Pioneer VSX-52 vs VSX-53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried searching for an existing thread, but couldn't find one.

I'm trying to decide what $200 buys when you go from the 52 to 53. I downloaded the PDFs for both units and the only differences I see are:

aluminum front panel
full band phase control
2 HDMI out
Zone 3 audio pre-out
IR

If these are the only differences between the two models, do you think they are worth $200 (over 20% more than the VSX-52)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 AM

I too have been looking at exactly the same 2 receivers and really have no idea which one would be best. Are they even available yet?
I can't seem to find anyone carrying them yet. Would love to get someone on here who can share some knowledge.
Thx guys.
post #3 of 100 Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Yea not much difference. I think I may pull the trigger on the 52. But I was also looking at the sc-35 which is onsale right now at Sound Advice for 999
soundadvice dot com
post #4 of 100 Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Image' View Post

Yea not much difference. I think I may pull the trigger on the 52. But I was also looking at the sc-35 which is onsale right now at Sound Advice for 999
soundadvice dot com

The SC-35 doesn't have an RF remote and you'll have a hard time adjusting the video settings. I had the SC-37 with an RF remote and it showed the video settings and volume level on the remote and the unit itself. These setting are not displayed on your TV. If you have a discontinued Pioneer Kuro TV, the volume level does show on the TV.

The network connectivity on the SC-35 and 37 is a joke. I ended up returning my SC-37 because of this and inability to see the volume level and video settings on my TV.

I don't think they offer HDMI standby pass through.

It does sound fantastic when playing music and runs very cool. I tried Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer, and this was my favorite for sound quality.
post #5 of 100 Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Between the 52 and 53, neither is "better"...

The 53 has more features(more features does not make "better", it just has more features).

aluminum front panel (looks nicer...do you care?)
full band phase control (makes set-up easier. As if it is hard without it)
2 HDMI out (have a 2nd display?)
Zone 3 audio pre-out (do you need 3rd Zone?)

If the answer to any of that is "yes"...

Buy the 53.
post #6 of 100 Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobelAli View Post

The SC-35 doesn't have an RF remote and you'll have a hard time adjusting the video settings. I had the SC-37 with an RF remote and it showed the video settings and volume level on the remote and the unit itself. These setting are not displayed on your TV. If you have a discontinued Pioneer Kuro TV, the volume level does show on the TV.

The network connectivity on the SC-35 and 37 is a joke. I ended up returning my SC-37 because of this and inability to see the volume level and video settings on my TV.

I don't think they offer HDMI standby pass through.

It does sound fantastic when playing music and runs very cool. I tried Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer, and this was my favorite for sound quality.

This is good info. THX. Ok say maybe I better think about the vsx-52 even more. Anyone have one of these who can give their input?
post #7 of 100 Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi all,
I was over at the Pioneer VSX 1121-K thread and much was discussed about the Elite VSX 52..Because it is so close to the Elite VSX 52

Link here..http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1330154

As stated in that thread I just picked up my Elite VSX 52 this afternoon.
I just finished setting up my Main: Front: Left, Center and Right.
I have not done my Surrounds or the MCACC..that's for tomorrow or Saturday.

So far I really like it and in a dark room the Yellow/Gold text highlighted with the blue indicating lights looks awesome.
I have the Pio VSX 1020 in my Bedroom.
I got a good deal on my E52 at Best Buy along with 36 months same as Cash with my BB Card!

As far as the $200.00 extra for the Elite VSX 53 Schan1269's response was right on!
Quote:

aluminum front panel (looks nicer...do you care?)
full band phase control (makes set-up easier. As if it is hard without it)
2 HDMI out (have a 2nd display?)
Zone 3 audio pre-out (do you need 3rd Zone?)

It really depends if it's features are one's that you cannot live without.
In my case the E53 did not warrant the move up, the E52 does all that I want and I do not really need to spend the extra $$$ for a second HDMI out.
In fact while I was at Best Buy they tried to sell me UP to the E53 but I said that really the only difference is the 2nd HDMI Out.
They said that no the processing was different and some others features but I said that I do not think so (I had done my homework)
so the two salesman go to their comparison book that shows the E52 next to the E53 and going down the list was really just the 2nd HDMI Out.
The Processing etc.. is the same.

One thing about the 2nd HDMI Out..
I originally thought (when I got my VSX 1020-K and threads were talking about receivers with 2 HDMI Outs) that if I had a receiver with 2 HDMI Outs then I could set it up as below...

