Help finding a value receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I've settled on eventually purchasing the Jamo s606 hcs bundle. However I'm having trouble picking out a receiver. I'm a college student with a lack of money, so I want to pay as little as possible without wasting the Jamo speakers potential. Currently I have the Sony Ht-IS100 HTIB because I was formerly in a dorm room with no space. Now I'm stepping up to an apartment and want something better. Something at or under $300 would be great, but I realize this is improbable. I will eventually get around to getting a sub in the next few months. The system will be used evenly between movies (blueray), video games (xbox 360), and music (consideration for an auxiliary plug-in for an ipod would be great).. The music listening will be mainly for parties, and hopefully I'll be able to get them going pretty load, and get the bass going good with the 8-inch side woofers until I can get a sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharrel View Post

So, I've settled on eventually purchasing the Jamo s606 hcs bundle. However I'm having trouble picking out a receiver. I'm a college student with a lack of money, so I want to pay as little as possible without wasting the Jamo speakers potential. Currently I have the Sony Ht-IS100 HTIB because I was formerly in a dorm room with no space. Now I'm stepping up to an apartment and want something better. Something at or under $300 would be great, but I realize this is improbable. I will eventually get around to getting a sub in the next few months. The system will be used evenly between movies (blueray), video games (xbox 360), and music (consideration for an auxiliary plug-in for an ipod would be great).. The music listening will be mainly for parties, and hopefully I'll be able to get them going pretty load, and get the bass going good with the 8-inch side woofers until I can get a sub.

Denon AVR-1611
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV16...11.html?tp=179
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Yamaha RX-V467. Good receiver for the money. I got mine, new, at a local brick and mortar store for $225.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V467...8662559&sr=8-2
post #4 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Denon AVRs offer sub EQ via Audyssey MultEQ. In addition to looking at the Denon 1611, I would also "call" Electronics Expo for their best price on the newer Denon 1612 as it not only uses a nicer GUI that can display over 2D video, but also includes a front USB jack for iPods. It's MSRP is $349;however, you can likely get it for less.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

So far you guys have been really helpful. If I could get the 1612 for around the price 0f the 1611 I'd probably do that. However the price of the above-mentioned yamaha is hard to ignore. Anyone heard anything bad about it? how do yamahas do with jamo's?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
For a decent setup at a budget, check this out:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...323&CatId=4586

Onkyo receiver, Jamo speaker package. Just add a sub and you will be well set up.

EDIT: Receiver and 5.0 setup for $420
post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page