it. The 809 has a very boring white light. I guess this is a matter of personal preference, so perhaps most people disliked the blue light. Is that likely the reason for the change?

Gregg

Interesting I didn't know that about the 809. I don't own the 809 (I am considering it though), but I own older Onkyos I've always liked the blue light. I wonder why they switched, too.
post #1012 of 6100 Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The Silver looks very classy. Actually looks more expensive than the black, as long as there are matching components.

I just ordered the hardy copy manual. It will be much more convenient for reading while trying different functions. Well worth $10 IMO. I know some were shipped with the regular manual.
post #1013 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi,

I had my Tivo connected to HDMI IN3 and once in a while the picture would become mostly pink. This appears to be related to HDMI handshaking, since the picture would start out normal when I switched to HDMI IN3, but then after selecting a recording to watch, the picture would disappear for a few seconds and then it would be mostly pink when the picture came back. Usually I could fix this by switching to a different HDMI input and then back to IN3. This pink problem never happened during the year or two that I had the Tivo connected to my older Onkyo TX-SR805.

I just switched the Tivo to HDMI IN6 and so far it seems fine, though this problem is intermittent, so I will have to monitor it for a while.

On the one hand, if this fixes the problem, I should be happy. On the other hand, it would suggest there is a problem with HDMI IN3. I still have about a week before my 30 days are up at Amazon. I hate to go through the hassle of returning the 809, but I would also hate it if this was a symptom of potential additional problems down the line.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Gregg
post #1014 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Im wondering if the latest firmware update helped picture guality. I have not updated my firmware but I am pleased with picture guality in direct and through modes. Any one have observations they would like to share. About before and after firmware update?
post #1015 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't help you, I did my update early just to help eliminate any potential problems during setup.
Here's a description of recent updates:

The 08/8/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Adds support of AUPEO! Personal Radio, Internet Music Service
2. Enhances the operability with Remote App for Android
3. Adds Search function for Spotify
The 07/14/2011 update addresses the following (all models):
1. Improves picture output of 1080p/24 sources
2. Support of Spotify Internet Radio Service
The 06/14/2011 update addresses the following (all models):
1. Improves audio/video output in HDMI Through mode
2. Stabilizes setting of a static IP address in Network Settings
3. Improves UWF-1 connectivity.
Supports access points with non-alphanumeric SSID. (e.g. !, #, &, etc...)
4. Reduces noise during audio playback from iPod/iPhone via USB port.
post #1016 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Will my calibration settings and I other owners setting the be unchanged when i update firmware?
post #1017 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 PM

I have noticed that when monitor is set to Through, and picture source set to custom the primary colors really pop of the screen. Must be the new chip doing this! The picture now is to a new level and the only thing different in my system is the 809.
post #1018 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy-man View Post

Will my calibration settings and I other owners setting the be unchanged when i update firmware?

It clearly states in the owner's manual all your user settings are retained.
post #1019 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 01:15 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy-man View Post

I have noticed that when monitor is set to Through, and picture source set to custom the primary colors really pop of the screen. Must be the new chip doing this! The picture now is to a new level and the only thing different in my system is the 809.

Can you list out all the settings within Custom?
post #1020 of 6100 Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post

Hi,

I had my Tivo connected to HDMI IN3 and once in a while the picture would become mostly pink. This appears to be related to HDMI handshaking, since the picture would start out normal when I switched to HDMI IN3, but then after selecting a recording to watch, the picture would disappear for a few seconds and then it would be mostly pink when the picture came back. Usually I could fix this by switching to a different HDMI input and then back to IN3. This pink problem never happened during the year or two that I had the Tivo connected to my older Onkyo TX-SR805.

I just switched the Tivo to HDMI IN6 and so far it seems fine, though this problem is intermittent, so I will have to monitor it for a while.

On the one hand, if this fixes the problem, I should be happy. On the other hand, it would suggest there is a problem with HDMI IN3. I still have about a week before my 30 days are up at Amazon. I hate to go through the hassle of returning the 809, but I would also hate it if this was a symptom of potential additional problems down the line.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Gregg

I would get an intermittent static/pink picture when I was using a HDMI extension to my projector. It was due to a poor connection. Not exactly the same situation you have with the Tivo and the Onkyo but it could be a clue. Try another cable.

Tim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page