HDMI Out 1: HTPC into the Receiver's HDMI 1 In and then out HDMI 1 to my HDTV.
HDMI Out 2: Cable Box DVR into HDMI 2 on Receiver and then Out HDMI 2 to my HDTV.

Then because my HDTV allows me to adjust each HDMI Input independently of each other, I could set my Color Levels etc..etc.. per what looks best for my HTPC,
and then set the other HDMI in on my HDTV for my Cable Box and any specific changes that were needed.

However after setting up my VSX 1020 with just the one HDMI Out to my HDTV I found that I did not need to do that at all, and by using just a single Input on my HDTV,
the picture looks Great no matter what Input I chose on the Pioneer 1020 and / or now my E52!
Not to mention that there are 6 HDMI's in on my 1020 (7 on my E52) and for the above to really be of service I would need multiple HDMI outs,
or just be constantly switching and routing this HDMI to this Out etc..etc... Way to much thought and work LOL!

I now have my HTPC going into HDMI 1 on my 1020 and now my new Elite VSX 52 and my Time Warner Cable Box going into HDMI 2 on my 1020 and also HDMI 2 on my new Elite VSX 52.
This way I just need to toggle back and forth on my remote with the two arrows (Left & Right) up near the top of the remote under "Signal Select" each Arrow moves me forward or backward through the receivers Inputs.
Because HDMI 1 is next to HDMI 2 on the Input select then a push on Arrow Right takes me to HDMI 2 and then the Left Arrow gets me back to HDMI 1
So simple as these are my two most used Inputs on my Pioneer Receivers.
I do not have to choose HDMI 1 out on my receiver and then on my HDTV's HDMI In and then HDMI 2 out on my receiver and in my HDTV's HDMI IN..too much work and
I found that once the HDTV is set up with a Great Picture no matter what Input I choose on my Pioneer Receiver it looks just Great through my ONE HDMI Out to my HDTV!
So, that's my take on 2 HDMI's out on a Receiver.

Two thumbs up so far for the E52...

Later,

Bud B
post #8 of 100 Old 07-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,
I just did my first Firmware Update for my Elite VSX 52.
The Update just came out yesterday on July, 15th.
It is mainly for Rhapsody and even though I do not have Rhapsody at this time, I wanted to maintain my E52 with the latest Firmware and it gave me a chance to go through this process.
Not to mention that I have only had my E52 for 2 days, if it messed up I could return it.

First I down loaded the update from the Pioneer website which is in the form of a zip file.
I then right clicked on the file and clicked "Extract To" followed by Browsing / Leading it to the USB drive that was plugged in.
Pioneer just wants the actual File on the USB Stick and nothing else.

I had first grabbed a Sandisc Cruzer but their USB Sticks come pre-Loaded with their own Software, and not wanting to delete their software, I found a 1GB Bare-Bones USB Stick and deleted the old files that I had on it.
Right clicking on the USB Stick and then going to Properties, confirmed that it was a FAT 32 Formatted USB Stick.

Now that I had extracted the Firmware Update to the USB Stick I went to the VSX52, turned it on by pressing the Stand-by / On button and followed through the instructions that I had printed out.
It is pretty straight forward and the instructions are good for the Novice on Up.
The Up-Load bar that moves across to track the update install seemed to stick at 50% for awhile but then I walked out of the room and came back in and the E52 was just turning itself off.

I turned on the E52 and went to check for the Software Version and it did not show up, the Software Update was Greyed out.
So, I turned the E52 Off with the Stand-by button and then back on and then when I went into the Setup I did see that the Software Update was not Greyed out and upon clicking on it the new Firmware Version was there.
I had also written out what the original Firmware Version was before I did the update.
The Original Firmware Version was 1-191-086-115-063 and after the update it is now 1-191-086-119-069.

Just an FYI...

Have a Great Day!

Bud B

Firmware Link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...2?tab=firmware
post #9 of 100 Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Here are the brochures for the Elite VSX 52 & 53
Check out the Bold areas on the Elite VSX 53 and those are the only differences between the 52 & 53...

Elite VSX 52 Brochure:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

Elite VSX 53 Brochure:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

Have a Great Sunday or whatever day you read this....

