AVS Forum banner
861K views 7K replies 819 participants last post by  caryt 
#1 ·
In anticipation of receiving my Onkyo TX-NR809 tomorrow, I thought it was time to get a new Thread going.

#2 ·
Ok, now I'm truly starting to question Onkyo QC. Some of you may know my story related to the TX-NR808 (the dreaded freezing and cycling problem). Well, I finally received my NR809. Oh, happy day. Or so I thought. I opened the box. Hooked it up and started playing. Immediately I noticed that stereo input, via HDMI was not being converted to 5.1, even though the processor setting was on Dolby Pro Logic II. I then tried Neo: 6. No luck. I switched over to the tuner. 5.1 sound. hmmm. I then tried every HDMI input, but the best I could get was 5.1 sound with all channel stereo. I then updated the firmware, thinking that this may be resolved with the download. Again, no luck. Ultimately, I called Crutchfield's tech support. They had no clue and told me that it sounded like it was in the processing board. They are shipping out a new one tomorrow. I'm hoping that the 3rd time is a charm...

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiller66 /forum/post/20574620

Immediately I noticed that stereo input, via HDMI was not being converted to 5.1, even though the processor setting was on Dolby Pro Logic II.

Very odd!

What is the HDMI source you are using? Does it indicate Stereo on the source mode display? Is it PCM or some bitstream? Do you get the same problem from S/PDIF inputs?

Quote:
I then tried every HDMI input, but the best I could get was 5.1 sound with all channel stereo.

Same source feeding each HDMI input, or various HDMI sources?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiller66 /forum/post/20574620

Ok, now I'm truly starting to question Onkyo QC.

Me as well. Onkyo used to be a brand you could always count on. They used to make rock solid, dependable components. This hasn't been the case the last couple of years it seems.

#5 ·
I have had my 809 for a few weeks and it has been great. It took a few days to go through all the options and understand all the modes, but it has had no issues and seems to provide great sound.

First some observations:

It gets very warm quickly. I have mine on the very top of my AV rack so it can vent directly without anything to impede the heat coming off the top of the unit. I cannot imagine having this inside a cabinet or contained in any way, it just gets way too warm.

There are an insane amount of playback modes and customization features. You can program pretty much any input to any output, as well as set each input with independant settings for sound/picture/etc

You can wire it up for 7.2 High, 7.2 Wide, and 7.2 back and switch between them, but it will not preout/process more than 7.2, even with an external amp.

The HDMI video overlay menu is well laid out and pretty easy to understand.

The 1080P upconversion is very fast and I notice very little lag when switching channels on my comcast hdmi cable box, even when going from SD to HD.

Now my questions for the more experienced:

I am having a hard time understanding if any tweaking of the video output via the receiver is a good idea. This model supports ISF calibration, which means there are tons of options to tweak the picture, but since I also have plenty of tweaking options on my projector ( JVC DLA-RS1 ), I am trying to understand why I would want to tweak on the receiver, and if I do, what settings should I use on the projector. This confuses me, and any guidance would be appreciated. The receiver does support a "direct" mode, where it just passes the video untouched.

The other thing that confuses me is the sound modes. My old receiver would just switch to whatever mode the incoming sound was in, while with this receiver it seems you pick a mode ( say DOLBY DTS ), and it takes the incoming sound and converts it to that mode. What is the guideline on this, as I am always afraid I am going to miss the true sound mode of whatever I am watching, and I am not sure if the conversion has a negative impact on the sound output. Again, any help would be appreciated.

In summary, this receiver with the JVC-RS1 seems to be a good choice so far, and barring any issues, I am happy with my purchase (bought at newegg during the last super sale).

Thanks,

Chris

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayneogeo
I have had my 809 for a few weeks and it has been great. It took a few days to go through all the options and understand all the modes, but it has had no issues and seems to provide great sound.

