Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 156 Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this is a known issue, but I can't find anything on it online;
1 - Hdmi source is used on main zone for watching tv.
2 - we turn on zone 2 for the kitchen
3 - using the iphone, I change the zone 2 source for network play
4 - the moment I select a song to play from the mediaserver on zone 2, the main zone also changes to that source instead of tv.

Very frustrating! Ay ideas? Known bug, workaround?

Thanks, Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexManning View Post

Maybe this is a known issue, but I can't find anything on it online;
1 - Hdmi source is used on main zone for watching tv.
2 - we turn on zone 2 for the kitchen
3 - using the iphone, I change the zone 2 source for network play
4 - the moment I select a song to play from the mediaserver on zone 2, the main zone also changes to that source instead of tv.
Very frustrating! Ay ideas? Known bug, workaround?
Thanks, Rex

Working as intended, I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in but while using network (in your case I'd assume Airplay) play in zone 2 zone 1 will also play whatever network play you are listening to. Not sure there is a workaround that unless you use something other than network (Airplay) for Zone 2.

From the official xx12 owners thread:

a. Airplay: The Airplay feature (audio only) is offered on the XX12 ( 1912 and higher) and XX13 (1613 and higher) networking models. It allows you to stream your iTunes songs wirelessly from your laptop, iPhone 3GS or newer (will not work with iPhone 3G), or iPad to one of the above models when both are connected to your home network. This feature can also be replicated on non-networking models by using an Apple TV (audio and video) or Airport Express (audio) connected to the AVR. There is however, a limitation when using the on board Airplay feature with the XX12 models in that when playing to Zone 2, you must also have the main zone ON and playing the same Airplay source as well (ie. cannot play another source in the main zone with Airplay in Zone 2). This same limitation also exists with the free Airplay firmware upgrade to the 3311CI/991 and 4311CI. However, when using Airplay via an Apple TV or Airport Express connected to the XX12 model, or the on board Airplay on the newer XX13 models, this limitation does not apply (ie. you can play the Airplay source to Zone 2 while listening to another source in the main zone). Also note that Apple currently has only licensed AVR mfr's to use Airplay in "audio" only mode (ie. no video). If you want to pass video, you'll to need to add the Apple TV. Note that in order to pass the ATV2's optical audio to Zone 2 using the XX12 models(1712, 1912, 2112CI, and 2312CI), and XX13 models(1713 and higher), you will also need to buy an optical to RCA analog converter similar to this one as these models can only pass analog audio from externally connected sources to Zone 2 (exception: the 3312CI can pass PCM 2.0 over the ATV optical cable to Zone 2).
post #93 of 156 Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 PM

Omg...there goes another investment. Why does Denon keep on fumbling up every product I buy over the years??! Maybe it's time for a new brand, since Denon always surprises me with something utterly strange and stupid every time. mad.gif

...so far for the frustration. I also read that part later on, thanks. Only strange thing though; i am not operating airplay, but net-play. Choosing a song over lan. Would netradio also cause the problem? I will demo later on. This is serious cause for a firmware update...
post #94 of 156 Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Status: fixed... somewhat... It's the Denone Remote App that messes everything up. That's why it doesn't work to play over Lan on another zone and watch tv on the main. It pushes the signal to the zones, I presume it even addresses airplay (which it shouldn't) and utilizes the stupid "works as designed" (which I am having a hard time to believe, who would want to design something that daft) functionality.

I then bought the app: DeRemote from another party. Fixes all problems, I can now listen to music in the kitchen while someone else uses the main zone for anything else.
post #95 of 156 Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Great information on this site, got me past a few issues with my 3312. Still having two that I'd like to sort....

