Need help selecting Onkyo receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the following 2 have really good reviews but the price difference is quite substantial

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR609-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRD8/

and

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809-Certified-7-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00505F01E/

I can afford both, but i am not sure what one i really need.

i am a purist when watching bluray, i care about clarity, output power but not about features like digital "enhancement" or connecting an ipod.

Clearly the latter has alot features, but i dont know if they really add anything to the experience, is it better overall quality wise or would i be paying for features only?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM

skipped right over the 709...

Anyway, the 509/609/709 are the same chassis.

809 is the beginning the "big boys" chassis. It shares the same chassis as the 1009. The 3/5009 will also get their own.

The biggest difference is in the quality of the goods contained inside. To support the increase in power, the power supply if quite a bit beefier.

It all comes down to taste. Will you use the rear USB? Will you use the increased networking features? The extra 25watts really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme, except it might run easier using 1/5th instead of 1/4 of its power(most people are amazed to find out that "cranking it" usually results in pumping an ear drum pounding 20 watts per channel).
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I have had the Onkyo 808 for about a little over 6 months now and love it! Seems to be somewhat of a "buzz" latley about Onkyo as they have a few issues from what I have read but I can say its been a solid performer for me. The809 is going to have a much larger cabinet design & weight vs the 609... so you may want to take that into fact when you deceide on placing the unit.

The 809 has the much better Aud. set up as it has the Audyssey MultEQ XT vs the Audyssey 2EQ the 609 has. The 809 has a bit more power, about 35w more per "2" channel but I'm not sure if that would be a huge factor for you or not. There are a few differance's but it just depends on your needs is all... as to if the "extra" dollars is worth it for you or not. I doubt you may need it but the 809 is bi-ampable to where the 609 is not, more than likely you wont need it but I thought I would at least list it in case you were thinking about it. Depending on your speakers, the 809 is also handle 4ohm speakers as to the 609 looks like it can not.

I dont know much about the newer 1080p Upscaling the 809 & 609 have as you may want to check into that a bit more. The 809 has the HQV Vida vs the 609 has the Marvell Qdeo.... as mentioned, cant help you on that one since my 808 does not have that but the 808 works quite well IMO.

In most cases people just put the "pass thru" on as they let the TV/Player do all the upconverting and scaling so thats something to take into fact as well. Its hard to say if the extra features are worth it or not as you will have to look into that. I believe if the extra features arnt a big deal or concern then I would amp for the 609 as it would save a few dollars... just me though.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys 609 it is, gonna order today at amazon unless you guys know a better deal.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I would look at the 709. The power difference between these models will probably not make much of a difference for most setups but the improved room correction should. The 2EQ found on the 609 is the lowest version of Audyssey and cannot EQ a subwoofer. The MutliEQ XT on the 709 would likely give you some improvements in sound quality especially below 80hz. Check newegg on Saturdays for the best prices on the 709.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page