Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluu View Post

How does Newegg ship the receiver? Do they double box it?

They slap a label on the mfg box. It is extremely well protected and double boxing would only be of value to a box collector. UPS delivered mine without even a dented corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluu
How does Newegg ship the receiver? Do they double box it?
Ships in the standard Onkyo box.
post #93 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everybody, I need your help, I ordered the TX-NR809 and I am getting it tomorrow and I am wondering where to put it on the shelf, I am not sure if the glass can hold the weight, does it run hot? I attached a photo of what it looks like:

Thank you very much!
post #94 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine showed up today. Updated the firmware and everything seems to bee running well. Mine did not show up w/ the "bells and whistles" (manual and sticker on the front); only the cd and a basic set up guide.

First real receiver so I have no idea what anything does-lol. Took a minute to figure out how to make it send audio to the tv speakers. 5.1 (hopefully) setup is next. Figured it would be too big to put on my tv stand (depth wise), but the rubber feet are only ~12" apart, so it will fit on just about anything. Getting a new stand anyway...lol
post #95 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrstdude View Post
Mine showed up today. Updated the firmware and everything seems to bee running well. Mine did not show up w/ the "bells and whistles" (manual and sticker on the front); only the cd and a basic set up guide.

First real receiver so I have no idea what anything does-lol. Took a minute to figure out how to make it send audio to the tv speakers. 5.1 (hopefully) setup is next. Figured it would be too big to put on my tv stand (depth wise), but the rubber feet are only ~12" apart, so it will fit on just about anything. Getting a new stand anyway...lol
I hope I do not get the CD, I hope I get the hard copy manual
post #96 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would check your measurements for the shelf and see if the 809 will fit. Does the shelf have a name on it if yes check there web site about weight. Then decide which shelf will be the easiest one for access now and future. If you cannot get any info on weight for the shelf then put the 809 on the bottom one. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

post #97 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

I would check your measurements for the shelf and see if the 809 will fit. Does the shelf have a name on it if yes check there web site about weight. Then decide which shelf will be the easiest one for access now and future. If you cannot get any info on weight for the shelf then put the 809 on the bottom one. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortanely it has no name on the shelf, so I will use your suggestion, thank you again!
post #98 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortanely it has no name on the shelf, so I will use your suggestion, thank you again!

I have a glass entertainment center similar to this that I purchased at Wal-Mart. I put my 808 on the top shelf and all is fine.
LL

-ResonantEcho

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kevin.l.bass
post #99 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

I hope I do not get the CD, I hope I get the hard copy manual

Its not that hard to print!
post #100 of 6192 Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½Baked View Post

Its not that hard to print!

That is true but if the CD does not work...
post #101 of 6192 Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:

you can also download from the onkyo web site. i have the print manual, but mainly use the one I downloaded. Use it on the computer and on the xoom.
post #102 of 6192 Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Its available several places online as well-
anyway its better that the CD not work than the receiver!
post #103 of 6192 Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM

The Onkyo 809 arrived! I got the hard copy manual, yay! Haha!
post #104 of 6192 Old 07-09-2011, 01:22 PM

I am a ******, I just connected the blu-ray player to the receiver but no video/sound
post #105 of 6192 Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Never mind, I figured it out!
post #106 of 6192 Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Never mind, I figured it out!
Will you post your impression of the audio quality, and how it might compare to previous receivers?

post #107 of 6192 Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:

If this is an isolated incident, it sounds like a failed handshake. The Onkytroller software on your Android device probably mis-recognized the device. Rebooting the 809 probably forced a long handshake. If it happens a lot you might have some interference on your 802.11 network. Just my guess-

More on this issue:

I am using the new Onkyo TX-NR809 and I have it hooked up to my network.

I am using oRemote on an Ipad and Onkytroller on a Xoom.

Several times a week (almost daily), the ipad or xoom cannot find the 809. The only fix is to unplug the 809 and replug it back in.

However, when this happens, I can still access the 809 via the web interface (although there is not much to do there) and the stereo plays fine if it is playing a net source.

My router is a SonicWALL NSA2400. I have the 809 pulling an ip via DHCP and the NSA is set up to provide the same IP to the 809 MAC address (it is always the same ip)

I have the latest firmware on the 809.

Yesterday I changed the 809 to be static IP instead of dhcp. So far no lock ups.

But it has only been a day.

I emailed onkyo support and their response was to call in to trouble shoot. Not sure if there is any trouble shooting here and if it is worth the time on the phone
post #108 of 6192 Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM

[quote=rinconmike;20676210]More on this issue:

My router is a SonicWALL NSA2400. I have the 809 pulling an ip via DHCP and the NSA is set up to provide the same IP to the 809 MAC address (it is always)

Yesterday I changed the 809 to be static IP instead of dhcp. So far no lock ups.

If you are hard Ethernet wired from the router and you continue to have problems, try putting a cheap hub or switch between the Sonicwall and the 809.
post #109 of 6192 Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM

[quote=½Baked;20676853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike View Post

If you are hard Ethernet wired from the router and you continue to have problems, try putting a cheap hub or switch between the Sonicwall and the 809.

thanks. the router is hooked to a netgear 24port gigabit switch as is the 809. The sonicwall does not have a switch or hub built in. Just different ports for zones (wan, lan, dms, opt).

Are you using the 809 with oRemote or onytroller?