1. The first is that the sources seem to get locked up. I may be connected and streaming via airplay some music and shut it down, then later turn on the TV and try to switch sources and it won't let me. I hit the AMP key on the remote to try and regain control but it just won't switch sources until I unplug the unit and reset it. In other instances I may be playing music, put it in standby then try to bring it on later and it will say it can't control the device because it is already in use by another source. Again, unplugging the unit seems to resolve it.
  2. Second issue may just not be possible. But I have a DIrecTV box hooked up through HDMI, audio comes that way as well. Only way to control the volume though is to pick up the Denon remote, the volume control from the DirecTV source has no effect. I was hoping to be able to keep my hand on one remote, change channels and adjust the volume with the one device. I'm not looking for the DirecTV remote to send commands to the Denon box, I'm just looking for it to pass through the volume levels.
post #96 of 156 Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM

I am currently waiting for a THIRD refurbished 3312CI from Denon. The first 2 they sent me were defective. Very poor quality. Maybe it's because I purchased a refurb but why are they selling them to people broken right out of the box? I have way to many hours of frustration under my belt from this whole thing. $600 for the biggest headache of my life. Should you buy a Denon? You decide that for yourself but you can probably imagine I will never again. 6 weeks of troubleshooting, countless calls to Denon, several trips to Fedex shipping out defective units, and here I sit with an awesome 5.1 setup and NO receiver still because I am waiting for a 3rd unit, really sad. Denon should be ashamed. And yes I reset the damn microprocessor.
post #97 of 156 Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM

I am trying to setup a 7.2 speaker system with this receiver. My question is: how do I get the receiver to recognize the second subwoofer?

I have the subs connected to the "SW" and "SW1" Ports with RCA cables. When i go into the amp configuration section, I put it on normal and it only gives me a 7.1 setup. The manual says it should say 7.2. Am I doing something wrong our missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #98 of 156 Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy6 View Post

I am trying to setup a 7.2 speaker system with this receiver. My question is: how do I get the receiver to recognize the second subwoofer?
I have the subs connected to the "SW" and "SW1" Ports with RCA cables. When i go into the amp configuration section, I put it on normal and it only gives me a 7.1 setup. The manual says it should say 7.2. Am I doing something wrong our missing something?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As long as you have sound coming out of both subvwoofers, you're fine.
post #99 of 156 Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip6414 View Post

I am currently waiting for a THIRD refurbished 3312CI from Denon. The first 2 they sent me were defective. Very poor quality. Maybe it's because I purchased a refurb but why are they selling them to people broken right out of the box? I have way to many hours of frustration under my belt from this whole thing. $600 for the biggest headache of my life. Should you buy a Denon? You decide that for yourself but you can probably imagine I will never again. 6 weeks of troubleshooting, countless calls to Denon, several trips to Fedex shipping out defective units, and here I sit with an awesome 5.1 setup and NO receiver still because I am waiting for a 3rd unit, really sad. Denon should be ashamed. And yes I reset the damn microprocessor.
Did you get your third unit? I've sent mine out for the second time since I KNOW there's something wrong with it even though the first place I sent it to (Supercenter in TX) said nothing was wrong with it!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #100 of 156 Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

As long as you have sound coming out of both subvwoofers, you're fine.

When I run the Audissey scan, it only tests the left sub, will the other one still work when watching movies?
post #101 of 156 Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy6 View Post

When I run the Audissey scan, it only tests the left sub, will the other one still work when watching movies?
When you run the test tone (level check), is there sound from both subs?
post #102 of 156 Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM

I've been waiting on purchasing an AVR for a couple years now, going back and forth between buying an Onkyo or Denon. I finally found a pretty decent deal at Best Buy on clearance for the 3312CI for $628. Has all the features I could ever need at the moment, and hopefully for years to come. I'm currently running:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-517
Speakers: (5) older Bose Cube speakers
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK3
Sources: PS3 (FAT), AppleTV v3, OTA TV, Wii, iPhone 5 (Airplay)

Having done some reading recenlty on this site as well as some others, I've heard the usual Bose bashing. I even read mentions that the Audyssey calibration has problems with the Bose speakers. Prior to getting bashed myself, I would like to mention that these speakers were $FREE to me and have worked fine for me since installing them. I know that paying for some new speakers would be ideal, but it is nowhere in my budget, so I will have to make do. But I'd like to know if I can still utilize running the Audyssey calibration with my current Bose satellite speaker set-up? Has anyone had any experience doing so? Will it still work?