First some observations:

It gets very warm quickly. I have mine on the very top of my AV rack so it can vent directly without anything to impede the heat coming off the top of the unit. I cannot imagine having this inside a cabinet or contained in any way, it just gets way too warm.

There are an insane amount of playback modes and customization features. You can program pretty much any input to any output, as well as set each input with independant settings for sound/picture/etc

You can wire it up for 7.2 High, 7.2 Wide, and 7.2 back and switch between them, but it will not preout/process more than 7.2, even with an external amp.

The 1080P upconversion is very fast and I notice very little lag when switching channels on my comcast hdmi cable box, even when going from SD to HD.

I am having a hard time understanding if any tweaking of the video output via the receiver is a good idea. This model supports ISF calibration, which means there are tons of options to tweak the picture, but since I also have plenty of tweaking options on my projector ( JVC DLA-RS1 ), I am trying to understand why I would want to tweak on the receiver, and if I do, what settings should I use on the projector. This confuses me, and any guidance would be appreciated. The receiver does support a "direct" mode, where it just passes the video untouched.

The other thing that confuses me is the sound modes. My old receiver would just switch to whatever mode the incoming sound was in, while with this receiver it seems you pick a mode ( say DOLBY DTS ), and it takes the incoming sound and converts it to that mode. What is the guideline on this, as I am always afraid I am going to miss the true sound mode of whatever I am watching, and I am not sure if the conversion has a negative impact on the sound output. Again, any help would be appreciated.

In summary, this receiver with the JVC-RS1 seems to be a good choice so far, and barring any issues, I am happy with my purchase (bought at newegg during the last super sale).

Thanks,

Chris
Sound modes are very useful and having the receiver switch automatically to reflect the source would not be the best thing in certain situations. For instance, if someone has a 5.1 setup, yet is using a stereo source (2 channel), maintaining that signal would result in only 2 speakers broadcasting sound. I generally like to convert with Dolby Pro Logic II or Neo: 6 to obtain a 5.1. You should notice; however, that if you use a True HD source, the receiver will automatically convert to reflect this source.

#7 ·
When using my DirecTV receiver HR23, and using the tv speakers, meaning that the TX-NR809 is off, (I dont like watching the news in surround sound), does the NR809 still upscale video to 1080P? Or does the upscaling occur only when the NR809 is on?

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPWorld
When using my DirecTV receiver HR23, and using the tv speakers, meaning that the TX-NR809 is off, (I dont like watching the news in surround sound), does the NR809 still upscale video to 1080P? Or does the upscaling occur only when the NR809 is on?
When you are using pass through in standby, there shouldn't be any upscaling.

#9 ·
I the 809 to replace an older Onkyo HT-R520. The 809 is pretty awesome. I still need to figure out all the audio settings.

A question, can I output the zone 2 or Zone3 to the R520 and use the R520 as I guess a power Amp? Would it be as simple as just connecting the Zone 2 or Zone 3 Pre/Line Out to an input on the older receiver?

thanks,

Mike

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike /forum/post/20598673

I the 809 to replace an older Onkyo HT-R520. The 809 is pretty awesome. I still need to figure out all the audio settings.

A question, can I output the zone 2 or Zone3 to the R520 and use the R520 as I guess a power Amp? Would it be as simple as just connecting the Zone 2 or Zone 3 Pre/Line Out to an input on the older receiver?

thanks,

Mike

I'll have to tell you tomorrow when I get my replacement and see if there is a pre-amp out for the other zones. Will let you know.

#11 ·
I just got mine delivered a few days ago and finally got all the cable management done. You guys aren't kidding when you said it gets warm inside a cabinet...

Now that I got this receiver, it is completely too much power for my current speakers... I am looking at the Klipsch reference series speakers, any thoughts as to what power rating speakers I should get without being under/overpowered by this receiver?

-4dm (yes, I'm a noob)

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dm /forum/post/20604311

I just got mine delivered a few days ago and finally got all the cable management done. You guys aren't kidding when you said it gets warm inside a cabinet...

