AVS Forum banner

Official Integra DTR-20.3/30.3/40.3/50.3 Thread

Tags
integra
108K views 372 replies 109 participants last post by  The_Nephilim1 
#1 ·
Integra's updated DTR-xx.3 line of receivers has just been announced and should be shipping soon. Unfortunately, a call to customer service today resulted in no definitive ship date. Only information they had was "out of stock". The line looks to be pretty impressive for the prices listed:

DTR-20.3 = $600
DTR-30.3 = $800
DTR-40.3 = $1,000
DTR-50.3 = $1,400

The DTR-50.3 looks like it could compete well with Yamaha's RX-A3000 and Denon's AVR-3312 (or 4311). Thoughts?

PS: Now if we could just see an announcement for the updated DTR-70.3 and DTR-80.3 models too!

See less See more
#278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/22058532

I just ran the Audysse and it made my center channel worse. S sounds way higher pitched and harsh compared to turning Audysse off.

I don't get why it made things worse.

I have the Integra DTR 40.3 and newest firmware.

I would read through the audyssey faq to ensure everything was setup and ran properly. Audyssey can produce poor results if not setup and ran properly. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=51803

#280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Pete /forum/post/21472848

And I think I understand that the 40.3 only sends a mono signal pre-out to the sub. Do they call it 7.2 because the .2 means there are 2 outputs built in as if the "Y" splitter cable is preinstalled?

I've come to the same conclusion above, but would like to confirm. I know the quote above is from a few months ago, but can anyone confirm that this is the way the Integra 40.3 operates?

I'm trying to determine if I use only one of the of the sub outs on the 40.3 or both to connect to a Paradigm X-850 (subwoofer amplifier) that has one set of L/R inputs that drive two outputs to Paradigm subwoofers.

Basically, do I just run one sub out to the "R (mono)" input of the X-850? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any thoughts....

#283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/22062751

I did.

And i don't see anything in the GUI to change anything in audysey. All I can do is hit start. There are no other options.

Its not all about the gui its about the setup. Did you use a tripod or boom adapter for the mic? Was the room totally silent? Did you follow the recommended measuring positions? There is a ton of info in that link.

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses /forum/post/0

Its not all about the gui its about the setup. Did you use a tripod or boom adapter for the mic? Was the room totally silent? Did you follow the recommended measuring positions? There is a ton of info in that link.

Yes I did everything proper. It set up sound normal I just hate how it made the center way too bright and screwed it up so s sounds way worse. Higher pitch bright.

#285 ·
I was disappointed that the 40.3 does not have HD radio built-in, but went ahead and got it knowing I could add on the UP-HT1 to get HD Radio. After buying and connecting it, the FM sounds worse from the UP-HT1 than the regular FM receiver built in.Yes, I am using a good outdoor antenna, and the signal is clear, it just doesn't sound as good. I also wish it had replaced TUNER on the remote, so that others using the remote don't have to press PORT to hear HD Radio. I've had it a few months and never use it, so it's going on eBay unless someone has a suggestion. So far, I don't recommend a UP-HT1. The internal tuner soiunds better.

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a  /t/1341698/official-integra-dtr-20-3-30-3-40-3-50-3-thread/270#post_22113003

I just been thinking about it is all. Just bought it like 4 weeks ago or so. Not sure if I wanna keep it.

Well, I'm going to move on something in the next coming days so if you decide to sell it let me know.

#293 ·
I've had a DTR-40.3 for several months now and I love it. I've been using Pandora since I got it and very recently it has begun to stutter a couple of times whenever I adjust the volume. It's as if changing the volume (maybe the OSD?) is bogging down the audio processing. I performed a firmware upgrade this past weekend and I'm not sure but I think I had the problem prior to that, because I remember thinking that the upgrade might cure it. The odd thing is that it didn't used to happen and I haven't made any changes to my system. I've checked my internet speed and it's plenty fast enough, though like I said, it only happens while I'm adjusting the volume so I don't think it has anything to do with the network. I tried unplugging the receiver for several minutes but no change. Anyone else experienced this or heard of it?