***Listing my HT gear in my signature on this board will make me feel like a puny, girlie man. Listen to me now but hear me later***
post #103 of 156 Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 AM

New to avsforum....decided to join as a result of how good my avr 3312 + B&W CM9 floor speaker setup sounds.

I've kept things very simple. CM9 floor speakers, Prism Omni heavy duty cable, gold plated banana plugs, bi-amped into the avr 3312. 1 usb stick containg FLAC files of Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson....bottom line.....sound track to my hopeful ascension into heaven....superb.

One day I will upgrade into a 5.1 setup but keeping it pure stereo for now.

One question....how hard can you drive this amp? After Audyssey setup etc, I'm blasting songs at 3db, occasionally 4. Am I blasting too hard?
post #104 of 156 Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 AM

I have Bose 701 floors and acoustimass 10 surrounds from 1998 driven by a yamaha DSPA1 also 1998 and it sounds great. Don't buy into the bashing. As per my previous post ^ I also now have a 3312 and could possibly test with the acoustimass....but....its downstairs and my 3312 is connected to cm9's upstairs.
post #105 of 156 Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM

PLEASE HELP....
i am running denon 3312 to a sony bdp s7900. however my tv is old plasma so there's no hmdi connection.
there for i'm connecting sony s790 to denon 3321 with HMDI 1
and connect denon 3321 to TV with component (monitor out)
the problem is this. i can hear audio through hdmi 1 fine, but there's no picture
i also connect DVD to denon 3321 and to TV, it works fine audio and video wise.
i already set sony s790 video output through HDMI already.
anything i'm missing?
post #106 of 156 Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yes... you cannot downconvert from hdmi to component in the avr...

no avr will do this... it is against "the rules", as it would have to remove the copy protection in order to do so...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #107 of 156 Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM

so there is nothing i can do unless i get a new TV that has a HDMI input
so i can run sony s790 to denon 3312 and to TV with HDMI connection?
post #108 of 156 Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM

I just picked up a new 3312CI yesterday, upgraded from a 1910 as I needed 3D pass through from our new TV. I've lurked around here for the last 2 years, but now I need some help. This new GUI is completely different and many things seem automated instead of forcing it to do what you want it to do. I'm having a problem with this denon reciever recognizing my 6th and 7th rear surround speakers, as well as my second subwoofer. The system goes through the setup just fine, but doesn't say I have any of those 3 outs that I am using. Any help? I've searched and searched, but I can't figure it out.

Also, the audio settings are different. Can you no longer set it to Pro-Logic Cinema/music 2, or force 7 speaker surround like you could with the 1910? The only surround modes seem to be Stereo, Direct, Standard, Multi Ch, rock arena, jazz, etc etc. No Dobly pro logic surround modes anymore?
post #109 of 156 Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM

......So I've figured out how to set the amp assign to normal in order to utilize my 6th and 7th speaker. Still haven't figured out why my 2nd sub is getting no signal.
post #110 of 156 Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm a new member so please excuse me if I'm not posting properly!

