"Official" Onkyo TX-NR809 Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Last years model NR808 had a way disable the video processing or bypass video upconversion by holding down VCR/DVR+Return buttons and setting it to skip. Curious if the NR809 has this feature as well (its not mention in the OM).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have att uverse, with a cable box connected to my 809 with HDMI. I have noticed on some recordings, that I get short dropouts in the audio sometimes. I can see this by using the Home button and viewing audio on the info submenu. The input audio source info drops out in sync with the voice "hickups". Any advice on what this is or how to fix it. I never noticed this before I hooked up thru the 809.
post #1083 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughe01 View Post

I have att uverse, with a cable box connected to my 809 with HDMI. I have noticed on some recordings, that I get short dropouts in the audio sometimes. I can see this by using the Home button and viewing audio on the info submenu. The input audio source info drops out in sync with the voice "hickups". Any advice on what this is or how to fix it. I never noticed this before I hooked up thru the 809.

Did you use an av reciever before? Did you use HDMI before? Did you use Dolby Digital (5.1)before? Uverse has a known issue with dolby digital(5.1) that hasn't been resolved. It occasionaly drops the audio. I think it is only with hdmi. Maybe try using a optical cable & see if that resolves the problem.
post #1084 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM

hey JChin i tried VCR/DVR+Return buttons and setting it to skip the video processing.
the tx-nr8096 does have this feature.
post #1085 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Hi,

Is there any danger with using the ZONE 2 ports to output analog audio to my laptop? Can this damage the laptop in any way? Is there any difference between using Zone 2 or Zone 3?

Thanks,

Gregg
post #1086 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The zone 2 and zone 3 pre-outs should be fine into your laptop. They are un-amplified analog music signals, similar to what would come from the RCA jacks of a CD player.
post #1087 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM

I updated the firmware without any problems. Even with the new firmware I don't notice any changes. Through still dark in the picture.
post #1088 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
The zone 2 and zone 3 pre-outs should be fine into your laptop. They are un-amplified analog music signals, similar to what would come from the RCA jacks of a CD player.
Hi Viventis,

Thank you very much for answering my question. I could have used the analog out jacks from the VCR/DVR port, but they were already in use, so I tried the zone 2 outputs and they seemed to work. I just wanted to make sure this would not cause any problems. Thanks again,

Gregg
post #1089 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy_9 View Post

I have been able to use all of the iPhone apps for the 809 and the free one works just as good as the paid ones. I didn't find the other ones to be 5 or 8 dollars better. I used hacked versions to try before I buy. They all work though and in the end it will come down to preference of each apps functionality and layout. I have not used or seen the android app that is apparently better than the iPhone version. I really enjoy having the option to control using the iPhone. On Oremote you can use the iPhones keyboard to enter in usernames and passwords which makes things easier.

Hacked versions? That's nice to know.

Most people who contact me about my app like it for most of the things Onkyo left out. Like Zone controls, or someone to gripe at when things are busted. I haven't seen Onkyo's Android offering, but from what little I've heard it's better than the iOS version feature-wise.
post #1090 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Most people who contact me about my app like it for most of the things Onkyo left out. Like Zone controls, or someone to gripe at when things are busted. I haven't seen Onkyo's Android offering, but from what little I've heard it's better than the iOS version feature-wise.

As my previous posts indicated, your App is excellent, particularly on iPad. What's in the pipeline? Is it possible to delete some of the Listening modes within the drop down box? More drop down boxes for other choices would be good.

And is it possible to access data rates of video /audio, like PS3, and display?

I guess this is slightly off topic, do you have a link to a more relevant post to continue the discussion?
post #1091 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM

^^ what he said.

Where can I get try / get the app?

Picked up the 609 Monday, and 809 arrives tomorrow from NewEgg! ($699.00)
post #1092 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM

My 809 arrives today!
post #1093 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I spent some time with the 809 today, finally. About an hour updating firmware that said nothing about fixing my issue but it did, and some research and playing. Still a long way to go but what I know so far:

1. Latest firmware eliminated my double handshake issue when powering on the 809 from standby. Of course this was not a problem when I was not using image processing from the AVR.

2. Firmware did nothing for dimming of brightness in custom mode, same thing, but one could and should just adjust the brightness and contrast in there because that is what the custom mode appears to be for, If you want to use that mode and calibrate. See below.