-Greg

(The only network source I use is Pandora so I don't know about the other network streaming sources, but it doesn't happen with non-network sources.)

#294 ·
Hi all,

I just got my Integra DTR-40.3 today and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the surround backs working in my 7.1 setup. I made sure to turn off powered zone 2, but that did not work. I also tested to make sure it wasn't an issue with the speakers and hooked them up to the surround left and right and they worked just fine.

Setup

PIONEER KRP-500M

Integra DTR-40.3

Fronts: JM Labs Electra 936

Center: Focal Profile CC 901

Rear Surround: Focal Profile SR 908 (Dipole)

Back Surround: JM Labs Cobalt SR 800

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#296 ·
How do you use zone 2 to listen to net radio, Xbox 360 and LAN streaming on 40.3? I have zone 2 speakers that I wanna use for audio streaming and CDs on my 360.

5.1 main zone will still need access to everything.

Main zone needs video to see what I'm doing when selecting net radio stations etc and control LAN streaming and 360 since zone 2 is in the same room. I'm using zone 2 for music only. So I'll need to see what I'm doing on tv while audio is zone 2.

#297 ·
Integra DTR-50.3 Review

Preface - [Skip to the Review section if you don't care about all of my bla bla bla!]

I'm a long time Denon fan since I worked at thegoodguys. When I lived in CA, I sold HT gear there and was privy to purchase equipment at 5% below cost and A/B tested everything to death

I've had my Denon AVR-5600, the first THX certified AC-3 receiver, since 1995, and it has been a beast! Hard to believe its 18 years old. Since the debut of blu-ray with more and more sound tracks being delivered in DTS I've had the itch to replace my 5600 but cannot afford the top of the line gear that I went into debt for when I was younger LOL.

So, about 6 months ago I stumbled on a Denon AVR-3806 in a pawn shop and snatched it up for $200. I somewhat reluctantly removed the 5600
and set it up in my system which consists of the Klipsch THX KT-LCR and KT-DS THX surrounds, Velodyne 1215 sub, Sony BDP-S560 blu-ray player, and a Sony KDL-46VE5 TV. The 3806 Had HDMI and component inputs that my 5600 lacked, but I soon discovered that it was 720p/1080i only. So I rewired most of my HDMI components straight to the TV.

I was now able to play DTS 5.1 encoded material. The 3806 was a slight improvement in recreating an open sound stage, but couldn't touch the 5600's volume levels, and to make matters worse the 3806 sounded out right terrible when playing music. I was a bit disappointed in this since 50% of my listening is Music and I was use to my 5600 being able to sound decent and play music at ear splitting levels without distortion.

I purchased a new home about 7 years ago and I've finally had enough tripping over my surround sound speaker wires and decided to switch to in ceiling speakers, and at the same time setup a 7.1 system, since my 3806 supposedly supported DTS ES Neo 6 and DD EX and Pro Logic PLIIx. I ordered two pair of Monoprice 4103 ceiling speakers to replace my di-pole surrounds. I had used the Monoprice 4103's before in an installation and they sounded great for the price even if they are a little lacking on the low end.

I installed the speakers as surround, and surround back (there's no way I could do SW, or SH in my room), and hooked them up to my 3806 and tried everything to get a real 6.1/7.1 playback from it and couldn't. I'm not sure if I didn't have anything encoded in DTS ES or DD EX (looked through my entire library and googled for titles but I think I was a few years late trying to play those formats) or If i didnt have the the cryptic settings of my Sony blu-ray player set right. It may have been me not knowing what I was doing as I've been out of the loop about 15 years. I don't know, but I wasn't having it! and I wanted to be able to play back Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio.

So, my search began and I started researching receivers in my budget, and found myself wanting to stretch my budget more and more! I looked at Denon and was disapointed with all of the reviews of hardware failure, and having worked for and AV store I had seen my fair share of Denon receivers in for repair, altho my 5600 has been rock solid. Sorting through my options I remembered a few years ago a friend of mine bought an Integra Receiver (not sure what model) and I helped him set it up and it sounded pretty damn good. So I found this thread and read it start to finish and decided to see what I could find in the market.

