Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally:
got my 40.3 set up. Right out of the box It sounded very good. smooth clear and very detailed to my supprise. I did my imput setups no real problems still have a couple things I have to figure out. I did read the manual first. Most negatives are just user error. After the imput setting and just light speaker set I did the firmware updates. There I had some issues and had to try three times again user error. Finally got to the full audessey 8 spots. Worked best ever measurements were right on , levels , distance just reset the speakers all to 89hz I use thx a lot. The only complaint is I have two 18 inch powered subs and It made me trim them and it adjusted them two low. I like a bit more base and after trying some more demos I know how to adjust them. I just came from a Pioneer elite sc-35 a very nice receiver but this compact integra has so many more options, Height , Wides dsx adjustments and more plus all great onscreen overlays and being able to adjust on the fly I would reccoment this definately over the Pioneers. Cannot hear any big difference going from an Ice amp either. I have a lot more playing around to do but so far very pleased. I also had a breif encounteer with integra customer service and it was very professional and helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Finally:
got my 40.3 set up. Right out of the box It sounded very good. smooth clear and very detailed to my supprise. I did my imput setups no real problems still have a couple things I have to figure out. I did read the manual first. Most negatives are just user error. After the imput setting and just light speaker set I did the firmware updates. There I had some issues and had to try three times again user error. Finally got to the full audessey 8 spots. Worked best ever measurements were right on , levels , distance just reset the speakers all to 89hz I use thx a lot. The only complaint is I have two 18 inch powered subs and It made me trim them and it adjusted them two low. I like a bit more base and after trying some more demos I know how to adjust them. I just came from a Pioneer elite sc-35 a very nice receiver but this compact integra has so many more options, Height , Wides dsx adjustments and more plus all great onscreen overlays and being able to adjust on the fly I would reccoment this definately over the Pioneers. Cannot hear any big difference going from an Ice amp either. I have a lot more playing around to do but so far very pleased. I also had a breif encounteer with integra customer service and it was very professional and helpful.

Keep us posted. Yep, all of my hiccups gave definitely been user error. I am still learning.

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #63 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Finally:

When you ran Audyessy did you set the sub volume at 75? After you run Audyessy no where does it say you can't tweak your settings. Just turn the sub volume up and tweak your subs to your liking. If I misunderstand your post I apologize in advance.

Jeff
post #64 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

When you ran Audyessy did you set the sub volume at 75? After you run Audyessy no where does it say you can't tweak your settings. Just turn the sub volume up and tweak your subs to your liking. If I misunderstand your post I apologize in advance.

Jeff

Do not touch the volume on the sub after running audyssey...only adjust the sub trim level within the receiver so audyssey has knowledge of the adjustment.
post #65 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Jeff

Jeff

No problem. Yes I did set the subs at 75 and I know I can adjust after running aud. I set my integra to all small and the sub at 80hz also after running and actuallly this evening I ran a couple of blu rays and the bass was very good clear sharp and not boomy. Might be a little light but I found some scenes that did shake the house. I am going to leave all the settings for a while. I think it might be the best speaker adjustments I have ever had and I have had a lot of receivers and separates. I am beginning to think this little unit rocks. The one thing I do not like is you can only get onscreen overlay on the main output only so I set my tv for sub and Projector as main. I mostly like to see status etc when I begin a film . Other than that right now no complaints. Have yet to try the phono sacd multi channel and internet radio on this will tommorow.

Jegg thank you for your reply. seems like a nice bunch of members on this form.

post #66 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Do not touch the volume on the sub after running audyssey...only adjust the sub trim level within the receiver so audyssey has knowledge of the adjustment.

