Budget receiver—what should I do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, been lurking on these forums for the past few weeks in hopes of finding my first audio receiver. Let me first say that I have very little knowledge about audio video equipment, but I hope to learn as I start to build a set up of my own.

I've scoured all the threads looking at budget receivers (aka I'm a student in college)I'm looking for something with the bare minimums HDMI input and something that won't be outdated in a few years/futureproof. From what I've read from people on this forum, an automatic EQ (Yamaha's or Audyssey) is very nice to have, and I would like Wifi capabilities if both of these are not overpriced. The overall main requirement must be that this receiver will pack A LOT of power since it will be used half the time for parties. At one time I thought about getting some DJ PAs/amp but figured that would be a bad investment in the long run. I have a few nice speakers (Paradigm Atoms) that I would be using for the majority of the time (TV, movies, video games) and a random smattering of free Craigslist speakers that I figured I could use for making it loud. Tell me if I'm wrong: can you make the surround channels into the L/R stereo channels to increase the sound output? Pre-outs might be nice in case I can happen upon an amplifier.

From what I've noticed, I can pay $200-$300 for a refurb/new decent receiver...
Onkyo TX-8555 $200
Denon AVR-1611 $271
Denon AVR-591 $279

Or you can pay $300-500 for a discounted mid-range model:
Denon AVR-1911 $400
Marantz SR5003 $300
Yamaha RX-V867 $429 (until tomorrow!)
Onkyo RC-180 $350

Right now I'm leaning on paying a little more and getting a more feature filled receiver. I think they will age better and will last longer. The obvious choices are the extremely reduced price models: Onkyo RC-180 or the Yamaha RX-V867? But what would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks in advance for your help everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Roll some dice...

Eenie, meenie, minie, moe...

Pick em out of a hat...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Do you want a networking receiver?

If not check out the Denon 1712.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The 867 has network audio as well. Seems like it could use a bit more power though. I have not quite figured out why it does not sound quite right in my bedroom system. But I still recommend it as a good deal. I am maybe just spoiled by my main system.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadabbadooozy View Post

From what I've noticed, I can pay $200-$300 for a refurb/new decent receiver...
Onkyo TX-8555 $200
Denon AVR-1611 $271
Denon AVR-591 $279

Or you can pay $300-500 for a discounted mid-range model:
Denon AVR-1911 $400
Marantz SR5003 $300
Yamaha RX-V867 $429 (until tomorrow!)
Onkyo RC-180 $350

Right now I'm leaning on paying a little more and getting a more feature filled receiver. I think they will age better and will last longer. The obvious choices are the extremely reduced price models: Onkyo RC-180 or the Yamaha RX-V867? But what would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

I had the same short list on my selection of mid-range AVR's. I eventually narrowed it down to two unit... the 1911 and the V867. After visiting several high end audio stores I discovered you could fry eggs on both the Marantz and the Onkyo) so I crossed them off the list. They run way to hot for my taste. (Heat and electronics don't play well over the long run.)

To be honest... the 1911 had a slight edge when it came to the quality of the sound (warmer than the 867). But... I ended up going with the V867 because of all the features, inputs, HDMI connections, (spelled future proofing), as well as the Networking and being able to stream all my music files from my home PC is sweet....oh... and lets not forget the thousands of Internet Radio stations. In fact, now that I can't hear the 1911 and 867 side by side I think the 867 sounds great.

FYI: Newegg runs the $430 special about every other week. I let it pass by several times before I finally grabbed one. Just wait, it will be back on sale again.