Bud B
post #10 of 100 Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I got me a VSX-52. Moved up from a 1021K. After a few days. it's not bad. I'm using Martin Logan Motion 10's for the bad boy and a 12" Klipsch Synergy sub. Might be better if I got better towers maybe, i don't know. Don't know if it'll make a difference or not.
post #11 of 100 Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Wild_Fyer,

So you moved from the 1021 to the E52, that's quite the change.
Were you unhappy with the 1021?
You could have also gone the 1121 route but I too chose the E52 over the 1121.
I like the few differences, the overall Look of the Elite and the extra year of Warranty and for $100.00 I figured what the heck, I'm worth it, not to mention 36 months same as cash with my BB card!

So, Are you happy with your change?

The MCACC Setup with all of the Pioneers is really important, especially in conjunction with Speaker placement.
Take special care as to where you place your mic!
I put mine on a tripod by where I sit.

You said,
Quote:

Might be better if I got better towers maybe, i don't know. Don't know if it'll make a difference or not.

I looked up your Martin Logan Motion 10's, 9 reviews on Amazon and everyone gives them 5 out of 5!
From your statement are you insinuating that you do not like how they sound?
Of course to be honest, Who would not want their Home Entertainment to Sound perfect, within reason and budget!
I admit that I do need to change out my Main Left & Right Speakers, I like my Surrounds and Center channel which is the Sound Bar that came with my Pioneer Kuro Plasma HDTV.
But my main Speakers are my weakest link, I'll absorb this change and cost for a bit, and do some research into a good pair of mains.
Though even with my current speakers...when it comes to the sound ..
It does not Suck! So I can live with it for awhile!

I will be tweaking my E52 over time, I did as much with the Pioneer 1020 that is in my bedroom and I really love how that sounds now!
I played with my E52 over the weekend and got it sounding pretty good..
A learning curve for sure, so many sound adjustment that this beast has over my older 1020. But I'm getting there.

Well enjoy your Elite 52, I am sure that it has all that it needs to give you a Great Sounding Environment!
Not to mention that the display looks great in the Dark!

Later,
Bud B
post #12 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 AM

Well since i'm a newb at this AVR thing, thought I'd go for a mid price avr Pioneer 1021. Was happy at first then it started acting buggy. Yes, theirs firmware updates for these things but don't want to deal with a buggy system. So thought i'd just spend another $400 to move up to a E52, the sound and picture quality is nice. Was a big jump, likyou said, why not spend a lil for me. LOL. same thinking. I thought about the E30 something but heck, more futures such as Marvell QDEO, Pandora, etc.

Motion 10's do sound great, hit's hard. Guess i'm being a lil snobby and started to want bigger and better toys.

I'm still a newb at this avr thing so I might not make sense.
post #13 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Wild_Flyer,
I thought that was a great response..

The Elite SC 35 & 37 are still last years models and have not been updated like the VSX 50 Series have.
You can see that in their specs and they are missing most of the Updates that went into the E52 & 53, so I would not buy them at this point either.

Quote:

Motion 10's do sound great, hit's hard.
I'm still a newb at this avr thing so I might not make sense.

With each new year and improved Feature set, we are all constantly learning about the newer and better gear.
I am by no means a Pro at this AVR revolution either, but I try and read and keep up with what is going on.

I get "Sound & Vision" Mag and I am blown away by what people will spend for this stuff!
Nowhere near my Ball Park...every now and then they will throw the regular folk working for a living a bone! LOL!
In their last June/July issue they have Thiel Audio SCS4T Tower Speakers that are $3,690/Pair.. Your Motion 10's cost about 10% of what these speakers cost!
They have a Sharp XV-Z17000 3D Projector that costs $4995.00!
Wow! 5K to hang on your ceiling for 3D..Which is a bargain because I have seen projectors that go for $15,000!
Granted both of these Items are probably Great but almost 10 grand for a projector and 2 Speakers, these people truly live outside of most peoples realm!

So, can I ever hope for the likes of that NO, but I do what I can in my own little Domain!
A thousand Dollars for my E52 is about Tops for me and when I need speakers, I am in the Motion 10 ball park on what I can spend!
Still even at that I would have a $1500.00 plus investment in watching TV and Listening to Music!

Oh and if you want a really good set of In-Ears to plug into your $200.00 I-Pod they have a pair of JH Audio JH16 Pro In Ears for $1150.00 and Up, don't forget your Ear molds!

So when you say,
Quote:

Guess i'm being a lil snobby and started to want bigger and better toys.