Thanks for the imput I havent touched it yet but that is how I would do it

Thanks

post #67 of 322 Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the imput I havent touched it yet but that is how I would do it

Thanks

One other thing...you wrote that you set the sub crossover to 80hz...did you mean the LPF of LFE...this is not a crossover...it is actually a low pass filter. You want to change this to 120hz because if you leave it at 80 you are actually losing information. This just means that it will send all the low frequency information on the movie track to your sub. Movies are mixed at 120 LPF of LFE.
post #68 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One other thing...you wrote that you set the sub crossover to 80hz...did you mean the LPF of LFE...this is not a crossover...it is actually a low pass filter. You want to change this to 120hz because if you leave it at 80 you are actually losing information. This just means that it will send all the low frequency information on the movie track to your sub. Movies are mixed at 120 LPF of LFE.

Yes I did mean the LPF of LFE I will put it back to 120 LPF like I said i did a lot for one day. Thanks again for the help.

post #69 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:

Yes I did mean the LPF of LFE I will put it back to 120 LPF like I said i did a lot for one day. Thanks again for the help.

Sounds like you did do a lot. It's a blast tinkering around and you learn as you go. Go to the Setup, Speaker Setting, and Speaker Configuration to change Fronts and Centers to the 80 you are looking for.

To bump the Sub and Center a little bit, you would go down from the Speaker Configuration to Speaker Calibration. Do it here rather than manually on the speaker itself (like the sub) for Audyssey purposes.

Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #70 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post
Sounds like you did do a lot. It's a blast tinkering around and you learn as you go. Go to the Setup, Speaker Setting, and Speaker Configuration to change Fronts and Centers to the 80 you are looking for.

To bump the Sub and Center a little bit, you would go down from the Speaker Configuration to Speaker Calibration. Do it here rather than manually on the speaker itself (like the sub) for Audyssey purposes.
I actually had some time to fool around with the receiver more today. I set all my speakers even my big heavy weitht floorstanding ones to 80 with the sub lpf at 120 as suggested and man this little bugger rocks. I have had some pretty good stuff in the past even the top of line onky 5007 and 5008 just sold a great pio elite sc37 which i thought a lot of and of them all this one sounds more like a separate system than any. It seems warm detailed and very powerful I have an 11.2 set up and although I cannot run all at once I like having the ability to switch with thw push of a button. I was concerned about this unit being too small and not running at a decent level for my system but now strain at all. I tried some internett radionn I tuner, pandora and all were amazing . I ran a coouple of movies and mostly I use the backs but si fi sounds great with the heights and music sounds great with the addition of wides especially classical or guitar and smooth jazz. Only complaint is the lack of onscreen display and set up from both HDMI outputs. but that is on the more expensive units. The only way I would give this up is to mabey next year trade up for more features. I am quickly becomming an integra fan. I also found the universal remote easy to set up working my cabel box tv and bd player so far. The video processor doesn't send me but I mostly use through I have not tried to upscale LD's or reg dvd yet but I did try my sacd multi channel through the multi imputs this is where the quality parts seem to really shine pure undistorted high sounding multi or two channel music. Again sorry for the long post. I also called integra csr for two things which turned out to be user era but they were very pleasant and accomadating.

post #71 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06

I actually had some time to fool around with the receiver more today. I set all my speakers even my big heavy weitht floorstanding ones to 80 with the sub lpf at 120 as suggested and man this little bugger rocks. I have had some pretty good stuff in the past even the top of line onky 5007 and 5008 just sold a great pio elite sc37 which i thought a lot of and of them all this one sounds more like a separate system than any. It seems warm detailed and very powerful I have an 11.2 set up and although I cannot run all at once I like having the ability to switch with thw push of a button. I was concerned about this unit being too small and not running at a decent level for my system but now strain at all. I tried some internett radionn I tuner, pandora and all were amazing . I ran a coouple of movies and mostly I use the backs but si fi sounds great with the heights and music sounds great with the addition of wides especially classical or guitar and smooth jazz. Only complaint is the lack of onscreen display and set up from both HDMI outputs. but that is on the more expensive units. The only way I would give this up is to mabey next year trade up for more features. I am quickly becomming an integra fan. I also found the universal remote easy to set up working my cabel box tv and bd player so far. The video processor doesn't send me but I mostly use through I have not tried to upscale LD's or reg dvd yet but I did try my sacd multi channel through the multi imputs this is where the quality parts seem to really shine pure undistorted high sounding multi or two channel music. Again sorry for the long post. I also called integra csr for two things which turned out to be user era but they were very pleasant and accomadating.
Sounds great. I am really enjoying my set-up. Wow, 11.2, you must have a great system!

Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #72 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
William, I am considering this receiver as well as the demon 3312 and possibly one of the new yamahas. My big concern with the integer is a concern about how hot they said that last years models got. Have you found this to be a problem? If it gets hot, an u compare it to the pioneer that you had or the Yamaha?
Thanks much
post #73 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

William, I am considering this receiver as well as the demon 3312 and possibly one of the new yamahas. My big concern with the integer is a concern about how hot they said that last years models got. Have you found this to be a problem? If it gets hot, an u compare it to the pioneer that you had or the Yamaha?
Thanks much

It gets very warm compared to the pioneer but not enough to concern me. I had an onkyo 5007 and 5008 and there were a lot of complaints about heat I never though they got that hot. I used usb fans on them just as a precaution but not necessary. The pioneer got warm not as warm as the integra but I would definately not be concerned about it. I had listened to a yammy 2000 and almost got it but decided on the integra. I felt it is a better quality product especially after getting it in my system ahd there is some protection if you want to sell to upgrade latter on . The other onkyo and even the pioneer elites are being prostituted all over and they do not honor the warranties you cannot even transt fer the onkyo warranties. Just my .02

I am adding this at the end of this evening. After running pretty heavy tonight as soon as I turned it off for the evening I checked the top of the unit and it was really just luke warm not at all hot just comfortably warm have no fear. Has anyone else chedked this I know heat is a strong concern and talked about in a lot of the receiver threads and the Onkyo themselves seem to be considered the hottest. Like I said I never had any receiver run real hot except for a Pioneer elite 49txi I had years ago.

post #74 of 322 Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

Sounds great. I am really enjoying my set-up. Wow, 11.2, you must have a great system!

Glad you like yours. Yeah 11.2 crazy huh. but it is a mix of speakers but all the auto set ups seem to work out very well, this one the best first go round.

post #75 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:

It gets very warm compared to the pioneer but not enough to concern me.

I'm going to start monitoring this as well, as my equipment is in a non-ventilated closet. I do have a thermometer in there - and have not yet seen a temp over 90F. The device putting out the most heat is probably my wireless router.

I'll probably have to drop in an exhaust fan at some point, but I've been told not to worry about anything less than 120F as far as electronics goes.

-DavidVTHokie
post #76 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVTHokie View Post

I'm going to start monitoring this as well, as my equipment is in a non-ventilated closet. I do have a thermometer in there - and have not yet seen a temp over 90F. The device putting out the most heat is probably my wireless router.

I'll probably have to drop in an exhaust fan at some point, but I've been told not to worry about anything less than 120F as far as electronics goes.

I have a 40.2 and it does get hot. I have blown power Amps that will actually burn your hand when they go so it isn't that bad. I think imtegras get hot because they stay true to specs for the most part with watts per channel. If it blows you can always get a new one tho with the 3 year warranty.
post #77 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a 40.2 and it does get hot. I have blown power Amps that will actually burn your hand when they go so it isn't that bad. I think imtegras get hot because they stay true to specs for the most part with watts per channel. If it blows you can always get a new one tho with the 3 year warranty.
That is weird I am running mostly all the time with 7.2 spekers the .2 runs off theyre own amp and part of my system are two big JBL 4 way towers all speakers are 6ohm though. so far my 40.2 stays warm on or off never really hot the elite 35 I had just got a little less warm neither receiver I would call hot at all. I do believe you with theyre running to specs. I have no fear of it blowing out. But your right nice warranty.