Now that I got this receiver, it is completely too much power for my current speakers... I am looking at the Klipsch reference series speakers, any thoughts as to what power rating speakers I should get without being under/overpowered by this receiver?

-4dm (yes, I'm a noob)

I'm always interested in seeing other's cable management if you don't mind taking a picture.

Keep us up to date. I have an 808 but would consider purchasing an 809 if all goes well.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayneogeo /forum/post/20581726

First some observations:

Thanks,

Chris

Do you think the 709 might run cooler?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResonantEcho /forum/post/20604425

I'm always interested in seeing other's cable management if you don't mind taking a picture.

Keep us up to date. I have an 808 but would consider purchasing an 809 if all goes well.

I'm much too embarrassed to take a pic of the actual cable routing in back, but I don't mind sharing the front view . I have some friends that go all out with this stuff (every cable in a color coded shrink-wrapped sleeve, etc.) My cable management consisted of a bunch of zipties connected to stick-on ziptie holders in a way that only the necessary wires/cables are leaving the console and only the cables going up to the TV (wall mounted) are visible from the front or sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger /forum/post/20604444

Do you think the 709 might run cooler?

I would be surprised if it doesn't run cooler. The 809 has a beefier amplifier and uses more power 7.5A versus 6.3A. It gets warm, but not to the point where I am concerned about failures. Even with the front face of my cabinet closed and a 2" opening between my console and the wall, I think I am getting enough heat dissipation (Although I will likely put a low RPM ~180mm fan in the console to help move some of the air when I upgrade my self-powered speakers to receiver powered ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw /forum/post/20604831

What are the improvement of 809 against 808?

Is it worth it to change?

You can check the onkyo specs , but the biggest difference I see is the second HDMI out. So probably not worth it to upgrade unless you absolutely need one of the new features like 4k upscaling, MultEQ XT room calibration or ISF calibration on your receiver.

#16 ·
My 809 is flawless so far. It sounds noticeably better than my 807, sounds as powerful as my old 805. Very good separation/staging. Very happy so far. The unit does have two temperature controlled fans built inside the chassis towards the front. I'll have more info posted soon as I look into it more over the next few days.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by demiller66
I'll have to tell you tomorrow when I get my replacement and see if there is a pre-amp out for the other zones. Will let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike

thanks,

Mike
Yep. Download the Instruction Manual from online. Page 66 shows a pre-out for both the 2nd and 3rd zones. But, it looks like only 2 channel outs.

#19 ·
yeah, it will only do analog sources in for zones 2 and 3. i wound up hooking up my fios box both optical and analog to get tv on both zones. There is a fraction of a second difference with the sound. I am going to try hdmi instead of optical to see if the delay is there. This is all just with the 809 and no secondary amp.

#20 ·
According to the Owner's Manual it says: "When bi-amping is used, the AV receiver is able to drive up to 5.1 speakers in the main room."

Maybe the wording got lost in translation but to me this says "... if you don't bi-amp then the receiver will be driving less than 5.1 speakers." or in other words, you won't have a true 5.1 system.

Questions:

1. Does Onkyo mean that when you bi-amp the front speakers that the receiver can only drive up to a MAX of 5.1 speakers as opposed to 7.2?

2. I would think that even if you hooked up the front speakers in a "normal" configuration (i.e. no bi-amping) that the receiver will still drive all 5.1 speakers - NO?

#21 ·
I plan on using Audyssey speaker calibration system when I get my receiver next week.

According to Audyssey's web-site it says: "If your AVR has set any speakers to “Large” or “Full Range”, change them to “Small”. If you don’t, then there will be no bass playing from your sub-woofer!"

I want to get the cleanest and most powerful bass possible from my system.

