OK so I am a bit of a noobie and probably will never have enough time to learn/research all that I need to so any help is much appreciated.
I setup a small home theater a couple years ago- HD projector, OTA HDTV tuner, Xbox360 and DVD player. Recently have added/upgraded with a HTPC and BR player. Initially used a small set of 5.1 Dayton speakers + sub for sound but am slowly replacing speakers for better sound. My biggest mistake to date was buying a low end AVR that didnt pass HDMI audio and I want to get HD audio now from the BR. But it was cheap and has served me well for 5 years. So I want to purchase a new AVR with the following considerations:
- needs to be mid level, 2 kids in college soon, so ~$500 budget or less
- currently running 5.1 and going to 7.1 or more is difficult due to the room but having the option of 7.1 would be nice
- probably will not need 2 zones but again option is nice
- audessey is nice but not a deal breaker as is 3D pass through
- an important option is to be able to drive 4 ohm speakers at some point in the future. I recently built tritrix tl for L/R mains and will be adding a center soon and better sats eventually. But I enjoyed the diy speaker thing and can see more in the future but there are not a lot of 8 ohm designs especially ones that would be an improvement over the Tritrix I have now. So from what I have read, a 4 ohm speced AVR is out of my budget as are pre/pro amps.
So are there AVR options with pre-outs that meet my needs? That way I can add separate amps when/if I ever need 4 ohm speakers driven. The room is fairly small and I dont need huge amounts of power. My current 80 wpc Sony AVR never is pushed and I have a powered subwoofer. Thanks and sorry for the novel, tried to anticipate most questions