post #78 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is weird I am running mostly all the time with 7.2 spekers the .2 runs off theyre own amp and part of my system are two big JBL 4 way towers all speakers are 6ohm though. so far my 40.2 stays warm on or off never really hot the elite 35 I had just got a little less warm neither receiver I would call hot at all. I do believe you with theyre running to specs. I have no fear of it blowing out. But your right nice warranty.
I'm comparing it to pro amps which I use to power my subs...pro amps are basically made to run in nightclubs all night at extremely loud volume. With movie bass duty they aren't being asked to do much and the amps also get breaks and time to cool down. I can still lay my hand directly on the 40.2 without getting burned but it also has alot to do with listening level. Most of the time I'm -20 to -10db. The louder you play the hotter it is going to get. I also have mine in my middle cabinet rack so there is no glass in front but still an enclosed area.
post #79 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
looking to use a 30.3, 40.3 or 50.3 as a preamp, are the features all the same except the amps, thanks
post #80 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM

If you are "willing" to consider the 50.3, you might take a gander at the DHC 40.2. I don't think the DHC 40.3 is out yet.
post #81 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
If you are "willing" to consider the 50.3, you might take a gander at the DHC 40.2. I don't think the DHC 40.3 is out yet.
DHC 40.3 is in production and should be available soon
post #82 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm comparing it to pro amps which I use to power my subs...pro amps are basically made to run in nightclubs all night at extremely loud volume. With movie bass duty they aren't being asked to do much and the amps also get breaks and time to cool down. I can still lay my hand directly on the 40.2 without getting burned but it also has alot to do with listening level. Most of the time I'm -20 to -10db. The louder you play the hotter it is going to get. I also have mine in my middle cabinet rack so there is no glass in front but still an enclosed area.
I have to admit mine is on the top of my cabinet with plenty of air around it. I guess that has a lot to do with it to. I do play it quite loud though movies music. This is the smalles receiver in power and size I have had in a while and unless it is placebo the best all the way around. The sound is rich warm and strong not harsh or unerving. I liked the pioneer elite jus always a bit to bright for my tastes. Down the road when business gets better I might like to upgrade to a 70.3 0r 80.3

post #83 of 322 Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to admit mine is on the top of my cabinet with plenty of air around it. I guess that has a lot to do with it to. I do play it quite loud though movies music. This is the smalles receiver in power and size I have had in a while and unless it is placebo the best all the way around. The sound is rich warm and strong not harsh or unerving. I liked the pioneer elite jus always a bit to bright for my tastes. Down the road when business gets better I might like to upgrade to a 70.3 0r 80.3
I want to try to pick up a demo 80.2 from one of my local stores. They said I could have a hell of a deal on it. The only upgrade I can see happening is the new video chip. This is not important to me at all but I would like to take full advantage of audyssey sub eq ht for my 4 15's in two boxes. I have really bad phase issues due to how my room is.
post #84 of 322 Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to try to pick up a demo 80.2 from one of my local stores. They said I could have a hell of a deal on it. The only upgrade I can see happening is the new video chip. This is not important to me at all but I would like to take full advantage of audyssey sub eq ht for my 4 15's in two boxes. I have really bad phase issues due to how my room is.

I had xt32 in my 5008 I think you will like what it does although I found at the moment the xt p;retty decent with the 40.3 I would not mind an 80.2 but mabey next year I will go for a 80.3 0r 70.3 . If you can get a really good deal go for it and enjoy.

post #85 of 322 Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Liked: 11
Most of my viewing is DirecTv, primarilly 1080i or 720p sources, with the occassional SD thrown in. For viewing the best picture available, would you run the DTV direct to the TV via HDMI for video, optical to the receiver for audio, of HDMI through the 50.3 first for additional video processing? A bit off topic, but I'm hoping someone w/ the same set up can shed some light. I've heard the phrase "garbage in-garbage out" so I'm not sure if I will gain anything using the processing of the 50.3, and might be better off going direct to the display.
For my OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray, I'm running direct to the display since it has some pretty impressive processing chips of it's own.
Thanks in advance
post #86 of 322 Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy View Post