Questions:

1. Is it a good idea to bi-amp your front speakers when using a powered sub-woofer?

2. Does bi-amping affect the amount of low frequency sound sent to and output from your powered sub-woofer?

3. This receiver's speaker settings don't have a "small" setting. What is the equivalent setting on this receiver? And, do I need to set this before I use the Audyssey speaker calibration?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYGASER /forum/post/20618017

I want to get the cleanest and most powerful bass possible from my system.

Questions:

1. Is it a good idea to bi-amp your front speakers when using a powered sub-woofer?

No. In fact, when using a powered sub, the main amps do a lot less work, making bi-amping even less compelling.

Quote:
2. Does bi-amping affect the amount of low frequency sound sent to and output from your powered sub-woofer?

Not at all.

Quote:
3. This receiver's speaker settings don't have a "small" setting. What is the equivalent setting on this receiver?

You just choose the crossover frequency: 40Hz to 80Hz(THX) to 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz (p. 48 of manual).

Quote:
And, do I need to set this before I use the Audyssey speaker calibration?

No. Only the settings mentioned on p. 47.

Quote:
According to the Owner's Manual it says: "When bi-amping is used, the AV receiver is able to drive up to 5.1 speakers in the main room."

Maybe the wording got lost in translation but to me this says "... if you don't bi-amp then the receiver will be driving less than 5.1 speakers." or in other words, you won't have a true 5.1 system.

Questions:

1. Does Onkyo mean that when you bi-amp the front speakers that the receiver can only drive up to a MAX of 5.1 speakers as opposed to 7.2?

Yes.

Quote:
2. I would think that even if you hooked up the front speakers in a "normal" configuration (i.e. no bi-amping) that the receiver will still drive all 5.1 speakers - NO?

Yes, either 5.1 or even 7.1.

#23 ·
I am using bose acoustimass 16 speaker series II system on zone 1 and bose Free space 51 on zone 2.

What ohms do I sent the system? page 13 of the manual says:

You can connect speakers with an impedance of between

4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the connected

speakers is 4 ohms or more, but less than 6 ohms, be sure

to set the minimum speaker impedance to “4ohms”

(➔ page 47). If you use speakers with a lower

impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels

for a long period of time, the built-in protection circuit

may be activated.

When I first set this up, I set it to 6, but recall not getting any sound. I then switch to 4.

Bose acoustimass manual says compatible with receivers from 10 to 200 watts per channel, rated from 4 to 8 ohms.

does it make a difference?

thanks,

Mike

#24 ·
I got this receiver a couple of days ago. I purchased it from NewEgg for $699. I have a Pair of Aeprion 6T, 6C and 4Bs to go with it. I replaced an Onkyo 608 with this unit. I do not profess to be a super audiophile but this is one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have ever owned. The difference between the 809 and 608 are dramatic. Their is a richness to the sound that the cheaper receiver can not match. I do not know if it is real or my mind is playing tricks on me so that I can justify purchasing another receiver less than a year after the 608 but, it does not matter. It sounds great to me.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dm /forum/post/20604311

-4dm (yes, I'm a noob)

Which speakers do you have now?

Greg

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde /forum/post/20619233

I got this receiver a couple of days ago. I purchased it from NewEgg for $699. I have a Pair of Aeprion 6T, 6C and 4Bs to go with it. I replaced an Onkyo 608 with this unit. I do not profess to be a super audiophile but this is one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have ever owned. The difference between the 809 and 608 are dramatic. Their is a richness to the sound that the cheaper receiver can not match. I do not know if it is real or my mind is playing tricks on me so that I can justify purchasing another receiver less than a year after the 608 but, it does not matter. It sounds great to me.

Please elaborate on the sound improvement over the 608! Music? Movies? Both? I am about to move from a 608 to what I hope will be the 809? I went from an 804 to a 608 for cost reasons and when listening to movies and music loud, I swear the 608 is quite a bit inferior. By loud I mean sustained levels of around 90 db according to my rat-shack meter.

Greg