You have a long way to go to get into into Snobbishness territory! Go for what you can afford and like..screw the Snobbishness Factor!

Probably like most of us at this point...I have some friends of mine that are out of work..I don't have the heart to even tell them that I just dropped a Grand on a Receiver for my living room!

Crazy Times that We are Living in Today!

Enjoy your AV Setup..it could be a lot worse!

Bud B
post #14 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 AM

I almost went the ONKYO route because the BestBuy I went to sold out the E52. The features on the TX-NR709 looked good to, which had all the E52 specs, also liked the on screen overlay of the GUI. Plus audiophile peeps rave on how good the Audyssey is over the MCAAC. I was a bit flustered working on the MCAAC so imagine me trying the work the Audyssey option. LOL.. I'm a bit curious though on the Audyssey sound calibrator. So having experience with the Pioneer 1021 options, I stuck with Pioneer and went for the E52. Ohh, I had to drive to another bestbuy store that had the E52 available.

I hope the features on the E52 will at least last 3-5 years with the technology moving so fast. I never really imagined how much stereo equipment cost. This is really my first looking into audio equipment since I bought house. No longer living in an apartment so I don't have to worry about other tenants.

The biggest invest I've spent was the 42 Samsung LCD . Now to top that, it's the E52 on top of the list. WOW.. 1 Grand on a receiver. Ouch Like what you said BUD. I don't have the heart to tell friends how much the receiver is. Yikes. I have friends to that are out of work and here I am splurging on my sound system. Good thing my friends think Blows (Bose) are the best in the stereo world. Ahahah LOL.. If they were audiophile nerds, I'd be in deep water.

I sure am loving the sound, High's, Mids and Lows, was missing out on all the sound before.

BUD B: let me know if you have anything you have learned or any tricks on the E52. =

TIP on the E52: The video conversion is defaulted to PLASMA, make sure it's set to the correct set LCD. PLP, something like that. I don't have the manual with me at work, but make sure you set your Video options to the correct settings.
post #15 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Thank you all for your input. They are sold out at my local BB but ill waiy for it.

I would go with the Onkyo BUT I have an Onkyo here TX-SR803 that I paid a GOOD chunk of cash for that fails intermitently to produce audio output. Worst part is it doesnt happen all the time so I guess Ill replace it and MAYBE send it off to get fixed. GRRRRR. No more Onkyo's for me. I do like the HD radio feature on the Onkyo and Yamahas so maybe I should look into a 2000 series Yamaha too....ahhhh decisions decisions...thanks for all the feedback guys...I do appreciate it...
post #16 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM

On your intermittent 803...try blowing out the headphone jack with some compressed air.
post #17 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Me again,
I purchased the Pioneer VSX 1020-K in May of 2010 for my bedroom, and the only time that I needed to go into the GUI was during my initial setup period, same as now with my Elite 52.
Since then I never go into it or look at it, that is why the Onkyo Overlay GUI to me is more of a gimmick than anything else!
I see the Onkyo GUI feature brought up time and time again....it just needs to be kept in perspective.
There have been a lot of posts about Onkyo's problems, with over-heating being one of them.
The Pioneers on the other hand run at very low heat, just warm!
I like that especially when installing them into a cabinet.

If you look back through all of the Pioneer threads, none discuss any problems with the equipment, but mainly questions about how to do this or that!
Learning how to best take advantage of their new receiver's features.
That was important to me but I still bought the Extended Warranty because Sh_t Happens! LOL!

Because I love my 1020 and in over a year it has produced Great Audio and knock on wood never a hiccup!
So naturally when I was thinking about adding a receiver for my living room and to match up with my Pioneer 5020 Kuro Plasma HDTV, it was a no brainer..it was going to be a Pioneer,
I just had to decide on the Model.
After much investigation I decided on the Elite VSX 52 and so far, like my 1020, I have been very happy!
The VSX 1121 was also in my consideration because it has most of the same features that the Elite 52 has.