3. Now I don't feel like going through a full calibration right now and that is pretty much what the manual says you have custom for and you ought to know what you are doing or have a ISF pro do it. But wait, I paid for this video processor and want to upscale to 1080P with it. Well I also paid for ISF settings so I selected ISF day and bingo. Great pic right there in my lighted man cave. Will try ISF night next time I fire up the PJ. There are other modes too.

4. Finally got off my lazy arse and just googled TV logic mode only to discover it is an old legacy Onkyo DSP mode. Then I found it in the manual under that section(dumba$$). So I figured out that when a crappy commercial comes on it happens every time, not all commercials. Dig into manual and see that it must be in the Listening Mode Preset. Went there and saw all were defaulted to last valid. Well not sure if it was 2 channel or Mono/multiplex so I just went in and set all sources to output Dolby EX or direct and that is working fine for now.

So not a bad day today along with all the other crap I had to do. Shortly it will be time to crank up the Godsmack concert DVD and give it some he!! Last night's audition was not impressive at all. Not sure what I have changed since the last time I fried one of my front speakers listening to that but yesterday that DTS soundtrack could muster nowhere near the volume. I am sure it is in the menu somewhere that I need to adjust something. Get that sorted out and I am going to be a happy camper. Hope this helps someone.
post #1094 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that was about 30 minutes at reference level, yes reference level. The dog couldn't take it and I sent him into the other side of the basement. Everything was fine and it sounded great on my Monitor 80s lol. (That's two stacked 40s for left and right wired to 4ohms) They got pretty effing loud man, need to do the math to figure the wattage going to them as I do have a 6.3 system and the others are all 8 ohms.

Anyway I believe I was listening to it last night in the DTS and not direct mode like I should have but the wife was rushing me because her show was coming on. Yes, I always listen to properly mastered sources in direct mode and occasionally but rarely pure direct. It depends on the source.

Final thoughts, after 30 minutes at reference level I shot the unit with an IR thermometer. The hottest I could find was 105*f and my unit is in a shelf rack with about 1-1/2" per side and 2-1/2" clearance on the top. Of course I had the glass open for this kind of listening. So any concerns I may have had about heat with this unit have vanished since it is 76*f ambient here. I pretty much knew that before I blew my R/F speaker just by using the hand test but I put numbers to it this time.

Back to tinkering with the unit. A lot to learn because I am new to Audyssey. I just about had my MCACC PHD before swapping to this unit. I know I need to RTFM some more but I have read it several times, twice before I bought it. Sometimes you just have a question. I am good for now except looking over that Audyssey thread that is simply huge.
post #1095 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Last years model NR808 had a way disable the video processing or bypass video upconversion by holding down VCR/DVR+Return buttons and setting it to skip. Curious if the NR809 has this feature as well (its not mention in the OM).

It has it but I swear I've hit every damn button and I can't figure out how to change it to off instead if USE.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #1096 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 PM

press the return button.that will change it to skip..
post #1097 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I knew I wasn't losing it. I did and it doesn't change it at all.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #1098 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 PM

make sure your not holding the VCR/DVR when you press the return button and use the 1 on the receiver.
post #1099 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I spoke too soon. Had AVR off for a while and powered it back on while viewing a non hidef channel, double handshake issue is back.

Guess I will contact Onkyo about this. I did not think firmware was going to fix it since none of the updates list this issue. Anybody else have this problem?
post #1100 of 6199 Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Hacked versions? That's nice to know.

I haven't seen androids offering either as I just have an iphone. Just going by what I have read on here. Keep up the good work. I purchased your app and prefer it better than onkotron and the onkyo app.
post #1101 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

I would guess Listening Mode is set incorrectly, if you did not hear the same with the old Amp.

Use the Home menu and Audio display info to check the exact Audio signal coming in. And set the listening mode accordingly, the manual will explain better than I. I would add that I do not like to add DSP to sound engineered soundtracks, ie keep it simple.

If incoming is 5.1 Dolby Digital, use Dolby Digital. For 2.0 PCM, use your preference of Pure or Stereo for example.

I do not like "amp engineered" false mode conversions, like All Channel Stereo. I think they are a gimmick.

But some people use them......