Review

I found a bargain on an Integra DTR-50.3 on e-bay in immaculate condition for less than half MSRP. I've been auditioning it in my home for the last 4 days. I got it set up and ran a 5 pt. Audssey setup (yes I unplugged my refridgerator LOL), and watched "Rise of the Guardians." WOW! Never heard anything like it in a home theater. This was like going from Pro Logic Surround to 5.1 AC-3 back in 1995 all over again! This is what I was looking for!

The Integra DTR-50.3 created an enveloping sound stage with amazing detail. There is a lot of surround content in "Rise of the Guardians", but when played on the Denon AVR-3806 there was just no presence like the Integra DTR-50.3. I don't think I can say enough about this receiver!

I will say that, there is a lot to learn with this receiver. Moving from the Denon 5600 to the 3806 I was very comfortable, but from the Denon to the Integra, there has been a bit of a learning curve.

I do like the clean layout of the "iPod Classic like" onscreen menu system, but I wish some of the features were more easily accessible from the remote. Specifically selecting the native surround mode, or turning Audessy on or off, or selecting the monitor output resolution. I'm still trying to memorize the location of these settings in the menu system so I can make quick changes when listening to various content/media.

Since half of my listening/viewing is music content I put in my "Delirious Farewell Show" blu-ray in, selected the DTS 5.1 Master Audio Track and began to listen. It sounded ok, but I've listened to this countless times on my 5600 in DD and it always sounded very crisp. It was missing detail in the front channels. I had the Integra in Audssey Music mode and tried switching through several other modes, until I finally got up and stuck my ear close to the LCR speakers and discovered that the center channel volume was way too low compared to the Left and Right channels, and that's where all the crisp vocals were. I put the receiver in plain old DTS Master Audio mode and tweaked the center channel. What a difference! The Integra blows the Denon 3806 away when it comes to music, and compared to the 5600 the Integra has opened up the sound stage even further.

The only thing I truly miss about the 5600 now is the 140 watts per channel toroidal amplifier. In every other way the Integra 50.3 surpasses my 18 year old 5600 and leaves a smile on my face. I do like the fact that the Integra has the discrete analog output, and this may push me to buy a separate amp to power my power hungry Klipsch KT-LCR's, or possibly upgrade to an 80.3 if I can score a deal on one somewhere down the road

I did use some of the Net features of the 50.3. I setup my Pandora One account and streamed music most of the day today. The Pandora interface is low resolution and clunky, but gets the job done.

I tried the DLNA features too, but once again the user interface got in the way, and I'm not sure, that in my Apple ecosystem, DLNA will ever top the user experience I'm accustomed to with my Apple TV. It's not perfect but it's way better than what DLNA has to offer.

Part of me wishes I could be on their user interface design team.
It could be so much better. I'm finding myself in the menu's all the time tweaking output levels for each channel depending on the source. I hope this doesn't get old and and curb my enthusiasm, because I love this receiver.

As far as video quality, I noticed right away that the image was softer than what I'm use to when my components were connected directly to the TV, but this gives the image a more film like look compared to the uber realistic harsh edges we are so use to seeing in HD content.

Overall, the Integra DTR-50.3 is a great receiver, if you're on the fence about a decision it's time to jump off! You won't be sorry.

#298 ·
Wow, talk about a dead thread. In any case, I hope someone might still come to my aid!

I own a 40.3 and my issue is stated below... read on!

So I tried running Audyssey but every time I do, the setup freezes after like 3/4 chirps and just sits on the setup screen with "reading left channel" or something to that extent. I receive no error messages of any sort and the only way to exit setup is unplug the mic or cycle power. Plagued with frustration I decided to update the firmware! VIOLA! Like magic Audyssey ran there after without any issues....... 1 time. Yes that's right it ran 1 time and now will not complete anymore, i.e. same story as prior to the update of the firmware. I am really at a loss here and have tried all types of other checks to ensure something else was not causing the issue.