I do not think the issue is with the software; rather, the 809 or possibly something with the sonicall (got all different security services running).

thanks,

Mike
post #110 of 6192 Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM

[quote=rinconmike;20677185]
Quote:

Are you using the 809 with oRemote or onytroller,

Mike

Funny story (?)
I pulled the cabinet out to install the 809 and found my Citation 7.1's had dropped two of the bottom shelves out of the Sanus Woodbrook lowboy. Worked on reinforcing that for a couple of hours. Then, the wife decided to pull the wallpaper off the family room and kitchen walls. So I decided to run more wiring since I need to do a LOT of drywall work anyway. Last two days I have been patching and skimming. Texture today, prime and paint tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll finally be able to hear the thing for the first time in two more days. I have not decided on a controller setup yet. I might temporarily hook it up today after some dust settles (getting antsy)
post #111 of 6192 Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM

My TX-NR809 arrived last Saturday and I did my initial setup using the following settings

Monitor Out / Resolution: Source
Picture Adjust / Picture Mode: Direct

As I was very pleased with the sound and picture quality I decided to keep it, removed all stickers, updated the firmware, and enjoyed some blu-rays. While watching, I played with the picture adjust settings and switched to

Picture Adjust / Picture Mode: Custom

with all settings left at the default, resulting in the picture beeing noticeable darker than in direct mode. In fact, to compensate, I had to set brightness to +14 and gamma to -1. I am now trying to figure out if my unit is faulty, this is a (fixable) firmware bug, or this is as designed.

Therefore: Can someone please check/verify this?

Thanks,
Oliver
post #112 of 6192 Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Olli, I doubt there is a problem with your unit but not sure. I would refer you to pages 55 and 56 of the manual. You seem to have entered the calibration area and sure it will require calibration. If I am correct you have no problem unless you want to calibrate it and then you need to do some homework on how to do that.
post #113 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Mikes2cents, the problem is also visible in "through" mode which should only apply scaling to the picture. This is why I mentioned the firmware update as they changed something there (see firmware release notes). In addition, I feel that the default settings should do more or less nothing to the picture in "custom" mode as this was the case for the older TX-NR876/906 which do not have a "direct" mode or the ability to switch off video processing. You may not notice the problem for bright or very bright pictures, but for example if you watch "Sherlock Holmes" in the first few minutes all details in the dark areas are crushed using the default settings in "custom" mode on my unit. All looks fine in "direct" mode. It would be nice if someone who owns a TX-NR809 could check this using a similar scene.

Thanks,
Oliver
post #114 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Hi.

I've read several reviews of the 809 but no one mentions the quality of the upscaling at all. I own lots of SD content, both DVDs and games and wondered how this one fares against the cheaper models. Does it introduce scaling lag which would make it inappropriate for games or is this a thing of the past? I'm a little out of touch
post #115 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikardG View Post

Hi.

I've read several reviews of the 809 but no one mentions the quality of the upscaling at all. I own lots of SD content, both DVDs and games and wondered how this one fares against the cheaper models. Does it introduce scaling lag which would make it inappropriate for games or is this a thing of the past? I'm a little out of touch

I've been using a DVDO Edge for SD processing and upscaling. I'm viewing on a Pioneer 60" Kuro. The Edge does a fantastic job. I just picked up an 809 today, which I hope will completely replace the Edge. I'll compare in the next few days and report back.

-Tom
post #116 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Will you post your impression of the audio quality, and how it might compare to previous receivers?

The audio quality is amazing but this is my first receiver so I have nothing to compare it to, sorry
post #117 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM

I have a question, how do I hear a blu-ray movie using the TV speakers? I do not have speakers so I want to use the TV speakers, I looked in the manual but it is confusing to me since I am new at this, thank you! I have 2 HDMI connected (Blu-ray player to receiver and TV to receiver)
post #118 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a question, how do I hear a blu-ray movie using the TV speakers? I do not have speakers so I want to use the TV speakers, I looked in the manual but it is confusing to me since I am new at this, thank you! I have 2 HDMI connected (Blu-ray player to receiver and TV to receiver)
Turn off the AVR and use the through setting. No need for an AVR if you have no speakers. Am I missing something here? Just enable pass through.

Quote:
The audio quality is amazing but this is my first receiver so I have nothing to compare it to, sorry
Uuhhmm, like I said I must be missing something. How is the audio quality amazing with no speakers?
post #119 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli_h View Post
It would be nice if someone who owns a TX-NR809 could check this using a similar scene.

Thanks,
Oliver
Well, this is not encouraging for me as I am about to pull the trigger on the 809. If I do anyway, I will check out your concerns and report back. I am not buying this unit for its video processing abilities. Most decent displays take care of themselves because they know what they like.
post #120 of 6192 Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli_h View Post

My TX-NR809 arrived last Saturday and I did my initial setup using the following settings

Monitor Out / Resolution: Source
Picture Adjust / Picture Mode: Direct

As I was very pleased with the sound and picture quality I decided to keep it, removed all stickers, updated the firmware, and enjoyed some blu-rays. While watching, I played with the picture adjust settings and switched to

Picture Adjust / Picture Mode: Custom

with all settings left at the default, resulting in the picture beeing noticeable darker than in direct mode. In fact, to compensate, I had to set brightness to +14 and gamma to -1. I am now trying to figure out if my unit is faulty, this is a (fixable) firmware bug, or this is as designed.

Therefore: Can someone please check/verify this?

Thanks,
Oliver

Default on a custom mode is not necessarily equal to "through" or "direct" (which is the exact same as through when using HDMI). The second you run the video through the processor, you are going to introduce whatever visual changes the processor has when it is set at its (the processor's) default. Turn off the processor, if you like the picture on through. If you'd prefer to use the custom mode, I'd suggest you get a calibration dvd in order to get the best settings for your viewing based on your setup.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr808
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page