Wild_Fyer asked,
Quote:

let me know if you have anything you have learned or any tricks on the E52

I just setup my Surrounds on Sunday and performed the MCACC, I have not started tweaking but will probably be doing that next weekend when I have some time to play.
During the Week, work just does not give me time to get into it like I would like to.
I am debating on Speaker stands or wall mounting for my Surrounds and when I finally have my Speakers final resting place set, I will need to do a Memory 2 MCACC and compare the one that I have now with the newer Mem 2 setup.
It's a definite work in progress but I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Lastly, Good Luck "Image" on your final choice for your receiver

Later,
Bud B
post #18 of 100 Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Me again,
I purchased the Pioneer VSX 1020-K in May of 2010 for my bedroom, and the only time that I needed to go into the GUI was during my initial setup period, same as now with my Elite 52.
Since then I never go into it or look at it, that is why the Onkyo Overlay GUI to me is more of a gimmick than anything else!
I see the Onkyo GUI feature brought up time and time again....it just needs to be kept in perspective.
There have been a lot of posts about Onkyo's problems, with over-heating being one of them.
The Pioneers on the other hand run at very low heat, just warm!
I like that especially when installing them into a cabinet.

If you look back through all of the Pioneer threads, none discuss any problems with the equipment, but mainly questions about how to do this or that!
Learning how to best take advantage of their new receiver's features.
That was important to me but I still bought the Extended Warranty because Sh_t Happens! LOL!

Because I love my 1020 and in over a year it has produced Great Audio and knock on wood never a hiccup!
So naturally when I was thinking about adding a receiver for my living room and to match up with my Pioneer 5020 Kuro Plasma HDTV, it was a no brainer..it was going to be a Pioneer,
I just had to decide on the Model.
After much investigation I decided on the Elite VSX 52 and so far, like my 1020, I have been very happy!
The VSX 1121 was also in my consideration because it has most of the same features that the Elite 52 has.

Wild_Fyer asked,
I just setup my Surrounds on Sunday and performed the MCACC, I have not started tweaking but will probably be doing that next weekend when I have some time to play.
During the Week, work just does not give me time to get into it like I would like to.
I am debating on Speaker stands or wall mounting for my Surrounds and when I finally have my Speakers final resting place set, I will need to do a Memory 2 MCACC and compare the one that I have now with the newer Mem 2 setup.
It's a definite work in progress but I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Lastly, Good Luck "Image" on your final choice for your receiver

Later,
Bud B

I appreciate all you have offered Bud B thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

On your intermittent 803...try blowing out the headphone jack with some compressed air.

will do thanks...never even crossed my mind.
post #19 of 100 Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Bud B: You think if I move down to a VSX-521, will I be losing a lot of sound quality? I was thinking of maybe using the extra money to upgrade my t.v from a 42" to a Samsung LCD in the 50" inch range and go into the 1080p.

LCD right now is a 42" Samsung 1080i.
post #20 of 100 Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy Wild_Fyer,
WOW! With a name that has "WILD" in it you sure are living up to it!
You are all over, from the VSX 1021 to the Elite VSX 52 and now all the way back down to the VSX 521!
Now that's a ride..You must be driving the BB Salesmen Crazy! LOL!

To answer your question, I would assume that there would be a difference, not only in the Audio but in the Video as well.
The Elite VSX 52 has been compared to the VSX 1121, so here is the comparison of the VSX 1121 to the VSX 521, as you go down the list you will see what you lose going backwards to the VSX 521.
The Compare feature page did not work when I tried to copy the URL to here.
Let me try this instead..Compare the VSX's like the VSX 1121 to the VSX 521 that is a more even comparison of the Elite 52 to the 521.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

It's not until you get to the VSX 921 that you start to get Audio processing and Video Processing in the 1080P.

You probably lose more on the Video side than the Audio.
But because your Video goes through the Pioneer, it is something that you need to consider.
If Pioneer could duplicate their Audio and Video processing across all models then everyone would buy the $250.00 VSX 521...
There will be a difference, I am just unsure how much.

I understand wanting a new HDTV with 1080P but then you will want the Audio and Video Processing Quality of the VSX 1121 or the Elite 52 that play on the 1080P processing.
You would be in an Evil circle.....what you have now is a receiver probably better than your HDTV, but if you did the switch to the 521 and a new 1080P, then your HDTV would be better than your 521 and you would then want to go back to the VSX 1121 or Elite 52.

Bottom line you will be buying the 521 to just get you by until after the HDTV Upgrade and you can once again afford to move back up to a better receiver! I know it!
You could later on try and sell the 521 on ebay.

It's a tough call, the E52 and even the VSX 1121 key in on 1080P so much rather than 1080I.
Maybe just going back to the 521 and getting your new 50" HDTV with 1080P and at least knowing that the 521 is not going to do for you what the higher end models will do,
will get you a new goal to save up for..