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone provide some insight. Please don't say "you got a defect, bad board, etc, etc and it needs repair/replacement".... I've already come to that conclusion and was just hoping this is not the case.

#299 ·
I hate to say this, but I'm severely disappointed in the quality of the Integra DTR 40.3, and I have a similar problem.

I unfortunately have experienced the dreaded failed HDMI board issue and it appears that the amp has now gone out. I tried doing the reset by holding down VCR/DVR and the standby button and no luck. I also tried running Audyssey and all it gives me is a "please wait" on the screen and never goes anywhere. I'm going to try and see if I can get it warranty serviced.

Sadly I'm not the only one experiencing these issues and I will definitely think again before purchasing another Onkyo/Integra product in the future

As for those that are out of warranty and are having the HDMI board issue. There is a guy on eBay that a friend of mine used that will replace the capacitors that are causing the "HDMI video with no audio" issue which seems to resolve the issue. He's easy to find on google by doing a search for "integra HDMI board fix ebay"

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibbomatteo  /t/1341698/official-integra-dtr-20-3-30-3-40-3-50-3-thread/270#post_23821200

I hate to say this, but I'm severely disappointed in the quality of the Integra DTR 40.3, and I have a similar problem.

I unfortunately have experienced the dreaded failed HDMI board issue and it appears that the amp has now gone out. I tried doing the reset by holding down VCR/DVR and the standby button and no luck. I also tried running Audyssey and all it gives me is a "please wait" on the screen and never goes anywhere. I'm going to try and see if I can get it warranty serviced.

Sadly I'm not the only one experiencing these issues and I will definitely think again before purchasing another Onkyo/Integra product in the future

As for those that are out of warranty and are having the HDMI board issue. There is a guy on eBay that a friend of mine used that will replace the capacitors that are causing the "HDMI video with no audio" issue which seems to resolve the issue. He's easy to find on google by doing a search for "integra HDMI board fix ebay"

Cibbo, I'm with you on this. I too am quite disappointed. I made the mistake of purchasing this new about 1.5yrs ago and for $1000 price tag this is totally unacceptable. I know some will say well that happens with all electronics blah blah, etc., however I say if a company has price points like that, you would think their QA checks would be a little more in depth. So now, under warranty, I have to pay money to ship this out to a repair facility AND pay for the return shipping AND be without my system for a couple/few weeks while it gets repaired because I received a DEFECTIVE product from the manufacturer. Now THAT'S a company that stands by its stuff! I can understand companies that are around the 500$ or less price point, but once you're talking this kind of money, I find it laughable. Definitely will not be purchasing any other Onkyo/Integra products in the future.

I apologize to everyone for my rant.

Carry on gents, nothing to see here!

#301 ·
Help! Integra 30.3 stopped all audio output while USB and NET say Now Initialize on screen

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I have an Integra 30.3 HT unit. It drives a Dynaudio Audiance 122c, two Polk Rears (or Dyn 42s depending on setup at the time). I drive a sub with the sub out cable and send the front Pre Outs to my main rig.

A couple times when firing up the whole system, which includes an OPPO93, I had to turn all off and on again because of no sound but it always re-syncs upon restart. The last movie I watched was a ripped version of This is the end that I had as an AVI file. It kept throwing staticy crackling noises thru the speakers so I thought it was just a bad rip.

I changed rooms and watched it thru another OPPO93 and smaller 2ch rig with no issues.

Well last night I went to setup some tunes for massage night from USB stick into the Integra. When switching to USB input, the display switches to "Now Initializ". It also says that for NET input.

I get absolutely no sound from any input or Headphone output but the unit appears to be OK in Tuner, DVD and such.

A Factory Reset also did nothing to help.

Is there a blown fuse? Or is this an issue of a chincy electronic part ruining a $500 unit? I have to pull my paperwork and think I may still be in the 3 years for waranty, but hoping there is a simple solution.

Someone mentioned a partial firmware update but it looks like the lates updates were USB only and now the unit will not read any stick, just says "Now Initializ"

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.