I've been trying to decide between these two receivers and I need some sagely wisdom. I apologize in advance for any misquoted features, this is the best I could come up with.
- As of posting this, I can find the Onkyo for about $65 cheaper
- 4K upscaling (because I'll do this when?
- 100W/channel vs 90W/channel
- iPod/iPhone support
- ethernet port
- 1080p upscaling
- component inputs
- Audyssey MultEQ XT vs 2EQ
- HDMI switching
A couple additional pieces of information:
- This will be my first AVR
- I will be buying this in conjunction with a set of speakers (currently looking at some Polk Monitor 60s and 40s and a BIC V1020)
- Devices to be used with it: Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Boxee Box (, maybe Tivo)
- The room is maybe 14' x 20' x 8' but isn't evenly shaped
The main sticking point is the Audyssey MultEQ XT vs 2EQ. I keep reading that the sub balancing is very nice but is it that noticeable? The price, 1080p upscaling, and higher channel power of the Onkyo are pulling me strongly towards it but the EQ is hard to ignore. Any and all suggestions are welcome. One other thought I had was the Denon AVR-1612; it's much closer in price to the Onkyo, still has MultEQ, but power drops to 75w/channel and lacks component inputs for the Wii. I'm not opposed to plugging the Wii straight into the tv though if needed.