Most of my viewing is DirecTv, primarilly 1080i or 720p sources, with the occassional SD thrown in. For viewing the best picture available, would you run the DTV direct to the TV via HDMI for video, optical to the receiver for audio, of HDMI through the 50.3 first for additional video processing? A bit off topic, but I'm hoping someone w/ the same set up can shed some light. I've heard the phrase "garbage in-garbage out" so I'm not sure if I will gain anything using the processing of the 50.3, and might be better off going direct to the display.
For my OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray, I'm running direct to the display since it has some pretty impressive processing chips of it's own.
Thanks in advance

Run everything thru the receiver except for video games. The reason for this is to make switching between inputs easier and improved sound.
post #87 of 322 Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to say thanks to those starting this thread. Leading me down another path of indecision but a very interesting one.

I'm coming from an older Arcam receiver so finding good AQ is important to me, although 2 things are in my favor.

1. My hearing is not quite what it used to be.
2. Most receivers have steadily improved at delivering quality sound.

I've been drifting between the Denon/Marantz duos, and more recently Yamaha.
I considered Anthem also, but I don't like being short-changed in some features for what I don't doubt is excellent audio, but for a company who has been building high-end equipment putting a quality amp section together should not be that costly anymore.

I've read a lot of positives over the Integra line over the years and hope to learn more.
post #88 of 322 Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a 40.3 I need both Hdmi outputs. I was used to the onkyo 5008 with all functions on either out put and same with the pioneer elite sc-35. I have one HDMI to my 1080p jvc pj and the other to a toshiba older dvi imput rear project tube tv max 1080I here I use HDMI to DVI. any suggestions how to set up both which sub and which main. and how best to set up in the menu. Right now I have sub into tv and main into PJ not sure to set sub, sub both , both main or both main this kind of set up new to me. The audio no problem I do like the receiver so far . any suggestions would be appreciated.

post #89 of 322 Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I have a 40.3 I need both Hdmi outputs. I was used to the onkyo 5008 with all functions on either out put and same with the pioneer elite sc-35. I have one HDMI to my 1080p jvc pj and the other to a toshiba older dvi imput rear project tube tv max 1080I here I use HDMI to DVI. any suggestions how to set up both which sub and which main. and how best to set up in the menu. Right now I have sub into tv and main into PJ not sure to set sub, sub both , both main or both main this kind of set up new to me. The audio no problem I do like the receiver so far . any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is these very questions that brought me to this thread. Can't say I've got my head around it completely but this is what understand...

The SUB output is more or less a pass-thru. It does not manage the signal at all. If you had a set top box connected to HDMI 2 and it was set to 480p, then that is what SUB would output. If you wanted to upscale that to 1080p to send to the display, then SUB wouldn't be suitable. You'd want to use SUB for outputing blu-ray, or connecting to a video processor or display that has superior scaling than the QED in the Integra.

What is confusing is that the 40.3 seems to be the only unit that is configured this way. Even the Onkyo 709 which is practically identical is configured like all the other dual HDMI out AVRs (which feature scaling on both outputs).

HDMI MAIN is also the only output that supports the onscreen GUI and ARC (this isn't unique to the 40.3 though), so that too may affect how you choose to configure your setup.

Personally speaking, I can never envision a configuration where I would need both HDMI outputs to do scaling/management of the video signal.
If that is a requirement, then the Onkyo 709 or Integra DTR-50.3 would be better options as they are more flexible.
post #90 of 322 Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I tell you I have enjoyed the 40.3 so much being my first Integra that I spoke to my dealer today and he offered to let me return it to purchase a 50.3. As I feel these models are keepers for a while I wanted the few extra features from the 50.3 The video processing and extra power and extra usp imput. I do use the two HDMI outputs and am currently using the main for my PJ to upscale my older video sources such as LD. I believ the processing in the 50.3 will add to that experience. One thing of all the receivers i have had this one has had absolutely no glitches what soever Video or audio. a smooth sweet sound and great HDMI compatability. I would reccoment these to anyone .

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page