There is only one way to find out!
Good Luck!

Bud B
PS Rather than take the $250.00 step back to the 521 put the whole amount towards the HDTV, providing you could find a real cheapish receiver to tide you over.
Know anyone with an old Stereo you could use for awhile?
I just hate you buying the 521 that you will later need to get rid of, unless you can use it by the pool or a second bedroom...something like that!
I do love my 50" Kuro so I can understand the wanting of a new 50" HDTV! Been there Done That!
post #21 of 100 Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Bud B: .. Actually I went from an open item 821, to a brand new 821, then to a 1021 and finally the E52. Ahahah... What a roller coaster ride. You got that right, "wild". BB salesman is pretty cool. I like them a lot then the car salesman peeps.

Was a sad day today though, returned the E52 and Motion 10's. I didn't pull the trigger on a tv yet since from my last experience with the receivers. I want to make sure I make the right decision and not have to exchange it for someting better. I was going to just get the 821 and motion 2's but still debating.

Thanks for the comparison link Bud B. I was thinking about the video part of the receiver, I mean, I already have a PS3 that can do 1080p so the Marvell QDEO is kinda useless. And if I kept the E52 and later on got me a 50" LED that had the capability to process 1080p and calibrate the picture then the video part of the E52 is useless. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The audio part is probably I'll be losing but from moving up and up in the Pioneer receiver world. I couldn't really tell the sound difference. I guess that's why I kept on moving up to a bigger and better toy.

So all day at work i couldn't concentrate.. AVR was all in my mind.. What a waste... thanks again Bud B for shedding some light on my delema.
post #22 of 100 Old 07-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Wild,

The whole idea of the new realm of receivers whether it is a Pioneer or Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon etc..etc.. is that they become your Central Hub of Audio and Video.
With the HDMI's In and Out, the receivers extract the Video and the Audio for all of your Visual and Surround needs.
You could just run a Digital Optic Toslink cable from each separate piece of equipment and by-pass the receiver's HDMI and run the HDMI's straight to the HDTV.
This is the setup that I had with my Pioneer 50" Kuro HDTV, my TWC cable box and my HTPC went via HDMI into my Kuro via separate HDMI Inputs and then I took off the Audio.
Also Digital Optic Toslink does not produce Surround as well as HDMI does.

The most efficient way to do this is via HDMI and thus why the new receivers have HDMI In's for all of your equipment, even your PS3.
(If you check the VSX 1020 thread it talks in length of people running their PS3's through the receiver, the Game Sound and Video are great!)
This allows the receiver to truly process the Audio Surrounds of today, such as DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, Dolby Pro-Logic IIz, DTS 96/24 and on and on..

To do this though they cannot shortcut your Video that travels through the receiver and why you will see Marvell Qdeo up to 1080p / 24fps, HDMI 36-bit Deep Color,
Advanced Video Adjust - HD Sources Progressive Motion - YNR, CNR, BNR, MNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black level.
I think that some receivers will also pass your video untouched to your HDTV but you can do the experiment, go directly to your HDTV by by-passing the receiver..then go to your HDTV by using the HDMI Through the receiver,,do you notice an improvement or degradation?

I was serious when I said that my Kuro actually looks better after going through the E52.

Bottom line is that the receivers are always getting better and the HDTV's are getting better at processing the Audio and Video..if your outboard equipment are new and do this as well as the A/V receiver's (Go Spec to Spec) then just purchase a Surround Amplifier that relies on external processing and it just Amplifies what it gets.
That is another option.

Good luck, just get to know Google and do A/V searches, when you find a HDTV, do just like we have done here and download the OP Manual and then check out the specs..Apples to Apples!
Be a sponge and learn until you feel really comfortable that you can make your best decision.
I do a lot of Searches for Reviews, type what you want to review then a comma and the subject..like this...HDTV,reviews or Blu-Ray Players,reviews
I also like Cnet's reviews for equipment...

Good luck in your searches, I'm sure that ALL of Best Buy will really appreciate it as well! LOL!

Later,
Bud B
post #23 of 100 Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Bud B: thanks again for shedding light on my issues. Too bad they don't make receivers like Desktop PC's. Choose the hardware you need and good to go. Other than that, we're buying components that have extra futures we don't need.
post #24 of 100 Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Wild,

Quote:

Too bad they don't make receivers like Desktop PC's. Choose the hardware you need and good to go.