I just bought a 3312cl refurb about a month ago. I set it up in 7.1 configuration minus the center channel and with an oppo 93 and apple tv. My network was established with a wired connection from an Apple Airport express. I had difficulty downloading updates but finally succeeded.
Everthing seemed OK and I was thrilled with the performance!
Then the problems started with it after a few more days of use!
Changing between inputs started to slow down and it seemed to be seaching for them until I finally had to startup the amp in the various inputs to get a stable connection.
Now the amp seems to be turning itself off and on randomly through the program. ie: one might get thru an hour of a program before the off and on switching occurs. Then it switches off and on every 15 to 30sec and this continues for 10 or 20 minutes and then may or may not become stable again for30 min or more and then repeat the off/on performance again. There is no red lamp indicator just the nomal amber/green start-up lamp.

if anyone can help me i would be very greatful!
post #111 of 156 Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

Sherrok,
Where did you buy your 3312 from? If you read above I posted my experience with a refurb from Accessories 4 Less. I was sent 3 defective units in a row. The first unit was purchased from A4less and then 2 replacement units from Denon. There appears to be something inherently wrong with the refurbd 3312''s. Maybe it's a bad batch but I'm not really sure. If you can try and get rid of that unit. If you don't have a warranty from where you purchased it, call Denon and tell them your issue. If it's been less than 30 days Denon should replace the unit with another refurb but I would try and upgrade the 3313 if possible. After 3 defective units were sent to me by Denon, they sent me out a forth unit which was a brand new 3313 at no extra cost and I love it. I have had no issues and it has a much better interface/menu. Hope this helps.
post #112 of 156 Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks for your response. I bought the amp from a Canadian supplier thru Amazon.
Having spent more time working on the unit i.m finding less and less success! Iv'e been able to get it working several times by starting from the beginning to resetit-up from scratch but it just won't hold it's settings and keeps sending an error message that there are no surrounds and then strts turning it's self on and off! I'm going to call Denon but I've had problems getting thru to the Canadian site.
Will keep on following this up!
post #113 of 156 Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM

2 of the units that were sent to me were going into recovery mode (turning off and on). Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.
post #114 of 156 Old 12-15-2012, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone else received a message that a firmware update is available? I got the message last night while watching a blu-ray movie. I didn't start the update because I am connected wireless and don't want to chance bricking my Denon. I'll probably connect my modem directly to the receiver sometime today to get the update.
post #115 of 156 Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Firmware update information is posted in post #6 of the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig. Current information for all XX12 models (to include the 3312CI) is discussed in that thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #116 of 156 Old 12-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Firmware update information is posted in post #6 of the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig. Current information for all XX12 models (to include the 3312CI) is discussed in that thread.

Thanks somehow I forgot about that thread. I was wondering why this thread was so dead.
post #117 of 156 Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question but I saw this receiver (AVR-3312CI) at BB for $450+tax. It is an open box and missing the microphone and remote. Any opinions on whether to buy or pass?
post #118 of 156 Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM

At last I am updating my experiance wth my 3312ci defective refurb!
Good news folks, the Canadian dealer, AVGear, took back my refurb and sent me another unit but it was missing the mic for calibrating the system mad.gif
The dealer then arranged to have Denon send me a mic which I received after Xmas holiday! smile.gif
I set -up the system with no problem and it has been delivering great sound for almost a month now!
I.ve been playing some of the Linn and Concord SACDs on my OPPO 93 and they are great with the Denon and the Nuform Research 630v3 (ribbon)main speakers, NR R15 modules as surrounds, a Martin Logan motion 2 center. The 2SBs are cheapie Fideks. The sub is a Velodyne SPL1200R.
The support that I've had from the dealer has been excellent with all delivery charges paid at absolutly no cost to me except for my time! I appreciate the moral support from AVS and Phillip6414.smile.gif
Thanks guys!
post #119 of 156 Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitlsu View Post

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question but I saw this receiver (AVR-3312CI) at BB for $450+tax. It is an open box and missing the microphone and remote. Any opinions on whether to buy or pass?

hmm, if you have a good universal remote than you're fine. i don't think it would be hard to find an audysey mic to replace, you could just borrow someones, maybe someone who is near you would mail you their mic to borrow or bring it over etc. 450.00 is a good price, its 650 for a refurb.
post #120 of 156 Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM

No problem man, glad to hear that your system is working, finally.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page