After much tinkering, I feel that THX Music Mode with Audyssey did a real reproduction of my Brothers In Arms DVD-AUDIO. Although I am satisfied, I thought Dolby Digital 5.1 with Audyssey should also have the same result.
post #1102 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM

hey Mikes2cents i have the handshake issue too.would like to know what onkyo has to say so please post after you contact them.TIA
post #1103 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Received my 809 yesterday first thing I did was update the firmware replacing my 4 year old 805 which has been great. I can say that the sound quality on the 809 is much better I did not mess to much with settings just wanted to get it up and running and so far I' am very impressed by what I' am hearing .
post #1104 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

has anyone tried the 4k upcsaleing? does it work? I just read where sony just came out with a 4k projector that cost $25,000 and they say it will upscale your blu ray plaer 4 times in 2d or 3d mode.
post #1105 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Well I spoke too soon. Had AVR off for a while and powered it back on while viewing a non hidef channel, double handshake issue is back.

Guess I will contact Onkyo about this. I did not think firmware was going to fix it since none of the updates list this issue. Anybody else have this problem?

Mike:

Please explain what you mean by "the double handshake problem." I have read all of the posts in this thread but can't recall this one.

My 809 (Newegg) arrived today. Between reading this thread and the online manual, it seems like I have had it for weeks.

I got the CD manual but already copied the PDF on my office copier/printer.

Has anyone who recently received their AVR from Newegg gotten one with the up-to-date August firmware already installed? Is there an advantage to updating via USB stick vs on-line?

Does anyone have a check list of the most common out of the box problems (that result in returned units) to check for?
post #1106 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Has anyone who recently received their AVR from Newegg gotten one with the up-to-date August firmware already installed? Is there an advantage to updating via USB stick vs on-line?

Does anyone have a check list of the most common out of the box problems (that result in returned units) to check for?

There's less risk involved with a USB based update. No network problems to worry about. Still, the 2011 models like the 809 are a bit smarter than their predecessors in that they recover better from a botched update. A messed up update on a 807 or 808 would be bad news.
post #1107 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's less risk involved with a USB based update. No network problems to worry about. Still, the 2011 models like the 809 are a bit smarter than their predecessors in that they recover better from a botched update. A messed up update on a 807 or 808 would be bad news.

Updating via USB as I type. My Newegg Onkyo (obviously) did not have the latest update. It seems to be going pretty fast. I am updating with nothing connected but the USB and the HDMI out to the TV.
post #1108 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Updating via USB as I type. My Newegg Onkyo (obviously) did not have the latest update. It seems to be going pretty fast. I am updating with nothing connected but the USB and the HDMI out to the TV.

About 40 minutes for that based on what I saw yesterday. Also Sal from Onkyo tech support told me (today) that one should do a hard reset after updating firmware for it to take full effect. Yep, that is what he told me after my WTF when he also told me that it sets everything to factory preset minus the firmware. Of course I was not happy with that because I do not feel like running Audyssey setup again with the NFL season kicking off here shortly. More on that dilemma when I get through it.
post #1109 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike:

Please explain what you mean by "the double handshake problem." I have read all of the posts in this thread but can't recall this one.

Viventis, no problem. Basically once I decided to use the video processor in the AVR to upscale the 1080i that my cable box delivers to 1080P that my TV can display, the unit has had a problem when I power on from the pass-through standby mode. It powers on and takes 15 seconds to display a 720x480 picture that my TV does not like(handshake) and the TV shows the pic but a bar states "searching for signal" after about 30 seconds of that, then the TV goes blank (another handshake) or restarts while the picture tries to come up. So basically 1 minute and 20 seconds from powering on the AVR from standby to 1080P picture working. I will post what Onkyo had to say about that once I run down the list.
post #1110 of 6199 Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

About 40 minutes for that based on what I saw yesterday. Also Sal from Onkyo tech support told me (today) that one should do a hard reset after updating firmware for it to take full effect. Yep, that is what he told me after my WTF when he also told me that it sets everything to factory preset minus the firmware. Of course I was not happy with that because I do not feel like running Audyssey setup again with the NFL season kicking off here shortly. More on that dilemma when I get through it.

Exactly 40 minutes for me. Thanks for the reset tip. For those that want to do it (page 79), Hold down the VCR/DVR button on the receiver while you turn it on with the On/Standby button on the receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page