It's not just Hardware anymore..So much of it is in the Software to hardware Blend!
Our Lives revolve around Software!

Though I will say, even the customizable desktop PC's are getting pretty rare, Gateway, HP, most don't even do that anymore.
I think that Dell is about the only Puter manufacture that you can actually call and place a custom order!

Quote:

Other than that, we're buying components that have extra futures we don't need.

I'm not really following you on that one...you can get just about any kind of receiver these days, from bare bones to fully blown out!
The manufacturers are really just following our needs, if we did not buy them, then they would not make them.
Pioneer alone must have about 11 new models.

Get your HDTV and save up for a new Receiver and Speakers OR Get your Receiver and Speakers and save up for your HDTV OR Get your HDTV and a lesser receiver for upgrade later.
See, you have choices, so just make them and get going.. Good Luck!

Later,
Bud B
post #25 of 100 Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM

well i pulled the trigger but it was tha yamaha rxa-710bl that won me over...so far its wowed me. i got a great deal on it. ill send the ol onkyo off to be fixed while i enjoy the yamaha.
post #26 of 100 Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Fyer View Post

I got me a VSX-52. Moved up from a 1021K. After a few days. it's not bad. I'm using Martin Logan Motion 10's for the bad boy and a 12" Klipsch Synergy sub. Might be better if I got better towers maybe, i don't know. Don't know if it'll make a difference or not.

better speakers/subwoofers will almost always make a difference*...

"better" avrs/pre-pros, unless you require the features**, will almost always NOT make a difference...

your speakers/room make up virtually ALL of what you "hear"...

* assuming your room isn't a complete acoustical disaster...

** note that "features" include "better room correction"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #27 of 100 Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you do mean anamorphic lens, not 3d, correct?

fwiw, "regular working people" have been known to spend significant funds on a/v stuff... it's all a matter of priorities...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #28 of 100 Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Hi ccotenj,
I had to chuckle when I read:
Quote:

fwiw, "regular working people" have been known to spend significant funds on a/v stuff... it's all a matter of priorities...

I can definitely relate..I have been in a Working Band ever since High School and I have invested well over $30,000.00 in Pro Gear and PA!
I tell people that hey, some people like to Golf (look at the $$ that they Spend) and some may like Classic Cars (Big $$$) etc...etc...
My thing is Music.. and yes, I will spend Crazy $$ to do so!
To each his or her own, we all have our Priorities as you say, and what really Floats our boat!

To me I see $5,000 for a projector and yet I will spend more than that on a Mixing Console or thousands on Home Speakers and I will spend that on JBL Speakers and not think twice!
So, my correction!
To each his own..though I will say, at least with my Pro Audio expenses, I do make $$ from Gigs to help pay for it!
I Probably have one of the few interests that can actually see a monetary return, (Which I usually put back into more Equipment..LOL! Never enough!) though some Fisherman and Golfers
can win Tournaments if they can get good enough!

Unfortunately exorbitant Home Theaters costing in the Thousands and Thousands can only reap the reward that one finds when they are immersed in their own created Video and Audio Aura!
I have no problem with them at all..Life is tough enough and whatever your release is I say go for it!

My Dad could never understand my Pro-Audio expenses!
Geez am I being my Dad when I made my previous statement! LOL!
So, I stand Corrected...Spend...Spend...Spend...LOL!
As long as you can still take care of your Family and pay your Bills..see there's my Dad again...Wow!

Have Great Day!

Bud B
post #29 of 100 Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Image,
I'm Glad that you made your choice..I checked the specs..It is definitely no Elite VSX 52, but I am still hopeful that it will bring you much happiness!
If not don't forget that were always here!
What's that saying, "After you have tried the Rest, you can come back to the Best!" LOL!
I'm kidding..(No, I'm Not) Yes I am (No, I'm Not!) LOL..I guess that I'm torn!

OK, now get outta here and go find the thread for the Yamaha RXA-710Bl...LOL!

It was nice knowing ya!

The above is all in Fun..(Life is way too Short!) Have Great One and Enjoy your new Toy!

Bud B
PS. My Brother is a big Yamaha Receiver Fan...What the Hell does he know?!
post #30 of 100 Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,
A few Pics of my Elite VSX 52.
Please note that this is not it's final resting place, just a quick setup location.
LL
LL
LL
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page